Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean it could be related, in the fact that Mueller has met with the NY State Attorney and others at the state level regarding possible future charges in case of pardons.

It most definitely is related. Mueller probably knows going after tax poo poo is best done by the state. Mueller is looking for collusion poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I'd gladly give my vote to a leftist or minority in a red state, if that were possible.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Meatball posted:

I mean, would the Democrats even be able to stomach impeaching gorsuch, even if they had the votes? I imagine it would have to depend on how the Mueller investigation turns out. If trump was indeed working for Russia, it could be argued that everything he did would need to be rendered void.

Thing is, there's no real precedent or law on how to fix this stuff, so there'd be a lot of pressure to just "put it all behind us" like what Obama did to W, the whole "look forward not behind" stuff, while there are (possible) Russian agents are in our government.

Also if Republicans ever got power again, I would be concerned they'd just impeach all the judges they don't like. They've already shown their contempt for, well, everything.

This stuff is so confusing. Part of me wishes I never paid such close attention to this stuff.

Its fun for us to daydream about tossing Gorsuch out for the barest of excuses, but there is not a chance in hell the Dems do that, even if they had an outright 2/3 supermajority and didn't even need the GOP's help.

At that point, it would be easier to just pack the court and expand it to 11 or something.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Mueller is surely laying groundwork for state charges against Trumps cohorts to avoid the obvious.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Wait is the left still pretending that Gorsuch wasn't the direct result of Harry Reid deciding to change Senate rules via simple majority?

Like, woah - who could have forseen a Republican Senate? We never meant for the rules to be abused *this* way, only in a way that benefits us!!

Repeat with a unified Executive and Barack "the phone and the pen" Obama.
The problem isn't confirming an appointment by simple majority. The problem is holding up the process for a loving year so the current President can't carry out his Constitutional duty. You unbelievable loving idiot.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Let white people vote. Just make our votes only worth 3/5 of a black vote.

I'm on board with this proposal. It can last for precisely the amount of time as elapsed between the ratification of the Constitution and the passage of the 13th amendment, so 76 years, and for an additional 99 years white people get full votes but also have to take bullshit literacy tests and get sprayed with water hoses.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

Sure. I mean, I'm white like presumably most goons, and I posted the original thing. But, hoo boy are there some bad YTs.

loving quoted in agreement. The best thing that can happen to white people is to get with POC and have kids who won't be considered white. A couple of generations and we'd be gone.

Edit: Also, kids from interracial couples are just the cutest.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kilroy posted:

The problem isn't confirming an appointment by simple majority. The problem is holding up the process for a loving year so the current President can't carry out his Constitutional duty. You unbelievable loving idiot.

If the Dems somehow retake the Senate next year, I hope Schumer announces that per McConnell's precedent, no further Supreme Court nominees will be considered under this president.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
The amount of weird white guilt in this thread is astounding. Like I get it, old white people are literally trash humans, but just because you were born into a race class doesn't mean you need to constantly bend over backwards apologizing.

Villanize the YTs who still are old and racist. Be the change you want to be. Help PoC where you can. But stop falling over yourselves apologizing for something you cannot change.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Counterpoint: Yes we are.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I agree. Let's just ban anyone born between 1945 and 1960 from voting.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

1945-1965.

Sorry any GenXers caught in that area.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

1945-1965.

Sorry any GenXers caught in that area.

Don't you dare stop at 65', keep going.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Let white people vote. Just make our votes only worth 3/5 of a black vote.

This is more of a positive outcome for the shame of the 3/5ths compromise than you deserve!

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
https://twitter.com/AdamLevitin/status/943924045933838338

At least that statement is honest in its intentions totally betray the CFPBs actual purpose.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Knifegrab posted:

Don't you dare stop at 65', keep going.

1945-2001

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm down with that

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

:lol:

https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/944294707823300608

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Mezzanine posted:

:same:

Straight-D Ticket Whiteboy here, you have nothing to fear from me, please let me vote.

Goons are bad at irony.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Nobody over 75 should have the vote. No skin in the game. They're peacing out and won't have to clean up the mess.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Rigel posted:

Horseshit. You'd have to be both naive and stupid to honestly believe that the GOP would have confirmed Merrick Garland to Scalia's seat less than a year before the election.

In a world where a simple majority vote was off the table? I mean, maybe they wait and get a slightly more conservative centrist, but SCOTUS is still basically right-leaning instead of left leaning today because of Reid's myopic decision.

Kaal posted:

That's total bullshit, as the Democrats were quite clear in marking out the Supreme Court as needing a supermajority.

Exactly what I said: "We're now going to allow the laws to be changed by simple majority, but only *these* laws. *Those other* laws should never be changed because, um... norms, unlike the ones we're violating by changing laws on a simple majority which don't count."

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Nobody over 75 should have the vote. No skin in the game. They're peacing out and won't have to clean up the mess.

