Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Indecisive posted:

poo poo being dead owns i guess, where do i sign up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Magnus Manfist posted:

Hold up I don't know anything about medicine or first aid but do you not do cpr if the person's stopped breathing, even if there's a pulse?

If they have a pulse but not breathing, yes you breathe for them, just dont do compressions.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Magnus Manfist posted:

Hold up I don't know anything about medicine or first aid but do you not do cpr if the person's stopped breathing, even if there's a pulse?

Rescue breathing is not CPR. CPR is the combination of rescue breathing and chest compressions.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

nvm

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Magnus Manfist posted:

If they have no pulse, you do CPR which is short for CardioPulmnoary Resuscitation. You breathe into their mouth every 30 compressions to keep oxygen flowing, but the compressions are what are important. They are literally your attempts to kickstart the heart and get it going again.

Rescue Breathing is when you just do the breathing because the heart itself is still going.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/deanna_havas/status/943706977498169346

https://twitter.com/ejcx_/status/943578435879948288

Memento has a new favorite as of 01:11 on Dec 22, 2017

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Memento posted:

Yeah we take education about wildlife pretty seriously. There's an episode of Peppa Pig where she makes friends with a spider that was withdrawn from broadcast here, because making friends with a spider in the UK is a very different proposition to making friends with a spider in Australia.

Mr. Skinny Legs is a saint you god damned monsters.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
The English are so cute with their badgers and hornets.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
All this talk of dangerous animals and no one mentions mimics?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

DandyLion posted:

Well, you mean unless they've marked that they're an organ donor :wink:

:fuckoff: That poo poo isn't even funny to joke about.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Choco1980 posted:

Paramedics also have the cure for cancer but if they use it they don’t get that sweet ambulance money for new tires and gas.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Choco1980 posted:

Yes it is.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Choco1980 posted:

yeah i thought it was pretty funny

hth

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

mind the walrus posted:

If they have no pulse, you do CPR which is short for CardioPulmnoary Resuscitation. You breathe into their mouth every 30 compressions to keep oxygen flowing, but the compressions are what are important. They are literally your attempts to kickstart the heart and get it going again.

Rescue Breathing is when you just do the breathing because the heart itself is still going.

wrong

CPR will not restart your heart neither will a defibrillator. The only things that will restart a stopped heart are at the hospital, and even then you have a 25% or so chance of living.

CPR is squeezing the heart to keep your blood circulating and oxygen flowing to your organs. That’s why most of the time if you learn cpr these days they teach compression only.

Still go take a cpr class you could save a life someday.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
a defibrillator can restore normal electrical rhythm and thus circulation if the heart is otherwise ok

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

everydayfalls posted:

GO TAKE A CPR CLASS YOU COULD SAVE A LIFE SOMEDAY.

Amen, friend.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Defibrillators are for when you're fibrillating

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

everydayfalls posted:

wrong

CPR will not restart your heart neither will a defibrillator. The only things that will restart a stopped heart are at the hospital, and even then you have a 25% or so chance of living.

CPR is squeezing the heart to keep your blood circulating and oxygen flowing to your organs. That’s why most of the time if you learn cpr these days they teach compression only.

Still go take a cpr class you could save a life someday.

This is quite false. There are many reasons a person loses a pulse. If they have just suddenly gotten low on oxygen because of copd or some lung problem and it cause their heart to go into PEA and you get on them quickly with cpr there’s a solid chance their heart will snap out of it. If it is an arrhythmia due to a heart attack or drugs, the AED on the wall of the restaurant or airport has a very solid chance of popping them out of it in conjunction with cpr. CPR and AEDs save lives.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Who What Now posted:

Or in v tach.

Everyone should take cpr, yes. Although simply doing compressions is good enough, and they way that the AHA is heading for non medical people. Just push hard and fast (100-120 times per minute) on the chest until medics arrive to give meds and definitely if necessary.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Or in v tach.

Everyone should take cpr, yes. Although simply doing compressions is good enough, and they way that the AHA is heading for non medical people. Just push hard and fast (100-120 times per minute) on the chest until medics arrive to give meds and definitely if necessary.

Plus, if you're not doing it hard enough to crack ribs, then you're not doing it hard enoughl

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Shaddak posted:

Plus, if you're not doing it hard enough to crack ribs, then you're not doing it hard enoughl

hmmm, let me thi k about this one for a moment.

im going to go with Thats What She Said

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If you don't leave a smooshy mangled mass of cracked ribs, simultaneously punctured and over inflated lungs, and enough of your own spit all over their face that they look like they took a shower then you're not doing CPR correctly.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Blind Rasputin posted:

This is quite false. There are many reasons a person loses a pulse. If they have just suddenly gotten low on oxygen because of copd or some lung problem and it cause their heart to go into PEA and you get on them quickly with cpr there’s a solid chance their heart will snap out of it. If it is an arrhythmia due to a heart attack or drugs, the AED on the wall of the restaurant or airport has a very solid chance of popping them out of it in conjunction with cpr. CPR and AEDs save lives.

