Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It feels like they had the episode written, then someone said, "Hold on, you need to include a scientific explanation for these guys," and they had to go back and force a square peg into a round hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
inusually just assume mulder is insanely wrong, like in Humbug

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Freaquency posted:

It's "Detour" and yeah the Conquistador thing takes that episode off the rails real quick.

It's a shame too because the part where Scully is singing to Mulder in the woods is hilarious

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I always find it kind of baffling how the X-Files never did a proper bigfoot episode. Like that is arguably THE quintessential bit of American forteana outside of UFO poo poo.
Then again, they never really did a chupacabra episode either.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I always find it kind of baffling how the X-Files never did a proper bigfoot episode. Like that is arguably THE quintessential bit of American forteana outside of UFO poo poo.
Then again, they never really did a chupacabra episode either.

El Mundo Gira is a loosely-based-on Chupacabra episode

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I remember being piss off at the Jersey Devil episode when I was younger because it wasn't about the cool rear end Jersey Devil

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Big Mean Jerk posted:

El Mundo Gira is a loosely-based-on Chupacabra episode

Other than using the word 'chupacabra' and the Spanish-speaking setting there's really nothing at all in common between the plot of the episode and any of the chupacabras myths with which I am familiar.

Although, fun fact, unless I'm mistaken, the X-Files predates the first claims of the chupacabras. Like that's one cryptid that rose to prominence during the show's run.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Snooze Cruise posted:

I remember being piss off at the Jersey Devil episode when I was younger because it wasn't about the cool rear end Jersey Devil

Yeah but you get that sweet rear end drawing of bigfoot with tits so I'd call it a wash.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Although, fun fact, unless I'm mistaken, the X-Files predates the first claims of the chupacabras. Like that's one cryptid that rose to prominence during the show's run.

You are correct, at least insofar as it entering into the public consciousness. First mention was in May of 1995.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Other than using the word 'chupacabra' and the Spanish-speaking setting there's really nothing at all in common between the plot of the episode and any of the chupacabras myths with which I am familiar.

Well to be fair, very little of the alien/UFO stuff featured on The X-Files has anything to do with "real" UFO culture in the US, either. Really, the Jose Chung episode was probably was the one based most off of it. That and Duane Barry.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The UFO poo poo was all tied up in nwo conspiracy theory, which did touch on aliens and ufos. There's a famous crazy book called Behold A Pale Horse that was probably a major inspiration for the conspiracy episodes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think there were fewer doomsday cults and fanatical posses in X-Files than might have been expected; they're two of the things I most associate with 90s conspiracy nonsense. There was one kinda sorta Branch Davidians / Waco siege episode, as I recall, but I guess they ended up saving most of that stuff for Millennium. Were there any Order of the Solar Temple mass suicides in X-Files? I'm sure there must have been but can't remember.

Did X-Files ever mention Comet Hale-Bopp?

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 21, 2017

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think there were fewer doomsday cults and fanatical posses in X-Files than might have been expected; they're two of the things I most associate with 90s conspiracy nonsense. There was one kinda sort Branch Davidians / Waco siege episode, as I recall, but I guess they ended up saving most of that stuff for Millennium. Were there any Order of the Solar Temple mass suicides in X-Files? I'm sure there must have been but can't remember.

Did X-Files ever mention Comet Hale-Bopp?

Yeah they had the mass suicides in the field where I died

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
In general I think they avoided things that were too famous like Bigfoot

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The X-files was all about dealing with the aftermath of the cold war and talking about all the awful stuff the US did during its height through the lens of alien conspiracies from that time. A lot of the stuff, like secret human experimentation, mind-control, cover-ups, assassinations, etc., are all direct allegories to actual known US government programs from the 50s-70s. It was all stuff people knew was happening and spread through these half-truths even before the real proof came out slowly as it was declassified, in various accidental document leaks, etc.

A modern x-files would be about dealing with what happens after you win the war. It would have to deal with the half-truths today that we know are somehow true but aren't allowed to fully admit yet without being accused of conspiracy. Namely things like class warfare, total media control, cultural engineering, and the continued growth in power of the security state and its fragmentation into many privatized entities, etc. Which, if you'll notice, were all themes in the original X-files anyway.

The ending of the original x-files series where the aliens are going to come destroy earth soon would have been a decent segue to this. Just say that the aliens won and took over earth in secret, but now they have no idea what to do now that they've won, and neither does Mulder.

Hell, what would be really cool would be to explore through allegory the heinous poo poo the US got up to in the 90s after the fall of the Soviets. The poo poo that went down with the US and Yeltsin for instance was just insane and is rarely if ever discussed. But it's also directly relevant to today.

Reality control through media control. Make that into the new thing.

"We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality — judiciously, as you will — we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out."

