Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

gently caress yea, Botswana, one of the few Southern African countries never to have experienced a civil war, corrupt inept leaders, gross negligence of those in power, or any other poo poo trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

New Star Wars sucked on a structural and editing level but because it pissed off fanboys with its plot decisions it's being hailed as great by many.

idk. i liked the plot points genuinly, i wish it had gone farther in some areas but thats just me. the fanboys being pissed is just a bonus.

Bottom Liner posted:

the entire point of TLJ was to poo poo on past Star Wars films :laffo:

that too.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JonathanTamari/status/943977577588449281

Rand Paul is such a goddamn embarrassment.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

good, i am glad he is mad, gently caress him. hope his neighbor gives him another visit.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I was disappointed by the new Star Wars if only because the seem physically incapable of not following the old movies to the letter. gently caress, if you're going to do something, do something new, don't just redo the old movies with different scenery and some different twists.

Also the script desperately needed an editor

Like did you see the new Star Wars which basically said gently caress dynasties and the old stuff we are going to do something new. I mean yea Force Awakens is pretty much a remake but Last Jedi is it's own thing.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

I like how the phantom middle class earner donates half a month's pay to charity every year.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Why even bother with that poo poo on the senate floor, your voters won’t care about the truth and your colleagues already know.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Office Pig posted:

Why even bother with that poo poo on the senate floor, your voters won’t care about the truth and your colleagues already know.

desperately trying to grasp what remains of his soul

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Evil Fluffy posted:

Especially Holdo (eventually) deciding to warp a Mon Calamari Cruiser through Snoke's flagship and the FO fleet.

My buddy and I both loved the movie but I agree with his assessment that that should've been Admiral Ackbar's moment.

"It's a trap, muthafuckas!"

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/AngelRafPadilla/status/943971504315920386

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Madkal posted:

Like did you see the new Star Wars which basically said gently caress dynasties and the old stuff we are going to do something new. I mean yea Force Awakens is pretty much a remake but Last Jedi is it's own thing.

That's good to hear, I was part of the minority who didn't like Force Awakens when it came out because the whole movie just felt like bad fanfiction with no new ideas. Wasn't going to see the new one if it continued that trend, might reconsider if they're going in a new direction.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/Cernovich/status/943964069484044288

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Who knew WW3 was going to be between the US and Botswana.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

You like The Flash and say gently caress Rian Johnson without having seen the movie. Hmm yes you seem to be a good source for what is and isn’t good.

Yes I wonder what the difference between these too things are. Surely not Iris and Joe West and Cisco Ramon being front and center and me not liking what I'm hearing with regards to Finn's storyline.

Like I'm looking at it from a different standpoint to you. Different people have different things that are important to them when it comes to storytelling.

Shocking.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I liked the new SW movie.

It basically had to create some new poo poo or it was going to be retreads of the original trilogy forever. They did that and I'm fine with it.

Black Panther is going to own so loving hard, though, and part of the joy will be harvesting the tears of white comic book fanboys(I am a white comic book fan).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

happyhippy posted:

Who knew WW3 was going to be between the US and Botswana.

Trump can't find it on the map, accidentally nukes Madagascar.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Koalas March posted:

Yes I wonder what the difference between these too things are. Surely not Iris and Joe West and Cisco Ramon being front and center and me not liking what I'm hearing with regards to Finn's storyline.

Like I'm looking at it from a different standpoint to you. Different people have different things that are important to them when it comes to storytelling.

Shocking.

what have your heard exactly about it?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Note: Great Man Theory has been discredited for ages and is basically the most intellectually lazy way to look at history.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Koalas March posted:

Shocking.

You're basically exactly the person the new movie is aimed at, to the point that someone is lying to you

spoiler-free quote from a spoiler-filled article

quote:

The Last Jedi has a clear message: The nearly all-white, overwhemingly male, privilege-based way of thinking that celebrates war culture and toxic masculinity and that created the First Order has to go, both in the larger world and as it’s internalized in our hearts and minds, and in its place will be something entirely new, created by diverse young people who are walking away from war culture, walking away from toxic masculinity, walking away from systems of privilege. What new society will they create? We don’t know. But we do know that old ways of thinking have failed us in every possible way.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Note: Great Man Theory has been discredited for ages and is basically the most intellectually lazy way to look at history.

yep. like yeah, there are great people in history but its not because they are magical greats. its because of tons of other poo poo, like political landscape and economics, and ideals.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

New Star Wars sucked on a structural and editing level but because it pissed off fanboys with its plot decisions it's being hailed as great by many.

I mean it is plot hole city, but an entertaining movie.

The fact that it poo poo on its own self-obsessed fandom from a great height by de-constructing it's own mythos is just a bonus.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Koalas March posted:

Shocking.

You admitted you didn't see it and haven't said what you heard so why are you being defensive about this?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Night10194 posted:

Anthony "The Mooch" Scaramucci is the modern day Genghis Khan.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Madkal posted:

Trump can't find it on the map, accidentally nukes Madagascar.

