Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Currently pissing me off: I am unable to load a web page on a system hosted in a remote datacenter over SSL running specific browser versions.

I'm being told that this is an SSL Certificate issue. I have Wireshark captures showing the Server is sending a loving packet to the client, but the client never receives the packet.

STILL BEING TOLD THIS IS A CERTIFICATE ISSUE AND THAT I AM DUMB. gently caress OFF COWORKER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Siochain posted:

So what's the "Average" in IT for a yearly raise (for those who get one)? Should I be pissed about 2%? I'm in a bad job market for just "leaving" and finding something better, but at this point I'm willing to go find a camp job (I'm in the mining industry) and fly in/out. Or transfer underground and get 3x the pay with zero stress.
In previous jobs, my raises ranged from 0-3% annually. Last job was 3% annually. Got a 15% raise by getting a new job.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Ken MacLeod posted:

Imagine a world where speaking or writing words can literally and directly make things happen, where getting one of those words wrong can wreak unbelievable havoc, but where with the right spell you can summon immensely powerful agencies to work your will. Imagine further that this world is administered: there is an extensive division of labour, among the magicians themselves and between the magicians and those who coordinate their activity. It’s bureaucratic, and also (therefore) chaotic, and it’s full of people at desks muttering curses and writing invocations, all beavering away at a small part of the big picture. The coordinators, because they don’t understand what’s going on, are easy prey for smooth-talking preachers of bizarre cults that demand arbitrary sacrifices and vanish with large amounts of money. Welcome to the IT department.

(From the introduction to "The Atrocity Archives" by Charles Stross)

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Sounds like the D'ni to me.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Sounds like the D'ni to me.

Much better, IMO. Not many heroes save the world from eldritch incursions and then STILL have to deal with a BSA licensing audit...

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
But you repeat yourself.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Wish I could favorite a post.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
poo poo pissing me off: The facilities team is out for their team dinner. They left at four thirty.

The receptionist, who's a lovely woman, is technically part of the facilities team.

I've been manning a loving reception desk for an hour. I have three last minute newhires that need to be done tomorrow, since we've next week off and these guys are starting January second.

I'm not a goddamn receptionist. That's not a dig against receptionists, it's just that this is not my loving job.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Iron Rose posted:

poo poo pissing me off: The facilities team is out for their team dinner. They left at four thirty.

The receptionist, who's a lovely woman, is technically part of the facilities team.

I've been manning a loving reception desk for an hour. I have three last minute newhires that need to be done tomorrow, since we've next week off and these guys are starting January second.

I'm not a goddamn receptionist. That's not a dig against receptionists, it's just that this is not my loving job.

You know exactly how much your company values you at this point.

(That or they expect you to do whatever they ask without any fuss, but probably both)

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Sickening posted:

You know exactly how much your company values you at this point.

(That or they expect you to do whatever they ask without any fuss, but probably both)

the latter, and yeah my boss is going to get a goddamn earful about this. He did ask the whole team, which is nice on the one hand...

But I'm still the most junior member of the team. Even a blind loving cat could figure out how that's going to go.

I can't decide whether or not the fact that our department was only informed that someone needed to cover the desk this morning makes it better or worse.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 21, 2017

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

The Iron Rose posted:

the latter, and yeah my boss is going to get a goddamn earful about this.

I can't decide whether or not the fact that our department was only informed that someone needed to cover the desk this morning makes it better or worse.

Reminds of the place that I just got let go from. On holiday events where the rest of the staff was allowed to leave early with pay, our department decided we needed to have a few of us stay behind. The problem being is that the main receptionist would not be there so all inbound calls would just be met with a "the office is now closed" message.

