Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kilroy posted:

They'd be impeached and removed by a democratically-elected Congress. It isn't the Wild West. This idea that the judiciary should be utterly removed and impervious to the will of the people is poison. Especially considering how unrepresentative the Senate already is, and they still had to bend every rule and hold up appointments for years to stack the courts, including the Supreme Court - no I think removing some of those judges (and at least one Justice) on the barest of pretense, or no pretense, is fair game :colbert:

What would you say if the current Republican Congress started doing this, using similar reasoning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kilroy posted:

Is there precedent for impeaching Justices (or federal judges for that matter) because they make too many terrible decisions and are just bad at the loving job? Could that conceivably pass muster as "not good behavior"?

Samuel Chase was impeached in 1805 for being too partisan and a general shithead. He was impeached by the House but acquitted in his trial in the Senate.

Abe Fortas resigned from the court in the 1960s to avoid impeachment.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/HashtagGriswold/status/944283804163805184

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kilroy posted:

Well we're living in extraordinary times - no reason not to make some new precedent.

I might go along with impeaching Gorsuch over the stolen seat thing, but I'm not fine with impeaching Roberts because he made a decision we didn't like. Especially since his VRA decision, though I disagreed with it, is not that remarkable. It can be easily fixed by a new Democrat congress, they just need to come up with new objective criteria for preclearance. (Or just make it simple and say all states must get preclearance, not just the south)

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

Samuel Chase was impeached in 1805 for being too partisan and a general shithead. He was impeached by the House but acquitted in his trial in the Senate.

Abe Fortas resigned from the court in the 1960s to avoid impeachment.

Wasn’t he taking bribes?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

His enemies might say the same thing.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

DaveWoo posted:

What would you say if the current Republican Congress started doing this, using similar reasoning?
"We should have beat them to it," is what I'd say.

I'm done waiting around for Republicans to dream up some fresh injustice that the rest of us have to react to. It's time to go on the offensive.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
There's no way that the Dems can get to 67 senators to impeach anyone.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

yronic heroism posted:

There is “precedent” in some banana republic I am sure, but I prefer the rule of law myself.
I've got some bad news for you about how our courts got in their current state, then.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There's no way that the Dems can get to 67 senators to impeach anyone.

Trump just signed their tax scam, what do they need him for anymore?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Reik posted:

I'm referring to the talk of impeaching Gorsuch.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

*wastes a bunch of time in senate impeachment hearings rather than expanding courts/appointing new judges/a million other priorities*

Triggered, Repubs?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Reik posted:

For one thing, any Republican Senator who votes to remove Trump from office is 100% getting primaried hard from the right and they know it, and for another, we're talking about impeaching lovely right-wing federal judges/Supreme Court Justices and no Republican's gonna go along with that.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I assume the thread already knows that the one-vote victory in the virginia house race is now a tie, and that tie is final.

Anyway, they have scheduled the drawing of lots for Wednesday to determine the winner. Apparently they plan to put each candidates name into two old film canisters, put those cans into a bowl, shake it up, and have someone pull out one of the film canisters.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/tied-virginia-house-race-be-decided-drawing-name-out-bowl-n831856

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

10) Revoke the White Vote.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
For my own benefit, I've put this into a calculator and determined what the bi-weekly checks would look like. I get paid twice per month and wanted to know what it's like to see those numbers.

That's $717,680.77 every two weeks. I'm gonna throw up. My take-home is ~400 times smaller than that. Edit: It would take me twelve years to make what they make in two weeks.

scuz fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 22, 2017

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Rigel posted:

I assume the thread already knows that the one-vote victory in the virginia house race is now a tie, and that tie is final.

Anyway, they have scheduled the drawing of lots for Wednesday to determine the winner. Apparently they plan to put each candidates name into two old film canisters, put those cans into a bowl, shake it up, and have someone pull out one of the film canisters.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/tied-virginia-house-race-be-decided-drawing-name-out-bowl-n831856

I'm sure one of those canisters will be stored in the freezer for some weird reason right before it is used.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Kilroy posted:

I've got some bad news for you about how our courts got in their current state, then.

Hey, I get it. You see yourself as the Steve Bannon of the left. Good luck with that.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

yronic heroism posted:

Hey, I get it. You see yourself as the Steve Bannon of the left. Good luck with that.
Okay so if wanting my side to take power and then loving use it to help and defend people and kick evil in the balls makes me Steve loving Bannon, then the left and the Democrats need a lot more "Steve Bannons". They need to be, like, composed entirely of Steve Bannons.

