Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There Bias Two posted:

1/3rd butter? That is insane.

Insanely delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

There Bias Two posted:

sorry about your sad underbuttered mash taters

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I'd like to use more butter in my mashed sweet potato casserole (a whole stick instead of a half stick). Would this cause separation or make the sweet potatoes too loose?

I use 1 stick to 3 sweet potatoes, a splash of cream, very light touch of cinnamon and a heaping tablespoon of brown sugar. salt+pepper to taste

There Bias Two posted:

Chef John showed a 1:3 recipe as follows:

Ingredients for 8 portions:
3 1/4 pounds russet potatoes (3 or 4)
Note: this will not work with red potatoes, as they are too waxy
1 pound unsalted butter
1/4 cup hot milk
salt and pepper to taste

That's 1/2 a stick of butter per serving :btroll:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

exquisite tea posted:

Cooking with duck... some recipes I've read say to start the breast skin-side down in a cold pan so that more fat renders out, others are adamant about starting on high heat to get the best sear. Does it really make a difference?
You'll get a fine sear with low, long, and skin-side down. I think that's the (non-s-v) method Keller recommends, for example.

Is the source recommending a high heat sear doing something fancy (e.g. bagging and then puddling) after the initial sear? Duck's pretty resilient because of all the fat but if you're starting out with high heat and keeping it there you're going to have a hell of a time getting it evenly cooked without loving something up.

There Bias Two posted:

Check out pomme purée sometime. They're usually something like only 50% potato. And that's before you crack a runny poached egg into the middle of 'em.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Bob Morales posted:

Chef John showed a 1:3 recipe as follows:

Ingredients for 8 portions:
3 1/4 pounds russet potatoes (3 or 4)
Note: this will not work with red potatoes, as they are too waxy
1 pound unsalted butter
1/4 cup hot milk
salt and pepper to taste

That's 1/2 a stick of butter per serving :btroll:
That's assuming "a serving" is over half a pound of food, just for a side

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SubG posted:

You'll get a fine sear with low, long, and skin-side down. I think that's the (non-s-v) method Keller recommends, for example.

Is the source recommending a high heat sear doing something fancy (e.g. bagging and then puddling) after the initial sear? Duck's pretty resilient because of all the fat but if you're starting out with high heat and keeping it there you're going to have a hell of a time getting it evenly cooked without loving something up.

I think this particular recipe started the duck breast skin-side down on high heat and then finished it in the oven.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I think this particular recipe started the duck breast skin-side down on high heat and then finished it in the oven.
If you're going to start it in a pan and finish in the oven I'd definitely go with lower heat for longer time. Score the skin well and keep draining (and for gently caress's sake reserving) the fat as it renders and you'll get the skin just as brown and crisp as you would from a high-heat sear, with the added benefit of a more even final product.

Not to say doing it the other way would be a disaster or anything---I've never done it myself that way, but duck is pretty loving forgiving for poultry. I mean where I come from ducks have two breasts so I guess you could try one either way and report back with an a-b test. But if you're just asking for advice I'd go with the lower heat. I'm about 90% sure there's a (more than) complete method for this approach in I think Ad Hoc at Home, if you're looking for more information/instruction.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I’ve always started duck breasts in a cold pan and put the heat to medium and they turn out excellent. As Subg said, make sure the skin is scored to render out all the fat. The skin should go crispy and the meat be medium rare. I give mine 7-8 mins skin side down then 2-5 mins on the other side depending on thickness and how done you want them. You’d be amazed how quickly the fat starts rendering out in a pan started from cold.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Has anyone had any luck with ceramic-lined skillets?

I mostly use 10” skillets, but occasionally need a 12” one (like when pan-frying hamburgers because it’s either raining or like 40 degrees out so the grill is out). My philosophy is to buy pans that I won’t feel bad about having to replace every couple years. My go-to brand has been Oneida, because they have heavy bottoms that work quite well with my induction range.

