Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mr. Squishy posted:

Pointing scrub readers to pugnacious contrarian Nabokov as a yardstick is bad advice.

The Lectures are really accessible and each lecture is "here's a great author, this is why their books are good," in rough chronological sequence. The lecture on Dickens is particularly good. It's basically just "Literature 101 taught by Nabokov."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the problem is that a novice might get chased away from authors that are actually pretty good (dostoyevsky, thomas mann, faulkner, to name a few) on account of Nabokov's contrarian opinions

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ulvir posted:

the problem is that a novice might get chased away from authors that are actually pretty good (dostoyevsky, thomas mann, faulkner, to name a few) on account of Nabokov's contrarian opinions

From what I remember he doesn't really talk about those in the Lectures but maybe I'm wrong or maybe he does in the ones on Russian literature. I've only read the English and even that's been a while. I'm mostly pointing to them because the first two Lectures, on Austen and Dickens respectively, a very concise and effective explications of why they should both be considered "great authors" despite the standard attacks ("writer for women," "paid by the word," etc.)

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
iirc he also throws some serious shade at professors who like mystery novels in the intro. I was looking for the quote couple days ago, but apparently have lost my copy of the book.

Time to buy it again, I guess.

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 25, 2022

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I've never read Louis Paul Boon, maybe I should, I can read him in Dutch! I haven't read enough Dutch authors. My favorite is probably Nescio. In high school you get told that Harry Mulisch is the greatest Dutch author but I always found him poo poo. Willem Frederik Hermans is good though.

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013
Gerard Reve is the best one and you know it. Becoming a gay catholic reactionary alcoholic is basically finishing the end boss of European male authorship imo.

Shibawanko posted:

I've never read Louis Paul Boon, maybe I should, I can read him in Dutch! I haven't read enough Dutch authors. My favorite is probably Nescio. In high school you get told that Harry Mulisch is the greatest Dutch author but I always found him poo poo. Willem Frederik Hermans is good though.

If you only read Dutch Dutch as opposed to regional dialects it might not be so easy, as he uses a lot of weird words. Do you know what scharten is?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Antwan3K posted:

Gerard Reve is the best one and you know it. Becoming a gay catholic reactionary alcoholic is basically finishing the end boss of European male authorship imo.

If you only read Dutch Dutch as opposed to regional dialects it might not be so easy, as he uses a lot of weird words. Do you know what scharten is?

I don't, it means scratching, apparently. Probably cognate with the English word.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Also make sure you've read David Copperfield, by far Dicken's best long-format work. Now would also be a good time to go back and re-read Christmas Carol.

By far? I've never read it but I'm a little surprised anything he wrote could be better than bleak house. Are they comparable/iterative or is it apples and oranges ?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Jack B Nimble posted:

By far? I've never read it but I'm a little surprised anything he wrote could be better than bleak house. Are they comparable/iterative or is it apples and oranges ?

Well, I don't want to get too much into a debate over what amounts in the end to a question of personal taste. They're probably his two most autobiographical works, which is why they're both so good. Thing is Bleak House is based on stuff he saw while working in the law courts, while David Copperfield is based (to a large extent) on his own personal childhood experiences living as a London street urchin. Bleak House might be more technically adroit but Copperfield communicates far more emotion on each page. You'll laugh, you'll cry, it's better than Cats.

Bleak House does have the advantage that it's the book Nabokov selected for his Lecture, so there's that. My paperback edition of Bleak House has that lecture as its introduction.

I shouldn't speak too generally though because there are some Dickens books I haven't read. I still need to tackle Our Mutual Friend and The Old Curiosity Shop, and I can't bring myself to start Edwin Drood because the lack of ending would be a woodpecker in my brain forever afterwards.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 19, 2017

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I can't bring myself to start Edwin Drood because the lack of ending would be a woodpecker in my brain forever afterwards.
we did some work on this way back when, where we used like sentiment analysis and trajectories in abstract language space to predict what the end of drood would look like. we, uh, didn't make too much progress.

george bernard shaw and g.k. chesterton put on a murder trial to figure out drood's murderer, and i think that was a much more satisfying endeavor.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I didn't love Rings of Saturn, half the time I felt like I was reading an encyclopedia

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Ras Het posted:

I didn't love Rings of Saturn, half the time I felt like I was reading an encyclopedia

Rings of Saturn is his most delirious novel, tied with Vertigo. Read Austerlitz in which the narrators reveries are more bound to the plot.

Or don't, because Sebald's style is consistent between his novels. Although I have heard that he is more funny and less sombre/antiquarian in German.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Can't say I liked the only Sebald book i read (Emigrants) very much either, i think it requires a particular way of reading, which comes easy to some people but seems unnatural to me

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The Emigrants IS Austerlitz, isn’t it?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Heath posted:

No. At least, I hope not, since I got them both in the mail today.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Modern literature critique is getting paid big bucks to shitpost "really makes u think" in the new york times.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
In case it hasn't been talked about enough ITT, I finally got my hands on Lincoln in the Bardo and really enjoyed it. I'm always a sucker for themes of death and remembrance though.

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

Heath posted:

No it's a collection of 4 narratives about Emigrants while Austerlitz is entirely about 1 Emigrant (also about hotels and train stations and time as a river vs time as a ditch)

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
quit being a loving child and read lincoln in the bardo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I really really dont care about dead presidents though

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'm out for them to represent me.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Powaqoatse posted:

He's alive at the time the book's set.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I assumed as much. Alas, I still don't care :shrug:

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
It's not a loving biography dude

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

quit being a loving child and read lincoln in the bardo

I refuse

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

It's not a loving biography dude

I know, but another thing I don't care for is historical fiction about real people so

Whatever, it's alright.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I bet this modern American man has really interesting insights.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Powaqoatse posted:

the only good American is a dead American

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Lol and you guys make fun of me for my poo poo taste. At least I try new things

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

Yes, read boon. Thank you.

Antwan3K posted:

I've never read Reve. Now I want to.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Powaqoatse posted:

I know, but another thing I don't care for is historical fiction about real people so

Whatever, it's alright.

thanks for keeping us in the loop about your boring preferences man

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
There’s a scene in Lincoln in the Bardo where, while running after Abraham Lincoln, a ghost has to carry his feet-long penis in his hands to avoid tripping over it and that alone makes it worth reading imo

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

derp posted:

'Lol and you guys make fun of me for my poo poo taste. At least I try new things'

- man arrested at scene of sewer depravity

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

thanks for keeping us in the loop about your boring preferences man

no prob :tipshat:

smug n stuff posted:

There’s a scene in Lincoln in the Bardo where, while running after Abraham Lincoln, a ghost has to carry his feet-long penis in his hands to avoid tripping over it and that alone makes it worth reading imo

alright that sounds fun, might give it a shot

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

smug n stuff posted:

I'm a bit uneasy at this shift in literary taste towards the relatable

pepperoni and keys
Sep 7, 2011

I think about food literally all day every day. It's a thing.

smug n stuff posted:

That sounds good but the best book about ghosts with big dicks is Ghosts by Cesar Aira

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

pepperoni and keys posted:

That sounds good but the best book about ghosts with big dicks is Ghosts by Cesar Aira

Dona Flor and her Two Husbands :colbert:

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

i like the bit where the guy repeatedly rolls a pebble down his huge cock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I like the ghosts that miss the masses of ghosts passing on because they're having an orgy