Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Long Francesco posted:

What really annoys me are the inchers and creepers. I really don't understand stopping 2-3 car lengths back so you can sit there and inch forward every second or just creep really slow the whole time until the light changes.

My favorite scenario is when they creep so far forward that they can no longer see the traffic light, and when it finally goes green they sit there until someone blows a horn or the other lane starts moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also 99.9% of the time the ones who creep at the red are the ones who accelerate reeeeally slowly when it finally turns green. I always let creepers open a gap between me and them and I always have to stop short if I speed up normally when the light turns.

You'd think the people who are so impatient they can't come to a full stop would floor it once the light finally turned, but :shrug:

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
I blame creeping on automatics. When I am in my truck with a 5-speed, I don't give a drat if a full car length opens up in front me at a light. I'm not moving. It was worse before I did the clutch a few months ago as it was difficult to even get into 1st.
I usually put it in neutral at lights because I hate riding the clutch.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Meydey posted:

I blame creeping on automatics. When I am in my truck with a 5-speed, I don't give a drat if a full car length opens up in front me at a light. I'm not moving. It was worse before I did the clutch a few months ago as it was difficult to even get into 1st.

I don't move because of the above-mentioned "even if they creep 2-3 car lengths ahead I'm still most likely going to start moving faster than them" but also, when I've had a lovely day, because I know it annoys people behind me to see so much open space in front of my car that I'm not immediately moving to fill.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'll only fill a gap if I get the sense someone in a neighboring lane wants to cram in there.

I don't know how cars can have body language, but they do.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I've seen creepers at lights around here, and yes they are the last one's to put it in gear when the light goes green.

But the behavior that's reaching epidemic proportions is people stopping 1-1.5 (or more!) car lengths back from the line at lights. The lead cars in a lane, I mean. Started a couple years ago and I'd see it once a week, maybe. Someone stops for a red, is an entire SUV length away from the line. OK, whatever. Now, though, it's every day, at every light, every demographic. One or more cars will have left an enormous gap ahead of them. I'll be the only car at the line quite often now. If my car could move 90 degrees right/left I could change lanes without hitting anyone. Honestly it doesn't bother me unless I'm a car back and need to make a right turn and someone's blocking because they didn't pull forward.

It's just weird. I don't understand it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CaptainCrunch posted:

But the behavior that's reaching epidemic proportions is people stopping 1-1.5 (or more!) car lengths back from the line at lights.

This doesn’t explain your epidemic, but I have been told that inebriated drivers do that.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
If you give a reasonable amount of space to the car in front of you at a traffic line, it lets you start moving with less delay. I'll even try to anticipate them going and start to roll when the next car up gets going. Doing that, with cars more spaced out, will get everyone moving faster than stopping really close.

Of course, if you're blocking the entrance to a turn lane/driveway/side street/drivethru window maybe have a little more awareness of your surroundings. That poo poo happened to me yeseterday where I'm a few feet too far back to order lunch and the dipshit in front of me has a 20 foot gap to the next car.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

CaptainCrunch posted:

But the behavior that's reaching epidemic proportions is people stopping 1-1.5 (or more!) car lengths back from the line at lights.

Around here, if people did this, the cars behind would cut around them to fill the space. In traffic, dickheads will sometimes do this anyway, stopping partway into the intersection on the opposite side of the pedestrian crossing.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Driving home for lunch today the Model X in front of me almost floored it directly into 2 small children crossing the street, within the painted lines, with a flashing "WATCH FOR PEDESTRIANS/PEDESTRIANS HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY" sign in the middle of the crosswalk :chloe:

I get the feeling rear-end accidents are going to skyrocket as more and more people get into electric cars with their insane acceleration.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Driving home for lunch today the Model X in front of me almost floored it directly into 2 small children crossing the street, within the painted lines, with a flashing "WATCH FOR PEDESTRIANS/PEDESTRIANS HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY" sign in the middle of the crosswalk :chloe:

I get the feeling rear-end accidents are going to skyrocket as more and more people get into electric cars with their insane acceleration.

Nah, it won't.

It'll just replace the void left by Mustangs

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

jamal posted:

If you give a reasonable amount of space to the car in front of you at a traffic line, it lets you start moving with less delay. I'll even try to anticipate them going and start to roll when the next car up gets going. Doing that, with cars more spaced out, will get everyone moving faster than stopping really close.

Of course, if you're blocking the entrance to a turn lane/driveway/side street/drivethru window maybe have a little more awareness of your surroundings. That poo poo happened to me yeseterday where I'm a few feet too far back to order lunch and the dipshit in front of me has a 20 foot gap to the next car.

