Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ardennes posted:

If Medicaid paid Medicare +5%-10% rates, it wouldn't be an issue. Most providers would take patients without a fuss, but the system low-balls providers to the point that Medicaid patients have become a target. Some providers still take some in order to get Medicare patients but put as many barriers to entry as possible to keep them out of the office. Calling a representative is fine and everything, but people often can't wait to see how the entire situation shakes out when they have a serious health issue.

I think it is just designed that way, to be honest. That said, most UHS proposals acknowledge this (Bernie's proposal was at least sized Medicare payments, admittedly it might have to be a bit higher than that).

Right, right, I'm just saying that design is deliberate because it's seen as serving poor and minority populations. In my Republican-run state, it's seen as a program for "Democrats", i.e., black people. So it's kept underfunded for that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Ardennes posted:

There are a bunch of issues with Medicaid though including open discrimination by providers who often do anything to not to see a Medicaid patient if they have to. In addition, even in relatively "blue states" like Oregon, there is a ton of hoops you have to go through and there are real limits to your coverage. In contrast, if your above 138% of the poverty line, you often get very high subsidies, enough to make at least high-end Silver plans affordable and usually you skip the open discrimination that Medicaid patients face. I don't actually have a problem with Medicaid as a concept, but once you start actually picking apart how Medicaid patients are treated...it is something else. Also, there is a point where is may simply just make more sense to pay a little more to protect your health.

As for out of network exposure, it obviously depends on your provider.

I am actually absolutely supportive of government insurance, but Medicaid as an actual system is still a real mess (I know Oregon still only pays 71- 81% of Medicare payments). The system is designed for you to say "gently caress it" and pay more out of pocket if you can afford it.

States have pretty much bucketed most Medicaid recipients into managed-care plans, though--which face the same narrow networks as individual Obamacare plans but shield recipients from balance billing and other out-of-pocket costs. While you might have to wait a few months to get an appointment with a Medicaid managed-care PCP, it's not like the pre-ACA days when you couldn't find providers to take Medicaid across entire counties. And reimbursement parity with Medicare is moot if providers are being paid per capitation.

And "enough to make Silver plans affordable" sort of obscures stuff like balance billing, or the fact that once you get into the 3x multiplier for olds the cost difference in (even subsidized) premiums between Bronze and Silver makes high-deductible Bronze plans more attractive for lower-middle-income people. Eg: When I was scoping out plans for 2017 the premium differential for a Silver Plan with cost-sharing reductions made the high-deductible Bronze plans pretty much a wash with Silver plans.

As far as reimbursement levels, I remember that back when the Obamacare plans rolled out in 2014 many private insurers were only paying around 70 percent of Medicare's provider reimbursement levels in California. To some degree, Obamacare has had the dubious distinction of having private insurance take on the worst features of Medicaid while Medicaid has become a fairly well-working single-payer model in the states that have expanded it.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 21, 2017

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Willa Rogers posted:

States have pretty much bucketed most Medicaid recipients into managed-care plans, though--which face the same narrow networks as individual Obamacare plans but shield recipients from balance billing and other out-of-pocket costs. While you might have to wait a few months to get an appointment with a Medicaid managed-care PCP, it's not like the pre-ACA days when you couldn't find providers to take Medicaid across entire counties. And reimbursement parity with Medicare is moot if providers are being paid per capitation.

And "enough to make Silver plans affordable" sort of obscures stuff like balance billing, or the fact that once you get into the 3x multiplier for olds the cost difference in (even subsidized) premiums between Bronze and Silver makes high-deductible Bronze plans more attractive for lower-middle-income people. Eg: When I was scoping out plans for 2017 the premium differential for a Silver Plan with cost-sharing reductions made the high-deductible Bronze plans pretty much a wash with Silver plans.

