Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

So the anti-independence parties totaled 52% of the vote, but are the minority in parliament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I hope they go for the troll option and elect Puigdemont as President but he remains in Belgium with no executive powers.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Glad to see democracy has yet again settled a divisive issue successfully.

Altivia
Jun 12, 2012

beer_war posted:

So the anti-independence parties totaled 52% of the vote, but are the minority in parliament.

En Comú Podem is neither pro nor anti-independence, hth

It's more like an abstention - putting pro-independence votes comfortably ahead of anti-independence votes by over 200.000 out of 7m votes.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

You are arguing semantics. Call them the "partidos no independentistas", if you prefer, my point still stands.

beer_war fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 22, 2017

Altivia
Jun 12, 2012

beer_war posted:

You are arguing semantics instead of addressing the underlying point.

The underlying point being...? The fact that the independentist bloc has gained in votes not only wrt the last elections but also the 1st of October? That underlying point?

Hell, give us two more years of PP and C's striking down every law the regional govt tries to pass and the godless separatists will be comfortably over the 50% threshold.

e: also, since you edited your post since I started drafting my reply - not being explicitly in favor of independence come hell or high water is still very far (and more than just semantically, thanks) from being unionist. I assume you aren't from here since you don't seem to grasp that...?

ee: Anyway here's my two hot takes from the election:

1) every last soul who voted for the C's-PSC-PP bloc fundamentally doesn't care that the country has political prisoners so long as it serves their interests, and

2) in an election engineered to make things as difficult as possible for independentist parties they still kept an absolute majority in parliament which, loving lol.

WAIT 3) Albiol will never stand for another election and he knows it which, double lol

Altivia fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 22, 2017

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Angry Lobster posted:

I hope they go for the troll option and elect Puigdemont as President but he remains in Belgium with no executive powers.

Isn't the troll option the dude in jail? That seems like a better PR move than the guy hiding in Belgium

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

icantfindaname posted:

Isn't the troll option the dude in jail? That seems like a better PR move than the guy hiding in Belgium

We can have both, Puigdemont elected president, nominates Junqueras as vice president(in jail), Puigdemont moves back to Spain, gets arrested and put in jail, PR ensures. The whole affair would be silly as a Monthy Python sketch.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Altivia posted:

The underlying point being...?

If a single party or several parties voted into parliament obtain an absolute majority of the votes, they should hold an absolute majority in said parliament. Do you agree with that sentiment?

Altivia
Jun 12, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

We can have both, Puigdemont elected president, nominates Junqueras as vice president(in jail), Puigdemont moves back to Spain, gets arrested and put in jail, PR ensures. The whole affair would be silly as a Monthy Python sketch.

This is the comedy option and I am 100% for it as long as it ends in Marta Rovira rising above to seize power in a House of Cards-esque move

beer_war posted:

If a single party or several parties voted into parliament obtain an absolute majority of the votes, they should hold an absolute majority in said parliament. Do you agree with that sentiment?

But the unionist bloc received 1.8m votes compared to the independentist bloc's 2m, so...?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Altivia posted:

En Comú Podem is neither pro nor anti-independence, hth

It's more like an abstention - putting pro-independence votes comfortably ahead of anti-independence votes by over 200.000 out of 7m votes.

Also Podem is pro-referendum which gives, at least the desire for a referendum a strong majority.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Here's some guy in the NYT ranting about how the independence referendum was a Putin-inspired coup

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/opinion/sunday/spain-catalonia-europe.html

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
RIP Spain, killed by its own stupidity.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Altivia posted:

But the unionist bloc received 1.8m votes compared to the independentist bloc's 2m, so...?

I'll take that as a "No" then.

Altivia
Jun 12, 2012

beer_war posted:

I'll take that as a "No" then.

They got fewer votes and that translates to fewer seats in parliament and I'm fine with that, sue me I guess :shrug:

Oh also as bonus lols, the law that decides how votes translate to seats is, in fact, not a Catalan law, but a Spanish one. And a law that C's itself has supported on a national level! But I guess now it's unfair for, uh, reasons.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Altivia posted:

They got fewer votes and that translates to fewer seats in parliament and I'm fine with that, sue me I guess :shrug:

They got like .1-.2% less which let's be honest isn't much of a movement. I think the hit from the CUP made up most of the difference.

Altivia
Jun 12, 2012

Ardennes posted:

They got like .1-.2% less which let's be honest isn't much of a movement. I think the hit from the CUP made up most of the difference.

True, the CUP is one of the big losers tonight (alongside the Comuns and the PP, hahahaha), though arguably the only reason they had so many votes in the last elections to begin with was because of people who were pro-independence but couldn't bring themselves to vote for CiU, so eh.

Certainly C's has gotten bigger gains this election than other parties due to higher participation, but it's telling that even that couldn't push them past the finish line. All in all I was expecting the worst and got considerably better results so I'm sleeping soundly tonight.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

So is there going to be another independence push/EU collapse or not?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I was looking at this vote distribution map and something caught my attention http://www.lavanguardia.com/politica/elecciones/20171221/433800521201/mapa-resultados-elecciones-catalanas-21d.html

C's has won in nearly all the relevant industrial centers and also in a lot of the services-heavy population centers. Also, in turn, they are the most populated areas. I maybe wrong, but basically this aligns with the traditional unequality distribution of income in Catalonia, there are of course exceptions. It's funny how a lot of pro-independence areas rely heavily on the EU.