I'm not talking about all the cars being spaced reasonably. That's occurring with the sort of randomness I expect from random people on the road. I'm just talking about the people who are "first" in each lane coming to a stop way, way, WAY back from the crosswalk line. Like ludicrously in excess of the normal spacing, compared to the spacing of other vehicles behind them. lovely diagram to illustrate what I'm trying to say.

The very same cars, should they end up 2nd (or further back) car at the next light, will not space themselves as far back. It's just the "first row" cars doing this. Like I said, it's relatively recent, and it's weird.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

iospace posted:

Nah, it won't.

It'll just replace the void left by Mustangs

Someday we'll have electric mustangs. That will be the day humanity goes extinct.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

CaptainCrunch posted:

I'm not talking about all the cars being spaced reasonably. That's occurring with the sort of randomness I expect from random people on the road. I'm just talking about the people who are "first" in each lane coming to a stop way, way, WAY back from the crosswalk line. Like ludicrously in excess of the normal spacing, compared to the spacing of other vehicles behind them. lovely diagram to illustrate what I'm trying to say.

The very same cars, should they end up 2nd (or further back) car at the next light, will not space themselves as far back. It's just the "first row" cars doing this. Like I said, it's relatively recent, and it's weird.

Do you have traffic lights on your side of the crossing or on the opposite side? If they're on your side and high up, people may stop early so they don't have to crane their necks to see when the light turns green

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

CaptainCrunch posted:

See that all the time in LA- it’s the worst when it’s juuuust preventing cars behind them from getting into a turn lane, causing more backups.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm sure i've talked about these 2 specific situations before, but they were cranked up to maximum fuckery today. Here are a few ultra high tech renders.

Me(green) and yellow(fuckheads) both have stop signs. He gets to the stop sign first but has nowhere to go. Of course he waits so i can cross when it is clear from reds(others hosed over by fuckheads)

Nope, drives into the middle of the whole shebang and stops. The fuckhead behind him, seeing that everything is very nearly hosed, decided to join him.

That's all at the closest entrance to a large shopping area, which causes all the blue vehicles in this one to line up in a single lane for 4 blocks to get into it.

It also causes idiots in yellow to pile into the one of 2 turning lanes that turns into that lane, blocking access to the second turning lane they should already be in. This has the bonus of the orange fuckheads who are both inconvenienced by the yellow fuckheads, and in turn doing stupid poo poo to mess with even more people. And of course the mega fuckhead who decides to stop in a green lane to try to get into an advanced turning lane with a red instead of driving another block to the next street.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

wayfinder posted:

Do you have traffic lights on your side of the crossing or on the opposite side? If they're on your side and high up, people may stop early so they don't have to crane their necks to see when the light turns green

All kinds of light arrangements. But mostly opposite sides.

Okan170 posted:

See that all the time in LA- it’s the worst when it’s juuuust preventing cars behind them from getting into a turn lane, causing more backups.
That's exactly where I'm talking about. I'm glad it's not just in my head.That's the exact thing that was annoying me about it too.
Actually, I've had to lay into the horn on a single lane intersection where the dipshit had stopped far back OFF the road sensor. Light control had no idea we were there. That is also annoying.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Long Francesco posted:

That annoys me at certain intersections with really short lights, where you need to cram as many cars into a small space as possible. It's the difference between getting a dozen cars through or half that.

What really annoys me are the inchers and creepers. I really don't understand stopping 2-3 car lengths back so you can sit there and inch forward every second or just creep really slow the whole time until the light changes. Why the gently caress? Just stop where you want to loving stop and go when the light changes for fucks sakes. Moving isn't going to make it change any faster.

Reasons to creep:
1. Your radio station gets static at exactly where you are
2. You're anxious and bored.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

xzzy posted:

I'll only fill a gap if I get the sense someone in a neighboring lane wants to cram in there.

I don't know how cars can have body language, but they do.

Someday I'll see some old lady's huge gap in front of her and parallel park into that lane. I'll only do it to show off to my passengers too.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Platystemon posted:

This doesn’t explain your epidemic, but I have been told that inebriated drivers do that.

It's not just inebriated drivers, I've seen people on phones and especially elderly people doing that. It's almost as if the DMV should be making these idiots retake the driving test and make sure they know what they're doing...

To contribute, it was fun sitting behind some jackass in a Civic last night on my way home, who was doing 25 in a 40. When I passed her, she had both hands up near the top of the wheel, one holding a crumpled piece of paper and the other dialing her cell phone. I legit thought she had some kind of car trouble but nope, the only trouble was sitting between the seat and the loving wheel. I wish future cars could have signal jammers installed to keep people from using their phones at all in the car, period.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
What I see at some intersections is people stopping way the gently caress back of the line because they're apparently terrified that left-turning traffic will cut short and run them over.