Of course I'm nothing like Steve Bannon, who wants to take power in order to institute genocide, and you're an idiot :rolleyes:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mantis42 posted:

This would solve a lotta problems

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
https://twitter.com/adamgoldmanNYT/status/944283765823737859

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
I mean, would the Democrats even be able to stomach impeaching gorsuch, even if they had the votes? I imagine it would have to depend on how the Mueller investigation turns out. If trump was indeed working for Russia, it could be argued that everything he did would need to be rendered void.

Thing is, there's no real precedent or law on how to fix this stuff, so there'd be a lot of pressure to just "put it all behind us" like what Obama did to W, the whole "look forward not behind" stuff, while there are (possible) Russian agents are in our government.

Also if Republicans ever got power again, I would be concerned they'd just impeach all the judges they don't like. They've already shown their contempt for, well, everything.

This stuff is so confusing. Part of me wishes I never paid such close attention to this stuff.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I'm sure one of those canisters will be stored in the freezer for some weird reason right before it is used.

While your cynicism is well taken, stewardship over this process is undertaken by the State Board of Elections, which is appointed by the Democratic Governor of Virginia and isn't likely to pull any funny business. Sadly.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Just flip a drat coin why is this so complicated.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hey we're not all terrible

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

you really dont want anything to go wrong when using chance to select a winner to a contested race, as any do-overs or mulligans are lawsuit bait

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Kilroy posted:

Especially considering how unrepresentative the Senate already is, and they still had to bend every rule and hold up appointments for years to stack the courts, including the Supreme Court

Wait is the left still pretending that Gorsuch wasn't the direct result of Harry Reid deciding to change Senate rules via simple majority?

Like, woah - who could have forseen a Republican Senate? We never meant for the rules to be abused *this* way, only in a way that benefits us!!

Repeat with a unified Executive and Barack "the phone and the pen" Obama.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I mean it could be related, in the fact that Mueller has met with the NY State Attorney and others at the state level regarding possible future charges in case of pardons.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'd love nothing more than for Democrats to win a supermajority and grind everything Mitch McConnell has done into powder but even if they accomplish the supermajority part, no Dem politician has a fraction of the balls required

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sure. I mean, I'm white like presumably most goons, and I posted the original thing. But, hoo boy are there some bad YTs.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Steve Bannon posted:

Okay so if wanting my side to take power and then loving use it to help and defend people and kick evil in the balls makes me Steve loving Bannon, then the right and the Republicans need a lot more "Steve Bannons". They need to be, like, composed entirely of Steve Bannons.

Of course I'm nothing like Kilroy, who wants to take power in order to institute genocide, and you're an idiot :rolleyes:

Fixed that for you, Steve.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 22, 2017

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Counterpoint: Yes we are.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

a perfectly fair 50:50 chance is bias for non regressives.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

FlamingLiberal posted:

eh, it's still a net positive

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

LaserShark posted:

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/944276638178537472

So, who's this guy and how badly will he lose now that Trump has endorsed him?
DeSantis is a Tea Party rear end in a top hat from the Panhandle (aka South Alabama) who has been a major Trump supporter from early on. I don't believe he can win a statewide race.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

:same:

Straight-D Ticket Whiteboy here, you have nothing to fear from me, please let me vote. In any case, I would be happy just to be considered part of Team Koala March for both gif-related and snack-related reasons.

Mezzanine fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 22, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Wait is the left still pretending that Gorsuch wasn't the direct result of Harry Reid deciding to change Senate rules via simple majority?

:lol:

Horseshit. You'd have to be both naive and stupid to honestly believe that the GOP would have confirmed Merrick Garland to Scalia's seat less than a year before the election.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Let white people vote. Just make our votes only worth 3/5 of a black vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Like, woah - who could have forseen a Republican Senate? We never meant for the rules to be abused *this* way, only in a way that benefits us!!

Repeat with a unified Executive and Barack "the phone and the pen" Obama.

That's total bullshit, as the Democrats were quite clear in marking out the Supreme Court as needing a supermajority. Their interest was in getting government to function at all in the face of stalwart Republican opposition to anything happening under a Democratic government, which is a totally valid goal. Since the Republicans have demonstrated that they're willing to halt government when they're not in power, and run rough-shod over the rules when they are, it's become increasingly clear to many Democrats that participating in any GOP shenanigans is a mistake, even in the interest of good government; hence many Democrats openly calling for defunding.

• Locked thread