Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there a trick to this bullshit in chapter 10? You know the one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Oh, by the way, the one real reason to get your mercenaries to level 5 is that I think it is required to unlock Roc's 5th affinity bar. But I think that's the only significant thing you get out of it, so if you're not using Roc it's not really necessary (though I find Roc to be quiet good as DPS).

Pollyanna posted:

Hey, they're not wrong. This game does a lot of backwards-rear end things.

Also, what's the point of relying on common blades for skills in merc missions? You're often lucky to get one of each bonus skill if you're doing all commons. Rare blades are better in pretty much every single department, and the time spent on growing 3-4 star commons is better spent on rares.

Also, what's everybody's least favorite part of growing Blades? Mine is the "kill X enemy" one, because it's boring and they don't even give you a bestiary.

You end up with a zillion merc missions and the ability to send out 3 teams at once (and I don't know about you, but I wouldn't have enough rares for my party if I sent 18 out on merc missions), and most of the skills they require can be found on commons. Also, filling out common affinity charts (which starts to happen fairly frequently as you send them on merc missions) gives you a poo poo ton of weapon skill points (I think I've gotten most of mine that way). It would also actually be really difficult to meet some of the criteria using just rare blades, since they often require, say, 3 of a certain element, and there's a good chance you don't have 3 fire element rare blades you aren't already using in your party.

Commons are also honestly pretty necessary for field skill checks, since some will more or less require that you switch out most of your blades for ones of the same element (like Electra's side quest where you need 10 Electric Mastery for at least one part).

Regarding annoying stuff, like affinity charts not filling up until you check the menu or the annoying way the skip travel map works, even though I acknowledge that they're objectively dumb and bad I just don't give a poo poo for some reason. Like, I just don't really mind wasting the extra couple seconds doing those things. I would rather not have to do them, but it doesn't really impact my overall enjoyment of the game.

I think the only thing that has actually had a negative impact on my enjoyment of the game is Ursula's side quest and the fact that you have to tediously select your team every single time. Having to send her out against every 7-8 minutes actually negatively impacts my enjoyment of other game activities. While I could always just not do that quest, there's a sunk cost at this point (I'm at like 80/80/80 of her badges).

edit: The merc mission interface simply wasn't designed for repeatedly sending out the same teams over and over every <10 minutes. It works okay for the missions that take an hour+.

vvvv Sunk cost, since I didn't find out you needed so many badges until already getting a whole bunch of them. I'm also not seriously complaining in a "and therefore I don't like the game" sort of way. I'm finally in the home stretch now, but it's just such a bizarre decision, especially given the relatively reasonable nature of most of the other blade side quests (except Vess's, which is also pretty dumb and grindy, though at least hers isn't required to unlock her 5th affinity ring).

(I would also prefer to use her as an ice healer blade to the titty rabbit)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 21, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Like why do Ursula's thing if it's so tedious. It's not like there aren't more blades

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just remembered one other possible gameplay issue I wanted to mention. It seems like skills that benefit from position (like being behind or to the side of the enemy) do not work well with the cancelling out of driver arts. When you're using driver arts back to back, you don't really have a chance to reposition yourself, but I'm not really sure if the benefit from being in the right position is enough to outweigh the benefit from getting more skills off and charging your special more.

Five is a good example of this, since he has skills that benefit from both side and back attacks on the same weapons.

edit: btw, from repeatedly doing Ursula's merc missions I've become well acquainted with the fact that her portrait's feet look really hosed up. Those are not normally shaped feet.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 21, 2017

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Calaveron posted:

Like why do Ursula's thing if it's so tedious. It's not like there aren't more blades

the real final boss

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Damage from position stops being a thing by like chapter 4 for me when I can easily spam driver specials like it's melting candy.

Especially once you unlock the skill to chain multiple artes together.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tae posted:

Damage from position stops being a thing by like chapter 4 for me when I can easily spam driver specials like it's melting candy.

Yeah, my guess is that the damage from combos and chain attacks is so great that the extra damage from positioning doesn't matter much (though honestly, regular arts damage can sometimes be competitive with combo damage; one of Five's arts hits for a total of like 15,000, and combos occasionally do as little as ~25,000).

edit: Honestly, chain attacks do the bulk now. I remember back when I thought combos were a huge deal and dwarfed my regular damage, but now I have chain attacks regularly doing like 800k-1M while my combos only do ~50k.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tae posted:

There are a lot of Blades that have huge passive benefits to directional attacking that stack with the art benefits.

Wulfric does like 3-4x the damage if you attack from the side at max affinity with his +side attack arts, for instance. I wouldn't just ignore positioning entirely, just pick one art that relies on it and try to stick in that area imo. Especially if it overlaps with a damage buff.

Like with Rex I usually run Pyra/Wulfric since they both have arts with damage boost from the side and the hitbox there is generous. Just sit there and spam arts for increased damage while ditching the +damage from back art imo.

Pollyanna posted:

Tora has the ability to survive a lethal blow 1/battle and can revive your dudes. Lets you ignore the mechanic.

