Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Staryberry posted:

Go Fund Me: I need to "rescue" this puppy from the pet store by buying it for $1,700. Other people should give me the money!
https://www.gofundme.com/save-the-golden-retriever-puppy
There is a somewhat happy ending. By the time she has the money, someone else has bought the puppy, so she gives the money to the SPCA instead.

Go Fund Me: I want to start my own semi-self sustaining pet store. Give me $5000.
https://www.gofundme.com/starting-my-own-pet-store
I'm not sure if "semi-self sustaining" means that she is going to breed the animals she sells, or if she knows she will be broke again in no time.

The animals that don't sell get fed to the inventory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Risky Bisquick posted:

God bless the people that spend 15-20 minutes idling their cars to save $3

The closest gas station to me is a Costco.

I use it once in a while. The prices are good. But if I see a huge line I pass, especially since they only have 85 or 91 octane, and my car takes 87.

I'm an American, dammit, and Jimmy Carter ain't running the country. I shouldn't have to wait in line for gas!!!!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

disjoe posted:

Huh, I go to the Costco near me before work and never have that problem.
It's 100% time of day dependent IME. Go during off hours and it's fine. Go during busy hours(which is usually during the late afternoon here) and you'll be waiting in line to fuel up. Never a 15-20 minute wait, though. More like 10 minutes max.

I still don't bother unless I'm going to Costco anyway, since it's way out of the way and it's not that much of a savings.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

evobatman posted:

Bad With Money: It's not a pyramid thing, it's a tree thing

"The nutritional we can trust."

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

blackmet posted:

The closest gas station to me is a Costco.

I use it once in a while. The prices are good. But if I see a huge line I pass, especially since they only have 85 or 91 octane, and my car takes 87.

I'm an American, dammit, and Jimmy Carter ain't running the country. I shouldn't have to wait in line for gas!!!!

85 octane? I don't believe I've ever actually seen that. Google search says it's a thing so I believe you, but every gas station I've ever been to is 87/89/91 and the occasional 100+ racing bullshit.

What state are you in?

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I remember seeing 85 and a bunch of other weird octanes when I was in Utah a decade ago. First time I'd ever seen anything other than 87/89/93 from the Northeast.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sundae posted:

85 octane? I don't believe I've ever actually seen that. Google search says it's a thing so I believe you, but every gas station I've ever been to is 87/89/91 and the occasional 100+ racing bullshit.

What state are you in?

CO and WY have 85 as the default everywhere. I think it’s got to do with the elevation? I’ve seen it out in Nebraska, too. We have 85/87/91.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

CO and WY have 85 as the default everywhere. I think it’s got to do with the elevation?

That’s correct. Since there’s less air at higher altitude, you’re effectively running at a lower compression ratio (I mean, the ratio’s the same but you wind up with a lower pressure in the cylinder) so you don’t need as high an octane rating to avoid predestination.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Sundae posted:

What state are you in?

Colorado. 85/87/91 is standard.

And, man, they gouge you on 87 and 91.

The owners manual says 87, so I use 87. I might be able to get away with 85, but I don't want to risk ruining my rapidly depreciating asset.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Your owner's manual doesn't assume you're at high altitude. If your car takes 87, it's not a high-compression engine and you can get away with 85 if you're at high up.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Phanatic posted:

That’s correct. Since there’s less air at higher altitude, you’re effectively running at a lower compression ratio (I mean, the ratio’s the same but you wind up with a lower pressure in the cylinder) so you don’t need as high an octane rating to avoid predestination.

:lol: I think you meant pre-detonation.

Note: if you have a car with forced induction (a turbocharger or supercharger) then you need to still run a higher octane fuel, even at high altitudes.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Goddamn phoneposting.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

BWM: Giving Money to Curt Schilling..again

BWM: Loaning your trailer to Curt Schilling

https://985thesportshub.com/2017/12/20/toucher-rich-talk-with-schilling-trailer-lender/

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Isn't Curt Shilling the guy who convinced the state of Rhode Island to loan him money to fund the ill fated Kingdoms of Amalur?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Going to a Costco on a Saturday is only mildly less insane than going to an IKEA.

The gas lines are crazy, but at least they make the hoses long enough to reach either side of your car.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I saw Schilling, assumed Jeff Skilling of Enron fame and had to find out if he was out of prison. Jeff Skilling is in until early 2019, so he shouldn’t be starting a BWM company before then.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

SettingSun posted:

Isn't Curt Shilling the guy who convinced the state of Rhode Island to loan him money to fund the ill fated Kingdoms of Amalur?

Yes, i'm a Rhode Islander and I have a lot of good stories about that for another day.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

crazypeltast52 posted:

I saw Schilling, assumed Jeff Skilling of Enron fame and had to find out if he was out of prison. Jeff Skilling is in until early 2019, so he shouldn’t be starting a BWM company before then.

He really was a sad sack story. He left Enron and only came back when the whole thing started to fall apart to help Ken Lay, who promptly died right before he was supposed to go to prison.