As far as reimbursement levels, I remember that back when the Obamacare plans rolled out in 2014 many private insurers were only paying around 70 percent of Medicare's provider reimbursement levels in California. To some degree, Obamacare has had the dubious distinction of having private insurance take on the worst features of Medicaid while Medicaid has become a fairly well-working single-payer model in the states that have expanded it.

Btw, I am talking about people that are making just above 138%, in Oregon you can get very decent plans where most of the out of pocket costs are restrained and premiums costs are pretty limited. It is going to be higher than Medicaid, but it also gives you more flexibility even if you choose an HMO (then you get to at least choose the HMO you want). Age is also a factor, but once you are just across the 138%, there are actually quite a few higher tier Silver options. I agree that the farther you move up income, the subsidies pretty much disappear and affordability is far far more of an issue.

I am taking the experience of Oregon in mind, and over here the CCOs have limited choice pretty severely and if you want to have better care you still have to run the gauntlet. The OHP also has some severe cost containment which honestly is fairly worrisome.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 21, 2017

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

It's really hard to compare the subsidized plans this year with Medicaid, because Trump's holding back the cost-sharing subsidies has upended the individual market. Silver plans in IL are pretty dirt-cheap for 2018 (at least in IL) but as I said for 2017 the age differential ironed out the difference in costs for high out-of-pocket Bronze plans and CSR-impacted Silver plans.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Willa Rogers posted:

It's really hard to compare the subsidized plans this year with Medicaid, because Trump's holding back the cost-sharing subsidies has upended the individual market. Silver plans in IL are pretty dirt-cheap for 2018 (at least in IL) but as I said for 2017 the age differential ironed out the difference in costs for high out-of-pocket Bronze plans and CSR-impacted Silver plans.

Well, every state market is going to be different, I don't think the Oregon market has been that affected but I guess we will see. Admittedly, part of it literally takes "gaming" out a scenario to see what is worth it.

Btw, I absolutely don't think Medicaid doesn't have a point, especially if you really just can't afford even subsidized Silver plans.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Column A, Column B, etc.

The Republicans only had one possible answer to a public option, and that was RomneyCare; Romneycare was at least seen as the only viable option, so he took it. Net effect, Romneycare is what we got, and a public option or mass death are the only remaining alternatives. And a public option would lead inevitably to the death of private insurance because it would always outperform due to inherent efficiencies of scale.

I've had the conversation several dozen times with people irl. It always ends the same way: If we lose Obamacare, we need true universal healthcare. This conversation is normally with people the "Do you even left, bro? " crowd would sneer at as centrists.

I'm not sure the right realizes how they'll gently caress themselves if they gently caress it (Obamacare) up.

Thing is... atleast three years... that's a long time and a lot of harm.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

BrandorKP posted:

I've had the conversation several dozen times with people irl. It always ends the same way: If we lose Obamacare, we need true universal healthcare. This conversation is normally with people the "Do you even left, bro? " crowd would sneer at as centrists.

I'm not sure the right realizes how they'll gently caress themselves if they gently caress it (Obamacare) up.

Thing is... atleast three years... that's a long time and a lot of harm.

If it is enough harm for people to back a inquisition. Then that is good. We can then purify America.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm not a fan of accelerationism but we're already in hellworld so I might as well have something to look forward to.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/AngelRafPadilla/status/943971504315920386

ded redd fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 22, 2017

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Tweet's gone, what did it say?

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/NumbersMuncher/status/943636459428483072

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

sirtommygunn posted:

I'm not a fan of accelerationism but we're already in hellworld so I might as well have something to look forward to.

It is all there is now.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Good Dogge.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Ardennes posted:

Well, every state market is going to be different, I don't think the Oregon market has been that affected but I guess we will see. Admittedly, part of it literally takes "gaming" out a scenario to see what is worth it.

Btw, I absolutely don't think Medicaid doesn't have a point, especially if you really just can't afford even subsidized Silver plans.

The problem is for older, low-income-but-not-medicaid-poor people who can't afford a silver plan and are stuck with $7,000/year deductibles under whopping incomes of, say, $18k-$20k/year.