UFOs are old hat now. The new hotness (i.e. hovering on the edge of going totally mainstream) is eldritch horrors. X-Files should do that instead. Tie in the reality isn't real anymore stuff.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 22, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have a question. I know is generally accepted now that the monster of the week episodes were the highlight of the show, but that when it was running, people cared about and wanted to get to the next episode that "mattered" in the context of the mythology arc. My question is, how did people know when an episode was going to be a mythology episode? Was it in advertisements? Was it shared on primitive Internet message boards or Usenet groups? Did people know in advance, "Oh, this is a stand alone episode; I can miss it and not miss anything" and, if so, how?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have a question. I know is generally accepted now that the monster of the week episodes were the highlight of the show, but that when it was running, people cared about and wanted to get to the next episode that "mattered" in the context of the mythology arc. My question is, how did people know when an episode was going to be a mythology episode? Was it in advertisements? Was it shared on primitive Internet message boards or Usenet groups? Did people know in advance, "Oh, this is a stand alone episode; I can miss it and not miss anything" and, if so, how?

The previews for the following week usually made it clear, but sometimes it was a genuine surprise. There were also episode summaries published in tv guide and the weekly schedules that came with the Sunday newspaper. But generally you just had to tune in every week like a caveman without streaming or dvr.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

business hammocks posted:

But generally you just had to tune in every week like a caveman without streaming or dvr.

As God intended. :v:

(I remember in 2008 or so when everyone turned against Heroes, Tim Kring did an interview where he whinged about how TiVo was ruining serialised drama because it meant people stopped tuning in every week.)

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Trailer for new season from NY Comicon. Lots of glimpses of metaplot episodes.

https://youtu.be/IRdrt8nPyy8

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gobbeldygook posted:

Trailer for new season from NY Comicon. Lots of glimpses of metaplot episodes.

https://youtu.be/IRdrt8nPyy8

AAAH! AAAH! THEY BROUGHT KARIN KONOVAL BACK!

I'm probably literally the only person who cares, but she's a scary as gently caress awesome Canadian actress, who's probably most famous for being the mother in Home. She's really good, and she's got a strong ongoing working relationship with Morgan/Wong, so she'll probably be turning up in one of their episodes.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 9, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Open Source Idiom posted:

AAAH! AAAH! THEY BROUGHT KARIN KONOVAL BACK!

I'm probably literally the only person who cares, but she's a scary as gently caress awesome Canadian actress, who's probably most famous for being the mother in Home. She's really good.

Weird trivia, she also plays (in mo-cap) Maurice the (male) orangutan in all 3 recent Planet of the Apes films

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Shooting a scene at the laughing statues and just changing the nearby flags to American ones is a new level of "Not even pretending this isn't Vancouver".

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

The X-files was all about dealing with the aftermath of the cold war and talking about all the awful stuff the US did during its height through the lens of alien conspiracies from that time. A lot of the stuff, like secret human experimentation, mind-control, cover-ups, assassinations, etc., are all direct allegories to actual known US government programs from the 50s-70s. It was all stuff people knew was happening and spread through these half-truths even before the real proof came out slowly as it was declassified, in various accidental document leaks, etc.

A modern x-files would be about dealing with what happens after you win the war. It would have to deal with the half-truths today that we know are somehow true but aren't allowed to fully admit yet without being accused of conspiracy. Namely things like class warfare, total media control, cultural engineering, and the continued growth in power of the security state and its fragmentation into many privatized entities, etc. Which, if you'll notice, were all themes in the original X-files anyway.

The ending of the original x-files series where the aliens are going to come destroy earth soon would have been a decent segue to this. Just say that the aliens won and took over earth in secret, but now they have no idea what to do now that they've won, and neither does Mulder.

Hell, what would be really cool would be to explore through allegory the heinous poo poo the US got up to in the 90s after the fall of the Soviets. The poo poo that went down with the US and Yeltsin for instance was just insane and is rarely if ever discussed. But it's also directly relevant to today.

Reality control through media control. Make that into the new thing.

"We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality — judiciously, as you will — we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out."

UFOs are old hat now. The new hotness (i.e. hovering on the edge of going totally mainstream) is eldritch horrors. X-Files should do that instead. Tie in the reality isn't real anymore stuff.

You're totally spot on with this. A large part of the original series, especially earlier in its run, functions as a depiction (and critique of) the emergence of the US deep state. The just-post-Cold War context makes what the series has to say all the more salient. It's actually kind of astonishing how a show with such a strong political subtext managed to become a network and pop culture sensation. As you mentioned, a newer run could explore aspects of the MIC and the continued era of American primacy through when the show actually aired and into the post-9/11 era. One thing that comes to mind is the continued expansion of NATO--this could have been the basis for a loving rad subplot.

Another large part of the series is of course how it uses its premise to explore the byways of Americana--the world of sideshow performers, regional urban legends and cryptids, and in general that sense of "small town weird" as someone upthread aptly described it. The lens that the MotW episodes place on levels of regional American life is a big draw of the series. It seems like a continuation of these themes would be to explore how those same places have been affected by the rise of digital technologies, consumer culture, and deindustrialization. This is what made the Were-Monster episode so great--it directly asks if The X-Files are still relevant against these cultural tides, and whether the premise of the series is sufficient to contain them. It's no coincidence that a Darren Morgan episode would be the one to ask this, of course.

