Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Sinners Sandwich posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcSMdhfKga4

Mama Mia 2: Here we Go Again with a post trailer cameo reveal that left me shaking

I would like to point out that, apparently, Cher (age: 71) is the mother of Meryl Streep (age: 68).

What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DC Murderverse posted:

I would like to point out that, apparently, Cher (age: 71) is the mother of Meryl Streep (age: 68).

What the gently caress?

Hahha. That's not even believable, who'd look at Meryl Streep and think she was that much younger than Cher?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

DC Murderverse posted:

What the gently caress?

That's hilarious. I was definitely confused when she popped up as the grandmother. I mean, it's not like she's a Sean Connery type where looking 80 has been her thing for decades.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

In case anyone thought I was exaggerating about Pierce Brosnan's "singing" sounding more like a defensive mother bear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvTEvmhnAMk

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Gambit is awesome people. I don't understand how YOU don't understand that. A ragin Cajun master theif who fights with a bo staff, and has the power to charge up things and make them explode, and throws playing cards as if they were Ninja stars? Played by Channing Tatum?!

What kind of cynical jaded fucker doesn't want that.

I'd rather have a Longshot movie, TBH.

Also, I'm fully expecting Hugh Jackman getting spliced in to Infinity War, despite everything that's happened in Logan.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Young Freud posted:

Also, I'm fully expecting Hugh Jackman getting spliced in to Infinity War, despite everything that's happened in Logan.

Again, Disney won't have access to the Fox properties until some time after the acquisition closes, which won't be until early 2019 at the absolute soonest. Wolverine is not showing up in a movie that opens next May.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

AceOfFlames posted:

Sabotage is the one where he’s a dirty DEA agent who steals millions from drug dealers and then his team starts getting picked off one by one.

That was problem with Sabotage for me They weren't dirty. It was the first and only time they had stolen money, in hopes to pay off a ransom. It wouldv'e been more interesting if they were truly dirty

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Doesn't Logan take place at least a decade from "now"? So if he could be in Infinity War, he could?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

LesterGroans posted:

That's hilarious. I was definitely confused when she popped up as the grandmother. I mean, it's not like she's a Sean Connery type where looking 80 has been her thing for decades.

Yeah, Cher looks very good for her age, she’s definitely not getting type-cast as “grandma”. poo poo, they could probably say the two of them are sisters and that would make so much more sense.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

I remember an article MST3K's Mike Nelson wrote about the Streisand film "The Mirror Has Two Faces" where Streisand cast Mimi Rogers, who's fifteen years younger than her, to play her older sister

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Davros1 posted:

I remember an article MST3K's Mike Nelson wrote about the Streisand film "The Mirror Has Two Faces" where Streisand cast Mimi Rogers, who's fifteen years younger than her, to play her older sister

To be fair, Barbra Streisand does look good for her age:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Timby posted:

In case anyone thought I was exaggerating about Pierce Brosnan's "singing" sounding more like a defensive mother bear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvTEvmhnAMk

I'm not watching that whole clip, but I skipped around and he sounds sorta like Meat Loaf, actually.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I feel bad that even films like Victor Frankenstein got chopped up to hell but man Max Landis has the worst luck in the world and I can't fathom why Bright didn't just go full Shadowrun cyberpunk instead of "End Of Watch but with the Suicide Squad mystic plot sewed into its guts"

Poor Joel Edgerton though, I loved The Gift and he was decent in Loving but has been in a lot of stinkbombs

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

I feel bad that even films like Victor Frankenstein got chopped up to hell but man Max Landis has the worst luck in the world and I can't fathom why Bright didn't just go full Shadowrun cyberpunk instead of "End Of Watch but with the Suicide Squad mystic plot sewed into its guts"

