Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I gotta disagree on the Steve Zahn thing. A Perfect Getaway is a perfect movie.

Not perfect, they spelled Sydney "Cydney". I can't support such malarkey .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Finished Big Little Lies, and I admit it, it was good, even if I still disliked most of the women (not Nicole Kidman and Shailene Woodley's characters) and all the men except Adam Scott, a decent guy who got poo poo on by everyone. But I liked how in the end, they all worked out their differences, helped each other in a moment of crisis, and became friends.

Yep! It's a great ending, and why I'm wary about the second season while still very excited to see more of it. The resolution between all of them was perfect, so how can you add in any more conflict to follow up without ruining the peace they created?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My fav action movie of the last 5 years is Hardcore Henry but yes Raid 2 is fantastic.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

nate fisher posted:

It’s good I agree. It is just the same people telling me how it’s the greatest action movie of like the last 10 years (myself I would say Raid 2 is) seem to also love the F&F movies.

That said I stand by F&F is not good at all. They are awful like lovely Michael Bay movies.

F&F has the following things that Bay's films do not:

Characters

Comprehensible action scenes and stunts

Embrace of an escalating ridiculousness without devolving into joyless bombast

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GreenNight posted:

My fav action movie of the last 5 years is Hardcore Henry but yes Raid 2 is fantastic.

I don't know if I'd call Hardcore Henry my favourite anything but it sure was a journey.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I enjoyed Hardcore Henry apart from one tiny thing, the movie goes out of its way to avoid showing a reflection of the pov character's face throughout, so you can imagine it's you, then for a second near the end you it does show the reflection in a shard of glass and it's like oh it's some guy's face not me I guess

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Hardcore Henry is amazing, I want to watch it in VR

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

BSam posted:

Hardcore Henry is amazing, I want to watch it in VR

The music videos are a work of art.

They Russian'd Smack My Bitch Up

Uno: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYm-dT24iRY

Dos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgox84KE7iY

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Dec 22, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Season two of The Crown is excellent.

e: next season will be interesting with the cast change. Claire Foy and Vanessa Kirby will be sorely missed, but Matt Smith has maybe kind of sort of but not really ?? hinted Ralph Fiennes could be taking over as Philip so

e2: i just learned ralph fiennes is an 8th cousin to prince charles ?? hot

Ralph Fiennes makes me so straight.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Dec 22, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I just crammed through Big Little Lies after the mentioning in this thread. My god, what a show. This would be favorite of the year if not for Patriot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

John Wick 1 and 2 are among the best action movies of the 21st Century, alongside The Raid 1 and 2 and Mad Max: Fury Road. That's probably my top five. I can't think of anything else that even comes close to those, quality-wise.

There was a South Korean movie earlier this year called The Villainess (similar to Nikita with a plot that's a bit more complicated than it needs to be, but it has this really cool first-person action sequence at the start which I enjoyed a lot) which I thought was very good. Not as good as the Raid movies, though.

I actually think two of the best action movies of the 21st century are (and hear me out on this) the two direct-to-dvd Universal Soldier sequels that Jonathan Hyams directed (Regeneration, which is as close as we're probably ever going to get to a Time Crisis movie, and Day of Reckoning, in which Van Damme is Marlon Brando from Apocalypse Now leading a Universal Soldier cult).

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

CineD put me onto Regeneration and it really is a perfect, no-frills, solid action flick. JVCD, Lundgren, the MMA guys and even the one comedy scientist just get to work and there's no fat whatsoever.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

nate fisher posted:

Trash opinions.

dsyp

John Wick 1 and 2 are among the best action movies of the 21st Century, alongside The Raid 1 and 2 and Mad Max: Fury Road. That's probably my top five. I can't think of anything else that even comes close to those, quality-wise.

The Raid 1 is amazing. Raid 2... ehhhhhhhhhhh.