If there's an age limit on the lower end I don't see why there shouldn't be one at the upper, tbh.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
If anyone is interested, Mike Cernovich - in another display of his desperate need to be taken seriously and be seen as a "journalist" - is doing an AMA over on Reddit. Thankfully, the shittier elements of Reddit aren't out in force as much as the good elements, so it's actually pretty funny:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/7liww8/im_mike_cernovich_journalist_author_and_filmmaker/

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
You shouldn't be able to hold public office past 65 either. Retire already.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

In a world where a simple majority vote was off the table? I mean, maybe they wait and get a slightly more conservative centrist, but SCOTUS is still basically right-leaning instead of left leaning today because of Reid's myopic decision.

Exactly what I said: "We're now going to allow the laws to be changed by simple majority, but only *these* laws. *Those other* laws should never be changed because, um... norms, unlike the ones we're violating by changing laws on a simple majority which don't count."
No one here is arguing that the Senate should be even more undemocratic than it already is but keep screaming at the trees I guess.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

The senate GOP was being completely unreasonable and Reid was completely correct to do what he did. McConnell wouldn't have treated Garland any better in a world where Reid failed to stand up to GOP obstinance and the only difference would be that Trump had even more vacant CoA seats to fill.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

RiggenBlaque posted:

If anyone is interested, Mike Cernovich - in another display of his desperate need to be taken seriously and be seen as a "journalist" - is doing an AMA over on Reddit. Thankfully, the shittier elements of Reddit aren't out in force as much as the good elements, so it's actually pretty funny:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/7liww8/im_mike_cernovich_journalist_author_and_filmmaker/

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
No one over 30. Period.

Carousel!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
YT guilt going strong

Spicer: If Obama Asked Me To Mow His Lawn, I'd Do It

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
The top comment on that AMA should win awards

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/7liww8/im_mike_cernovich_journalist_author_and_filmmaker/drmmoel/

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
basically all of reddit is lined up to take a swing at thernovith

Reik posted:

The top comment on that AMA should win awards

god drat

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 22, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Yes, we're talking about the same world where the GOP was in an unholy seething rage at having a black man as president, and stopped allowing the Dems to confirm anyone for anything. Once they grabbed the majority, there was no way in hell they were confirming a justice in Obama's last year even if Schumer meekly accepted every single one of the GOP's insane demands.

Their excuse at the time was eliminating non-SCOTUS filibusters, which is an excuse you seem to actually believe for some idiotic reason. In an alternate universe where that didn't happen, they still would not have confirmed Garland, and they didn't need any excuse other than just "gently caress Obama, thats why".

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Oh good, Fox News is getting rid of....... um..... whoever this is.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/james-rosen-out-at-fox-news/352992

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kilroy posted:

Is there precedent for impeaching Justices (or federal judges for that matter) because they make too many terrible decisions and are just bad at the loving job? Could that conceivably pass muster as "not good behavior"?

There's no such precedent and the precedent set by the failed impeachment of Johnson has always been interpreted as being an incompetent rear end who does all the wrong things isn't good enough. But what passes muster is whatever a majority of Congress and 67 Senators says passes muster, the decision to impeach and convict is unreviewable.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

evilweasel posted:

There's no such precedent and the precedent set by the failed impeachment of Johnson has always been interpreted as being an incompetent rear end who does all the wrong things isn't good enough. But what passes muster is whatever a majority of Congress and 67 Senators says passes muster, the decision to impeach and convict is unreviewable.

I occasionally wonder what would happen if a justice was impeached for purely political reasons, and the SCOTUS said "nope, thats neither a high crime nor a misdemeanor, so justice Fuckwit stays." At that point we might slowly devolve into a situation where the court decides whether or not an unelected judge with lifetime tenure can ever be removed which is scary in a democracy.

For now though, yeah I agree, we presume impeachment can't be reviewed.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/7liww8/im_mike_cernovich_journalist_author_and_filmmaker/drmkbii/

quote:

Mike, buddy, big fan, long time listener - my question - how do you wake up every morning and resist the urge to swallow a bullet knowing that your lasting memory on this planet will amount to nothing more than a fecal stain on humanity?

:getin:

Grey Ghost
Nov 25, 2005

If you stare into the Abyss long enough the Abyss stares back at you.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I'm sure one of those canisters will be stored in the freezer for some weird reason right before it is used.

I know you were joking but keeping film in the freezer does allow it to stay fresh long past the expiration date on the carton as it stops any chemical processes present in the emulsion. :science:

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

The senate GOP excuse for refusing to confirm basically any new circuit judges to circuits even vaguely on the brink of becoming more liberal was literally that the courts were underworked and didn't need all the judges they had. Everyone paying attentions knew that was complete nonsense and if anything the federal courts in general are swamped with more business than they can really handle. McConnell wasn't going to confirm any Obama nominee to SCOTUS period.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Mueller is surely laying groundwork for state charges against Trumps cohorts to avoid the obvious.

He may also be "spinning out" related investigations so even if his special counsel title is revoked it's just like cutting off the head of a hydra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

Grey Ghost posted:

I know you were joking but keeping film in the freezer does allow it to stay fresh long past the expiration date on the carton as it stops any chemical processes present in the emulsion. :science:

The drawing needs to be done wearing oven mitts.

• Locked thread