I'm so confused as to why they didn't just grab the Shadowrun license for $250 and go with it. Like, if you're gonna put orcs and elves in your film, gimme some goddamn magitek at least! Bright just looks like your bog-standard cop movie but with a Fairy Lives Matter joke in the trailer and Will Smith gold plating a new sink.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Feeling bad for Max Landis is like feeling bad for a helicopter.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

max landis hasnt killed anyone but his scripts/projects are all really bad and it's suicide to hedge your bets on any of them so lol at netflix

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I hate Max Landis but I really like David Ayer so I'm very conflicted.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
Chronicle and American Ultra were great! His Douglas Adams adaption for Netflix was okay.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Vermain posted:

I'm so confused as to why they didn't just grab the Shadowrun license for $250 and go with it. Like, if you're gonna put orcs and elves in your film, gimme some goddamn magitek at least! Bright just looks like your bog-standard cop movie but with a Fairy Lives Matter joke in the trailer and Will Smith gold plating a new sink.

Placing it into an actual cyberpunk future would have costed additional millions and millions. While Netflix hates having money, cyberpunk has little appeal outside of hardcore nerd crowd these days

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Reading the reviews for Bright reminds me why I don't read reviews: they're so sloppily written and full of stupid ideas about movies. Is every reviewer these days a failed screenwriter with crippling neuroses or something?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Reading the reviews for Bright reminds me why I don't read reviews: they're so sloppily written and full of stupid ideas about movies. Is every reviewer these days a failed screenwriter with crippling neuroses or something?

Yes. Also every screenwriter.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I hate Max Landis but I really like David Ayer so I'm very conflicted.

Just watch Alien Nation instead.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

Placing it into an actual cyberpunk future would have costed additional millions and millions. While Netflix hates having money, cyberpunk has little appeal outside of hardcore nerd crowd these days

Netflix is working on their own cyberpunk series though, an adaptation of Altered Carbon. I guess they probably wouldn't want to counter-program themselves.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

AceOfFlames posted:

Netflix is working on their own cyberpunk series though, an adaptation of Altered Carbon. I guess they probably wouldn't want to counter-program themselves.

I don't think counter-programming is really a thing in the Netflix model. If you like X they want to give you a million things just like X. Like 'Dark' and 'Stranger Things'. Plus with the way they release things all at once, they can stagger the release of similar shows.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Young Freud posted:

Since the news broke he's said he's keeping to his decision and is staying out.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

muscles like this! posted:

They'll get him if they want. Every man has his price.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

muscles like this! posted:

Yes but he has not made that decision with Avatar money backed up to his house with a "Do whatever the gently caress you want-get out of jail free card" indecent proposal yet. If they get Picard and McKellan to cave and along with the rest of the MCU cast to talk to him, Hugh will say sure why not gently caress it.

I'm sure it'll go like

RDJ: "Dude, come on bro, work with us."
Chris: "Please, I'm sick of all this poo poo and them calling me to talk to you and giving me all this money. I don't even like Captain America."
Chris 2: "Dude, we'll do our roles drunk."
Chris 3: "Which one am I? I forget."
Stewart: "Hugh I know what I said...but I was full of poo poo. Have you seen what this money can buy? Help me out, I'm an old man."

Gatts fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 21, 2017

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Overboard is back in gender-swapped form

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn9JAJDZPq8

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
What the hell.

The only reason the original works is because Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn have amazing on screen chemistry.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
The Kurt Russell/Goldie Hawn relationship is the true life goals.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Overboard is a gross movie and I’m really not sure how you can fix its problems in a gender-swapped remake

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gatts posted:

Yes but he has not made that decision with Avatar money backed up to his house with a "Do whatever the gently caress you want-get out of jail free card" indecent proposal yet. If they get Picard and McKellan to cave and along with the rest of the MCU cast to talk to him, Hugh will say sure why not gently caress it.

I'm sure it'll go like

RDJ: "Dude, come on bro, work with us."
Chris: "Please, I'm sick of all this poo poo and them calling me to talk to you and giving me all this money. I don't even like Captain America."
Chris 2: "Dude, we'll do our roles drunk."
Chris 3: "Which one am I? I forget."
Stewart: "Hugh I know what I said...but I was full of poo poo. Have you seen what this money can buy? Help me out, I'm an old man."

