Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Okay, thanks guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

TFRazorsaw posted:

Anyway, is the trial against Rhitatyn one of the ones I'm supposed to run with friends unsynced or can I go ahead on that one?

Run the trial in df. Run the next two dungeons with friends. I wouldn't even unsync them, but run with friends either way.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm not big on how unsyncing works, but like, most of my friends are higher level than me and not all of them can get on soon due to the christmas season, so I may not be able to get them all at once.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Unsyncing lets you go into a dungeon without a full party, and without level or gear sync. You'd have geared level 70s one-shotting bosses. I think the fights are fun and add to the experience, but if you need to go unsynced to watch the videos with a couple people, that's the next best alternative.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Brainamp posted:

Padjali. Kids that the Elementals looked at and said, "Yeah that's ours now." Basically any kid born in Gridania gets put into a secret lottery that you don't want to win.

Oh yeah, I remember seeing a video on a 1.0 quest that had something to do with this. Pretty creepy.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I see.

Wow, Rhitatyn goes down like a chump.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

vOv posted:

Oh, it's full-blown mocap? That explains it.

That's not to say that there isn't mocap used on the game. Here are some excerpts from the 14-hour 4th Anniversary livestream.

SAM + MCH:
https://twitter.com/pokona29/status/903929609741148162

Swimming motion:
https://twitter.com/FF14_TENSHIELD/status/903930643498680320

Ravana:
https://twitter.com/FF14_TENSHIELD/status/903931576127414272

O4S:
https://twitter.com/pokona29/status/903932950110076929

Red Mage, used as an example where they blend mocap with manual animation. The left is raw mocap data, the right is tweaked to make the animations snappier.

https://twitter.com/pokona29/status/903928025372180480

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 22, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

TFRazorsaw posted:

I see.

Wow, Rhitatyn goes down like a chump.

I cheer whenever I get Westwind in Trials, it's the fastest duty in the game

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Unsyncing lets you go into a dungeon without a full party, and without level or gear sync. You'd have geared level 70s one-shotting bosses. I think the fights are fun and add to the experience, but if you need to go unsynced to watch the videos with a couple people, that's the next best alternative.
Yeah, if you do unsync it ask your friend to maybe not wail on the bosses too much so you can see some of the attacks, which look cool + tie into the story. That's how I usually do it when I help out newbies.

Only for cool level 70 buddies:
I like to make sure the newbie sees at least one of Gaius' X attacks cause that seems to be a signature gunblade attack that crops up again in Stormblood and probably will show up more in the future, make sure Ultima gets to do one each of the Ifrit/Titan/Garuda attacks before you push to the next phase, and make sure the airships drop.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I honestly feel kind of bad for the guy. He seems to really believe in his boss, and we took him down in less than a minute.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

That explains why I like his animations so much!

It definitely feels like they're putting more budget into animation work now that the game has gone from 'oh god this is a money pit' into a smash hit.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
For the lulz, because I happened to find this while looking for those excerpts:

What actually happens when a SAM does a Huge Banana: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAi9uwQ7leQ&t=24s

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Some Fate poo poo right there.

Also that O4S mocap is perfect in every way.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Getting Westwind in Trial roulette is nice because it's fast, but I always prefer to see Shiva because bonus tomes. Ramuh and Moogle Mog can do that, but Ramuh can include a wipe and Mog basically always does.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Brainamp posted:

Some Fate poo poo right there.

I thought the same thing.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

SonicRulez posted:

Holy heck, that was amazing. I know we already have Machinist, but I would love a cannoneer type of job. Something less tinkerer nerd and more badass pirate.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Well I'm glad the long-awaited FFXIV/WoW crossover event is focusing exclusively on four significant characters from what was WoW's best expansion.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A GM on the JP side of the game messaged something like 11 users to ask them to stop posting eroticised screenshots from the game on twitter. They say it's not against the TOS but if they keep doing it, it probably will be because this game isn't NSFW/18+.

