Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Manky posted:

Spaceships are very much real things, and usually are piloted by astronauts who were trained in things like fighter planes. (A lot of pilots will say that flying a modern fighter plane is pretty much like flying a spaceship, by the way.)

Not sure if you're trolling but gonna respond earnestly anyway. You realize no human has flown an interstellar spaceship, much less one from a sci-fi story, let alone a lot of pilots having done so. This is weirdest video game realism argument I've ever heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

FuzzySlippers posted:

Space trucker still sounds like a fun game I want to play. The problem is Elite isn't even much of a trucking game since you don't have to drive between stops. You point in a direction and wait. Landing at both ends stays interesting for a bit. The rest of the game is still so bare bones. I know the trade system has some depth but interacting with it in the game is pretty terrible.

My brief time with X it at least actually had space highways. It didn't have the absolute incredible atmosphere of Elite, but on those space highways you had to dodge some things and find your space highway exits at least.

As I've said I'm kinda over space WW2. Bring on something different than trying to get on another ships tail and light them up with space machine guns.

Elite is an interactive screensaver to me.
I got over the fact that it is a pretty mind numbing game a long long time ago and nowadays just load it up a few times a year and marvel at just how god drat impressive it can be.
It'll always there if I want to have my mind blown, and every time I play it it does just that. It's a unique, humbling experience with some of the absolute best times any modern software can provide, from the ship handling to the loving mind bending size of it all, the stunning asteroid fields to the crazy fun combat - it really is a piece of work.
I just also know that for me it's a loving shambolic, woeful excuse for a game - so I don't try and force a square peg in the round hole any more, I accept it for what it is, and what brings me joy in it I bask in and ask nothing more of it.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Seashell Salesman posted:

Not sure if you're trolling but gonna respond earnestly anyway. You realize no human has flown an interstellar spaceship, much less one from a sci-fi story, let alone a lot of pilots having done so. This is weirdest video game realism argument I've ever heard

I was not trolling, I was referring to the real spaceships that do exist! Yes, I do know interstellar travel has not been accomplished by humans. But should one be built for a human pilot, I place a very safe bet on it having controls like one of those real spaceships that actually exist.

e: Yeah I do think we've got pretty different ideas about what's realistic in a scifi space sim, and that's ok.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

homeless snail posted:

There's a big difference between pointing a gun with hand controllers and trying to manipulate imaginary joysticks and buttons. Like those games are good examples actually, cause pulling back charging handles and bolts and stuff in VR is super fiddly and kinda sucks

Counterpoint: https://clips.twitch.tv/AltruisticJazzySnailUWot
Maybe you just need to git gud?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

rage-saq posted:

Counterpoint: https://clips.twitch.tv/AltruisticJazzySnailUWot
Maybe you just need to git gud?
don't think you know how counterpoints work but lol

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Do you think John Glenn would have used motion controls? You'd be eating through a straw I tell you

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Songbearer posted:

Yeah, no worries. Here's what I've got.

Fixing the Touch controllers:

Download the OpenVR Emulator:
Go here and download "OpenVR-InputEmulator_v1.1_oculusfix2.exe". Install it to a directory. You shouldn't have to do anything further for now - the program should start automatically the next time you go into SteamVR. Try running the .exe in the directory and it should say it's already running.
That's pretty much all I have for now, but making the pipboy usable is obviously the big one here. I won't call the controls 100% responsive, but 80% is more than enough compared to the way it is by default. Hope this helps.

Just wanted to say thanks for this, and that its just now been updated at: https://github.com/matzman666/OpenVR-InputEmulator/releases

After remembering to opt out of steamvr beta, getting this set up, finally mounting cams for better room scale and finding that USB2 for every widget works best, am having a lot of motion-sicky fun.

Also Elite VR with hotas is a lot of fun.

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 22, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Manky posted:

I was not trolling, I was referring to the real spaceships that do exist! Yes, I do know interstellar travel has not been accomplished by humans. But should one be built for a human pilot, I place a very safe bet on it having controls like one of those real spaceships that actually exist.

e: Yeah I do think we've got pretty different ideas about what's realistic in a scifi space sim, and that's ok.

