Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Christ that picture of Promoetheus merging with her hair is loving amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

me too, pudding

me too

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
That was legit terrifying.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
My man Brook looking like he’s ready to throw down again

Also everybody is so hosed

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

don't worry, chopper will save them. he's been useless this whole time so his big moment would be more impressive :v:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I am so glad that Sanji is cool again.

Also Brook! He's jumped to the top of my list for being a genuine badass this arc, even though he was technically way up there already purely on the strength of his design and backstory.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

This is why you can't complain after one or two set up chapters, holy gently caress the artwork and story turn in this chapter :captainpop:

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

Manatee Cannon posted:

don't worry, chopper will save them. he's been useless this whole time so his big moment would be more impressive :v:

If that's what you want to believe

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

hey lay off my man. he doesn't know. . . he doesn't know!!!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Chapter 990: Go Sit in the loving Corner, Chopper, We'll Call You If We Need You

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
dont worry guys chopper might bandage carrot up a bit after he disappears when stuff starts happening again

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
everyone is so cool

and then they somehow get even cooler

now we just need chopper to go like a level beyond normal Monster Point to show just why he's the big brother of that dynamic and finally get to do something rad in the New World

...yeah it probably won't happen but still!

or I guess he can heroically sacrifice himself fulfilling his role of emergency rations but then that wouldn't be for Luffy so that also probably won't happen

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bege mellowing out is the real highlight

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

chopper is gonna suplex mom off the boat

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

JahRoo posted:

chopper is gonna suplex mom off the boat

Onto one of her own family’s boats, shattering it and causing a huge wave that disrupts the rest of her family and only Jinbe can sail it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Still not sure it’s going to be Linlin eating that cake. I mean, they explicitly made sure it wasn’t booby-trapped, and Sanji’s phrasing this chapter was kind of ambiguous.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Man, Big Mom is so good. What an excellent villain. I don't think Oda's ever had someone else be so menacing the whole time.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I had no idea how much I wanted Shokugeki no Sanji to be a thing until this chapter. Right now I don't think I'd be satisfied with any ending to this arc other than Sanji cooking so well that it makes Big Mom give up :allears: this is great.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Pretty gutsy move for Oda to kill off half the crew.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I love how Carrot fucks up an entire fleet by breaking the helms. While being chased by one of the strongest characters in the Big Mom crew. Even if she doean't do anything else. that was badass!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Carrot is great.

I’m really appreciating Sanji more now too. Really just glad he’s back to Chef Life.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I hope that even after they part ways Pudding just continues to pass out every time Sanji does something cool no matter how far away he is. Like the generic sneezing gag, but good.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
It would actually be amazing if they part ways on amiable terms, Sanji becomes a cooler ‘sorry I got a girl waiting for me’ type of dude, and Pudding completely inherits his ridiculous nosebleeds trait.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, while I don't really see (nor particularly want) Pudding joining the crew I'm fine with them staying married if it means we get the good Sanji from the first half of the series back (or perhaps an even better one). He's been long overdue for a character arc like this.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Sorry, the Year of Sanji ended this week so we won't be seeing him anymore

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

jinbe retire bitch

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Countblanc posted:

Sorry, the Year of Sanji ended this week so we won't be seeing him anymore

You're wrong, the year of Sanji was last year :v:

Year of Sanji going 3 years strong!

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Julias posted:

It's actually the dog year of Sanji. See you in 2023.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Julias posted:

how time flies

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Um...What does Daifuku rub to make the genie come out?

It was unsettlingly vague on the page.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Mama said knock you out
\
:sun:

I'm gonna knock you out
\
:yayclod:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Archenteron posted:

Mama said knock you out
\
:sun:

I'm gonna knock you out
\
:yayclod:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kegslayer posted:

Pretty gutsy move for Oda to kill off half the crew.

I wonder how the crew will escape this. The only two ways I can see it happening are either (1) Sanji, Pudding and Bege meeting them there instead of Cacoa Island and using the cake to satiate her or (2) Luffy turning up from the Mirror World somehow after defeating Katakuri off-screen to distract Big Mom. Neither of which are particularly satisfying possibilities, one because the latest chapter set up Big Mom's 8 hour plus starvation induced skinniness as being some frightening new thing no-one has ever seen before, and her being fed would deprive the audience not just seeing how this new state affects her but how the crew defeats her when she's at a monstrous new height given the extra danger/tension it adds, while Luffy turning up out of the blue robs the audience of a possible show down that Luffy is demonstrably having trouble with.

Plus, it seems a bit too early to defeat her using the cake even if that was where the story was going given that Big Mom would be satiated while the Luffy v Katakuri fight is still not wrapped up, leaving her and the rest of the crew kind of hanging around with no major crisis for Luffy. Unless the Luffy fight would be wrapped up in the next two or three chapters I suppose. It doesn't seem like the arc is that close to resolution though really, since the Germa's movements still aren't accounted for and only Luffy has had a significant one-on-one fight as of yet that I recall. There have been less definitive fights running through the arc obviously, but they're all a lot more discreet and running alongside other events in a way that doesn't seem like the usual for the resolution of One Piece arcs.

I guess it's possible that Luffy will turn up with Katakuri in tow somehow, and distract Big Mom while Katakuri is still around but two opponents he would have trouble with individually at the same time seems a bit much. Plus, if he does turn up with Katakuri still alive, it would seem to suggest that he's run away from Katakuri again, which would seem to run counter to his resolution to stand and beat Katakuri to make himself stronger.

I don't see anyone on the ship able to fight or distract her given her wedding cake induced rage for any reasonable length of time either. Not even Jinbe. Even if they could though, something would have to turn up to relieve them; and that brings me right back around to wondering how they'll be rescued; just delaying the question for a bit longer.

Mr. Fowl posted:

Um...What does Daifuku rub to make the genie come out?

It was unsettlingly vague on the page.

He seems to just be rubbing his tummy up and down, which would make sense since if it's a devil fruit then the genie would presumably be living in his stomach once he ate the fruit. I'm sure if you wrote in to Oda's SBS he'd be willing to say it's from his penis though.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 23, 2017

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
yeah i just took the genie fruit to be a literal stand without any side effect abilities (that we know of yet)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
oh why wouldn't it be a pastries related fruit honed into its most bullshit battle capabilities im stupid

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
His name is Daifuku, a Japanese treat.

His fruit just seems to turn him into a literal magic lamp.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hate-Senpai posted:

His name is Daifuku, a Japanese treat.

His fruit just seems to turn him into a literal magic lamp.

The translator’s notes on that page explain the connection.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Lol I didn't notice that he rubbed himself to get the genie to come out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hoya (火屋?) means "lamp chimney" in Japanese.
Hoyahoya is the Japanese onomatopoeia for smoking or steaming.
The English version translates its name to the Puff-Puff Fruit. This is a reference towards the tradition of genies leaving their lamp in a puff of smoke when summoned by their master.