Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Zuul the Cat posted:

Maybe not 1 of the 2. If it's loyalist and they don't have a model yet, that's what - Lion, Sanguinius, Khan & Dorn? I'm betting Lion and Khan.

Lion, Sanguinus, and Khan are the only three Primarchs without FW models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Technowolf posted:

Lion, Sanguinus, and Khan are the only three Primarchs without FW models.

Dorn and Alpharius don't count?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Lion's not a bad bet considering the fluff in the new codex says he's fully healed and just waiting for the right moment to come back and gently caress poo poo up

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Pendent posted:

Dorn and Alpharius don't count?

They at least have rules.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Fluff question since I never paid any attention to the Dark Angels years ago: what exactly is the whole "Dark Angels secret" that gets so many memes and lovely nerd jokes

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

goose willis posted:

Fluff question since I never paid any attention to the Dark Angels years ago: what exactly is the whole "Dark Angels secret" that gets so many memes and lovely nerd jokes

Half the Dark Angels went Chaos during the Heresy, and there's still a bunch of them kicking around.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

goose willis posted:

Their fluff secret is that half of their legion fell to chaos I think. That's where the fallen come in. The joke is that their whole chapter and primarch is based on the poet Lionell Johnson who wrote a book I believe was called "Dark Angel" about secretly being gay.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

That seems kind of underwhelming I thought it would be something more outlandish but OK

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
The whole DA thing was a lot more impactful before the HH books revealed that a whole bunch of loyalists went traitor, or Blackshield.

Kinda makes them look like they're over-reacting hardcore.

Moreso, I mean.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SteelMentor posted:

The whole DA thing was a lot more impactful before the HH books revealed that a whole bunch of loyalists went traitor, or Blackshield.

Moreso, I mean.

It's a big deal in the novels that there were loyalist members of every traitor legion, and traitor members of every loyalist legion. The first Grey Knights were an amalgamation of the loyalist members of traitor legions that reached Terra, with the Death Guard and Iron Warriors representing the most substantial contingents so far in the novels.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Hell the books even have the Nemean Reaver, a former Dark Angel who went Blackshield then gets recruited into the Knights Errant.

GW should have really rethought the DA's backstory through.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

I played a game today at a local store and the store owner told my opponent and me that we were using "too much terrain." I mentioned that having plenty of line of sight blocking terrain lessened the first-turn advantage and made the game more balanced. He said that having lots of terrain was against the rules, and that if we wanted to play in a "serious" way we should have very few pieces of terrain on the table.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Anybody need a Magnus? I got him for a buddy who won't actually be starting the game, let alone a TS army.

Hey, I'm starting a TS army!

(not shown, heads and torsos from ForgeWorld)

I even have an objective marker!

Two Beans fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 22, 2017

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

SteelMentor posted:

Moreso, I mean.

Exactly, it used to be that the legions all went chaos or stayed loyal.

To be honest I like the alt theory that Luther stayed loyal and that the “good” DA were killed to keep quiet only because it doesn’t make sense otherwise.

I mean, a huge chunk of White Scars tried to turn, and ended up getting their asses kicked by the Khan- you don’t see them getting all broody.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

SteelMentor posted:

Hell the books even have the Nemean Reaver, a former Dark Angel who went Blackshield then gets recruited into the Knights Errant.

GW should have really rethought the DA's backstory through.

It's a scale thing. Luther had a full strength legion that he'd recruited turn with him. Not a few guys here and there. Anyway, to an extent they have. In addition to their shame the DA have:

Secretly ignored the command to break the legion, which is grounds for them to be wiped out.

Maintained, and continued to use, an arsenal of prohibited Dark Age weapons (granted, with the Emperor's pre-Heresy blessing).

Appear to secretly hold their own STC manufacturing set up for gear like jetbikes, Terminator suits, and plasma weapons.

OhDearGodNo posted:

To be honest I like the alt theory that Luther stayed loyal and that the “good” DA were killed to keep quiet only because it doesn’t make sense otherwise.

It's canonically not true though.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 22, 2017

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Gilgameshback posted:

I played a game today at a local store and the store owner told my opponent and me that we were using "too much terrain." I mentioned that having plenty of line of sight blocking terrain lessened the first-turn advantage and made the game more balanced. He said that having lots of terrain was against the rules, and that if we wanted to play in a "serious" way we should have very few pieces of terrain on the table.

I can sort of see wanting you to use less terain if there's a limited amount and other players might need it but that's totally bizarre. Was this an actual GW store?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Well yeah, it is now.

Before though that was always the more interesting possibility and fit in with the dark angels going to such extreme and team killy lengths to keep details hidden.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The reason Dark Angels treat it like such a big deal is that to the Ministorum and the Imperial Bureaucracy at large there were no traitor Dark Angels.

It's still a hilarious overreaction.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Two Beans posted:

Hey, I'm starting a TS army!

im the four books needed to play

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Pendent posted:

I can sort of see wanting you to use less terain if there's a limited amount and other players might need it but that's totally bizarre. Was this an actual GW store?

No, just a comics and games store. We were the only ones in the store - no competition for tables.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Gilgameshback posted:

if we wanted to play in a "serious" way we should have very few pieces of terrain on the table

I bet that fuckboy had an army relying on first turn charges

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
im the sexy box of skulls

DanoTuka
Apr 8, 2015

goose willis posted:

I bet that fuckboy had an army relying on first turn charges

This is my guess as well, he was just grooming you for the inevitable full blown cheese when you play him.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Artum posted:

Well yeah, it is now.