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 22, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The best Raid movie is force awakens

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wandle Cax posted:

Characters

I don't even remember what the gently caress Shia Le Douche's character in Transformers was named and I saw like 3(?) of those movies. F&F has really lovable characters.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

esperterra posted:

Season two of The Crown is excellent.

e: next season will be interesting with the cast change. Claire Foy and Vanessa Kirby will be sorely missed, but Matt Smith has maybe kind of sort of but not really ?? hinted Ralph Fiennes could be taking over as Philip so

e2: i just learned ralph fiennes is an 8th cousin to prince charles ?? hot

Ralph Fiennes makes me so straight.

Season 2 was very good, and it does seem like Foy could conceivably play the role for another season (they've only gotten 10 years into her reign, after all).

One thing that struck me about this season is that it had easily the harshest portrayal of JFK that I think I've ever seen in a movie or TV show. Usually he's presented as a symbol of hope and optimism, or at least as charming and likable. In this he's a savvy politician, but also a womanizing drug addict who has trapped Jackie in an abusive marriage and callously uses her for his political ends. And Michael C Hall played him with such smugness and condescension. Very unusual.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Well the show is propaganda for the brits. In the first season they almost made the Egyptians look like the villains.

Kennedy probably was an rear end in a top hat in private though. On Boardwalk Empire, Kennedys dad lords his corruption above even the Mafia.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

There was a South Korean movie earlier this year called The Villainess (similar to Nikita with a plot that's a bit more complicated than it needs to be, but it has this really cool first-person action sequence at the start which I enjoyed a lot) which I thought was very good. Not as good as the Raid movies, though.

I actually think two of the best action movies of the 21st century are (and hear me out on this) the two direct-to-dvd Universal Soldier sequels that Jonathan Hyams directed (Regeneration, which is as close as we're probably ever going to get to a Time Crisis movie, and Day of Reckoning, in which Van Damme is Marlon Brando from Apocalypse Now leading a Universal Soldier cult).

I saw a trailer for The Villainess and really want to see it. I loved the first two seasons of Nikita (haven't seen the rest yet) and Point of No Return, the Bridget Fonda remake of La Femme Nikita.

And I was blown away by how good Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning, but I haven't found a place to watch Regeneration yet.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 22, 2017

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Wandle Cax posted:

Characters

OK characters you got me, but I find the actions set pieces in the F&F lame and boring just like a Bay movie. You use the term 'joyless bombast' and that is exactly how I feel watching them (zero tension). I couldn't even finish the last F&F movie. If I am being completely honest I found the first 3 OK, and the first one the Rock shows up in not that bad at all. But the rest? Urg. Also Paul Walker peaked with Joy Ride and Running Scared.

I am not surprise people in this thread like John Wick, because I like it (tbh John Wick 2 is a step down). I just don't think it is anywhere close to one of the GOAT action movies. Hell it is not even the best action movie Keanu Reeves has been in (the first Matrix, Point Break, and Speed are all better).

My Top 5 Keanu Movies (just because)

5 - Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
4 - Point Break
3 - The Matrix
2 - My Own Private Idaho
1 - River's Edge

raditts posted:

The Raid 1 is amazing. Raid 2... ehhhhhhhhhhh.

Raid 2, while it is slower at times, has better action scenes overall. If I had to pick a favorite I would go with Raid 2.

Just curious which one do you find a better 'gun play' move, John Wick or Equilibrium?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

nate fisher posted:

Just curious which one do you find a better 'gun play' move, John Wick or Equilibrium?

Shoot 'Em Up

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

This isn't even a contest...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Equilibrium is a good movie but John Wick blows it out of the water in the gun-fu dept.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

nate fisher posted:

I hate you for reminding me that Equilibrium exists and that it had gun-karate or some stupid poo poo.

John Wick 1 was ok but they're both kind of overhyped.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Equilibrium is so terrible.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Equilibrium is so terrible.

It has a couple of neat scenes, but overall it's really bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snak posted:

It has a couple of neat scenes, but overall it's really bad.

GODDAMN IT TAYE DIGGS STOP SMILING

But hey, it's what Nolan saw and decided that Bale should be Batman right? That was a good thing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

GODDAMN IT TAYE DIGGS STOP SMILING

He stops smiling when Christian Bale chops his CGI face off with a sword.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
That Will Smith movie Bright came out today.

