Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, and doesn't Nicehash still only deposit to Bitcoin? Woudln't you lose a whole chunk to the BTC processing fee? I thought it was something like $7 or something right now.. or it that only if you need it expedited?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Zero VGS posted:

Oh, and doesn't Nicehash still only deposit to Bitcoin? Woudln't you lose a whole chunk to the BTC processing fee? I thought it was something like $7 or something right now.. or it that only if you need it expedited?

Yup. Paying to BTC is both good and bad, depending on what BTC's price is doing. The withdrawl fee is 0.0005BTC, which right now works out to $7.75 or so. Hence why a lot of people were willing to let their earnings chill out in Nicehash's wallets vs paying $7 to withdraw $150 every month or so.

Also, for those of you jumping back on the Nicehash bandwaggon and who plan on actually using their computers while mining, I recommend taking a look at the older 1.8.x Legacy client. It properly allows you to set intensity levels of the various miners, meaning you can tune it to only be using 98-99% of your GPU and not lag the gently caress out of the rest of your computer. For whatever reason Nicehash 2.x seems to lack that ability.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Last time I tried to use the legacy client (a month or so before NH exploded) it didn't want to run on nVidia at all unless you reverted to an ancient driver. Is that still the case?

That said I'm not exactly sure what to think about the idea of touching the pubstovehashstove again.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

BTC is hosed right now.

https://blockchain.info/unconfirmed-transactions
280k unconfirmed transactions.

I tried sending $300 through my exodus wallet and the fee was $95.

I think I'll stick with awesomeminor/mining directly with the client or until nicehash offers different payouts coins.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

wolrah posted:

Last time I tried to use the legacy client (a month or so before NH exploded) it didn't want to run on nVidia at all unless you reverted to an ancient driver. Is that still the case?

I never had this issue. I'm running a single 1080 and have the most recent drivers and have zero issues.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

diapermeat posted:

BTC is hosed right now.

I think I'll stick with awesomeminor/mining directly with the client or until nicehash offers different payouts coins.

"Transactions Per Second 3.27"

It's almost like it's growth can't be sustained past a certain point...

But yeah, once the Nicehash honeymoon honeypots are over, if Winminer can get within 10% or so, I'd probably just go with them for ease of moving my funbux somewhere I can actually spend them.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

DrDork posted:

"Transactions Per Second 3.27"

It's almost like it's growth can't be sustained past a certain point...

But yeah, once the Nicehash honeymoon honeypots are over, if Winminer can get within 10% or so, I'd probably just go with them for ease of moving my funbux somewhere I can actually spend them.

I agree, even as im blinded by these daily rates (which so far might actually pan out for today much to my surprise) if Winminer gets pretty close later on, I'll likely switch back. Those payout limits and options are hard to beat, and the web portal is far superior ... when working

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

loving around with WinMiner now to see if the userbase switch back to NiceHash is going to do anything for WinMiner $/day. So far it's benchmarking $7.20 CAD/day doing ZEN on a 1080Ti which is better than I was getting on NiceHash pre-hack. Will post more results once it finishes benching.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

diapermeat posted:

BTC is hosed right now.

Truly a free replacement for fiat

edit: $89 to transfer $200 lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/7lc9sn/transaction_taking_forever_with_large_fee/

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 21, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

I love the comments beginning to question whether this can be the future of anything.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Craptacular! posted:

I love the comments beginning to question whether this can be the future of anything.

Atleast you arn't paying amex 1.9%

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/7lc2ay/just_been_robbed_by_transaction_fees/

paid £50 for £13.50 in bitcoin lol

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it sounds like NiceHash is an absolute non-option for anyone small-time, not even considering the scams. How are you gonna get the money out? Wait forever for BTC fees to go down, if ever? The only other way to mitigate the fees it to save up all your BTC on NiceHash's side and we all saw how that worked out, lol. They'll be dead in the water if they don't put in some other poo poo like WinMiner.

Edit: Comedy option, NiceHash auto-pays back all the people who were owed ~$150 in BitCoins and transaction fees consume 100% of it.

Edit 2: Does BTC let a transaction go through if it costs more than the amount? Like can people spam 1-penny transfers to crash the coin or did they think of that?

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 22, 2017

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Bitcoin network has no sanity for costs. A guy spent 50,000 dollars to transfer 5 dollars because he messed up some fields.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah you can put whatever you want in transactions. I remember some /r/buttcoin post linking to people doing dumb poo poo like accidentally attaching $3000 in transaction fees to a $20 transaction and whatnot.