Otoh, Trump's screwing around with the CSRs has made a lot of silver plans cheap with very low deductibles. But the Murray-whoever plan that McConnell has promised to restore the CSRs will bring us back to those horrible bronze plans again.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

Tweet's gone, what did it say?

You probably know this already but for the record it was supposedly a list of D reps who advanced the budget rather than go full opposition for DREAMers. Apparently it was wrong.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

The US/Israel are still completely isolated on the legality of Israel's occupation

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/943902006141472769

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/943926960937299968

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Guess we’re not even going to pretend the F-35 isn’t just some bizarro jobs project.
https://twitter.com/GDouglasJones/status/943953177002553344?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E1

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Right, right, I'm just saying that design is deliberate because it's seen as serving poor and minority populations. In my Republican-run state, it's seen as a program for "Democrats", i.e., black people. So it's kept underfunded for that reason.

This is so true. Medicaid might as well not exist in my state because it's so underfunded. It's a convoluted, bureaucratic nightmare just to get on a year-and-a-half long waiting list (that is IF you qualify). The only reason I have any healthcare at all is because I qualified for one of the ACA exchanges, and who knows how long that will last with Trump's congress gutting everything in sight with tax cuts.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Chomskyan posted:

The US/Israel are still completely isolated on the legality of Israel's occupation

Why did the countries who abstained, abstain?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

Why did the countries who abstained, abstain?

They didn't want to vote "No", but for whatever reason, they thought voting "Yes" might be politically risky. I'm sure each country that abstained had their own individual reasons...but note that most of them are poor and need a lot of foreign aid, are particularly deep in the US's sphere of influence, or both.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I've always thought it would be best if Jerusalem became a city-state like the Vatican, but there's no way Palestine or Israel would let that happen.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Chomskyan posted:

There is no question on the legality of Isreal's ownership/annexation of East Jerusalem. There is disagreement about whether anything should be done about it, which basically boils down to the UN and most of the worlds position of "We don't like it, but we're not going to do anything about it either." The UN Two-State solution is a internationally preferred solution to prevent conflict, not a legal question. Just throwing that out there because framing the issue as a legal question is not only misleading but also serves a narrative that dismisses the original source of this problem and the double standard with Isreal by the UN major powers.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

They didn't want to vote "No", but for whatever reason, they thought voting "Yes" might be politically risky. I'm sure each country that abstained had their own individual reasons...but note that most of them are poor and need a lot of foreign aid, are particularly deep in the US's sphere of influence, or both.

Also NAFTA is being renegotiated. Trump's a petty gently caress and Canada and Mexico know it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The logical thing is to re-divide it, but that will absolutely never happen while the US backs Israel.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Lycus posted:

The logical thing is to re-divide it, but that will absolutely never happen while the US backs Israel.

Why is that the logical thing? The authority granted to make the resolution was granted by the British under the mandate, and neither party it supposed to represent agreed to it. On top of that, both subsequently declared independence anyways. From an international standpoint they're just two rebel governments that took hold and established themselves. In all other cases across the world where that's happened conflict happens, life goes on, and the winner gets invited into the UN where there are several former illegitimate governments serving today. Based on past history and the examples used literally everywhere else in the world the most logically thing to do would be for everyone to pull let, let the Palestinians and Isreali's do what they want to each other until one side comes out on top permanently or they're so exhausted they finally come up with a tenative solution. Which is almost what we've got now except for the UN constantly pushing their resolution like it has some sort of legitimacy.

