Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Question about promotions:

I'm a GS-6 on a 5-6-7 ladder right now. I'm taking a new within-agency job that is a 6-7 ladder (same position). I will have 365 days as a GS-6 and be promoted to a GS-7 before I take the new job. I took the new job as a GS-6 because, obviously, I didn't have my time in grade, and was selected as a GS-6. Is this going to be an issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ask to talk to an HR rep about it. Promotions have a whole slew of weird rules.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Would you all mind sharing where in the world you guys are? Like, are most of you near DC? Are you all pretty spread out?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

N. Senada posted:

Would you all mind sharing where in the world you guys are? Like, are most of you near DC? Are you all pretty spread out?

Wisconsin.

It sounds like most everyone here is a gs, I'm a demo employee (good luck finding info on opm about it) which has it's own ups and downs but if the conceit is everyone hates the automatic step increases and raises, well demo fixes that without gutting pensions...

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 22, 2017

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
overseas

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Midwest capital city.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

DC

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Nebraska, GS Immigration

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Also in DC. Both my spouse and I work for the government, he has about a year and a half head start on me. Our plan was originally to move here from the south then find a transfer to where it’s a lot cheaper to live.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011
DC, but a full time teleworker.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
Denver, traveling to the surrounding 5 states

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Middle of nowhere, western state.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
DC

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

San Francisco

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I'm in Seattle but am a contractor so largely out of place here. I just lurk for the occasional clearance questions. Might be headed to DC for 16 weeks at the end of January however.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

IL

Slig
Mar 30, 2010
I spent three years in the DC area as a contractor waiting for the agency I was contracting with to hire me on. Their infinite wisdom decided to send me to Los Angeles but coming out of the academy I got a hardship transfer to NY to take care of my parents. Came on as a 9 in a 7/9/11/12/13 progression ladder and made my 11 this September.

For all the contractors out there hoping to go Fed. Keep the dream alive and hope you can afford to take the pay cut when you finally get the offer.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
O-H.

PneumonicBook posted:

It sounds like most everyone here is a gs, I'm a demo employee (good luck finding info on ppl about it) which has it's own ups and downs but if the conceit is everyone hates the automatic step increases and raises, well demo fixes that without gutting pensions...

AcqDemo? I might have a few questions for you later if so.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Max Peck posted:

O-H.

AcqDemo? I might have a few questions for you later if so.

I'm not familiar with acq but I might just be ignorant. It's always just referred to as Demo. To clarify I'm under a payband, and compete with other demo employees directly for a yearly raise. Not sure if that helps. Designators are NT for engineering technicians, ND for scientists or engineers, and there's another for admin types but I can never remember it.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 22, 2017

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

PneumonicBook posted:

I'm not familiar with acq but I might just be ignorant. It's always just referred to as Demo. To clarify I'm under a payband, and compete with other demo employees directly for a yearly raise. Not sure if that helps. Designators are NT for engineering technicians, ND for scientists or engineers, and there's another for admin types but I can never remember it.

That sounds like a different but similar system--AcqDemo paths are NH (professional), NJ (technician), and NK (admin support), but it's similarly paybanded.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
2018 GS pay scale is up

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/salaries-wages/2018/general-schedule/

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Woo extra $1207 per year.

It ain't much, but it helps.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Portland, OR, just hit g-8, woo. Can't wait for some actual positions to open up in this city. Should only be a few more years.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

My kids' daycare tuition is increasing over 5% for 2018, so that's where my extra pay is going.

Five years to go until they're done. :argh:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
There's not going to be a government to hire me, is there.

Slig
Mar 30, 2010
The process is often long enough that there might be a new administration before you get in.

Just Dont Look
Nov 6, 2007

Perhaps thou shalt dain to sup on the meaty sustenance of my loins.
Late to the party, but I spent 12 years in Korea and moved to Hawaii about a year ago.

AmishSpecialForces
Jul 1, 2008

N. Senada posted:

Kansas City, MO. Big SSA processing center. Seems like the only Fed employers here are SSA and IRS. The tax boys and girls have their very own Orwellian looking fortress while I work in... well, an Orwellian/Soviet looking fortress like rectangle.