When fans and Marvel talk about the X-Men joining the MCU, they're not really talking about any of the actors but just the characters themselves. Marvel probably save a lot by just casting whoever they want and people will still flock to the theaters to watch it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gatts posted:

Shared universe can work and work very well but Marvel establishes their foothold properly for family entertainment and built a sort of brand of approvals with their name. People seem to know what to expect from their studio movies and it satisfies them. Even the others work well as far as money but it doesn’t have the prestige or desired buzz like Marvels brand does.

Marvel doesn’t even do the shares universe as well as it could be done to achieve potential even.

And shared universe has even been done in TV before and well, they’re called crossovers.

The ancient Greeks were doing crossovers thousands of years ago, the story of Jason and the Argonauts was basically the Avengers of its time. :v:

The 'Marvel Method' shared universe is slightly different in that it was a shared universe right from the very first movie, every other shared/crossover universe before that was made from sticking pre-existing IPs together. Even the DCEU didn't start out as a shared universe, MoS was a standalone film right up until the week of release when DC announced they'd be fasttracking a sequel and it wasn't until the following month that they announced that it would include Batman and was building up towards Justice League. They'd been wanting to create a shared universe for a while (Green Lantern was supposed to kick it off but bombed) but they kept quiet until they were able to gauge audience reactions to MoS before going ahead with it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
While that's true, have to admit, I think Hugh Jackman as Wolverine would be a hella balls more landmark than someone else to pump things up. He IS the character in public perception, even the ultimate comics based on him and imo he made Wolverine interesting.

That being said yeah I hope they recast him interestingly. And it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility depending on the risk of the merger going through they could say "Here's an advance, use these characters, just give some kickbacks in return." or something.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Revenant writer Mark L Smith is writing the next Star Trek movie based on Tarantino's story.

http://deadline.com/2017/12/quentin-tarantino-star-trek-mark-l-smith-jj-abrams-the-revenant-paramount-pictures-1202231379/

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

The MSJ posted:

The Revenant writer Mark L Smith is writing the next Star Trek movie based on Tarantino's story.

http://deadline.com/2017/12/quentin-tarantino-star-trek-mark-l-smith-jj-abrams-the-revenant-paramount-pictures-1202231379/

Wait. So is this just a Tarantino associates with Star Trek thing but only directs is a producer or is this a writer makes a first pass at this poo poo then Tarantino goes whole hog writing dialog, script, directing, etc. ? Cause if it's just to get his name on something while he doesn't do much it's disappointing. R rated for sake of R rated isn't good. R rated Tarantino complete picture is good.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Sinners Sandwich posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcSMdhfKga4

Mama Mia 2: Here we Go Again with a post trailer cameo reveal that left me shaking

I'm surprised it wasnt bette midler or streisand

QuoProQuid posted:

Overboard is a gross movie and I’m really not sure how you can fix its problems in a gender-swapped remake

The remake looks worse, tbqh

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gatts posted:

Wait. So is this just a Tarantino associates with Star Trek thing but only directs is a producer or is this a writer makes a first pass at this poo poo then Tarantino goes whole hog writing dialog, script, directing, etc. ? Cause if it's just to get his name on something while he doesn't do much it's disappointing. R rated for sake of R rated isn't good. R rated Tarantino complete picture is good.

He hand picked several writers for a writers room, then hand-picked the one from there that would write the script. He's also interested in directing, though who knows if that could ever happen. Many crazier things have this year alone.

I'm guessing that he'd write the script himself if he weren't ramping up for his 1969/Manson film.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Speaking of which, Spielberg actually made The Post in 7 months while he was also directing Ready Player One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I hope there was some bleedover into The Post, and Meryl Streep casually starts listing all her favorite Kajagoogoo songs

• Locked thread