We are hosed and I love every minute of it.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 22, 2017

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

beer_war posted:

You're saying you're opposed to representative democracy. Which system would you suggest as an alternative?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Phlegmish posted:

You're saying you're opposed to representative democracy. Which system would you suggest as an alternative?

eternal beer war, duh?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Also Podem is pro-referendum which gives, at least the desire for a referendum a strong majority.

Additionally, PSC is firmly opposed to Article 155 and the PP's perennial attempts to challenge Catalan autonomy.

These elections might not have been a strong endorsement of independence (though neither were the separatists punished), but they're definitely a signal that the 2006 statute should be fully reinstated.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

:confused:

I want the share of seats to more closely match the share of votes each party got, i.e. I want the results to be more representative, not less. Honestly, I would have thought this to be a fairly uncontroversial position. Having a single constituency instead of four would be a start:

http://www.eldiario.es/politica/grafico-Parlament-Catalunya-1-D_0_719878501.html

Altivia posted:

Oh also as bonus lols, the law that decides how votes translate to seats is, in fact, not a Catalan law, but a Spanish one.

All the more reason to fix it, then.

beer_war fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Dec 22, 2017

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

I'm assuming their issue is the algorithm for proportional representation... but given that Catalonia uses PR with the d'Hondt method it's basically the most optimal form of PR?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Aren't the people who're for independence from Spain pro-EU?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Cingulate posted:

Aren't the people who're for independence from Spain pro-EU?

They are for the "have our cake and eat it" version of the EU like the UK Brexit crowd.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's funny because the actual reason why Catalan independentism became a mainstream issue is that Catalan politicians started blaming Madrid for austerity measures imposed by Brussels.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Isn't it interesting how often brutal austerity leads to nationalist independence movements. If only there was some kind of historical precedent to serve as a warning as to the dangers of fuelling this, one recently even... *gaze slowly slides over 1991 Yugoslavia*

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Isn't it interesting how often brutal austerity leads to nationalist independence movements. If only there was some kind of historical precedent to serve as a warning as to the dangers of fuelling this, one recently even... *gaze slowly slides over 1991 Yugoslavia*

It's almost like boosting GDP by shirking job security is not a consequence-free economic wonder-drug.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Tesseraction posted:

Yes you can plaster over internal conflict with deficit spending - until your credit card runs out.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GaussianCopula posted:

Yes you can plaster over internal conflict with deficit spending - until your credit card runs out.

I'm in Slovenia, as a nation we're several times more in debt than the entirety of Yugoslavia combined was when we left it. And we're better off than most ex-yu. Tell me, how is this even possible, if a credit card is supposed to run out?

It's almost as if, as long as you pretend to be a capitalist state, people don't care and just give you more money anyway.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
lol the old national debt is equivalent to a credit card analogy, and of course it's GC's special blend of ignorance and ideology that pushes it. Why am I not surprised?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Cerebral Bore posted:

lol the old national debt is equivalent to a credit card analogy, and of course it's GC's special blend of ignorance and ideology that pushes it. Why am I not surprised?

As a Swabian housewife, I

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

Well I suppose you'd rather the 1930s repeats but with Muslims this time, but some of us have brighter hopes for humanity.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Money was a mistake

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

GaussianCopula posted:

you realise using "national credit card" disqualifies the speaker entirely from having a worthwhile point on econ, right? You can't honestly believe the most brazenly stupid economic metaphor of all time has value in this argument?

Capital has nowhere to go and desperately needs to be used, perhaps by investing in productivity growth and industrial/automation upgrades which will directly boost GDP and tax intake. That is how actual economies function as opposed to whatever economically illiterate fantasies about nation-states with militaries are just like a house tosspots will repeat endlessly as the west fails to grow since 1980.

Got to spend money to make money.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Dec 22, 2017

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Truga posted:

Money was a mistake

Money is a good servant but a terrible master. The tragedy of Europe is that we're led by people for whom money is to be obeyed rather than commanded.

Altivia
Jun 12, 2012

beer_war posted:

All the more reason to fix it, then.

Great idea! Unfortunately this law benefits the PP and PSOE too much on a national level so the only way we can change it is if Catalonia becomes independent :v

I'm still just chuffed that the independentist parties had to campaign with one leader in """preventative jail""" and the other in exile under threat of the same and they still managed to add 100k more votes to their total than the last elections. I'm happy to settle back and wait at this point.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Truga posted:

I'm in Slovenia, as a nation we're several times more in debt than the entirety of Yugoslavia combined was when we left it. And we're better off than most ex-yu. Tell me, how is this even possible, if a credit card is supposed to run out?

It's almost as if, as long as you pretend to be a capitalist state, people don't care and just give you more money anyway.

Same reason, I think, as to why things like the South Seas Bubble from the start of the 18th century continued to this day to be paid off piecemeal by British taxpayers, likely will for another century or so and never gets called in full, while the ones who took part in it/came up with it were allowed to keep their titles and estates, even though that poo poo was demonstrably one of the biggest con artist lies to have ever existed on this planet and which could've brought the whole empire to its knees had justice been done.

So long as you pretend to be an 'economically viable' place for investors, you can keep playing the farse of capitalism for as long as you like. Tako to gre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Altivia posted:

Great idea! Unfortunately this law benefits the PP and PSOE too much on a national level so the only way we can change it is if Catalonia becomes independent :v

I'm still just chuffed that the independentist parties had to campaign with one leader in """preventative jail""" and the other in exile under threat of the same and they still managed to add 100k more votes to their total than the last elections. I'm happy to settle back and wait at this point.

Nah, being in jail was 75% of their campaign.