Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

SELL SELL SELL

ITS OVER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Trending up!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The salt between r/bitcoin and r/btc is amazing right now.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Who is brave enough to catch the knife

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

The salt between r/bitcoin and r/btc is amazing right now.

Any choice quotes? I can’t stand Reddit’s format

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah but I'm asking the other way around. If I try to send $0.01 worth of BitCoin to someone else right now, will it actually trigger a transaction and waste the world's time and energy and drive transaction costs up higher, or will the network refuse the transaction because it can't even cover the fee?

You're free to attach a fee as small as you want, and that transaction will go into the mempool with everything else and some random altruistic miner somewhere could totally include it in a block for you

So yes, it will trigger a transaction and waste the world's time and energy. But it won't really drive transaction costs up at all, that's purely a function of how badly people want their transactions to actually go through, transactions way below the average fee aren't going to effect that and will just get dropped from the mempool eventually

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Dumb question: Where is the money spent on transaction fees actually going? Is there someone making huge profit out of it, or is it just waste to discourage stress?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Craptacular! posted:

Dumb question: Where is the money spent on transaction fees actually going? Is there someone making huge profit out of it, or is it just waste to discourage stress?

iirc, it's added to the total reward for mining the block. The idea is, in the far future, nearly every bitcoin that will ever be mined has been mined and thus the normal reward for mining a block will be miniscule. To keep people mining, the transaction fees become the primary source of income, not the discovery/minting/award of new coins.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

Whichever miner gets lucky and discovers the next block can choose to include as many transactions as they can fit in that block. The transaction fee is basically offering a bribe to the miners to get them to give priority to your transactions over others that paid less in fees. "Huge profit" isn't really right though because miners spend insane amounts of money on electricity, and most of that is subsidized by the network awarding bitcoins for every discovered block.

Interesting detail: in the bitcoin protocol you don't really specify a transaction fee, you just don't say where all of the money is going. So if you want to send X bitcoins to another address and pay Y as a transaction fee, you just say "Out of my X+Y bitcoins, I want X to go to this other address". It's up to the miner to then claim the unspent Y bitcoins

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 22, 2017

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

PerrineClostermann posted:

iirc, it's added to the total reward for mining the block. The idea is, in the far future, nearly every bitcoin that will ever be mined has been mined and thus the normal reward for mining a block will be miniscule. To keep people mining, the transaction fees become the primary source of income, not the discovery/minting/award of new coins.
Another dumb question: so what happens after all the bitcoins are mined: then there are no more need for transaction fees? What happens then to people who are trying to cash out their bitcoin to local currencies?

And I guess what happens to the miners when no more bitcoin can be mined? I guess the obvious answer is they switch to a different popular cryptocurrency, or work starts on mining Bitcoin 2 (which seems like a silly answer).

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 22, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

nnnotime posted:

Another dumb question: so what happens after all the bitcoins are mined: then there are no more need for transaction fees? What happens then to people who are trying to cash out their bitcoin to local currencies?

And I guess what happens to the miners when no more bitcoin can be mined? I guess the obvious answer is they switch to a different popular cryptocurrency, or work starts on mining Bitcoin 2 (which seems like a silly answer).

As long as people are transacting, transaction fees will be required. Also, bitcoin will never have mined every bitcoin. The reward approaches zero, as the total supply of bitcoins asymptotically approaches its maximum.

e:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

nnnotime posted:

And I guess what happens to the miners when no more bitcoin can be mined? I guess the obvious answer is they switch to a different popular cryptocurrency, or work starts on mining Bitcoin 2.

Blocks would still be mined, they just wouldn't award new bitcoins. Miners would still expect fees from people submitting transactions

Bitcoin miners overwhelmingly use ASICs, which you can think of as computers that are designed to only do 1 very specific thing. There's relatively very little wiggle room, so a Bitcoin-mining ASIC can't mine Litecoin (because it uses a different hashing algorithm) but it could mine Bitcoin Cash (because there's no real difference to the underlying mining algorithm). Bitcoin miners would probably switch to a fork of bitcoin that continues awarding bitcoins forever

Realistically though that wouldn't happen for over 100 years and bitcoin will be basically dead long before that

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

PerrineClostermann, DuckJets, thanks for the education. The cryptocurrency field is more complicated than I realized.