It's just a shame--the original series is so densely packed with strong ideas and themes, and there are plenty of ways to extend them into a contemporary setting, but Chris Carter seems to have no idea what made the original series so great or how it managed to capture the zeitgeist like it did.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I actually wonder if Chris Carter was just a paranoid believer in all the post-Watergate conspiracy culture, or a reactionary energized by Waco/Ruby Ridge and he really had no idea that he was tapping into anything larger than his own weird interests. He seems more like an old hippie to me, but right-wing conspiracy theories were huge in the early 90s in ways that crossed back over ufo poo poo in weird ways. A lot of ufo people thought prayer and conservative christianity could fight the aliens, and that the government was enacting the new world order/UN takeover as part of some deal with satan or the antichrist. Arguably there was a stronger paranoid far right wing then than there is today.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I am doing a full rewatch on my daily commute, meaning I get through two episodes a day. However I haven’t seen all of them in the first place and what I did see was years ago so I don’t properly remember them all. I got halfway through In The Field Where I Died on my way home from work and I don’t know if I was too tired or the multiple personality schtick wasn’t working for me but I ended up turning it off. I saw in the Prime trivia notes it is one of Anderson’s favourite episodes. Is it worth persevering with? I got to the civil war speech and turned off.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I am doing a full rewatch on my daily commute, meaning I get through two episodes a day. However I haven’t seen all of them in the first place and what I did see was years ago so I don’t properly remember them all. I got halfway through In The Field Where I Died on my way home from work and I don’t know if I was too tired or the multiple personality schtick wasn’t working for me but I ended up turning it off. I saw in the Prime trivia notes it is one of Anderson’s favourite episodes. Is it worth persevering with? I got to the civil war speech and turned off.
No. Gillian Anderson loves slow, meandering episodes. The one episode they let her direct is a total slog.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gobbeldygook posted:

No. Gillian Anderson loves slow, meandering episodes. The one episode they let her direct is a total slog.

She also wrote it.

It's really really bad.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Yeah I skipped In The Field without finishing and the next few episodes are so much better (Sanginarium, Memoirs of a Cigarette Smoking Man, then a 2 parter mytharc revolving around a deadly biohazard from an asteroid piece).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That one is weird because it confirms that reincarnation exists in X-Files world and that the smoking man is doomed to reincarnate again and again somewhere around Mulder’s eternal soul, and nobody really reacts at all.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Yeah they skip over this stuff though, which is a minor bugbear of mine. Paper Harts is a great episode except it comes midway through season 4 where Mulder has had multiple counts of solid evidence on what happened to his sister and yet he doesn’t consider this when getting emotionally drawn in to Roche’s game.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

reviews are out for the new season and theyre not bad. in a huge surprise the MotW episodes are good and the arc arent.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/x-files-season-11-review-1201908214/

quote:

The season premiere, entitled “My Struggle III,” is not good — specifically, it’s not good in the same ways as the previous two “My Struggle” episodes, with slightly better pacing but a few bonus moments of bad choices and confusing plotting.

That’s the bad news. However, there’s some very good news: The following four episodes made available to critics, which follow the case-of-the-week model, represent a true return to form for the series. With a confidence that was lacking in the six episodes that made up Season 10, there are some intriguing mysteries, some eerie moments, solid action, and — praise the Lord and little green men — a fantastic comedy installment written and directed by the always-amazing Darin Morgan.

Season 11 so far isn't flawless, but it's a lively, character-focused affair that feels far more unified than we'd ever anticipated, a massive improvement over Season 10 that gives us genuine hope for the second half. For the first time in a while, we're truly excited to see more.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

so basically the same as last season but better, then

I can live with that

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Ignis posted:

so basically the same as last season but better, then

I can live with that

I was prepared for the whole season to suck besides one or two MotW episodes. Better to go in with very low expectations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My only hope is that they’ve dropped the godawful Alex Jones analogue.

It’s Carter though, I know they won’t. :negative:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My only hope is that they’ve dropped the godawful Alex Jones analogue.

It’s Carter though, I know they won’t. :negative:

Drop him and replace him with Tom Noonan playing an Art Bell analogue.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Loomer posted:

yes, please

QuickbreathFinisher
Sep 28, 2008

by reading this post you have agreed to form a gay socialist micronation.
`

Loomer posted:

Holy poo poo, please.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

business hammocks posted:

That one is weird because it confirms that reincarnation exists in X-Files world and that the smoking man is doomed to reincarnate again and again somewhere around Mulder’s eternal soul, and nobody really reacts at all.

Its really weird when you consider Triangle too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Last year I watched seasons 1-6 and kind of lost interest, then finished 7-9 just now. Holy moly the 9th season was rough to slog through, I was completely checked out for most of it (so was everyone else but Robert Patrick, to be fair). I can't believe they thought an hour long trial that consisted of thrown together clips with narration was the best way to end things

• Locked thread