Togo bombs a New Zealand harbor and they join in winning the war for Botswana

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 22, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

You're basically exactly the person the new movie is aimed at, to the point that someone is lying to you

spoiler-free quote from a spoiler-filled article

loving this. the movie is all about the older generation either loving up and or failing or being stupid monsters and its up to the younger generation to make it a better place. the only bad part of finns arc is how badly hamfisted the ending is. other then that he is fine, that bad parts of his plot line arnt on him, its all weird pacing issues. the themes are still strong and tie into the rest of the movie.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

biracial bear for uncut posted:

EDIT: Somebody already posted it in that Twitter thread.

Every time I see this gif I was lose it at the "Is actually named Henry"

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/943975930019577856

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/943977318598488065

The new CReeP

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

loving this. the movie is all about the older generation either loving up and or failing or being stupid monsters and its up to the younger generation to make it a better place. the only bad part of finns arc is how badly hamfisted the ending is. other then that he is fine, that bad parts of his plot line arnt on him, its all weird pacing issues. the themes are still strong and tie into the rest of the movie.

Eh?

I picked up two themes:

Heroics win fights, but lose wars.

A movement is larger than its leaders.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I mean given the movement in question died hilariously as Kylo went "gently caress you, gently caress everything prophecy related and gently caress the Force I don't think that's accurate

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Boon posted:

You admitted you didn't see it and haven't said what you heard so why are you being defensive about this?

Because whenever representation is brought up someone almost always comes out of the woodwork to shut it down or bitch at me about why I care.

Representation is important, full stop. I'm glad it seems like the movie is good on that.

What I've heard is Finn's storyline was pointless and he was unnecessarily physically brutalized by space Nazis. If that's not the case I'm ecstatic. But I mean in that context, of course I'd be unhappy with it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Madkal posted:

gently caress yea, Botswana, one of the few Southern African countries never to have experienced a civil war, corrupt inept leaders, gross negligence of those in power, or any other poo poo trap.

they're struggling with HIV and Peak Cow, but yeah, Botswana is a success story and I'm rooting for them :3:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Star Wars was fine (if a bit long) and the "Unlimited Power" cocktail I got from the theater bar was tasty. It's worth a matinee if you're into it, but it's neither the best or worst movie I've seen this year.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

I mean given the movement in question died hilariously as Kylo went "gently caress you, gently caress everything prophecy related and gently caress the Force I don't think that's accurate

Other than the trillions of people who are still ruled by the movement which controls all official governance in the galaxy?

The Empire reformed into the First Order because the problem wasn't contained to one or two bad guys at the top. That was the whole point of the movie. A few people at the top can neither fix nor break the system.

The system was broken before the Empire because the system had stopped giving a poo poo about people. Killing Vader and the Emp didn't fix the problem because they are the symptoms, not the cause.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fury Road is still the best movie I've seen this year.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
Everybody say "Thank you Mr. Trump!"

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/943932575629893633

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Kibayasu posted:

Fury Road is still the best movie I've seen this year.

Baby Driver is this year's Fury Road for me

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Ya'll afrofuturism people should read The Fifth Season trilogy it's unbelievably good.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Koalas March posted:

Because whenever representation is brought up someone almost always comes out of the woodwork to shut it down or bitch at me about why I care.

Representation is important, full stop. I'm glad it seems like the movie is good on that.

What I've heard is Finn's storyline was pointless and he was unnecessarily physically brutalized by space Nazis. If that's not the case I'm ecstatic. But I mean in that context, of course I'd be unhappy with it.

Mild spoilers, but still His storyline ended up not mattering to the outcome, but it was still a very core part of the film. He basically just got hosed over because the Empire actually decided to have a basic modicum of security on their god damned flag ship for once. He still had a lot of great scenes, both action and comedy. And he definitely came off better than Poe because more than anything, TLJ was 2 and half hours of just making GBS threads on him for trying to look heroic instead of actually thinking.

Also, Rey does some cool stuff and learns that there is a lot more to being a good person than just achieving the title of Jedi

Edit: Trump Thread II: Star Wars chat, itt

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 22, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Koalas March posted:

not really. the first point is debatble, its not, but that would be spoilers. the second part is bullshit. phasma wants them basically beheaded but it never comes to anything, then he kicks her rear end. they dont beat him up or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Bottom Liner posted:

the entire point of TLJ was to poo poo on past Star Wars films :laffo:

Yeah, and it did so while ripping the old ones off wholesale. The broad strokes of TLJ are practically identical to ESB with a bit of ROTJ mixed in, and the visuals and events of specific scenes are meant to specifically evoke the old films. It's a cynical attempt to take the old films, wrap them with some slightly darker tones with different twists (Oh, Luke's an rear end in a top hat now! Rey's parents weren't important at all! How loving transgressive!), and present it as a new, fresh take on the franchise, and to me it all just rings completely and utterly hollow.

• Locked thread