Meanwhile, Winminer has dropped to $5.50 CAD/day, so what the gently caress are we even doing here

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I ran WinMiner and Nicehash for similar lengths of time. Roughly an hour.

In NiceHash, I made 25 cents. In WinMiner, I apparently made a penny. Something about that seems wrong, since the estimates are lower but not 1/25th lower. Even though it's nice to dump the money dirctly into an Amazon gift card, it's simply not accumulating fast enough. I'll just have to mine NiceHash and hope I'll actually see the results someday. (What the hell?)

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 22, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

One guy sold his BTC at $15k and bought Bitcash at $9000 lol

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

craig588 posted:

The Bitcoin network has no sanity for costs. A guy spent 50,000 dollars to transfer 5 dollars because he messed up some fields.

Yeah but I'm asking the other way around. If I try to send $0.01 worth of BitCoin to someone else right now, will it actually trigger a transaction and waste the world's time and energy and drive transaction costs up higher, or will the network refuse the transaction because it can't even cover the fee?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Also someone at work casually walked up to me and was like Hey Zero, you're smart, are you into Cryptocurrency? What do you think of IOTA? It's fee-free and quantum-crack-proof.

I'm like dude I don't think anyone knows what is and isn't quantum-crack-proof right now, and don't go anywhere near that poo poo.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Zero VGS posted:

Also someone at work casually walked up to me and was like Hey Zero, you're smart, are you into Cryptocurrency? What do you think of IOTA? It's fee-free and quantum-crack-proof.

I'm like dude I don't think anyone knows what is and isn't quantum-crack-proof right now, and don't go anywhere near that poo poo.

quote:

:shepspends:
What wallet do you use?
How do I do that part?

:v:
No
I use exchanges and paper wallets
I mine coins to exchanges, they get paid out at roughly $100 usd. I convert that into ethereum and send it to a paper wallet. Once or twice a month I send all that to quadrigacx and exchange into cad and withdraw immediately
Crypto is the Wild West you can lose it all and have no recourse
I need to make a new wallet I have about $150-200 usd ready to convert and move again

Paper wallet?
Why loose it all?
Why do you need a new wallet?
Why don't you just hold it at coin base or quadrigacx ?

Check that out wow what a drop
Andrew Left Is Right About Bitcoin Investment Trust
The short seller points out that shorting Bitcoin Investment Trust at high prices is a smart move.
finance.yahoo.com

WED
Do you used coin base?

03:12
:v:
nope
leaving coins on exchanges means they can be stolen at any time

04:36
I got ripple
I just have to figure out how to transfer to a wallet
I used cex.io
Do you have a crypto capital account?

07:29
I bought $1000 worth of ripple

What wallet do you use to store your currency? Digital wallet or hard wallet? And if so which ones?
Thanks

:v: -> :stonk:
Myetherwallet. Paper
I leave nothing on exchanges

Paper?
How do you move from exchange to wallet?
Can you check if that wallet holds ripple?
How long does it take to move there?
Thanks im an amateur at this

:stonklol:
You need to google these things you’re missing a bunch of info

My ether is a paper wallet?

Yeah

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah but I'm asking the other way around. If I try to send $0.01 worth of BitCoin to someone else right now, will it actually trigger a transaction and waste the world's time and energy and drive transaction costs up higher, or will the network refuse the transaction because it can't even cover the fee?

The amount being transferred and the fee are separate things. You could absolutely send $0.01 worth of BTC if you were willing to pay whatever the going rate for a transaction fee is (~$90?). Why you would do this is another question entirely, but that the network allows it is how you end up with stories of idiots spending thousands to move piddly amounts because they transposed the transfer amount and transaction fee fields.

It's not like you say "I want to transfer $100, and $100 disappears from my account" and the network goes "Ok, cool, we're gonna take $90 of that as a fee so your recipient only gets $10."

It's more like "I want to transfer $100 and I'm willing to pay a $90 fee to make it happen reasonably fast, so $190 disappears from my account and $100 eventually ends up where I sent it."

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Uh, what is a paper wallet? To the layman like me it sounds like you're getting physical manifestation of digital currency as proof of ownership and sticking it into a wallet from Wal-Mart.