So 2 or 3 of us would be stuck there at our desk, doing nothing while the rest of the company was off enjoying the holiday early.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Being 100% unsupervised and uninterrupted at work actually owns though. You can work on side projects or catch up on poo poo or mash F5 on your favorite website if you want.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have tried so many times to get our customer-facing team to actually check that whatever router installed for customers is capable of dealing with the connection speed that they are about to sell, that I am now just admitting defeat and giving up. I'd quite happily just provide the correct gear and take the costs out of their commission, but our CEO doesn't believe sales can do any wrong.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

xzzy posted:

Being 100% unsupervised and uninterrupted at work actually owns though. You can work on side projects or catch up on poo poo or mash F5 on your favorite website if you want.

Most of the office is on vacation this week and the next and I'm pretty much by myself for most of the day so I loaded stardew valley on my laptop (it's mine, not the company's, went byod after the laptop they gave me turned out to be a brick in the shape of a laptop) and did some farming while waiting for image updates to process. It's a pretty good game to play in short spurts, helpfully pauses when it loses focus.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

hihifellow posted:

Most of the office is on vacation this week and the next and I'm pretty much by myself for most of the day so I loaded stardew valley on my laptop (it's mine, not the company's, went byod after the laptop they gave me turned out to be a brick in the shape of a laptop) and did some farming while waiting for image updates to process. It's a pretty good game to play in short spurts, helpfully pauses when it loses focus.

I worked on making an AWS factorio spot instance deployment that wasn’t garbage and used lambda and api gateway with backups. I found a github that was a dumpster fire and fixed it. Things pissing me off: incorrectly documented github projects that take me an hour to realize they left out variables and such.

I chalked this up to “work learning”

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

Thanks Ants posted:

I have tried so many times to get our customer-facing team to actually check that whatever router installed for customers is capable of dealing with the connection speed that they are about to sell, that I am now just admitting defeat and giving up. I'd quite happily just provide the correct gear and take the costs out of their commission, but our CEO doesn't believe sales can do any wrong.

Out of interest (As I have a similar situation) what router would you use for 500meg or faster leased lines ? A client has a 500meg line, but our sales people sold them a Draytek, which seems to top out at 300meg throughput. I've looking at spec sheets for weeks, and Mikrotik stuff looks like it can handle the throughput, but until I buy and fit one, I have no way of actually testing ...

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
a person was fired today & was walked out the door & I was the guy who talked to him last

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
:smith:

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

it was for performance-related issues & he knew it was coming but ya that's messed up I guess

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

A3th3r posted:

a person was fired today & was walked out the door & I was the guy who talked to him last

Do you mean last in conversation that didn't involve "You're fired"? Or the you were the manager that had to break the news?

Because it sucks in general seeing anyone fired, sucks more to see them be fired the weekend before Christmas, and sucks the most to have to be the one to actually do the firing in those circumstances.

Also, why do you hate sentences? As in capital letters and punctuation.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

No, I just chit-chatted with him as he was walking out. Incidentally, I actually suggested that he try to work at my previous workplace, as I left that place on good terms & know people there. I guess I should clarify. He was a temporary seasonal employee & his three months was up, & that just happened to be his last day.

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer
I don't think that means he was fired.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I hate security auditors. Is this where people from HR go or something when they 'are good with computers'?

"Your login form says 'that username does not exist'. Bad security practice!"

Yea, but the signup form will tell you the same loving thing. "Username is taken". So what's the point?

"YOU MUST HAVE THIS CHECKBOX CHECKED TO PASS MY AUDIT"

Suck a dick for five minutes, I'll change the wording so then our website becomes SECURE

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Bob Morales posted:

I hate security auditors. Is this where people from HR go or something when they 'are good with computers'?

Yea, but the signup form will tell you the same loving thing. "Username is taken". So what's the point?

Suck a dick for five minutes, I'll change the wording so then our website becomes SECURE

This exact content is in the security+ cert so I imagine auditors are people who get a cursory glance into IT security and never learn enough to apply it to real-life scenarios.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

It's 9:48am

We're (IT) is supposed to run a projector and laptop over to the local bowling alley at 11:00am so we can have our Christmas Eve luncheon at noon.

HR lady comes down and says 'oh by the way can you have it play a loop of company pictures while everyone is eating?'

Sure, we can just play a PowerPoint on repeat. What should we use?