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 21, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zore posted:

Wulfric does like 3-4x the damage if you attack from the side at max affinity with his +side attack arts, for instance. I wouldn't just ignore positioning entirely, just pick one art that relies on it and try to stick in that area imo. Especially if it overlaps with a damage buff.

This comes back to something I asked before; are the yellow (middle) affinity chart circles always active at max affinity, or are they just occasionally randomly applied to you by your blade? Same question goes for the ones with the sword symbol I guess, though I'm pretty sure those are selectively applied.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

It's really rude to stick a high level check I can't pass in this middle of this factory after I spent a good while clearing out the level 33+ enemies

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ytlaya posted:

This comes back to something I asked before; are the yellow (middle) affinity chart circles always active at max affinity, or are they just occasionally randomly applied to you by your blade? Same question goes for the ones with the sword symbol I guess, though I'm pretty sure those are selectively applied.

The middle ones are randomly applied by the blade, the ones on the left are always active if conditions are met iirc.

Like Pyra always has the damage buff versus beasts but applies the accuracy increase randomly during battle while she's out.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wow, I almost can't believe what an extremely cool position Myrmidon Eugene is in. Tight walkway over death drop, blowdown moves, impossible to read counterattacks that cause said blowdown, and to top it off if you try to lure him to safer ground a level 80 bird has been very carefully placed there and will spot you. These are totally the combat mechanics I want to be tested on, Xenoblade. Good job.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I was just about to say, seems like the least hassle would be to counter blowoff him off the edge and then he walked off himself in pursuit of a very dead Rex. Great encounter design all around here.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Zore posted:

The middle ones are randomly applied by the blade, the ones on the left are always active if conditions are met iirc.

Like Pyra always has the damage buff versus beasts but applies the accuracy increase randomly during battle while she's out.

The red nodes on the affinity chart apply to the level 1, 2, and 3 special. The yellow nodes are active all the time (while that blade is out) unless the description says it requires some condition to be met.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

The red ones enhance the corresponding special only (like Dromarchs level 2 says "heal X% HP on hit" and that would be nuts if constantly active). The yellow ones are passive effects that are constantly active. Blade Arts are the ones that are randomly applied and those don't appear on the affinity chart at all

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Amppelix posted:

The red ones enhance the corresponding special only (like Dromarchs level 2 says "heal X% HP on hit" and that would be nuts if constantly active). The yellow ones are passive effects that are constantly active. Blade Arts are the ones that are randomly applied and those don't appear on the affinity chart at all

Oh poo poo, that is good to know, thanks. I had the completely wrong idea (other than the yellow ones being constantly active). Knowing how to trigger the red ones will be a big help. I was wondering about that, since most of the healers seem to have the "chance of spitting out 2 potions" thing and obviously every single attack wasn't spitting out potions. I'm guessing that the mod that you can apply 3 of to Poppi applies to her specials as well?

I'm going to have to take a new look at all my rares with this in mind.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pollyanna posted:

Hey, they're not wrong. This game does a lot of backwards-rear end things.

Also, what's the point of relying on common blades for skills in merc missions? You're often lucky to get one of each bonus skill if you're doing all commons. Rare blades are better in pretty much every single department, and the time spent on growing 3-4 star commons is better spent on rares.

Also, what's everybody's least favorite part of growing Blades? Mine is the "kill X enemy" one, because it's boring and they don't even give you a bestiary.

I have a 3-star fire element bitball common blade on Nia who has orb mastery. That alone makes them more valuable than Dromarch or Vess. I forget what their other passives are but you can luck out and get a common blade with obscene power if it has things like faster art recharge and back attack damage boosts (provided it's not a tank blade). I've still never pulled a 4 star common blade.

I'd absolutely be ok with the game having just 2x as many rare blades and zero common blades though.

Pollyanna posted:

I can't think of a single thing that I had problems with in chapter 10. :shrug:

Unless you mean the final boss using that Siren beam super attack, since that one-shot Rex and Nia at level 70, but Tora easily survived it and revived them. When I refought the boss at lvl 73 Rex and Nia both survived it, though Rex was down to about 86hp.

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, my guess is that the damage from combos and chain attacks is so great that the extra damage from positioning doesn't matter much (though honestly, regular arts damage can sometimes be competitive with combo damage; one of Five's arts hits for a total of like 15,000, and combos occasionally do as little as ~25,000).

edit: Honestly, chain attacks do the bulk now. I remember back when I thought combos were a huge deal and dwarfed my regular damage, but now I have chain attacks regularly doing like 800k-1M while my combos only do ~50k.

Zenobia's topple-bonus-damage skill regularly does more damage for me than Nia or Tora's level 3 specials even when the target isn't toppled. If I'm doing a driver combo I can pop it immediately after toppling with Pyra, then cancel it in to Zenobia's launch, and unless I've died already during the fight I'm pretty much guaranteed to rip aggro. Tora needs to generate about 2-3x more aggro than they normally do.

Amppelix posted:

Wow, I almost can't believe what an extremely cool position Myrmidon Eugene is in. Tight walkway over death drop, blowdown moves, impossible to read counterattacks that cause said blowdown, and to top it off if you try to lure him to safer ground a level 80 bird has been very carefully placed there and will spot you. These are totally the combat mechanics I want to be tested on, Xenoblade. Good job.