Had he not come back he would have never gone to jail since all the illegal poo poo was done trying to prop up Enron's corporate corpse.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

crazypeltast52 posted:

He's taking over Turing Pharmaceuticals :ssh:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SettingSun posted:

That game was awesome.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Krispy Wafer posted:

Going to a Costco on a Saturday is only mildly less insane than going to an IKEA.

The gas lines are crazy, but at least they make the hoses long enough to reach either side of your car.

Going to Costco the day before Christmas.

The horror...the horror...:stare:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

That game was awesome.

It was, but boy did its development have a story to tell.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Risky Bisquick posted:

He's taking over Turing Pharmaceuticals :ssh:

Trading cells with Martin Skreli? Finance reality TV show in the making!

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Curt Schilling as a Red Sox fan, but he sure makes that embarrassing to admit sometimes.

He seems to have some good ideas but no business sense and the competency to carry them out. Add to it a ton of arrogance and stubbornness, and you get $91 million dollars down the drain. Impressively bad with money.
http://www.bostonmagazine.com/2012/07/23/38-studios-end-game/

Solice Kirsk posted:

That game was awesome.

I've heard other people say it was good. Too bad people entrusted Schilling to actually make the decisions.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Nocheez posted:

Note: if you have a car with forced induction (a turbocharger or supercharger) then you need to still run a higher octane fuel, even at high altitudes.

His car is made of Calvinized steel.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

blackmet posted:

Colorado. 85/87/91 is standard.

And, man, they gouge you on 87 and 91.

The owners manual says 87, so I use 87. I might be able to get away with 85, but I don't want to risk ruining my rapidly depreciating asset.

Thanks for that info about the elevation. I never thought of that.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Not a Children posted:

From what I've heard, after the US market got saturated Avon and Amway and the like set their eyes on Asia, particularly, China, where they've been extremely prolific

When I was living in Bangkok I went to what turned out to be an MLM info seminar, some kind of vitamin/nutritional supplement. I realised what it was pretty early on and was explaining it to the Thai dude I went with (a cop).

His response: "But if you get in early, you get rich, right?!"

I forgot about it and a month or two later was sitting outside a bank in rural Thailand when some employees joined me and started chatting me up. I found out one of them had been recruited by the MLM :negative:

I would not be surprised if they did gangbusters in Asia, China in particular. Similarly, my partner used to teach English to Mexican/Central American migrants in the US and at least one of her students got recruited for an MLM. Social and familial relations/obligations are even bigger in those cultures than in most Western countries, seems like an avenue for exploitation.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 21, 2017

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

22 Eargesplitten posted:

:golfclap:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pompous Rhombus posted:

His response: "But if you get in early, you get rich, right?!"

He’s right. He’s just missing out on the nuance that if you’re at a seminar, you’re not getting in early enough.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

22 Eargesplitten posted:

:eyepop:

Content:

Don't have money for rent

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7l9wnz/dont_have_money_for_rent/ posted:

I had to take some time off work as I was sick and couldn't go to work. As a result, my last paycheck was small, something that is very difficult when living paycheck-to-paycheck. I have already applied for a loan but was told it's not likely to be approved. I am going to check with my landlord and see if I can pay a few days late, after my next paycheck. If these both fall through, what other options do I have?

quote:

[–]redfiresvt03 14 points 6 hours ago

Simplest answer is to cut your expenses. Whatever you spend on entertainment or food needs to be scaled back. We don’t know your budget though either but those are the two places to start cutting. I don’t mean starve yourself, but eat cheap at home.

The real answer here is for you to read the side bar and get yourself out of the paycheck to paycheck cycle. Get yourself an emergency fund started for these types of situations. Start saving $20/check if that’s all you can do. Increase it over time.

[–]steezetrain 8 points 4 hours ago

Idk why this guy is getting downvoted. OP was in the market for a gaming rig within the year. Guess what he budget was? This months rent.

[–]darkswordchris [S] 3 points 2 hours ago

I was doing the shopping for my girlfriend. She paid for it.

[–]steezetrain 3 points an hour ago

While I appreciate the justification, and definitely feel for your situation... something about your behavior isnt adding up. You need to take a good hard look at how you spend, if you can come on here and say "ive tried everything and heres how the math looks" I think you would see much more sympathy to your situation.

However, your only replies have been to justify the computer post (but not any of the other things). Sell your expensive stuff, pawn it, or just move in with the family again.

quote:

[–]SIave 15 points 4 hours ago

He also bought a car a year ago with a $440 monthly payment, has money for pot, owes his roommate $200, and recently dropped cash on skins for League of Legends. He's not "living paycheck to paycheck," he's just irresponsible and can't out earn his bad decisions.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Moneyball posted:

I've heard other people say it was good. Too bad people entrusted Schilling to actually make the decisions.