I was reading a little bit up just now on Bitcoin Cash, which sounds more attractive than Bitcoin, though it's increased usage I assume will depend on gathering support from the large forces in the crypto space.

https://blockgeeks.com/guides/what-is-bitcoin-cash/

Hmm, this article states that despite Bitcoin Cash's increased block-size to aid transactions, that quality of it's security remains in question:

https://www.investopedia.com/tech/bitcoin-vs-bitcoin-cash-whats-difference/

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 22, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I'm all bitcoin right now, i believe it shall rise again, and i will transfer it back into eth afterwards

exchanges lagging to hell and throwing error 500s, currency of the future confirmed

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 22, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Looks like the buy orders at 13k have been fullfilled and we are back on our way down.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

McAfee has found a way to still make money in crypto.

https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/944206175100424193

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

nnnotime posted:

I was reading a little bit up just now on Bitcoin Cash, which sounds more attractive than Bitcoin, though it's increased usage I assume will depend on gathering support from the large forces in the crypto space.

Bitcoin Cash is a result of "bitcoin purists" who believe that the fictional character who invented bitcoin is perfect and good, and that things like segwit and lightning are apostasy in the eyes of our lord Satoshi. They believe that sending transactions through intermediary hubs is a threat to the libertarian perfection of bitcoin and will lead to all-powerful server farm owners ruling over their subjects as god-kings. They insist that the only correct way to use bitcoin is for every transaction to take place on the same ever-bloating blockchain, and if it's too slow and expensive to use the solution must be to make the blocks bigger. So, to preserve the purity of bitcoin, they made their own version in Satoshi's perfect image.

They might be right, who knows, but be aware that it's the only reason bitcoin cash exists, and it does absolutely nothing to solve any of the other glaring, obvious problems with bitcoin. And it's a really weird, specific argument to fork a coin over, and everyone involved on both sides of the argument need to leave the loving house once in a while.

tl:dr; bitcoin cash is not better than bitcoin in any technical way, and might be worse.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
How are your dailies looking? Mine are about 30% less, but still wildly profitable (roughly $3 per card).

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Risky Bisquick posted:

How are your dailies looking? Mine are about 30% less, but still wildly profitable (roughly $3 per card).

With a 1070 I’m making 3.00-3.50 a day. Easy game easy life

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Bitcoin Cash is a result of "bitcoin purists" who believe that the fictional character who invented bitcoin is perfect and good, and that things like segwit and lightning are apostasy in the eyes of our lord Satoshi. They believe that sending transactions through intermediary hubs is a threat to the libertarian perfection of bitcoin and will lead to all-powerful server farm owners ruling over their subjects as god-kings. They insist that the only correct way to use bitcoin is for every transaction to take place on the same ever-bloating blockchain, and if it's too slow and expensive to use the solution must be to make the blocks bigger. So, to preserve the purity of bitcoin, they made their own version in Satoshi's perfect image.

They might be right, who knows, but be aware that it's the only reason bitcoin cash exists, and it does absolutely nothing to solve any of the other glaring, obvious problems with bitcoin. And it's a really weird, specific argument to fork a coin over, and everyone involved on both sides of the argument need to leave the loving house once in a while.

tl:dr; bitcoin cash is not better than bitcoin in any technical way, and might be worse.
Thanks for that insight. I have to say: you and many other posters here are very-well informed and perceptive about the cryptocurrencies. You would probably pass the interviews to get on Goldman Sach's new Cryptocurrency trading desk if you chose (me = not with Goldman).

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The other reason to fork it is you also double your holding (all bitcoins that existed at the time of the fork were duplicated in BCH) so you just magic'd less valuable duplicates into existence for basically nothing.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

The other reason to fork it is you also double your holding (all bitcoins that existed at the time of the fork were duplicated in BCH) so you just magic'd less valuable duplicates into existence for basically nothing.

Which is why there’s like 10 upcoming Bitcoin “forks”, including “Bitcoin Uranium” (BUM)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It's not quite that simple. Lightning Network is a large and unproven change with some technical hurdles to overcome - specifically you need a web-of-trust between you and the person you're trying to send to, and every intermediary takes their fee of course. Any time you make a large change like that to a production system you're going to get people who want to be conservative and not kill the golden goose. Frankly I'm astonished with some of the things that people are willing to do on production networks - like, the change to Proof Of Stake is an absolutely massive one and nobody has ever actually demonstrated a PoS system that actually works in practice, and yet Ethereum is installing timebombs to force a switchover even though they're like 2 years behind schedule on trying to implement it.

The other thing is that a lot of the key stakeholders who are behind the Core faction are pushing their own transaction-resolution systems to run over the top, they're hoping to pump their own coins and turn Bitcoin into digital gold (even more than it already is) or a kind of low-volume inter-bank settlement network. Which is why they declined the Segwit 2X proposal, they didn't want to increase the block size at all even as a temporary fix.