I mean the OP basically instructs you to use CoinBase and their iOS app was top of the store for like the past week so it's kind of hard to dismiss the vague smell of elitism in that post but I'll just go ahead and be the guy who asks and gets it out of the way.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
From context, I believe a paper wallet is a real bitcoin wallet, not a balance that some website says it owes you.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Doesn't that require downloading your own copy of the ginormous blockchain file? I remember one GBS "why Bitcoin sucks" thread talked about how the thing wasn't going to scale as that file became freakin' enormous, and I just assume these sites existed to host and handle it for you.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Craptacular! posted:

Doesn't that require downloading your own copy of the ginormous blockchain file? I remember one GBS "why Bitcoin sucks" thread talked about how the thing wasn't going to scale as that file became freakin' enormous, and I just assume these sites existed to host and handle it for you.

it's just the private key and public address associated. you only need to sync the buttchain to view current balances

by using a website or wallet software you're trusting those services to use free market maths and to not actually backdoor your key https://pastebin.com/jCDFcESz

the only way you handle your bitscoin is by solving the Byzantine generalist problem with a pencil and paper please avoid statist calculators

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I understand the OP dilutes the information required to the basics of push button to make fake money, but good god if you are going to invest, which I really don't want to call it that, in a fake internet currency you should have done even the slightly due diligence with regard to your actual money. The very first link from google https://www.coindesk.com/information/paper-wallet-tutorial/ explains some very basic concepts of what a blockchain wallet is (whether hardware or offline or online/exchange) and the association to a private key. Is it elitism, or aghast before blindly spending money on the currency of the future :monocle:

This is also after weeks of saying do not buy crypto, it is a gigantic ponzi scheme where only the people that gambled 1-4 years ago are now rich due to sheer luck. Bitcoin FOMO is very real.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So basically, decentralizing the gently caress out of everything. The Slackware Linux of mining. Got it.

Risky Bisquick posted:

I understand the OP dilutes the information required to the basics of push button to make fake money, but good god if you are going to invest, which I really don't want to call it that, in a fake internet currency you should have done even the slightly due diligence with regard to your actual money. The very first link from google https://www.coindesk.com/information/paper-wallet-tutorial/ explains some very basic concepts of what a blockchain wallet is (whether hardware or offline or online/exchange) and the association to a private key. Is it elitism, or aghast before blindly spending money on the currency of the future :monocle:

Sure. This thread is a combination of people who are sort of bemused spectators and the occasional person like you who, for whatever reason, decided to dive in and understand everything. There's a subculture here that not everyone's going to get.

I'm not saying your attitude toward the fool and his money isn't warranted, it's just hard to interpret if you don't actually want to bank hard on this poo poo and know how that works, and instead just refer to fake money as burritos.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 22, 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Craptacular! posted:

Uh, what is a paper wallet? To the layman like me it sounds like you're getting physical manifestation of digital currency as proof of ownership and sticking it into a wallet from Wal-Mart.

I mean the OP basically instructs you to use CoinBase and their iOS app was top of the store for like the past week so it's kind of hard to dismiss the vague smell of elitism in that post but I'll just go ahead and be the guy who asks and gets it out of the way.

It is just a print out of your address and private key. You delete all online records, so the only record of your private key is on the piece of paper.

Then you lose the piece of paper.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Risky Bisquick posted:

I understand the OP dilutes the information required to the basics of push button to make fake money, but good god if you are going to invest, which I really don't want to call it that, in a fake internet currency you should have done even the slightly due diligence with regard to your actual money.

Yeah, this was intended to be the burritos and guac thread but it's kind of turned into the non-shitposting cryptocurrency thread in general.

But as always, remember the first line in the OP. If you sink any money into this, you're a goddamned fool and we salute you for providing weeks of much-needed entertainment. Godspeed.

Craptacular! posted:

Cryptononsense changes so frequently that the OP was written barely half a year ago and 90% of it is already out of date. Coinbase just happened to be the least poo poo option at the time. If the least poo poo option has changed since, I'll update the OP.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Last time we had a massive backlog that cleared the price of buttcoin went up $10000

Fyi ;)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
That story of a acquaintance of mine aside, I'm considering running 80 extra amps to my garage in January for some deep learning :razz:

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

1gnoirents posted:

Last time we had a massive backlog that cleared the price of buttcoin went up $10000

Fyi ;)

same thing happened when ethereum cryptokitties clogged the fintech ssmrt contract network of the future

:thunk:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

What is the bottom so i can spend all my money?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Computer Serf posted:

same thing happened when ethereum cryptokitties clogged the fintech ssmrt contract network of the future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcGQpjCztgA

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Computer Serf posted:

poo poo you're right

I thought that was a joke but thats exactly when etheruem doubled

loving digital cats

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

1gnoirents posted:

poo poo you're right

I thought that was a joke but thats exactly when etheruem doubled

loving digital cats

How are you gentlemen

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

How are you gentlemen

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Bitcoin in freefall

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

If i were brave and had money id be buying a big chunk

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Buy it on margin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/938938539282190337

• Locked thread