Before though that was always the more interesting possibility and fit in with the dark angels going to such extreme and team killy lengths to keep details hidden.

I honestly always thought that theory was the obvious, boring one. Maybe I'd have liked it more if Gav Thorpe weren't a hack fraud.

Strobe posted:

The reason Dark Angels treat it like such a big deal is that to the Ministorum and the Imperial Bureaucracy at large there were no traitor Dark Angels.

I like the idea that it is ten thousand years of covering up the cover up. One lie begat another, always stepping further away from what they intended. Lion's going to be pissed off when he wakes up.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 22, 2017

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

im the four books needed to play

I'm the obsolete 7th ed fifth and sixth book I picked up just for cool Tzeenchy marine pictures and stories and game ideas.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Artum posted:

Well yeah, it is now.

I’ve noticed DA players get really upset over this theory.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Gilgameshback posted:

He saw that you were playing 40k and not WHFB, right?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gilgameshback posted:

You know you gotta do this like a sitcom where you keep adding more terrain to the table every time you play, until there's just way too much terrain, but you refuse to give in.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Guy Goodbody posted:

You know you gotta do this like a sitcom where you keep adding more terrain to the table every time you play, until there's just way too much terrain, but you refuse to give in.

"what we're not allowed to play in a tunnel system? Stop stifling creativity"

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

OhDearGodNo posted:

Well how the hell else do they square off their dudes straight up murdering entire companies of other chapters to keep them quiet?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

"what we're not allowed to play in a tunnel system? Stop stifling creativity"
Sure you can! It's called Zone Mortalis. :v:

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Artum posted:

Well how the hell else do they square off their dudes straight up murdering entire companies of other chapters to keep them quiet?

I’d say that act canonizes it.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Safety Factor posted:

Sure you can! It's called Zone Mortalis. :v:

Get that weak-rear end single layer poo poo out of here.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

"Innocence" proves nothing.

OhDearGodNo posted:

Also this. :crossarms:

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Two Beans posted:

I'm the obsolete 7th ed fifth and sixth book I picked up just for cool Tzeenchy marine pictures and stories and game ideas.

Hit up my email for Magnus NIB shipped for a price substantially less than GW's! herpderpspamcatcher@gmail.com

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

OhDearGodNo posted:

’i’m not heretical ! im not heretical!!’, i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a chaos spawn

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Strobe posted:

It's probably one of those things where it wouldn't have been a huge deal if they'd come clean about it up front (it probably would have been, since they only found out about Luther and the Fallen right after the Heresy, which is when the Imperium was least likely to give a poo poo about excuses where heretics were involved), but now they have to explain not just the Fallen, but the ten thousand years of lying about that poo poo, and it'll just be weird.

Also, I mean, The Bangles turn into space Draculas because their dad died, and the Black Templars only exist because Dorn couldn't let anything go. Hilarious Overreaction is an extremely 40k thing to do.

Artum posted:

Mess with the best, die like the rest. :getin:

PantsOptional posted:

’i’m not heretical ! im not heretical!!’, i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a chaos spawn

Same:

I'm cool with the Lion coming back, but I think that and the "Luther escaped oh noooo" fluff in the codex are hooks for a splat book that might never happen.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Artum posted:

That's not really much of a nerf now that something taking up a slot on the force org is a good thing not bad.

Be honest 27 ppm is too cheap for what they do.

Eh, I don't agree. Eldar, especially Reapers, benefit from big squads for some of the stratagems. Forcing smaller squads cuts that advantage by a great deal.

But I'd be just fine if they went up a couple of points a model - GW will probably break Reaper spam though, not curb it

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ANAmal.net posted:

It's probably one of those things where it wouldn't have been a huge deal if they'd come clean about it up front (it probably would have been, since they only found out about Luther and the Fallen right after the Heresy, which is when the Imperium was least likely to give a poo poo about excuses where heretics were involved), but now they have to explain not just the Fallen, but the ten thousand years of lying about that poo poo, and it'll just be weird.

Also, I mean, The Bangles turn into space Draculas because their dad died, and the Black Templars only exist because Dorn couldn't let anything go. Hilarious Overreaction is an extremely 40k thing to do.

The red thirst has been around longer than Sanguinius's death. The Blood Angels hulk out in apoplectic rage because their dad died.

ANAmal.net posted:

Mess with the best, die like the rest. :getin:

Same:

I'm cool with the Lion coming back, but I think that and the "Luther escaped oh noooo" fluff in the codex are hooks for a splat book that might never happen.

I'm really hoping that we end up with the Fallen being the next big semi/Chaos faction and getting a full Codex. There are enough gameplay mechanics for units with the <Fallen> keyword in the DA codex that it'd be really dumb to continue having the exactly one unit that nobody cares about. Plus, we've also gotten some fluff indications that the number of Fallen is "nearly Legion strength". Luther's escape, plus the Lion, plus the Fallen, could very well be the next big thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Strobe posted:

The red thirst has been around longer than Sanguinius's death. The Blood Angels hulk out in apoplectic rage because their dad died.

I'm really hoping that we end up with the Fallen being the next big semi/Chaos faction and getting a full Codex. There are enough gameplay mechanics for units with the <Fallen> keyword in the DA codex that it'd be really dumb to continue having the exactly one unit that nobody cares about. Plus, we've also gotten some fluff indications that the number of Fallen is "nearly Legion strength". Luther's escape, plus the Lion, plus the Fallen, could very well be the next big thing.

After Dark Mechanicum, please.