"Uhh can you just throw some pictures together?"

:effort:

I told my helpdesk guy to just throw everyone's lovely employee headshots in a loop since they didn't tell us what to use.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

quote ! edit

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Fuuuuuuck no, you'll just make IT look bad. Make HR lady throw the headshots together and pin her name to it.

When it comes to the image of the IT department I don't gently caress around. The less people respect IT the less they respect the equipment and the processes.

"I'm sorry, we don't have the resources to create a slideshow since we're monitoring the security and performance of our companies technology."

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

A3th3r posted:

He was a temporary seasonal employee & his three months was up, & that just happened to be his last day.

A3th3r posted:

it was for performance-related issues & he knew it was coming but ya that's messed up I guess

Uh...

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Funny coincidence this rant just showed up on hacker news: "Username or password is incorrect" is bullshit

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mewse posted:

Funny coincidence this rant just showed up on hacker news: "Username or password is incorrect" is bullshit

And next week:

"We passed the exact same audit last year...why don't we pass this year?"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mewse posted:

Love this comment

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I assume it was a contract to hire position, and he didn't make the cut.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Fuuuuuuck no, you'll just make IT look bad. Make HR lady throw the headshots together and pin her name to it.

When it comes to the image of the IT department I don't gently caress around. The less people respect IT the less they respect the equipment and the processes.

"I'm sorry, we don't have the resources to create a slideshow since we're monitoring the security and performance of our companies technology."

10:54, owners daughter comes down with a new powerpoint she wants to use :buddy:

Edit: Adding 4 slides, not a whole new powerpoint

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bob Morales posted:

10:54, owners daughter comes down with a new powerpoint she wants to use :buddy:

Edit: Adding 4 slides, not a whole new powerpoint

I can't help but think this ends with "11:30, the boardroom is now a bloodbath by my own hands and I feel no guilt for my deeds".

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I can't help but think this ends with "11:30, the boardroom is now a bloodbath by my own hands and I feel no guilt for my deeds".

Seems like a good way to start a holiday.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

no jury of your peers would convict

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
So, we’re transitioning in house.

All this time they keep saying they’ll bring up our pay to market rate. Market rate market rate market rate is the mantra everyone has been parroting for the last month while I be a cynical pessimistic poo poo.

Guess who gets to say I told you so?

Now they’re going around asking people their salary so they can just pay them that with the promise that they’ll implement this market rate salary in the summer at their fiscal year start, along with retroactive pay. Their excuse is that the research firm didn’t get them the data in time... you’ve had since September.

Whole thing reeks of bullshit. Why do I get the feeling they have no intention of ever paying anybody at that rate? They’ll either have another excuse in the summer or fire people and bring in cheaper workers/H1-Bs. It’s the embodiment of “I am altering the deal, pray I do not alter it any further”.

I know the answer is get another job. I’ve been trying get the gently caress out for a while, went deep with another firm, but ultimately got walked. I just don’t know what to do anymore to be honest, feel like I’m in an airliner with the wings ripped off, the only way is down and there’s nothing I can do. I’m going through 2 bottles of liquor a month, and that’s a lot for me.

Fake edit: I was also promised a half comp day for coming in after the holiday party last week. I wasn’t permitted to use it all week because people took the day off or got sick. We usually get cut loose early the Friday before a holiday, but that is again not to be for me. God I hate this place.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 22, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
My first tenant migration over the weekend for office 365 while also coming down with a stomach virus. Got sick when it was already too late to turn back and reschedule.

This week has followed up with rejoicing with it all being done and the celebration that ensured on Monday. Then my dog of 15 years dies suddenly on Tuesday. Then I get a massive holiday bonus I didn't expect on Weds. Then one of my children gets my stomach virus and projectile vomits for a full day today. What will tomorrow bring?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bought any lottery tickets lately? Might wanna start there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

The Iron Rose posted:

no jury of your peers would convict
No attorney would permit a jury full of tech folks. It'll be 12 old people who will give the death sentence.