So my last 12” skillet gave up the ghost, so it was time to replace it. Went to Bed, Bath and Beyond (the only practical alternative is Williams-Sonoma), but they only had 2 12” pans that were induction ready. One was ceramic lined pan for $90. My past experience with ceramic pans has been extremely negative. I bought one of the red ones with white lining, and it was poo poo. Another one with a bluish lining was also poo poo. Like, couldn’t handle an over-easy egg on their third use poo poo.

I was about to walk out with the ceramic, when I decided to check the reviews - they were almost all either 5 stars or 1 star. The 1-star reviews mirrored my own experience.

I ended up with an All-Clad hard-anodized pan which cost $10 less than the ceramic, but it left me wondering - am I the only one who has not had any good experiences with ceramic-lined pans?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I bought my first jar of Manuka honey (from Trader Joe's) and I'm hooked. Is there a more economical choice (of Manuka) that is just as tasty and organic/sustainably produced?

I just got hooked on Kombucha and the last thing I need is yet another money pit. drat it!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

theHUNGERian posted:

I bought my first jar of Manuka honey (from Trader Joe's) and I'm hooked. Is there a more economical choice (of Manuka) that is just as tasty and organic/sustainably produced?

I just got hooked on Kombucha and the last thing I need is yet another money pit. drat it!

Well it is a niche product and real Manuka honey is only produced in New Zealand or a bit of Australia, so yeah, it's going to be pricey. I mean even here in Australia it's twice as expensive than other honeys on average and we make the stuff.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Helith posted:

Well it is a niche product and real Manuka honey is only produced in New Zealand or a bit of Australia, so yeah, it's going to be pricey. I mean even here in Australia it's twice as expensive than other honeys on average and we make the stuff.

Yeah I figured. I couldn't find anything significantly cheaper on Amazon, but I wanted to ask the GWS experts. I guess I'll just cut it 2:1, Mesquite:Manuka.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

LongSack posted:

am I the only one who has not had any good experiences with ceramic-lined pans?

Definitely not. There have been several posters who had bad things to say about them. They're great for the first few uses and then garbage after a few washes.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Girlfriend sent me this recipe: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/164631/tender-duck-and-pineapple-red-curry

Probably gonna replace the pineapple with lychees but that sounds good to me, we can part out the bird and use the legs for this curry, keep the breasts for another day, and at that point I guess we'll have some wings and a carcass that I'm not quite sure what to do with all on their own. Or am I vastly overestimating the amount of meat on a duck leg?

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Dec 22, 2017

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

LongSack posted:

- am I the only one who has not had any good experiences with ceramic-lined pans?

My experience was the same as yours. They don't even sell them around here anymore. The new gimmick is copper colored.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

ceramic-lined dutch ovens are pretty good, but still hot garbage cleaning-wise because ceramic stains.

Steve Yun posted:

Ceramic on cast iron? Not enamel?
:downs:

Elizabethan Error fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 23, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ceramic on cast iron? Not enamel?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Any recommendations for Christmas time meatballs? Christmas Eve at my family is typically "grazing food". My grandma used to make meatballs every Eve, and we haven't had them in a while; whatever recipe she used is lost to time.

As a bonus, my sister would always throw up a few hours after eating them (which never stopped get) and I would love to get her that gift again.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Any recommendations for Christmas time meatballs? Christmas Eve at my family is typically "grazing food". My grandma used to make meatballs every Eve, and we haven't had them in a while; whatever recipe she used is lost to time.

As a bonus, my sister would always throw up a few hours after eating them (which never stopped get) and I would love to get her that gift again.

What sort of meatballs do you have in mind? Swedish? Italian?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

There Bias Two posted:

What sort of meatballs do you have in mind? Swedish? Italian?

:shrug: I'm honestly not sure what the differences are. The ones grandma made were in the slow cooker and had a thicker sauce, probably based on bbq.

I'm ok with suggestions of different styles and I can just pick from them.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You may be looking for something like this which I cannot confirm or deny if it's good.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Manuel Calavera posted:

You may be looking for something like this which I cannot confirm or deny if it's good.