It's fun to use the touch controllers to flip switches and press buttons, and there are lots of random things to switch in Elite (headlights, rotation lock, flight assist, switch targets, open comms, windshield wipers, stealth mode, power balance, tea kettle, etc)

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lemming posted:

It's fun to use the touch controllers to flip switches and press buttons, and there are lots of random things to switch in Elite (headlights, rotation lock, flight assist, switch targets, open comms, windshield wipers, stealth mode, power balance, tea kettle, etc)

See I actually like this kind of thing a lot, simple buttons and switches translate/would work really nicely!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
At some point they are supposed to be having walking around, so I reckon touch controls may come with that because :lol: at walking around using a HOTAS

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

homeless snail posted:

don't think you know how counterpoints work but lol

Stated problem: using touch controls on charging handles and magazines are fiddly and bad
Counterpoint: casually burning through bullets tossing and juggling magazines easily without dropping or missing a reload

touch controllers would be awful for joystick emulation though

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

rage-saq posted:

Stated problem: using touch controls on charging handles and magazines are fiddly and bad
Counterpoint: casually burning through bullets tossing and juggling magazines easily without dropping or missing a reload

touch controllers would be awful for joystick emulation though

They are surprisingly good, but easy to mess up with since they don't recenter. This is why joysticks will always be more immersive: you feel every button pushed, and never do you feel there has been an error made due to the disconnect of real input and simulation.

Everyone who wants to fully understand this issue, play Ultrawings or VTOL VR more specifically, then play War Thunder Sim Battles or IL2 or Elite. They are entirely different experiences with differing fidelity. Heck, play X Rebirth if you want to suffer for a bit.

The actual complaints should be levied towards DCS, who have a clickable cockpit without physical interaction. That's the worst of both worlds, where the game is built for cockpit interaction but you have to use the joystick... and most likely the mouse. And several keys, potentially with shift or control or alt.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Is there anything base-building related in VR? I love the base building in survival games (though not the survival games themselves) and the idea of Minecraft, but.. I would like to not play Minecraft, I guess. I haven’t seen any and I figure it’s a hard sell for VR, but just wondering.

I owned Ark from a year ago but that game is still so janky I couldn’t get it to successfully boot in VR.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Subnautica is pretty good in VR. Not a survival game but Out of Ammo is a cool hybrid of tower defense/murder sim where you build gun emplacements and stuff.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Is there anything base-building related in VR? I love the base building in survival games (though not the survival games themselves) and the idea of Minecraft, but.. I would like to not play Minecraft, I guess. I haven’t seen any and I figure it’s a hard sell for VR, but just wondering.

I owned Ark from a year ago but that game is still so janky I couldn’t get it to successfully boot in VR.

There's Undead Development but I haven't played it myself.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone have experience with No Limits 2 coaster sim?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

In addition to subnautica, theres an early access survival/base building game called "Star Shelter" that takes place in space, and uses a lone echo style locomotion.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Tom Guycot posted:

In addition to subnautica, theres an early access survival/base building game called "Star Shelter" that takes place in space, and uses a lone echo style locomotion.

I completely forgot about subnautica and I already own it! Have you played Star Shelter? Is it janky? It looks like exactly what I want, albeit early access.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Ark booted for me in VR but it's exceptionally broken to the point of being useless and also Ark isn't even worth playing for me without plentiful use of the console since it's such a buggy mess.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I completely forgot about subnautica and I already own it! Have you played Star Shelter? Is it janky? It looks like exactly what I want, albeit early access.

Its got the jank you'd expect from early access, but it seemed to work mostly fine, mechanically.

EDIT: for what its worth I like it more than saubnautica, just because of the fact that its made for VR, you have your hands to use, and I think the lone echo style of zero g locomotion is just a brilliant fit for VR that works amazingly well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72VXMjO14oc
Seems about as professional as Phelps in the original game.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Subnautica is kb+m or pad only right?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Seashell Salesman posted:

Subnautica is kb+m or pad only right?

Yeah, its the one big bummer about playing it in vr. In a swimming game i would kill to be using my hands to grab onto surfaces, pick up stuff, mine stuff, swim, whatever.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Tom Guycot posted:

Its got the jank you'd expect from early access, but it seemed to work mostly fine, mechanically.

