Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

piss tape israel posted:

Can you even do that? I'm reading that as turning in your two weeks while you're halfway through your vacation.

Not sure if I can do it, but given my super has suggested a leave of absence it might work out (my job has hosed my mental health but don't know if I'd have to come back after the leave). People know I'm leaving, but the timing has been up in the air for a bit. I'm mostly looking to keep my insurance so I can keep my shrink while job hunting. Also realized I gotta check with benefits to see if I need to stick around until the new year to get my 401k contribution in which case I'd bump it back a week. Ready as poo poo for 10 hour days to not be the regular.

C-Euro posted:

^^ It's not exactly the same but my last boss gave notice and then decided that he would rather use his last couple of vacation days rather than have them cashed out so he just dipped for good in the middle of his final week.

Godspeed goon. Also post/av combo.

Thanks buddy! Looking forward to at least a month off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Hot Diggity! posted:

On December 27th I am either going to turn in my two weeks notice or, if I'm lucky, burn my month of vacation time then turn in my two weeks notice half way through.

gently caress ya, hope you get to use that vacation

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Spoeank posted:

Wife and I are watching Home Alone 2: Lost in New York

Lost in New York? How do you get lost in New York? The streets are numbered!

Just wanted to quote this because John Mulaney is hilarious

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

swickles posted:

I'm waiting to board my flight and there is this dude doing street magic/hypnotism at my gate.

Please advise.

As TFF's resident amateur hypnotist, here's what I'd do:

grab the people he's just hypnotized, one by one, within 3-4 minutes of them being finished with the street dude.
In a firm but calm voice have them sit next to you.
Have them relax the arm nearest you.
Taking them by the wrist, do a mild but firm pull on the arm and say SLEEP.
Immediately start talking them downward saying "drifting, floating, relaxing, that's right..."
and then "In a moment I"m going to count to 3 and have you wake up, and when you do, no matter what is printed on your ticket, you will know for certain that you are seated in 12A on this next flight. You'll board the plane, look at your ticket, and it will say 12A. If there is anyone else in 12A, or saying that they're supposed to sit in 12A, you will get very upset, and demand to speak to who's in charge.
1, breathing deeply, 2, feeling fresh air coming into your lungs, sitting back upright, and 3 eyes open feeling great."

Then repeat that with the next 5-6 people.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Hypnotism is all bs though, right?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

The Big Jesus posted:

You can get into an argument forever on whether it is or not. I did a thread on it in Ask/Tell, it devolved quickly.

For me, it is real. What I just suggested re: airport, I am 95% confident I could pull off, and create an unholy mess for some unlucky stewardess.

It works better with certain people, like ~30% or so of people are amazing at following hypnotic suggestion, and this is where stage shows succeed, because if I pull one person at random, I have a 30% chance of finding someone like that, whereas with an audience of 50+, I'm guaranteed quite a few.

What it does: if I'm in a group of people, and ask one of them next to me to sing the Star Spangled Banner like Whitney Houston, they'd probably demure, then start and immediately apologetically smile after the first line, or giggle, and get embarrassed and stop after about 10 seconds. Under hypnosis, that person would belt that poo poo out and add all sorts of vibrato and whatnot regardless of their talent level, regardless of the people around them laughing and pointing or whatever, and crank it high volume all the way until the end. If I'm feeling tricksy, I'd give them amnesia of the entire performance. (It'd still be in their memories, just locked away, inaccessible until commanded or triggered).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I liked that TV show where what's his face used hypnosis to get people to commit armed robbery.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I went to a hypnosis show in Vegas once, and attempted to get hypnotized. I made it to the final round of people to be chosen for the act, but couldn't quite cut it. I felt like I was halfway there, but couldn't truly let go.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

seiferguy posted:

I went to a hypnosis show in Vegas once, and attempted to get hypnotized. I made it to the final round of people to be chosen for the act, but couldn't quite cut it. I felt like I was halfway there, but couldn't truly let go.

You can still probably be hypnotized, but stage guys are looking for the quickest to drop, easiest to work with, and being funny looking helps

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

My college campus went smoking free (that means everyone started vaping instead), and one of the things they did to help was hire a hypnotist who apparently stops people from smoking, and I've always wondered how that works.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Abugadu posted:

You can still probably be hypnotized, but stage guys are looking for the quickest to drop, easiest to work with, and being funny looking helps

Probably. He picked a guy wearing a MAGA hat. He claimed at the end of all the people he hypnotized they would have an orgasm every time they shook someone's hand until midnight. I have a hard time believe people could do that.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

bobjr posted:

My college campus went smoking free (that means everyone started vaping instead), and one of the things they did to help was hire a hypnotist who apparently stops people from smoking, and I've always wondered how that works.

It’s like a cognitive-behavioral tweak, but I think it would take a decent amount of one on one work, like 6-7 sessions, to have an effect. Smoking is a powerful loving addiction.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

seiferguy posted:

Probably. He picked a guy wearing a MAGA hat. He claimed at the end of all the people he hypnotized they would have an orgasm every time they shook someone's hand until midnight. I have a hard time believe people could do that.

The orgasm one is interesting - if you don’t do any leadup, it’s not going to be an actual one, even if the subject thinks it is. They’ll mimic it, and swear they had one, but you can tell the difference.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Abugadu posted:

It’s like a cognitive-behavioral tweak, but I think it would take a decent amount of one on one work, like 6-7 sessions, to have an effect. Smoking is a powerful loving addiction.

