Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
A freaking TIRE?!

Great, now we've got this creepy-looking mofo to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

A freaking TIRE?!

Great, now we've got this creepy-looking mofo to deal with.

In my mind, Goodyear should have been required.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
The contestants tonight missed a perfectly good opportunity to say "I'll take Dick for $800" on national broadcast television

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Vulture Culture posted:

The contestants tonight missed a perfectly good opportunity to say "I'll take Dick for $800" on national broadcast television

Austin would have done it for sure.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Vulture Culture posted:

“Oh, sure, I’ll also answer that question.”

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Why would that be difficult for a woman, Trebek?

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Is the original comic popular enough to people to know the reference? Saw it in the political cartoons thread once.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I'm just :psyduck: that Wheel of Fortune was apparently getting better ratings than Jeopardy at some point. I mean Wheel is just such a "meh" gameshow that makes it incredibly difficult to win the big prizes.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Wheel is a lot easier and more predictable though, so I can see why it could be more popular. It's like the Leno to Jeopardy's Letterman.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I know people who think Jeopardy is “too intellectual” and has a “snobby” premise.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Zesty posted:

Is the original comic popular enough to people to know the reference? Saw it in the political cartoons thread once.

I saw it memed all over twitter for a week or so within the last couple of months.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Zesty posted:

Why would that be difficult for a woman, Trebek?

That's what I was thinking. I wish the contestant had responded with that and given him her best deadpan glare.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm just :psyduck: that Wheel of Fortune was apparently getting better ratings than Jeopardy at some point. I mean Wheel is just such a "meh" gameshow that makes it incredibly difficult to win the big prizes.

I get annoyed about the fact that Wheel of Fortune still exists. It's random as hell and boring.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Trebek is the avatar of casual sexism.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

WarEternal posted:

I get annoyed about the fact that Wheel of Fortune still exists. It's random as hell and boring.

I manage to catch it about once a week because I don't feel like playing XCOM 2 instead. It's interesting in that they do everything possible to make sure no one wins prizes other than the prize puzzle.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

WarEternal posted:

I get a lot of Schadenfreude out of people that make hilariously wrong guesses at the puzzle solution.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

Momentum is a hell of a thing, especially considering there was a five or six year break between the last time Art Fleming hosted it and when Trebek started.

Wheel had been on tv in one form or another since 1975, on NBC, CBS, and syndicated.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
the main appeal of Wheel of Fortune is watching Pat Sajak grimly struggle to remain civilized with and polite to his contestants

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Wheel of Fortune: the game show for people for whom The Price Is Right requires too much knowledge and math.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I really have nothing against Wheel, it's just not as engaging as Jeopardy, nor does it typically have anything worth talking about afterward. It does make better background/party TV because you don't actually need to hear it to follow what's going on. Whereas you need to be able to hear Jeopardy to know what the right answer is.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

:smug: The right question :smug:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

WampaLord posted:

:smug: The right question :smug:

Actually the thing that Alex reads is the clue, what the contestants say is the response.

:smuggo:

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Soothing Vapors posted:

the main appeal of Wheel of Fortune is watching Pat Sajak grimly struggle to remain civilized with and polite to his contestants

poo poo like the long, uncomfortable silence sajak gives a contestant after hearing them tell a story about their dream being to host wheel of fortune doesn't happen all that much, but it makes up for the rest of the drudgery that the show has become.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

poo poo like the long, uncomfortable silence sajak gives a contestant after hearing them tell a story about their dream being to host wheel of fortune doesn't happen all that much, but it makes up for the rest of the drudgery that the show has become.

I like the awkward silences whenever Pat says something to Vanna that would result in a harassment suit in any other job between the credits and the actual end of the broadcast.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Sajak used to be hilarious. It feels like he's been phoning it in for over a decade now.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Goober Peas posted:

Sajak used to be hilarious. It feels like he's been phoning it in for over a decade now.

He looks like he plays Russian Roulette after every show.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Well I’m honestly surprised two people missed that FJ. Was that campaign not as all-over-the-goddamn place in the US compared to Canada?

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

Well I’m honestly surprised two people missed that FJ. Was that campaign not as all-over-the-goddamn place in the US compared to Canada?

It is, but they might not watch much tv.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009

PT6A posted:

It was pretty easy if you didn't overthink it like me and my family. Notable guesses included
The Gorton's Fisherman
The Brawny guy
Mr Clean (how???)
Captain Morgan

We usually do better than this.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Syzygy Stardust posted:

It is, but they might not watch much tv.

That’s what I mean, though. It wasn’t just TV ads here. I remember seeing print ads, bus stop ads, the whole deal. It was ridiculously big here. Canadians loving love beer and there was apparently no length too far to go in order to get a bigger slice of that pie.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

funktopus posted:

It was pretty easy if you didn't overthink it like me and my family. Notable guesses included
The Gorton's Fisherman
They were definitely trying to tease people into answering this one, because the (original mascot, not commercial character) Gorton's Fisherman looks exactly like older Hemingway

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

What is Gorton's? I've never even heard of that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PT6A posted:

What is Gorton's? I've never even heard of that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Huh. Yeah, I can certainly see the resemblance, but I've still never heard of the brand.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Their tagline is 'Taste the Gorton's Fisherman'

:eyepop:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
smdh at you effete coastal Protestants in your fancy ivory towers who never had to subsist on Gortons "fish" every goddamn Friday

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Goober Peas posted:

Their tagline is 'Taste the Gorton's Fisherman'

:eyepop:

Trust the Gorton's Fisherman.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I thought of Ty-D-Bol and was only mostly way off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Thought of Gorton's despite never buying it in my life.