Edit:
To be fair, there is also the few times when the "UN" did actually intervene such as the Korean War or Yugoslav Wars, so I suppose I can't say literally every example and by that token it would be logically for the UNSC to vote to do a full on military campaign as another option. But in either case just sitting back and trying to tell Isreal and Palestine to live by the resolution is most certainly the least logical thing to do.

nessin fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 22, 2017

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
The logical thing is for the European colonizers to gently caress right back off to Europe and stop genociding whomever sits on land they want, hth.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

nessin posted:

Why is that the logical thing? The authority granted to make the resolution was granted by the British under the mandate, and neither party it supposed to represent agreed to it. On top of that, both subsequently declared independence anyways. From an international standpoint they're just two rebel governments that took hold and established themselves. In all other cases across the world where that's happened conflict happens, life goes on, and the winner gets invited into the UN where there are several former illegitimate governments serving today. Based on past history and the examples used literally everywhere else in the world the most logically thing to do would be for everyone to pull let, let the Palestinians and Isreali's do what they want to each other until one side comes out on top permanently or they're so exhausted they finally come up with a tenative solution. Which is almost what we've got now except for the UN constantly pushing their resolution like it has some sort of legitimacy.

Edit:
To be fair, there is also the few times when the "UN" did actually intervene such as the Korean War or Yugoslav Wars, so I suppose I can't say literally every example and by that token it would be logically for the UNSC to vote to do a full on military campaign as another option. But in either case just sitting back and trying to tell Israel and Palestine to live by the resolution is most certainly the least logical thing to do.

Come on, pull out till a winner emerges is crazy talk. If everyone pulled out the Israelis would massacre the Palestinians in short order. It's also probably even worse if Israel somehow got close to losing because they're sitting on a nuclear arsenal that would allow them to end a lot of old grudges on their way out - Israel is like America is Christian Republicans actually got to enshrine the beliefs as inseparable from the government.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

The Mexico/Canada abstentions don't look in any way like neighbors of a global bully trying not to gently caress up their trade deals.

Nosiree!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Trump: "You gorgot PolandVanuatu!"

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
https://twitter.com/sunny_hundal/status/944158714835107840

As a Michigander, Pete Hoekstra is and has always been an rear end in a top hat.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

The Mexico/Canada abstentions don't look in any way like neighbors of a global bully trying not to gently caress up their trade deals.

Nosiree!

Canada would likely have abstained anyway, you'll note we went along with the US in rejecting the 2012 resolution giving Palestine observer status. Canada's interests are usually best served when the US forgets it exists. This means not rocking the boat or drawing attention through some act of defiance.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also Australia might as well be two miles off the coast of Washington (and another two miles off the coast of London) as far as our politics goes.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Annnnd Tim Kaine rises from the oblivion that is his birthright to poo poo on DREAMers. :(

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Tim Kaine? Tim Kaine... Tim Kaine... Wasn't he the Democratic nominee for Vice President?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I read from someone that went to his event in Virginia this week and really put the current Democratic situation best. You had Dreamers yelling at Kaine while a bunch of people were trying to get selfie pictures standing with him.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Sephyr posted:

Annnnd Tim Kaine rises from the oblivion that is his birthright to poo poo on DREAMers. :(

specifically he is opposed to shutting down the government over daca

or anything else but daca is next on the docket after chip

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

So this happened

https://twitter.com/NaomiAKlein/status/943883222391382017

Sephyr posted:

https://twitter.com/JayesGreenJ/status/944055829300465664

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
How do you vote against the dream act? Republicans have the majority, even if you are pragmatically trading them to keep government open just vote no and let the 51 republicans save you. It isn't hard. Just look at the 100000000 bills called "Obamacareisrepealedsaywhat" .

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

How do you vote against the dream act? Republicans have the majority, even if you are pragmatically trading them to keep government open just vote no and let the 51 republicans save you. It isn't hard. Just look at the 100000000 bills called "Obamacareisrepealedsaywhat" .

Because it wasn't a vote against the dream act but instead a vote to fund the government for 1 month, stop cuts to medicare, and fund CHIP for 3 months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Yeah the Dems were focused on funding CHIP which was just about to immediately run out. They accomplished that. You can debate on whether that was more important to push for than DACA or not but that's the reason why they put it to the side.

• Locked thread