Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

wiegieman posted:

Don't use ENB, use ReShade. It's much more user friendly and it lets you adjust things in real time.

ENBs can be quite poo poo and ruin performance. However, if he has a good video card and runs an FPS friendly ENB it should be no isse. Such as Rudy or Snowfall. Both look great BTW, none of that DoF nonsense. ENBs do a lot more then reshades.

EDIT:

Project ENB is also something a lot of people will like if they enjoy more traditional ENB effects like DoF and sun scattering. Not my personal favorite, but a really solid one.

Midig fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Terrorforge posted:

One time I went to Nexus page for FROST, the Fallout 4 survival overhaul, to point out a pretty major level design flaw to the author. There was this point of no return close to the starting area where you'd drop down and had no way back up. From there there were two paths. One that lead to an impassable gauntlet of narrow walkways teeming with enemies that would spot you from half a mile away and instakill you the moment they touched you, and another that lead to a huge, sprawling area with plenty of goodies, spread out enemies you could actually fight - and a dead end. So by the time you realized that the only way out was through the impossible gauntlet, you'd already spent hours painstakingly killing, exploring and looting your way through the cul-de-sac and were now faced with the choice of either cheating or throwing away a whole afternoon's worth of progress.

His response? "You should have thought about that before jumping down."

Modders are never* good designers.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I need to try this Snowfall, I guess. I'm a sucker for trying new presets as part of my vague attempts to write one myself (I don't recommend it)

wiegieman posted:

Don't use ENB, use ReShade. It's much more user friendly and it lets you adjust things in real time.

ENB lets you adjust things in realtime also? shift-f12, my friend

also as with reshade, it's down to the preset you use. A lot of ENB presets are bad and/or require a chain of 574,000 mods to look "as intended" which is usually bad, so there are only a few gems out there. But I guarantee I could find a ton of poo poo reshade presets too :shrug:

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Psion posted:

Also as with reshade, it's down to the preset you use. A lot of ENB presets are bad and/or require a chain of 574,000 mods to look "as intended" which is usually bad, so there are only a few gems out there. But I guarantee I could find a ton of poo poo reshade presets too :shrug:

For most Reshades I have seen, you would be better off downloading Purity or CoT and turning up/down the gamma.

Midig fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 18, 2017

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Don't use ENB or ReShade, use Imaginator, available for Oldrim or SE. Uses in-engine effects with negligible performance hit.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Is it safe doing a playthrough with the new SKSE 64bit for SkyUI or should I not bother?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
It’s fine

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Agents are GO! posted:

Don't use ENB or ReShade, use Imaginator, available for Oldrim or SE. Uses in-engine effects with negligible performance hit.

Why would you guys bother to mod Skyrim if you are playing it with a microwave?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Because modding is the game.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Midig posted:

You shouldn't waste your computer on post-processing effects, you should instead use it to further the largest and roundest pair of breasts and the floppiest dong. It's like you don't even Skyrim

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Don't forget the high resolution silverware textures.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I refuse to use any weapon other than dual wielding a knife and fork.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agents are GO! posted:

Don't forget the high resolution silverware textures.

Same, but posh mudcrabs instead.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Midig posted:

Is Boris still using a 560 or something like that?

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

KakerMix posted:

You shouldn't waste your computer on post-processing effects, you should instead use it to further the largest and roundest pair of breasts and the floppiest dong. It's like you don't even Skyrim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPyD-mnPXGM

Relevant and definitely NSFW.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I spend my megaflops on rendering the finest avian fauna the Nexus has to offer.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

A.o.D. posted:

I spend my megaflops on rendering the finest avian fauna the Nexus has to offer.

Indeed, Big Cocks of Skyrim is worth every FPS.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."
I've never installed a body replacer because I considered it would be immersion breaking if every female NPC in Skyrim had a cartoonish centerfold body. Consequently I don't know much about how they work.

But after giving Bijin Wives a try, which includes the option to install UNP or CBBE bodies along with it, I decided I kinda like doing body replacement for a few important NPCs (e.g. my wives).

My question now is if I want to expand this to a few more NPCs, is there any straightforward way to do this selectively? Can I install CBBE or UNP without having it effect every NPC? Likewise, with armor/clothing replacers for CBBE/UNP compatibility, will it break if I have CBBE-friendly tavern clothes or Nocturnal's Robes installed but not all the NPCs are affected by CBBE?

