Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Bloop posted:

Yeah probably don't buy digital if you want to share between two or three consoles. I don't see why that is surprising at all.

I think the ps4 lets you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

If I remember rightly, the PS4 lets you if a) You're logged in with the account which purchased the game, or b) the PS4 is set to be the Primary PS4 of the account which purchased the game.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Physical is both cheaper and more convenient than digital.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Physical is both cheaper and more convenient than digital.

Yes let's start a dumb argument about this again

seems like a great idea

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

The Bloop posted:

Yeah probably don't buy digital if you want to share between two or three consoles. I don't see why that is surprising at all.

Oh I hate digital. But you dont have a choice with most games. Romancing Saga isnt available physical. Atleast with xbone I can take my digital purchases to my second console while leaving them available on my home console. Not that we have touched the xbone in over a year other than netflix...

Mario we got stuck with digital due to the only switch being available when we got our first one being the bundle.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Hot spicy take: some games I buy physical, but also some games I buy digital :aaa:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Dr Cheeto posted:

Hot spicy take: some games I buy physical, but also some games I buy digital :aaa:

Get out.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Andrast posted:

Yes let's start a dumb argument about this again

seems like a great idea

https://youtu.be/kWSIFh8ICaA

:smug:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
This argument could be solved forever if there were no videogames

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Comcast is working on destroying the video game industry at this very moment so you will have your wish.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
what does net neutrality have to do with video games

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Daveski posted:

I did that trial the other day and using the fireproof armor didn't even occur to me

This. I basically wear the Ancient or Stealth gear 24/7, and switching it up for the sake of the shrines was something I forgot you could do. I basically treat every shrine like Eventide and just use do whatever I can with runes.

mandatory lesbian posted:

comcast will block every site except polygon

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bandwidth for downloads and latency for online games.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

You want to play games online? Oh that's in this other pricing tier.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i play mostly rpgs and stuff, kinda forgot online gaming was a thing people did

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mahoning posted:

You want to play games online? Oh that's in this other pricing tier.

Woah there, buddy. Our ISP's packages only cover Microsoft online gaming, we don't do Sony or Nintendo services. You'll have to make do with 500ms ping on those, but Microsoft games are top-tier under-50ms latency because Microsoft paid us through the nose to make it that way.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Online gaming uses a tiny fraction of the bandwidth that streaming video does, it's probably safe.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tales of Woe posted:

Online gaming uses a tiny fraction of the bandwidth that streaming video does, it's probably safe.

It's an avenue of revenue, it can and will be hosed with for more blood outta that stone.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

i play mostly rpgs and stuff, kinda forgot online gaming was a thing people did

Same. But even then, if you're downloading a bigass game like Final Fantasy XV, you'll be hitting your monthly cap on possibly one game alone. Not to mention 30gb+ patches that are the norm these days.

Physical media is here to stay, baby!

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Tales of Woe posted:

Latency doesn't matter at all for streaming video but it's quite important for online gaming

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Louisgod posted:

Honestly I think the gun spawn rate is decent but too often you get stuck with no keys to open chests so you're forced to take on a boss or two with the starter weapons. It's not so much that it's hard as it is super annoying and long and drains your want to play another round. If they can adjust the balance a bit it'd be super fun, I like bullet hell games and the dodge in this one is super satisfying.

There are a few things that can help you manage your keys. On the first couple floors at least, you can guarantee a key will show up in the shop by not picking up any extra keys that drop on the ground before you enter the shop for the first time -- I hate weird fiddly poo poo like this and apparently they're gonna change it in a patch so keys just show up in the shop no matter what in their own "slot" but for now it works. If you do this you're guaranteed two keys on the first floor + whatever you get from random drops.

It's good to know too that there are two chest rooms on every floor -- one of them always contains a gun, and one of them always contains an item that's not a gun. Some of the low-rarity (brown, blue) items are pretty good but most of the guns in those categories suck. If I open up my first chest on Floor 1 and get an item, and the other chest (which I now know contains a gun) is brown or blue I will usually just save my keys and take on the first boss with my starter weapon unless I have a bunch of extra ones. If you can't consistently no-hit the first boss with your starting weapon this may not be worth it, but otherwise it can be a good way to save your resources. Also if you do this the boss will be guaranteed to drop a gun, so at least you'll have something to use going into Floor 2.

Also (mechanic and helpful early unlock spoiler): you should steal as many items from the shop as possible just because doing so a certain number of times (10? 20?) unlocks an item for future run that gives you unlimited keys, which is as powerful as it sounds. Once it's unlocked it will show up pretty regularly in the inventory of the merchant who sells you poo poo for keys but it also has a chance of coming from chests etc. Figuring out all the ways to steal is kind of fun but off the top of my head you can use anything that makes you invisible, an item that will give the Charm effect to the shopkeeper, one of the decoy active items, the grappling hook, and probably more where that came from

And if you're having trouble with drops you should prioritize items that give you Coolness and avoid getting Cursed. Coolness comes from holding basically any item that has a description implying it makes you cool (Sunglasses, Ballot, Shade's Revolver, etc) and will improve your general "luck" while reducing cooldown times on your active item. Curse comes from anything that makes a little skull icon appear over your head (and you can usually get rid of it by dropping whatever cursed item it is, but there are a few actions you can take that will permanently apply Curse) and it will penalize your item drop rates but boost the drop rate of money. It does a few other (mostly) bad things as well, to balance out how powerful most cursed items are

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Tales of Woe posted:

It has nothing to do with bandwidth and everything to do with the fact that ISP now have the power to basically charge you a la carte for access to different websites, streaming services, or......you guessed it.....online gaming services.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Tales of Woe posted:

Do you understand how latency limitations work? Comcast et al can easily cap, limit or segment online gaming and require an additional cost to get desired speeds. Let's not get started on the 10+ gig patches most newer games require.

net neutrality being revoked is bad, like online gaming.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Tiny Metal is good, but...