Yeah, I kinda wish they took a better tactic because with smoking people tend to avoid doorways and things like that to be polite. Vaping people want to do it in the middle of class.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

not gonna be posting much cause of travel, so hope y'all's holidays are fun (or at the very least, merry).

gonna drink myself into a stupor like I usually do. it's finally hitting me that I'm moving across-continent soon away from everything I have here

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

audio/visual entrainment is real

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
Today begins 11 days of vacation. If any motherfucker calls me to "do the needful" or "hop on this" I'm going to cause an incident.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Leperflesh posted:

Finished the first season of the great british baking show that was on Netflix.

I wanted Chetna to win

pretty much gonna have to watch all of these I guess

Chetna for life. Wait till you meet Selasi. Dude is who I want to be when I grow up.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

I’m about to set a North Korea- themed bar crawl, complete with cave bunkers and shochu stops. There’ll be a DMZ after which we leave landmines(beer cans of Hite Ice) on the ground for people to stop and drink.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/bykevinclark/status/943930156300886016

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Dick Enberg just died

:(

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Uterine Lineup posted:

Look up what happened to the lady that ruined the baked Alaska.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...-and-smell.html

She was framed!

OK no, she shouldn't have taken dude's ice cream out, for sure; but it was out for like one minute. And the guy who binned it was being stupid, he could have poured off the melted bits and kept the frozen center and at least had something to hand in. Also it was messed up for them to make an ice cream challenge for bakers cooking outside in hot weather with not enough freezer space to go around, come the gently caress on.

I have a friend who lost his sense of smell and most of his taste after a head trauma, it's totally a thing that can really happen.

Anyway neither of them had a prayer of making it to the quarterfinals much less the finals, but it was still a rare bit of controversy for such a low-drama show.

...My wife and I are getting a cold. I loving hate getting colds just in time for christmas. Plus I have to get up at 7 AM on christmas day to accommodate my family's insistence on how things Have To Be Done. It's like this every year, I can never get enough sleep that night, so I spend christmas day in a fog as it is.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Happy phone it in day to everyone. Make sure you do as little work as possible in the name of our lord.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

a neat cape posted:

Dick Enberg just died

And Vern somehow still lives.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Ehud posted:

Happy phone it in day to everyone. Make sure you do as little work as possible in the name of our lord.

The VP who's been giving me so much work these past couple of months was out yesterday and won't be back until the 26th. I'm only working this morning and then I won't be back until the 29th, and even then I might decide that I'm too jetlagged to come in to work. So I get at least a week free of this guy :feelsgood:

I did decide to write up all of the open requests that he needs to review (seems like every loving thing that I do has to go through this guy), but I'm willing to bet that the effort will go unappreciated, if not just straight-up unnoticed.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 22, 2017

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I swear if the Pirates just give up Gerrit Cole to the Yankees for nothing but their best prospects the city should just bust out the guillotines and hunt down Bob Nutting.

Also it amazes how bad the hot takes in CD can get where someone is ranting about how well established actors/directors should be ashamed of themselves for taking paychecks to work in Disney/Marvel movies because that leads to those movie having "prestige" to them because something something "Disney is killing independent filmmaking!!!"

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

The Big Jesus posted:

If you want to find out for yourself, listen to a sleep hypnosis video on YouTube. The key to successfully falling into hypnosis is to completely free your mind and be present, otherwise it won't work.

a neat cape posted:

Dick Enberg just died

son of a bitch :smith:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hello it’s Friday before Christmas and I’m literally the only person in my office. As long as the phone doesn’t ring I’ll be playing on my Switch and waiting to turn off the lights.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Myself and 3 of my coworkers just spent several minutes straight laughing at this.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Fenrir posted:

Myself and 3 of my coworkers just spent several minutes straight laughing at this.

It never stops being funny, it is incredible! His face as he is sliding down is priceless :allears:

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

weird Asian candy posted:

It never stops being funny, it is incredible! His face as he is sliding down is priceless :allears:
It's the look of sheer regret

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Ehud posted:

Half day then I'm off until the second and I angled to work completely from home today... for Jesus

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Now is the time to buy a Christmas tree for next year. Just got a new 7 foot Balsam Hills spruce for like 1/4 of the normal price. Ebay auctions are mostly ending with just the first bid. :toot:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Quiet Feet posted:

Now is the time to buy a Christmas tree for next year. Just got a new 7 foot Balsam Hills spruce for like 1/4 of the normal price. Ebay auctions are mostly ending with just the first bid. :toot:
Live trees for now and forever. North Carolina is a great source for live Fraser Firs.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 22, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I bought myself a safety razor for Christmas and used it this morning for the first time. Why have I not been using these my whole life? My father should have presented me one when I was born.

(I admit to being a little too much of a wimp to use a straight razor)

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

CannonFodder posted:

Live trees for now and forever. North Carolina is a great source for live Fraser Firs.

I've never had a live tree. I'm pretty sure my allergies would cause me to literally die.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I was at Kroger buying a tree a few weeks ago and a guy came up asking employees what the return process for a tree was because his wife didn't think the one he bought smelled enough like a Christmas tree

Blitz of 404 Error fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 22, 2017

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Blitz7x posted:

I was at Kroger buying a tree a few weeks ago and a guy came up asking what the return process for a tree we because his wife didn't think the one he bought smelled enough like a Christmas tree

lol he must be miserable

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Grittybeard posted:

I bought myself a safety razor for Christmas and used it this morning for the first time. Why have I not been using these my whole life? My father should have presented me one when I was born.

(I admit to being a little too much of a wimp to use a straight razor)

Welcome to saving as assload of money and getting a better shave, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

25% in one night

https://twitter.com/ow/status/944213895664885762

• Locked thread