It was good, and it actually sold fairly well for a new IP, they just spent way too much making it. The breakeven point was something like 3 million copies sold, which is unattainable unless you are dealing with a well established IP or have an insane marketing budget.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Kingdoms of Amalur was the single player game released by a studio that 38 Studios bought on the cheap. The actual game they were developing was Project Copernicus and it never saw the light of day. There's a trailer for it on youtube.

The article MoneyBall posted is well worth the time. I mean wow:

quote:

Then, MoveTrek Mobility — a company 38 Studios hired during the relocation to Providence to buy and resell employees’ Massachusetts homes — notified seven people that, because it had not yet sold their houses, they were potentially responsible for their old mortgages.

Schilling is the king of BWM. Hiring family, buying ridiculous gifts for all his staff, not understand the concept of PTO. Wow. Just wow.

An update on the saga:
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/09/years-after-bankruptcy-curt-schilling-settles-rhode-island-gaming-loans/

quote:

Schilling and other former executives at 38 Studios have agreed to pay $2.5 million to the state of Rhode Island to settle outstanding claims of defrauding the state out of $75 million in loans.
Schilling says he lost his entire savings of $50 million in the debacle, though the state has disputed that claim.
50 million! Poor guy, I guess he's counting all the gifts he bought the employees and the lavish lunches he provided.

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 22, 2017

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

Phanatic posted:

Your owner's manual doesn't assume you're at high altitude. If your car takes 87, it's not a high-compression engine and you can get away with 85 if you're at high up.

I might try it with my next tank. See how it goes.

I have noticed that Costco 91 (I never buy it elsewhere) does give me a extra MPG on average. But my gas tank isn't big enough to make that truly worthwhile, and the 2013 Subaru Legacy is not exactly a performance machine (it's primary use is getting me 30 miles each way to and from work while maintaining about 30 MPG highway and being decent in wet and snowy conditions).

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

blackmet posted:

I might try it with my next tank. See how it goes.

I have noticed that Costco 91 (I never buy it elsewhere) does give me a extra MPG on average.

Higher octane gas has a lower energy content than lower octane gas. The only thing it can do to your mileage is lower it. 1mpg is probably within the bound of error of whatever you’re using to measure mpg.

The only reason you should use a high-octane gas is if it’s needed for your engine. It doesn’t improve power or mpg or anything like that. Modern cars will, if you run a lower-octane than recommended, alter the valve timing so you don’t predetonate and this will result in lower power and possibly lower mpg then if you used the right fuel, but using a higher grade of fuel than your engine is designed for doesn’t improve performance or mileage.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Nocheez posted:

Low-octane warboys will not find welcome in valhalla.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

Staryberry posted:

Go Fund Me: I need to "rescue" this puppy from the pet store by buying it for $1,700. Other people should give me the money!
https://www.gofundme.com/save-the-golden-retriever-puppy
There is a somewhat happy ending. By the time she has the money, someone else has bought the puppy, so she gives the money to the SPCA instead.

Holy cow, there's some primo poo poo in the comments. The store owner shows up, fundraiser gets called out, recriminations thrown around...:discourse:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Wait, so doggies in the windows are a real thing? :catstare:

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Randler posted:

Wait, so doggies in the windows are a real thing? :catstare:

Yes. Pet stores put puppies in the window section (where mannequins would go in a clothing store). They play with each other, sleep, act cute etc. It attracts a fair amount of people watching. Drives me crazy because I know those stores are probably the worst place to find a dog and it encourages spontaneous puppy purchasing leading to abandoned older dogs.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

BirdieBedtime posted:

Holy cow, there's some primo poo poo in the comments. The store owner shows up, fundraiser gets called out, recriminations thrown around...:discourse:

This is pure internet gold.

quote:

I want to just mention that I have information from a very close friend that Steve is not actually horrible person. I was told that he worked at a zoo and is an animal lover too.

quote:

Steve, your store is a puppy mill, point blank. Your store should be closed and you should be sued for animal cruelty. I have read countless articles on previous employees of yours and how the animals are treated in the back of the store when you have overstock and countless stories of dogs dying shortly after adoption due to parvo picked up in your store. Last year I was supposed to attend a strike at your store but couldn't due to my puppy (that I purchased from a reputable breeder) being spayed that day but I do wish I could have been there to help raise more awareness of the horrible things you do.

The whole "pet store puppy" thing is barbaric, but I love the Chinese whispers thing going on in the comments and the "I have read countless articles about this store which I am not going to link for reasons and also I couldn't protest at your store because I had to drop off my expensive puppy at the vets which prevented me from doing anything else for the entire day."

Maybe it's just the cynic in me, but someone posting photographs of a cheque and an envelope because they are totally 100% going to post them for reals rather than the receipt that a charity will provide for a donation suggests she just kept the money.

Why those 90 people couldn't just have donated money directly to the SPCA themselves instead of thinking they were somehow punishing a business owner by trying really hard to give him lots of money... :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Popping in to the thread to point out that one-third of the entire crypto market has exited. Sounds like we're going to have some really quality content related to that incoming.