I don't think it's a super good idea to have an ever-growing blockchain either, but that's just kind of the nature of Bitcoin, the part that avoids centralization is the availability of the full blockchain. Checkpointing or any other mechanism forces you to rely on someone else telling you what the last checkpoint was, and there's really nothing stopping people from just agreeing to modify the checkpoint however they want. You can always run a thin client like Electrum (in practice many people are already doing this) and as long as the full blockchain is at least available that's an overall more satisfactory solution to me. Having some people trusting a centralized history is better than having everyone trusting a centralized history.

Really though even what bcash is doing isn't going to scale forever, it's just a bandaid and sooner or later you are going to fill up 2 MB blocks/8 MB blocks/etc. But it's better than no bandaid and $30 fees like is happening on Bitcoin right now. Segwit2X was supposed to be that bandaid - double block sizes to fix the immediate problem, and Segwit as a long-term fix. But again, that proposal is dead now, so $30 fees it is!

edit: the other other fun part is that a lot of those Chinese ASICs don't support Segwit at all, so there was a huge faction of Core people who were vocally opposed to Segwit2X (or any Segwit at all, in fact) because it would make their money-printing machines worthless overnight.

So I guess you can summarize this as "everyone involved is a bunch of squabbling idiots who are all trying to make themselves rich and doesn't really care about the long-term health of the network".

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 22, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
yeah, I basically agree with all of that, I was just trying to put it in layman's terms.

honestly, it seems a bit silly to even worry about ethereum self-immolating in pursuit of PoS when the whole thing is based around a hopelessly lovely programming language for contracts that doesn't work and can't be changed. I also think that even Lightning is papering over the holes in bitcoin at best, and we won't see any sort of implementation for a year at least.

Like any tech product ever, this entire generation of cryptocoins is effectively a collective public alpha, and really shouldn't be taken seriously as a long term implementation.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Which is why there’s like 10 upcoming Bitcoin “forks”, including “Bitcoin Uranium” (BUM)

Announcing my new bitcoin fork: Distributed Universal Merchant Bitcoin (DUMB)

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

That's the good stuff.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
something interesting about bitcoin these days is that the last few bull runs have followed a very predictable pattern:

1. some new bip or something, bitcoin can scale now!
2. everyone buys in, jim cramer says ignorant poo poo on tv, etc
3. transaction backlog grows until fees are completely idiotic
4. everyone realizes bitcoin is still extremely garbage
5. price plummets, miners chortle

kind of makes me want to set up an algorithm to automatically short that crypto index fund once fees get over a certain point.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Free candles!? Someone get Dril on the phone stat!

nerox
May 20, 2001
How do you pre-mine a bitcoin fork?

Also since every bitcoin in existence is essentially duped in a fork, isn't saying "no premine" a little disingenuous?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rexxed posted:

That's the good stuff.

I'm Bitcoin Santa

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

nerox posted:

How do you pre-mine a bitcoin fork?

Also since every bitcoin in existence is essentially duped in a fork, isn't saying "no premine" a little disingenuous?

In "no-premie" versions, everyone holding X BTC now gets X New-Coin (or X * Y or whatever scale they're using).

In "premie" versions, everyone holding X BTC now gets X New-Coin (or X * Y or whatever scale they're using), and the people pushing the fork get a bonus Z New-Coins for their efforts, enriching themselves and somewhat diluting everyone else's values. Kinda like when a company issues new stocks, but gives them all to their C-level employees.

SBTC, for example, is basically skimming 1% straight off the top of whatever the eventual valuating is.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
What I'm hearing is the wise money is in hiring a lawyer and a programmer and making a dozen forks.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

craig588 posted:

What I'm hearing is the wise money is in hiring a lawyer and a programmer and making a dozen forks.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Gooncoin ICO.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Kazinsal posted:

Gooncoin ICO.

Dogecoin fork it is, then!

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Kazinsal posted:

Gooncoin ICO.

Only if it’s icon is the most disgusting neckbeard you can imagine as the icon and not the hand grenade

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

tehinternet posted:

Only if it’s icon is the most disgusting neckbeard you can imagine as the icon and not the hand grenade

Bad news, there is already a fedoracoin (symbol: TIPS)

HamHawkes
Jan 25, 2014

tehinternet posted:

The only icon allowed is Goatse

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

Bad news, there is already a fedoracoin (symbol: TIPS)

I unironically laughed at the symbol

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i'm downright shocked nobody's proposed the zybourne coin yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i'm downright shocked nobody's proposed the zybourne coin yet

Imagine four coins on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the coin nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of coins and takes the place of the first coin. The formerly first coin becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.

The blockchain works the same way.

• Locked thread