AmishSpecialForces fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 27, 2017

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
USCIS has a huge facility right outside Kansas City too, for records storage and field office support

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

So I've recently started applying to stuff on USAJOBS, mostly GS 6 and under things in the departments of Agriculture and the Interior, things like Park Guide, Biological Science Aid, Survey Aid, etc. They're almost all temporary 6-month positions. I'm curious about the application timeline on these things. I've always heard that the hiring process for government jobs take forever, but is that true even for more short-term stuff? Some of the applications say they expect to make a decision within 40 days of the closing date. Well, 40 days has come and gone since the closing date on those and I haven't heard anything, although they are still in my active applications. Others say the positions start in April/May, but the majority of them don't give any info about start dates. I know job-hunting can take a while, but it's discouraging looking at the applications that list me as "Best Qualified" yet still hearing absolutely nothing. Although, I imagine Thanksgiving/Xmas season probably delays things a bit.

Also, should I be doing a cover letter for these things? None of them have mentioned submitting one, but I guess I could if I wanted to. I know it wouldn't hurt, but what is the likelihood of someone actually reading an optional cover letter for like a GS 2-3 position?

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Wassup future DOI bro/brah :hfive:

Temp positions in DOI and FS are exempted service, so hiring doesn't take nearly as long. It's fairly easy to get someone in and working. Odds are if they say they want to make a decision within 40 days and it's been 40 days, you should start looking elsewhere. That being said, it's still fairly early in the hiring period where we land management goons like to get our seasonals. Being still active in your applications means very little, as does being best qualified. You do not need a cover letter.

Keep in mind that a lot of the NPS jobs are extremely competitive, even for temps. They're cool jobs that everyone wants. If you want a temp job, I would highly suggest you apply to every single posting you see. Even if you get stuck in a shithole for a season, you'll be far more competitive for good locations next year with a season of federal experience under your belt.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

sparkmaster posted:

Wassup future DOI bro/brah :hfive:

Temp positions in DOI and FS are exempted service, so hiring doesn't take nearly as long. It's fairly easy to get someone in and working. Odds are if they say they want to make a decision within 40 days and it's been 40 days, you should start looking elsewhere. That being said, it's still fairly early in the hiring period where we land management goons like to get our seasonals. Being still active in your applications means very little, as does being best qualified. You do not need a cover letter.

Keep in mind that a lot of the NPS jobs are extremely competitive, even for temps. They're cool jobs that everyone wants. If you want a temp job, I would highly suggest you apply to every single posting you see. Even if you get stuck in a shithole for a season, you'll be far more competitive for good locations next year with a season of federal experience under your belt.

Yeah, I figured these things are pretty competitive. Despite the low pay, most of the jobs sound like I would genuinely enjoy doing them. And yeah, I set up a job search thing and have been applying to pretty much everything on it. I’m willing to live basically anywhere if it’s just for 6 months or a year or whatever. It sucks that I haven’t heard anything yet, but I suppose getting your foot in the door is the hardest part. I guess I’ll just keep applying and work on getting more relevant experience in the meantime.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
I'd say a good 70% of temporary job postings in the land management agencies have some sort of government housing available. Isn't luxurious, but it's cheap and livable. Just having any temp experience, even if its not in a position you want to do long term, is going to help you. I think you can catch on someplace doing something. Good luck!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Wooooo!

Oh anyway I am in...

...Have I already said where I am in this thread

Ugh whatever

NEW ENGLAND OK though I have yet another interview next week in my everlasting quest to escape this job, an interview that as always I am going to feel I aced yet that will nonetheless not lead to a job, wish me predictability

Beerdeer posted:

USCIS has a huge facility right outside Kansas City too, for records storage and field office support
They actually have TWO huge facilities outside Kansas City! The records storage facility sounds alternately like where they put the Ark of the Covenant and like the world's most boring warehouse depending on who is describing it.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I have kind of a dumb question. How am I in a major metropolitan area (three million plus people), yet there are at most usually 1-2 government job postings a day, and they're all like airforce radar technician, nurse at the VA, and other militaryish things? There’s a fair bit of VA medical stuff, but you can’t exactly do that without a healthcare background.

I'm being serious, I think I'm screwing something up, because I have to assume there are more federal jobs than that in a three million person area.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 8, 2018

Slig
Mar 30, 2010
The constant continuing resolutions have thrown off the usual federal hiring cycle. If i recall, they can only fill spots already on their task order and not create new positions. This depends on people vacating those existing positions. One of the most common ways would be retirement, then existing employees can move up and create lower grade positions that get external advertising.

