Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

everything is alright over at r/bitcoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

lol coinbase shutting down trading is not at all like a central bank controlling currency, nope, the free market it totally available to make number go up

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Today in Bitcoin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgRLlqEvOT8

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fried Watermelon posted:

Bought at $19.5K, AMA. :smug: :tif:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Just wait until tether fall apart.

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

XK posted:

Just wait until tether fall apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDjDmeRFiRI

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Yea, the real fun is going to come when people realise that tether is worthless and essentially the equivalent of Zimbabwe dollars.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

the best part is, the people who are peddling this are people trying to get out, who desperately need people to trade their "worthless fiat" into the system so they themselves can escape it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Running to the FDIC is the funniest part of all of this. Proving the old fact of "Libertarians want rid of government until the government can help them". No-one tell them what the F stands for.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Oh, yeah, we have a billion dollars in reserve. Us printing tether to take advantage of lack of liquidity between bitcoin and cash withdrawals is fake news. The price of bitcoin isn't propped up by an imaginary currency created out of thin air at all.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Shout out to any long term hodls staring huge stacks of cash in the face the last month to hold out for even more.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

:f5h: :reject:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Running to the FDIC is the funniest part of all of this. Proving the old fact of "Libertarians want rid of government until the government can help them". No-one tell them what the F stands for.

Doesn't matter, none of the exchanges are FDIC approved. Some of them have FDIC approved people they themselves deposit funds with, but FDIC insurance only covers the actual bank, not someone using the bank. If coinbase goes tits up, it doesn't matter if the people they deposit money with are FDIC insured. Coinbase isn't. The banks that are FDIC insured didn't go bankrupt. Coinbase did.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Lot of unpaid mortgages in the future I see

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Drone_Fragger posted:

Doesn't matter, none of the exchanges are FDIC approved. Some of them have FDIC approved people they themselves deposit funds with, but FDIC insurance only covers the actual bank, not someone using the bank. If coinbase goes tits up, it doesn't matter if the people they deposit money with are FDIC insured. Coinbase isn't. The banks that are FDIC insured didn't go bankrupt. Coinbase did.

Yeah, I just mean, it was funny that their first idea was "There has to be some kind of regulation to stop this from happening!" only to find out that of course there isn't and this is what happens when you convert your mortgage into funbucks.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

But transaction fees are lower! I’m not owned! I’m not owned!...I’m not. I’m not

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
this is good for bitcoin

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Bitcoin is an elaborate social scheme to watch libertarians recreate government from scratch.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Bitcoin can’t fail, it can only be failed

Also if it fails who can I sue to get my money back??? I was told it can’t go down

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Can some one let me know when they leave a banner for the suicide hotline at the top of reddit, thanks

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Fried Watermelon posted:

Trying to spin watching your account value plummet as "let's see how tough the new guy are" is hilarious. I bet it even works on some of them, gritting their teeth while they lose another mortgage payment in hopes that the group will soon think they're "tough."

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Knight posted:

Trying to spin watching your account value plummet as "let's see how tough the new guy are" is hilarious. I bet it even works on some of them, gritting their teeth while they lose another mortgage payment in hopes that the group will soon think they're "tough."

They are the true warriors of the day

They know in their old bones that they will come out ahead, because they are the main character and hero and the hero always wins in the end.

All other doubters can GET OUT

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
It was really funny watching something you mocked mercilessly 5 years ago suddenly get treated like it was legitimately good knowing this was going to happen any moment. Everything is so stupid

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

Good Citizen posted:

It was really funny watching something you mocked mercilessly 5 years ago suddenly get treated like it was legitimately good knowing this was going to happen any moment. Everything is so stupid

I had tuned out after mt gox had stolen a bunch of bitcoins. This has been a pleasant sequel

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

I’m the guy who eats garbage and has bad posture at my computer but is still a jacked uber mensch somehow. I am. A Hodler. Hodler Strong.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

paternity suitor posted:

I’m the guy who eats garbage and has bad posture at my computer but is still a jacked uber mensch somehow. I am. A Hodler. Hodler Strong.

6000 percent gains on the exchange and in the gym.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

traders are the true chads

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

paternity suitor posted:

Whose legs are made out of salt water taffy, melting in the heat of overclocked GPUs.

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
hanging chad? more like banging chad.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
lol I decided to clear my cost base today, because I'm sick of watching this go up and down, and Coinbase tells me my transaction will clear 12/29. Let me guess, if the price moves in my direction they keep the difference and if the price moves against me, it's my loss?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

lol I decided to clear my cost base today, because I'm sick of watching this go up and down, and Coinbase tells me my transaction will clear 12/29. Let me guess, if the price moves in my direction they keep the difference and if the price moves against me, it's my loss?
i don't have an answer to your question, but why use coinbase instead of gdax? trades on gdax are instantaneous and i'm pretty sure that you automatically get access to it when you register on coinbase

edit: their website says you'll get the price when you sold https://support.coinbase.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1148738-what-price-will-i-receive-when-i-buy-or-sell-digital-currency-

try checking your history like it says

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 22, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Uranium 235 posted:

i don't have an answer to your question, but why use coinbase instead of gdax? trades on gdax are instantaneous and i'm pretty sure that you automatically get access to it when you register on coinbase

edit: their website says you'll get the price when you sold https://support.coinbase.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1148738-what-price-will-i-receive-when-i-buy-or-sell-digital-currency-

try checking your history like it says

Oh yeah there it is!

Wheee!

I've officially made more than $7K trading bitcoin!

Granted that's taxed as income, but it clears the entirety of my cost basis and I have more than half my stack left.

HODL now, I guess.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Oh yeah there it is!

Wheee!

I've officially made more than $7K trading bitcoin!

Granted that's taxed as income, but it clears the entirety of my cost basis and I have more than half my stack left.

HODL now, I guess.
nice :cheers:

yeah i'm trading only with profit now. gradually withdrawing enough to cover my taxes

Astrolite
Jun 29, 2005

Ero Ninja Gundam!
Pillbug

no crotch bulge, voted 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
There's a guy from reddit who literally borrowed $40k from a "shady local lender" to buy bitcoin yesterday, at 25% interest. His plan was to sell when bitcoin hit 30 or 40k in January. Now he's broke and his first payment is due next week.

If real, this guy is the Platonic ideal Ponzi investor that Minsky is talking about.

The great thing about bubbles is they can legitimately happen to almost any asset. All you need is a long period of modest to good investment return (check) in the wider market to set the atmosphere of safety, some bored hedge investors looking for something different and maybe a little risky because current productive investment is probably full (check), and then media attention to bring the speculators and the complete fools (double check).

We're lucky it is something useless and funny like crypto this time. Last time it was housing, which was markedly less funny.

Grand Theft Autobot fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 22, 2017