This is the twitter of one of the users. NSFW warning, no nude mods or anything.

https://twitter.com/elise_ff14

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Man those were some long rear end credits. At least they’re over though-

"The Game” posted:

“Meteor Survivors”

Oh my loving god

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Guinness Book World Record.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

TFRazorsaw posted:

Man those were some long rear end credits. At least they’re over though-

Oh my loving god

IIRC those are all the people that played during 1.0. All the credits sequences are skippable, you won't miss any cutscenes.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

A GM on the JP side of the game messaged something like 11 users to ask them to stop posting eroticised screenshots from the game on twitter. They say it's not against the TOS but if they keep doing it, it probably will be because this game isn't NSFW/18+.

This is the twitter of one of the users. NSFW warning, no nude mods or anything.

So I guess the lesson here is: if you're going to post lewd pictures of yourself online, don't do it with your (character's) real name. Just like IRL!

e: Here's a Reddit translation of the conversation if you're curious.

vOv fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 22, 2017

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
But what does this mean for Howl Jenkins

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

vOv posted:

IIRC those are all the people that played during 1.0.

Nope, just the ones that paid for at least three months' worth of subscription during that time, and even then you had to fill out a form that they e-mailed you to get in.

Even then though:

Vadoc posted:

Guinness Book World Record.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Oh I didn't watch it.

It just annoys me that I had to. It's a bit of weirdness from my autistic brain, if that makes any sense. I don't like feeling like I left something incomplete, so it's gonna bother me for a bit.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Don't worry you'll get at least 4 more opportunities to watch them

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

The credits can also be watched anytime you want at the main screen. Or..skip them to keep playing and have youtube play it in the background/another screen. Problem solved!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Eh, I'm just saying why I think it's annoying. Anyway, here's the look I've decided on for my character (at least as a bard)!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Well that duty was long and ended abruptly, much like me. In "A Spectacle for the Ages" is there a trick to beating Raubahn before he becomes Ravana or whatever at the end? I got him to like 4% before he cast Immortal Flame for all my HP.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

you need to kill things he spawns, or something like that

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Shy posted:

you need to kill things he spawns, or something like that
Oh those were mobs? I thought it was just SFX for his charge. Well now I know how to do it tomorrow after another SIX YEARS OF WHACKING POTATOES WITH GHOSTBUSTER BEAMS ON EM.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If Square starts banning everyone who jacks off to their catgirl that's like half their revenue gone

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I haven't played since the end of the 3.0 story content for a couple of reasons, although one of the major ones was the changes to how Bards played. Apparently they've changed them back so you don't have to be a stationary turret any more? In that case, I'm thinking of playing a bit over the holidays for that 4 day free "welcome back" thing they're doing.

How are Bard rotations looking now, and can you still macro a bunch of moves to a single gamepad button like before to make life simple? If I wanted to have to think, I wouldn't have picked Bard. :)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
You.. Can. You should absolutely not unless you want to be king shitter and waste everyone's time.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Yeah, never put more than one combat action on a macro at a time. Your GCD is something like 2.3-2.5 seconds, and macros can only wait a whole number of seconds, so you'll sit around doing nothing for .5-.7 seconds.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

vOv posted:

Yeah, never put more than one combat action on a macro at a time. Your GCD is something like 2.3-2.5 seconds, and macros can only wait a whole number of seconds, so you'll sit around doing nothing for .5-.7 seconds.

You can do it with monk combos and not have that problem

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lord of Pie posted:

You can do it with monk combos and not have that problem

How so?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Of course the comments lead into defending lolicon hentai.
reddit needs deleting.

Do not macro your monk combos.
Even on my i315 bad gear abandoned monk, I'm hitting 1.94GCD in GL3 and, obviously, your GCD changes depending on how many stacks of GL you have/Riddle of Fire so it's not like the macros are one size fix all even then.

vOv was right on all levels but Monk is even more bad to lazy macro.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Dec 22, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Hm. Korea just got Stormblood like, two days ago.

Do they have a dumb thing where their servers have to be segregated from the rest of the world or something?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Hm. Korea just got Stormblood like, two days ago.

Do they have a dumb thing where their servers have to be segregated from the rest of the world or something?

Knowing how most things happen in asia, its probably not run by SE themselves but by another group. SE probably doesn't have the localization expertise to do it in house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Oh yeah, I remember seeing a video on a 1.0 quest that had something to do with this. Pretty creepy.

Tell me more.