That said a lot of places have been hit with cuts to their open positions because you can't maintain the same cost with the same number of people when they get nearly guaranteed yearly promotions and pay increases. I work in the New York metro area and our division ended up having to kill a lot of open positions in two of our three core series that would have otherwise been available to entry level and non federal employees.

It blows my mind that we still do recruiting fairs for one of those job series when all of the vacancies have been indefinitely cancelled and moved off our task order.

TL;DR: Pray for congress to pass a real budget and you might see more openings.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Apparently USDA is cutting their telework program drastically: https://www.ocio.usda.gov/sites/default/files/docs/2012/DR%204080-811-002_Telework%20Program.pdf

From someone who currently works there:

quote:

In addition to this new Directive that was slammed on us, there was a subsequent "expedited" directive review process which obviously allowed this to be published and enforced with little or no comment. Congress passed laws requiring increased telework in all agencies which are the basis of all this. In the first part of the directive they say, yeah we know there are benefits etc. to telework but basically not if it affects the efficiency of the work etc. In our group, many people are already remote in another city from our DC office and we work in a local office. All of our meetings contacts work assignments etc. are done remotely. Adding 3 hours in commutes daily several days, increased parking costs, pollution, adding to traffic congestion, etc. were all part of the reason for legislation and subsequent legislation to require reluctant agencies to participate. (H.R. 1722 (111th): Telework Enhancement Act of 2010).

The rules as they were flexible for various situations. If there are people negatively affected by other teleworking this is a MANGAGEMENT issue and all others should not be punished for this. Going into the office 4 days a week (which this new directive requires) for our group doesn't do squat, our work goes on regardless. I already heard of one person working remotely who lives 5 hrs out from the office will have to try to move to accommodate. This person a highly skilled person, was recruited and hired from another job where it was 100% telecommute. Congress also needs to hear about this because it flies in the face of what they have been doing with this. I agree Wash Post and Gov Exec and other outlets need to report on this it was done very heavy-handedly and without input from thousands of employees. This was doen as a part of a 'ONEUSDA' initiave.

I don't work for USDA, but the office that I work for also heavily expanded telework under the past administration. I think my agency stopped leasing at least two DC office buildings due to allowing people up to 80% telework, which allowed cubicles to be shared between three people a week. The actual HQ building is more of a hoteling structure, where its a free for all for a desk and you have your portable file cabinet. If they somehow pulled something like this off in my agency, a lot of people would quit. We already are having a lot of people leave due to our Secretary.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Midge the Jet posted:

Apparently USDA is cutting their telework program drastically: https://www.ocio.usda.gov/sites/default/files/docs/2012/DR%204080-811-002_Telework%20Program.pdf

From someone who currently works there:

I don't work for USDA, but the office that I work for also heavily expanded telework under the past administration. I think my agency stopped leasing at least two DC office buildings due to allowing people up to 80% telework, which allowed cubicles to be shared between three people a week. The actual HQ building is more of a hoteling structure, where its a free for all for a desk and you have your portable file cabinet. If they somehow pulled something like this off in my agency, a lot of people would quit. We already are having a lot of people leave due to our Secretary.

I can telework when it snows...

The negative stigma that teleworking gets is frustrating, I've got an hour commute one way and I really only need to be at my job site 2 or 3 days a week but if I ever tried to do that I don't think it would work out favorably for me.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
as a usda employee that teleworks/travels 100% of the time, lmao

I'm hoping this line is what saves me:

When telework is used to address space availability restrictions, such as in the use of
hoteling or desk sharing, a Mission Area, agency, or staff office head may approve
telework exceeding 2 days a pay period on a case-by-case basis.

since the nearest office to me is over an hour a way and afaik has no free space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

I can telework when it snows...

The negative stigma that teleworking gets is frustrating, I've got an hour commute one way and I really only need to be at my job site 2 or 3 days a week but if I ever tried to do that I don't think it would work out favorably for me.

Yeah, I used to have to commute everyday from 50 miles away unless there was inclement weather. I took the train, but it still is about 90 minutes each way. The job itself really had no reason to be in the office, as everything was doable remotely. As soon as I could, I transferred out of that agency for a job that said during the interview that they offered 80% telework. I put in for the max amount of once I passed the 90-day mark and vowed not to change jobs again unless it was close to my home or we both were able to move elsewhere.