Any advice on this is appreciated!

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Yes, but unless you have memory to spare, note that unique body models will be just that - exclusive to every individual NPC, where they used to all share like 3 models or something. Having one or two NPCs with a unique model isn't a big deal. Having dozens with unique 4K textures on the other hand.

The reason to just use UNP, or CBBE across all NPC is because they straight replace the vanilla models. So while they are high quality models or can be used with high resolution textures, because they are shared across most NPCs, they don't actually impose a significant increase in demand on resources.

There are ways around this, since each NPC has an entry telling it which model to use, which is how the unique NPC body models even work - and you COULD tell them to just point to a single model. But again - after you're editing dozens of NPC records, you had just as well replace all NPC body models and call it a day - particularly since mixing and matching body types (Vanilla with UNP with CBBE) means some of your armors will not be "compatible", resulting in broken seams, distorted textures, etc. You could of course work around this by only equipping respective NPCs with armors that are installed specifically for respective models, which isn't a big deal on followers, but prior to getting the opportunity to change NPC equipment, ur waifus are going to have floating hands.

Recommendation: just use CBBE with a vanilla/like preset, nevernude, and something like the "Mature" skin texture or something like it. Body mods do not require pin-up aesthetics; unless you're looking for a male body replacer.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Gonna do a poo poo in markarth

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

What is the general opinion on Fresh Faces mod? Seems to do the same as Bijin, but I think the hair is a bit better, which seems quite a doll like for some characters in Bijin. Which is quite out of place on the orcs.

Midig fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Dec 21, 2017

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I dunno what Skyrim to go with frankly. SE seems to have some good new mods, whereas stuff I liked from old Skyrim such as the remastered default hairs and ponytails haven't been made for SE yet... and the only hair mods I can find for SE are all doll like and weird.

e: Installing both because why the gently caress not

Falken fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 21, 2017

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Falken posted:

I dunno what Skyrim to go with frankly. SE seems to have some good new mods, whereas stuff I liked from old Skyrim such as the remastered default hairs and ponytails haven't been made for SE yet... and the only hair mods I can find for SE are all doll like and weird.

The general opinion is that SSE has more potential due to better performance and stability, but that certain ENB effects, SKSE functionality, and a solid mod manager are still to live up to Oldrims standards. Of those functionalities they seem to be coming along in the order I put it in. Which means I will have to wait a long time for SSE since I honestly just can't go over to it until they got stable Mod Organizer. All of that said some people swear by SSE and they might be correct. But I am not abandoning my monster load order in Oldrim until SSE is the clear choice to go for.

Midig fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 21, 2017

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

My biggest problem with modding is that I am going way past what I would need to enjoy the game and modding feels like an endless project. 30 mods is probably enough to make it fun, not crash and fun to play while making it feel engaging and new. I got at least 300. However, once I have a new solid mod I cant get rid of it and be satisfied with my load order. Most mods you don't even know that you want before you see it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Midig fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 21, 2017

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

NihilCredo posted:

Indeed, Big Cocks of Skyrim is worth every FPS.

Asking for re-post of the "Man Flying Through Air While Massive Dong Flails About" gif because I forgot to save it last time.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Midig posted:

My biggest problem with modding is that I am going way past what I would need to enjoy the game and modding feels like an endless project. 30 mods is probably enough to make it fun, not crash and fun to play while making it feel engaging and new. I got at least 300. However, once I have a new solid mod I cant get rid of it and be satisfied with my load order. Most mods you don't even know that you want before you see it.

I used to do that but then I went in the opposite direction so now my modlist is as minimal as possible. It's much better actually playing the game instead of the old find new mod -> start new character loop I was stuck in.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

For me its:

Download new mod --> Do playtest from Whiterun to Morthal --> Wait out with running DynDOLOD until I'm ABSOLUTELY SURE I AM DONE --> Spot new mod.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Midig posted:

The general opinion is that SSE has more potential due to better performance and stability, but that certain ENB effects, SKSE functionality, and a solid mod manager are still to live up to Oldrims standards. Of those functionalities they seem to be coming along in the order I put it in. Which means I will have to wait a long time for SSE since I honestly just can't go over to it until they got stable Mod Organizer. All of that said some people swear by SSE and they might be correct. But I am not abandoning my monster load order in Oldrim until SSE is the clear choice to go for.
yeah I'm gonna stick with Oldrim the now.