If the heart is stopped(asystole) aint nothing you are going to do to bring that pulse back.

Next time I will be a bigger pendant here in the funny picture thread.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I did a guide on how to use the AED machines we have around the building at work and I asked one of the trained guys there about giving CPR and how often you do the compressions and he said "every beep", which surprised me as to how rapid that was. After having a short stint on the dummy I said it must be really tiring and he told me how him and one or two other guys took turns doing it to someone on a bus once until help could arrive. It must be crazy to not only have to keep up that effort for so long, but to also know that if you don't that person will die. Much respect.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Gromit posted:

I did a guide on how to use the AED machines we have around the building at work and I asked one of the trained guys there about giving CPR and how often you do the compressions and he said "every beep", which surprised me as to how rapid that was. After having a short stint on the dummy I said it must be really tiring and he told me how him and one or two other guys took turns doing it to someone on a bus once until help could arrive. It must be crazy to not only have to keep up that effort for so long, but to also know that if you don't that person will die. Much respect.

If t makes you feel any better, they’re probably gonna die anyways. My fire department has double the national average for save percentages in CPR. And we are at 8%.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gromit posted:

EDIT: Jesus. I forgot what thread I was in. Sorry all.

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 05:28 on Dec 22, 2017

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Proteus Jones posted:

It's a bone deep weariness that never leaves you, made up of hopelessness and PTSD.

I am now sad because of the Funny Pictures thread.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Memento posted:

I am now sad because of the Funny Pictures thread.

gently caress. I'm sorry man. I totally lost track of what thread I was in. I didn't mean to bring it down.

Here. Have something horrifying funny.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shaddak posted:

This is why I won't do compressions. Because it probably won't work, they'll be dead, and now my ribs are cracked.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Or in v tach.

V tach just kicked in, yo

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I've done a few CPR courses and the first one I did had this lovely old guy who taught us to do it to the beat of Stayin' Alive. Next time was this grumpy ex-army guy who told us to do it to the beat of Another One Bites the Dust.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I tried doing it to DragonForce's Revolution Deathsquad and their head exploded :(

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

everydayfalls posted:

If the heart is stopped(asystole) aint nothing you are going to do to bring that pulse back.

:wrong: Asystole is a very correctable rhythm, you just don't "shock" asystole. I've personally gotten pulses back on someone who was in asystole.

Who What Now posted:

And in SVT, V-Tach...

everydayfalls posted:

Um, yes, they both can. I've witnessed one round of CPR get someone going again. No AED, defibrillation, epi, nothing. Just took a good 2-3 minutes of compressions. Also, my service had a out-of-hospital ROSC (return of spontanious circulation) rate of close to 9% which is insane.

everydayfalls posted:

CPR is squeezing the heart to keep your blood circulating and oxygen flowing to your organs.

The only thing in that whole dumb post that was correct, but all we care about is the brain, honestly. I don't give a poo poo about your liver getting blood circulated to it.

Choco1980 posted:

Yes it is.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

bike tory posted:

I've done a few CPR courses and the first one I did had this lovely old guy who taught us to do it to the beat of Stayin' Alive. Next time was this grumpy ex-army guy who told us to do it to the beat of Another One Bites the Dust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmb1tqYqyII

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Tiny Lowtax posted:

If t makes you feel any better, they’re probably gonna die anyways. My fire department has double the national average for save percentages in CPR. And we are at 8%.

Well I guess that does? But it also reminds me that I hate the weak-as-hell CPR they do in movies. I understand that something that looks real would be impossible to do on an actor safely, so use special effects drat it! One day I want to see a film show how it is really done.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Heh, that's funny.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Inescapable Duck posted:

I actually did some research, and according to the Australian coroner's office, the animal involved in the most fatalities in Australia, by far, is horses. Like, almost half, I vaguely recall. I think dogs are one of the next most significant causes, and sharks are on par with bees. Kangaroos also cause a significant amount, mostly from car accidents.

So in Australia even horses are venomous...

With so many conflicting arguments in this thread, no wonder the general public performs CPR and mouth to mouth on victims who not only have a pulse and breathe normally but are sometimes conscious too.

Doctor Malaver has a new favorite as of 08:28 on Dec 22, 2017

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Gromit posted:

Well I guess that does? But it also reminds me that I hate the weak-as-hell CPR they do in movies. I understand that something that looks real would be impossible to do on an actor safely, so use special effects drat it! One day I want to see a film show how it is really done.

Arrested development did it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.