They spawn on the platform up above (though you'll see their tombstone there now I guess). I had a similar reaction when I encountered them. Only I managed to keep them on the walkway the entire time somehow.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

tap my mountain posted:

It's amazing how much worse the merc system than peace walker's

There are a lot of games with similar merc systems and this one is the worst I've seen. If I could skip the individual blade level ups and have missions auto-fill with unequipped blades that meet the requirements it'd be fine, but as-is managing it can be an annoying chore.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

Fyi, chapter 8 doesn't seem to increase the rare blade cap. I left chapter 7 with 7 remaining, and couldn't get another to pop in 8.

Chapter 9 flipped the switch back on and gave me 4 of those remaining ones. Just Newt, Vale, and Dahlia to go!

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Kill me

The cooking requirements suck too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ The location names were originally things like Superbia (Mor Ordain), Invidia (Uraya), Arcadia (Indol), Luxuria (Tantal), etc. Though I guess whether that's better or not is up to personal preference.

Hahaha, that is not a very good equivalent for kansai dialect. Then again, it's hard to come up with much of an equivalent, though it would definitely be something more "unsophisticated." The best equivalent I can think of in the context of America is some sort of weird hybrid of a Brooklyn accent, Boston accent, and Southern accent.

They don't bother trying for a straight equivalent, they just give him a hell of a lot of character that's all Zekenator, baby :allears:.

Seriously though, dub Zeke and Pandoria are great.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I really thought Zeke's dub VA just couldn't ham it up as well as his JP one.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The whole Turters scene was high art my friend

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
What time does Nintendo usually drop their patches?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

JP Zeke is much better yeah

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

JP Rex = ENG Rex
JP Nia < ENG Nia
JP Tora < ENG Tora
JP Morag > ENG Morag
JP Zeke > ENG Zeke

It's a real toss up...

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Eng Nia sounded too quiet and fast in the scenes I saw for my liking

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

JP Rex = ENG Rex
JP Nia < ENG Nia
JP Tora < ENG Tora
JP Morag > ENG Morag
JP Zeke > ENG Zeke

It's a real toss up...

The common blades with the ridiculous southern accent kinda tip it into the ENG side though. They should have given that voice to a rare blade.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I need to hear more JPN Morag because what I heard in a small scene was terrible.

Then again Morag is a terrible character she has a cool design but she can be written out of the plot and have literally nothing change. She's only standing around in scenes so Brighid can have a excuse to be there.I think she only has like, 5 lines in the entire last third of the game?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nerdz posted:

The common blades with the ridiculous southern accent kinda tip it into the ENG side though. They should have given that voice to a rare blade.

Dahlia is a southern belle, darlin' :wink:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Okay, did I miss a cutscene or was there zero payoff for the bit about Zeke's MAGIC THUNDER EYE bullshit

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Okay, did I miss a cutscene or was there zero payoff for the bit about Zeke's MAGIC THUNDER EYE bullshit

I'm not sure what you expected. Pandoria literally says it's because he couldn't afford a second contact moments after he makes his claim. He even has battle quotes about the one he does have falling out sometimes.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm not sure what you expected. Pandoria literally says it's because he couldn't afford a second contact moments after he makes his claim. He even has battle quotes about the one he does have falling out sometimes.
I wanted to see it :shobon:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's an anime cliche.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I haven't listened to the Japanese voices, but I will say English Malos is great.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
Thinking about it, late game spoilers: Malos is pretty much the only villain that's even slightly sympathetic. Dude never had a chance if he was imprinted with Amalthus's chronic jrpg villain nihilism. The rest of torna don't have the excuse of being born a dickhead though, so they're still terrible in every way.

So glad when akhos finally died after being the chapter boss like 5 loving times.

Torna is bad, Malos is hilarious and good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Valliantstu posted:

Thinking about it, late game spoilers: Malos is pretty much the only villain that's even slightly sympathetic. Dude never had a chance if he was imprinted with Amalthus's chronic jrpg villain nihilism. The rest of torna don't have the excuse of being born a dickhead though, so they're still terrible in every way.

So glad when akhos finally died after being the chapter boss like 5 loving times.

Torna is bad, Malos is hilarious and good.

Torna's members are with Malos because they have literally nowhere else to go. He's the only person that has treated them like actual people and not unholy abominations. You get a good look at Indol trying to kill Nia for being a cannibalistic horror as well, even though it wasn't by her own choice. Rex treating her like a friend (aside from her brief stint with Torna) was something completely new to her after a life of abuse.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Patch is out, looks like Easy Mode for Tiger! Tiger! has more powerups (there were like six angled shots in level 1) and makes the ascent way slower.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

TurnipFritter posted:

Patch is out, looks like Easy Mode for Tiger! Tiger! has more powerups (there were like six angled shots in level 1) and makes the ascent way slower.

I wonder if the loot is worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Why are people obsessed with salvaging in that one specific spot? It seem like once you get the golden cylinders most spots are fine.