I think the bigger issue with Tiny Metal than the text size is just how difficult it is to parse the map status at a glance when compared to Advance Wars. I realize that AW had to make these design decisions as it was played on a lower resolution screen that’s not backlit, but when the primary two armies at the start of the game are yellow and green when the primary colors for terrain are yellow and green, it makes it hard to read health bars and tell exactly what kind of unit is where without moving the cursor over it. Also many of the infantry units and ranged units look similar.

As mentioned there’s the battle animations, which can be turned off; the problem with this is that when it is turned off, it gives little indication of what battles occurred unless a unit is critically hit or destroyed.

I like it, and it’s a mechanically sound game, and very much scratches the AW itch, there are just some QOL issues which hopefully can be improved with the multiplayer patch.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

goferchan posted:

great writeup

This is super helpful, thanks! Wish the game had a more in depth tutorial, I hate having no way to know about the nuances of stupid poo poo like the key trick without accidentally stumbling upon it online.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Do you understand how latency limitations work? Comcast et al can easily cap, limit or segment online gaming and require an additional cost to get desired speeds. Let's not get started on the 10+ gig patches most newer games require.

net neutrality being revoked is bad, like online gaming.

Unfortunately even WITH Net Neutrality, data caps are legal so the 10 gig patches still gently caress those of us who have lovely ISPs.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Louisgod posted:

This is super helpful, thanks! Wish the game had a more in depth tutorial, I hate having no way to know about the nuances of stupid poo poo like the key trick without accidentally stumbling upon it online.

Yeah I think in this case it's more about exploiting the drop system than it is an intentional trick but it does feel kind of dumb, since it costs you nothing to do and 99% of the time is helpful. Also just got my first win on Switch :cool: the real Gungeon starts here

edit: also for those who feel like the item combos are less exciting than Isaac , it definitely gets crazier once you start unlocking more passive upgrades. For example I just got Duct Tape which lets you permanently combine two guns and combine their bullets/effects which is as wild as it sounds

goferchan fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 22, 2017

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

caldrax posted:

Friends and I played it on PC awhile back, I found it to be pretty mediocre, the most basic of pixelart animations on some very stiff moving characters, it had enough charm to get us through 2 or three levels but then we stopped and never played it again. I think I paid 5 bucks for it in a steam sale and I don't know if I can say I got my money's worth out of it. You might get a different reaction from someone else here, though.

This was my experience with Hammerwatch as well. It's just not very good.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Conversely, I quite enjoyed Hammerwatch. It might help people to know exactly what they're getting: a game based off of the original arcade Gauntlet. You can pick between several different characters, level them up, get new skills, but the real focus of the game is fighting through giant swarms of unforgiving enemies to destroy their spawns, with a minor in secret walls/passages.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Except it's bad at doing what made Gauntlet fun.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4R5kPNeraM

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I love this game.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive

goferchan posted:

Helpful gungeon tips

It never occurred to me to try stealing from the shopkeeps and now I must STEAL

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Whoops, I didn't mean to post that in this thread.

But Catlateral Damage would be perfect for the Switch

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

See now I'm even more confused what's going on with the wifi in this hotel. I left my switch connected to it overnight in sleep mode and it at some point decided to stop arbitrarily being paused and it fully downloaded my new game (and some more updates). Interesting, and yay a new game to play!

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

iajanus posted:

See now I'm even more confused what's going on with the wifi in this hotel. I left my switch connected to it overnight in sleep mode and it at some point decided to stop arbitrarily being paused and it fully downloaded my new game (and some more updates). Interesting, and yay a new game to play!

Did you perhaps close a game that was running? I’ve noticed some games (Rocket League, Splatoon) Will pause any downloads while using online components.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I probably should’ve played BOTW before Mario. I’m finding a lot of it really restricting and frustrating from a movement sense. The stamina meter is irritating. I know you can upgrade it at some point but right now it’s TOO short. Losing stamina from simply swimming is irritating (and you’ll get hurt and sent back to where you were). Losing stamina while running is frustrating, I’d rather Link just move faster by default. Being able to use a fun weapon only temporarily is irritating. Fall damage is always A Thing in 3D Zelda but Mario NOT having it made the game more fun. I want the glider but I can’t have it yet. Apparently the glider requires stamina too.

Can I play as Mario in this game instead.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

First part of the Tiny Metal intro cinematic was running at like 10fps for me, then near the end it became smooth. I wonder if that's the Switch trying to load content off the SD card or what? I might need something faster.

I've noticed chunky intros in other games too. Rocket League intro logos chunk for a while and then the game is OK.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

People playing on Steam report the same thing with the Tiny Metal intro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Martytoof posted:

First part of the Tiny Metal intro cinematic was running at like 10fps for me, then near the end it became smooth. I wonder if that's the Switch trying to load content off the SD card or what? I might need something faster.

It does that in digital, too.

I got a refund. gently caress that tiny text. Also I guess it was just the straw that broke the “meh” equilibrium.

Sorry about Project Phoenix. TM will probably sell like 149,999 copies now.

• Locked thread