One kind of thing I'd love would be something that makes the difficulty and loot scaling like Morrowind, where it's all kind of frozen, so that if I wandered into an area I'd get my poo poo pushed in, but if I were careful and stuff I'd get some high level gear. does such a thing exist?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Falken posted:

yeah I'm gonna stick with Oldrim the now.

One kind of thing I'd love would be something that makes the difficulty and loot scaling like Morrowind, where it's all kind of frozen, so that if I wandered into an area I'd get my poo poo pushed in, but if I were careful and stuff I'd get some high level gear. does such a thing exist?

Morrowloot is exactly that.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Falken posted:

The hair mods work in SE without any porting required

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpnLwKp5nXA

:eyepop:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Sounds good. If modders want to get paid that's fine, but i don't want to pay them anything, and with this i won't have to :toot:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Midig posted:

SKSE is in SSE now, I thought?

And NMM works fine and handles uninstalls properly, the only major missing feature is the inability to independently handle load order for loose files not packaged in a BSA.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lid posted:

The hair mods work in SE without any porting required

The physics-enabled hair mods do not.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My comp probably couldn't run the special edition, but Oldrim is still fun.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I hope they don't make normal edition, special edition, ultra special edition, TAMRIEL GAEM OF TEH YEAR EDITION, VR edition, fleshlight edition of the next Elder Scrolls cause its a loving hot mess for modding. But ofc they are gonna do that cause ~capitalism~

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

The Iron Rose posted:

SKSE is in SSE now, I thought?

And NMM works fine and handles uninstalls properly, the only major missing feature is the inability to independently handle load order for loose files not packaged in a BSA.

SKSE is in alpha now and mods like SkyUI wont work or be ported yet. so for example no MCM functionality + loads of mods that are ported over have less features due to not having full SKSE support yet. NMM works fine, but you have to install mods in the correct order, whereas in MO you can sort the mod order (not to be confused with load order) to decide which mod wins the conflict etc. Which means if I gently caress something up in NMM I might have to install a lot of mods again, whereas in MO I can install and uninstall without having issues.

EDIT:

Brainfart moment, SkyUI SE is ported and while SKSE is in alpha I did not try to give the impression that it is hardly working, many people claim that they can use it for plenty of mods with no issues.

Midig fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 22, 2017

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

You obviously haven’t actually tried SKSE SE, then. Sky UI works perfectly as far as I can tell, and pretty much all the mods that required SKSE that got ported over have worked fine. The ones that haven’t have usually required outside DLL’s that need conversion to 64 bit for them to work properly. SKSE is ready to go, the only problem is that SSE is still updating occasionally, which requires a new update for SKSE to be compatible.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

NuclearPotato posted:

You obviously haven’t actually tried SKSE SE, then. Sky UI works perfectly as far as I can tell, and pretty much all the mods that required SKSE that got ported over have worked fine. The ones that haven’t have usually required outside DLL’s that need conversion to 64 bit for them to work properly. SKSE is ready to go, the only problem is that SSE is still updating occasionally, which requires a new update for SKSE to be compatible.

Oh, last I checked you had to use an earlier version of SkyUI for it to work, so sorry for getting that wrong. But yes, many people are having a good experience with SKSE in SSE as it is now. But you will probably have some issues and as you mentioned you will be set to a halt each time Skyrim SE is updated, better make sure you have settings so it does not do that automatically.

Midig fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Randaconda posted:

My comp probably couldn't run the special edition, but Oldrim is still fun.

If you can run the classic edition, you can probably also run the special edition. The only differences in requirements are 8 gigabytes of RAM (instead of 4) and a Win64 system (but who still uses Win32 anyway).

But I can confirm that 8 gigs of RAM are absolutely necessary, though. The game can start with less, but it'll be utterly unplayable as it'll be constantly swapping stuff between RAM and disk. We're talking stuff like a full minute between hitting Escape and finally getting the menu up so you can quit.