It's not... awful? Like you can plainly see the glimmers of a somewhat interesting movie universe in between absolutely awful jokes and a cliched ending.

It's better than Spectral ended up being anyways but jesus that's 90 million down the drain on something they could have plopped out for 30.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 22, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dredd.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

That Will Smith movie Bright came out today.

It's not... awful? Like you can plainly see the glimmers of a somewhat interesting movie universe in between absolutely jokes and a cliched ending.

It's better than Spectral ended up being anyways but jesus that's 90 million down the drain on something they could have plopped out for 30.

It's pretty loving awful. Like there definitely exists a decent movie in there, but the script is absolutely wretched and the metaphors are so on the nose it pushes it into your loving skull.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

The best action movie of the last couple years is War of the Planet of the Apes. Also the best movie for CGI, CGI Apes, Apes. Best movie starring Roger Cross, and best thing Steve Zahn has done, ever.

Strange Wilderness is my favourite movie to have a 0% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Food call. Way better than John Wick 2. Which was bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

He stops smiling when Christian Bale chops his CGI face off with a sword.

I'm sure he started smiling again just as soon as his face hit the floor.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ShakeZula posted:

Season 2 was very good, and it does seem like Foy could conceivably play the role for another season (they've only gotten 10 years into her reign, after all).

One thing that struck me about this season is that it had easily the harshest portrayal of JFK that I think I've ever seen in a movie or TV show. Usually he's presented as a symbol of hope and optimism, or at least as charming and likable. In this he's a savvy politician, but also a womanizing drug addict who has trapped Jackie in an abusive marriage and callously uses her for his political ends. And Michael C Hall played him with such smugness and condescension. Very unusual.

Peter Morgan is pretty insistent in changing the cast every two seasons til it's done. I wish he would keep Foy on but I do think he has a point that it's harder for a 30 year old to play 50, etc, etc. Olivia Colman has been cast as Elizabeth II for seasons 3 and 4, not sure if they've announced anyone else yet.

It'll be a weird transition.

I'm even more excited to see Hall's portrayal now you've said that. I think I left off around episode seven or so. Going to finish up while I'm visiting with family over the holiday.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I was enjoying the second season of The Crown quite a bit--some of the early stuff is significantly better than the first season, which was just ten episodes of really pretty background noise--but the last few episodes left me absolutely cold. There's one, I think it's the eighth or the ninth, that contrasts Philip's life at boarding school with Charles', and it's just absolutely awful.

esperterra posted:

Peter Morgan is pretty insistent in changing the cast every two seasons til it's done. I wish he would keep Foy on but I do think he has a point that it's harder for a 30 year old to play 50, etc, etc.

The makeup they were using to age Foy is pretty terrible, to be fair.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The first Raid film was essentially a demo reel based on the Dredd script nobody thought would ever be made. Super fun, but not original. The second at least was the proper film he set out to originally make.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Timby posted:

I was enjoying the second season of The Crown quite a bit--some of the early stuff is significantly better than the first season, which was just ten episodes of really pretty background noise--but the last few episodes left me absolutely cold. There's one, I think it's the eighth or the ninth, that contrasts Philip's life at boarding school with Charles', and it's just absolutely awful.

Yeah, I've heard the episode with Philip flashbacks is a weak point. But if it's just the one episode out of the season, eh.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

nate fisher posted:

Raid 2, while it is slower at times, has better action scenes overall. If I had to pick a favorite I would go with Raid 2.

Raid 2 is way longer than it needs to be because those action scenes are in between long, boring stretches of gobbledygook plot.

nate fisher posted:

My answer is "amused laughter"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I really liked the organized crime plot of Raid 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Snak posted:

Food call. Way better than John Wick 2. Which was bad.

Yeah, John Wick 2 wasn't great, mainly because they took the hidden underground assassin world, a concept that is neat but doesn't really hold up if you think about it too much, and expanded on it to the absurd degree that pretty much every resident of New York City is an assassin but they're apparently all trying to keep it secret from one another.

• Locked thread