This is probably pretty similar to what she used, likely without the "chili sauce". No flavor allowed in the Midwest.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So I got a NY Strip for my Christmas dinner, and I have a broiler pan.

What's the best way to use those two broiling in the oven?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

This is probably pretty similar to what she used, likely without the "chili sauce". No flavor allowed in the Midwest.

Chili sauce is just slightly less sweet ketchup. No capsicums.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.
I'm cooking some chicken breasts for lunches at work. They'll be reheated, but what's the best way to avoid absolutely killing them in the microwave? I'm thinking sous vide at a lower temp for slightly longer, then including some kind of sauce to keep moisture up. I know microwaving is going to dry them out to some degree regardless, just looking for advice on how to make this less-bad.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

moller posted:

Chili sauce is just slightly less sweet ketchup. No capsicums.

Probably still too much for most midwesterners. My wife's family complains that black pepper is too spicy. Some of them literally won't eat anything red that isn't ketchup, because it might be spicy, not even red bell peppers.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Spoiled meat?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

wormil posted:

Spoiled meat?

Nah, they just never agreed with her but she liked them too much to not eat.

Edit: Unless that was your suggestion. I'll consider it.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

wormil posted:

Probably still too much for most midwesterners. My wife's family complains that black pepper is too spicy. Some of them literally won't eat anything red that isn't ketchup, because it might be spicy, not even red bell peppers.

While I get where you're coming from, this is a super common dish throughout the Midwest. It's everywhere and I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if it's the one you're remembering.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Yes, those meatballs with the sauce that's half jam and half chilisauce/ketchup/BBQ are a boring white people food classic. I would almost bet that's the nostalgic recipe the poster seeks.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Jam and BBQ sauce...? What the hell?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

There Bias Two posted:

Jam and BBQ sauce...? What the hell?

OH NO SWEET AND SOUR AND TANGY FLAVORS....IN MY MOUTH? AT THE SAME TIME?!?!?

*CLUTCHES PEARLS*

:pusheen:

Goddamn you guys can be loving terrible food snobs. It's not the pinnacle of cuisine but I don't get how a ball of meat with a sweet and sour and tangy flavor combo is so offensive that it garners a "What the hell?". I guarantee y'all would be slobbering over the cook's knob if they added raisins and served it on pilaf and called it Moroccan. :rolleyes:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's nothing but lovely sugar

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
If anyone really wants their delicate gourmand sensibilities tweaked, I've also seen it done with cocktail weenies instead of meatballs. It's your basic church potluck appetizer, like deviled eggs, the store-bought crudite platter, and a cheese ball with crackers.

Although liking it so much that you're willing to endure guaranteed gastric distress is pretty hardcore.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Discussion Quorum posted:

If anyone really wants their delicate gourmand sensibilities tweaked, I've also seen it done with cocktail weenies instead of meatballs. It's your basic church potluck appetizer, like deviled eggs, the store-bought crudite platter, and a cheese ball with crackers.

Although liking it so much that you're willing to endure guaranteed gastric distress is pretty hardcore.

trashy American cocktail food owns, I love it

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

DasNeonLicht posted:

trashy American cocktail food owns, I love it

:yeah:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Just lol if you have an actual sit-down dinner on Christmas Eve.

This recipe sure smells exactly like the ones grandma made. I don't think her's had onions which might cause a problem with my picky sister. More for the rest of us.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 24, 2017

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

It's nothing but lovely sugar

Not to defend this dish too much, but the idea is that the spiced rendered beef fat forms an emulsion with the sugary sauce.

It also is emblematic of post-war American home cooking in that it's a combination of shelf stable staples that people likely had in their pantry already.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I have a ceramic pan for eggs. It stays on the stovetop and is only ever touched by eggs, a soft silicone spat, water and a sponge. It gets replaced every 6 months or so.

I really like over medium eggs.

So it's basically a delicate single use gadget.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
Does anyone have an opinion on Penzey's spices? Pretty good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Jikes posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on Penzey's spices? Pretty good?
Penzey's spices pretty good, yes.