EDIT: for what its worth I like it more than saubnautica, just because of the fact that its made for VR, you have your hands to use, and I think the lone echo style of zero g locomotion is just a brilliant fit for VR that works amazingly well.

That locomotion is the best thing, I’ll have to try this out.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

On the topic of VR flying games, Ultrawings is 50% off.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Oh hey, that creepy KFC "training" video game came out for free.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Since Bridge Crew is 50% off, is it fun? If so is it long term fun or short term fun? I’ve heard that the community is cool so that’s good but I have only seen one playthrough on YouTube and although it looked neat and I like Star Trek, it seems like something that would be more fun with people you know irl vs. games that can be fun with random internet people.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

rio posted:

Since Bridge Crew is 50% off, is it fun? If so is it long term fun or short term fun? I’ve heard that the community is cool so that’s good but I have only seen one playthrough on YouTube and although it looked neat and I like Star Trek, it seems like something that would be more fun with people you know irl vs. games that can be fun with random internet people.

I think it's fun. Easy to learn, hard to master, so longer-term fun than most VR games. It's probably even better with three friends, but every random nerd crew I've played with has been great.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Cosmic Trip is also a base building game, sort of?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Another Bridge Crew question - did I miss the half off sale? It is 50 bucks on the Oculus Store. Or was it on sale somewhere else?

EDIT: I SOLVED THE GUARDIAN SYSTEM PROBLEM!

It turns out that even though I went back to the old home I was still receiving beta software. When I unchecked that it downloaded the old store interface and now the boundaries show. I also solved the disappearing sensor issue by disabling some dumb Asus bullshit that was running. Here’s hoping that is the last of my technical problems.

rio fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 22, 2017

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

rio posted:

Another Bridge Crew question - did I miss the half off sale? It is 50 bucks on the Oculus Store. Or was it on sale somewhere else?

EDIT: I SOLVED THE GUARDIAN SYSTEM PROBLEM!

It turns out that even though I went back to the old home I was still receiving beta software. When I unchecked that it downloaded the old store interface and now the boundaries show. I also solved the disappearing sensor issue by disabling some dumb Asus bullshit that was running. Here’s hoping that is the last of my technical problems.

Its on sale on steam, but as far as I know the steam version also runs native on oculus, and all the connections for networking are through uplay (thats how crossplay with steam/oculus/psvr works).

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

Its on sale on steam, but as far as I know the steam version also runs native on oculus, and all the connections for networking are through uplay (thats how crossplay with steam/oculus/psvr works).

Oh interesting. I wonder what factors into one platform cutting the price but not the other. I’ll just get it on Steam then.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I just got through the first portion of Tethered and it's really really good.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/431120/Tethered/

If anyone remembers Black and White from BITD it's similar to that except there aren't any rival gods (that I've seen yet). You order little "peeps" to collect things, then build things, then fight things. It's probably one of better looking and sounding titles I've played so far. If you want a semi-RTS game for VR it's only 10 bucks right now which is a hell of a deal for how polished it feels.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Just did a few bridge crew missions with Captain High-as-gently caress. It was good.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

50% off on Bridge Crew is probably the most discount we can expect to see for it for a long while right?

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Yeah probably

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

No Man's Sky would be a cool space trucker VR game.

In fallout 4 vr I cleared out a raider camp and was looting when I noticed a deathclaw prowling in the distance. I felt a legit shiver of fear. I'm having a lot of fun now that I've got into the swing of things.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Tom Guycot posted:

Oh hey, that creepy KFC "training" video game came out for free.

Link? I can't find this anywhere.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

SEKCobra posted:

Link? I can't find this anywhere.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1727232890655019/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Fallout 4 VR: until they unfuck scopes / you’re playing a pistolero, you def. want:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/28553/ - Improved Reticles: makes aiming so much better once you’ve modded a circle reflex sight into all your guns

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12363/ - Laser Sights: makes shooting from the hip fun instead of a chore.

Also

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/130/ - better gun sounds adds a lot to your immersion, especially once you’ve modded your 10mm as far as it goes or you’ve picked up Kellogg’s gun.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Dec 22, 2017