More often, I see #2 or 3 in line leaving a space in front of them for the invisible car.

Rarely, I get to see someone stop at or behind the actual stop line, and not enroach on the pedestrian crosswalk. :smith:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

nm posted:

Someday we'll have electric mustangs. That will be the day humanity goes extinct.

The Mustang they should build is a hybrid, with a twin-turbo V6 powering the rear wheels, and an electric system (with driver-operable KERS for maximum awesomeness) driving the front wheels, using the extra space under the hood from not having a V8 in there.

Bam: wickedly powerful, pseudo-AWD hybrid Mustang.

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

What I see at some intersections is people stopping way the gently caress back of the line because they're apparently terrified that left-turning traffic will cut short and run them over.

More often, I see #2 or 3 in line leaving a space in front of them for the invisible car.

Rarely, I get to see someone stop at or behind the actual stop line, and not enroach on the pedestrian crosswalk. :smith:

Where you do live? Usually I see the opposite problem i.e. "Why have they painted these Xs on the road? I think I'll stop on them!" followed by an angry-looking bus driver clearly considering whether he should just shear off the front of their car while making the turn.

There's one spot near where I live where, if you stop on the Xs, there's a railway crossing arm that will land on your car. Seeing cars get smacked by that thing always makes my day, and it happens considerably more often than you'd think.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Meydey posted:

I sit in neutral at lights because I too like not having to replace pilot bearings.

I also like not replacing clutches so unless my car's facing downhill I don't move up.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

StormDrain posted:

Someday I'll see some old lady's huge gap in front of her and parallel park into that lane. I'll only do it to show off to my passengers too.

Pervert.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PT6A posted:

The Mustang they should build is a hybrid, with a twin-turbo V6 powering the rear wheels, and an electric system (with driver-operable KERS for maximum awesomeness) driving the front wheels, using the extra space under the hood from not having a V8 in there.

Bam: wickedly powerful, pseudo-AWD hybrid Mustang.

They said they're bringing a hybrid mustang in 2020, and the GT350 mysteriously had splined front hubs.

e: encounted a Hyundai in the Audi parking, get a little bit of leather and they think it's german.

Didn't even have the decency to put his 4 way flashers on.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 23, 2017

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Wait there are people who just sit in first gear with their clutch down at red lights?

Why would you do that?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

Wait there are people who just sit in first gear with their clutch down at red lights?

Why would you do that?

Habit, mostly. And forgetfulness. Shifting into neutral is a positive action, a lot of people just zone out and don't think to do it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

Why would you do that?

If you get rammed from behind and black out there won't be a car rolling through the intersection in neutral.

I was taught the vehicle should always be in gear, no matter what. :shrug:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah I hear the Europeans love to be on that clutch pedal all the time. They can't be THAT wrong.

Everyone yells "But, your throwout bearing!" But I haven't driven stick long enough to see which will need maintenance first, my clutch or the bearing.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

The Ferret King posted:

Yeah I hear the Europeans love to be on that clutch pedal all the time. They can't be THAT wrong.

Everyone yells "But, your throwout bearing!" But I haven't driven stick long enough to see which will need maintenance first, my clutch or the bearing.

I have never had to replace the thrust bearing before replacing a clutch and do both at the same time. This is on cars driven hard and used for bumper to bumper commuting.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
(European)
My girlfriend got told to always leave it in gear and sit with the clutch pushed in. I do both, depending on the situation. If I know that the intersection takes a long time I'll leave it in neutral, if I know it'll be like 10 seconds to green, or something, I'll leave it pushed in.
Never cars with start and stop (at least Volvos do) require you to have it in neutral and foot off clutch. My guess is that it doesn't really matter that much in the end. I drove my old car for 100k km, up to 240k km, and I don't think it ever had a clutch job or bearing. Certainly not while I had it. I have a feeling that the people that need the clutch changed often in normal cars have a tendency to ride the clutch and apply too much gas while riding it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BigPaddy posted:

I have never had to replace the thrust bearing before replacing a clutch and do both at the same time. This is on cars driven hard and used for bumper to bumper commuting.

Yeah. There's no reason keeping the transmission declutched would wear the throwout bearing any more than just shifting normally would.

But if you habitually keep the clutch pedal pressed at a light you might let off slightly and not keep it pressed all the way, allowing the clutch plate to make slight contact and wearing it down.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
The clutch plate fingers always used to wear hard against my bearing. No idea if rotary specific, heavy clutch specific or what. I upgraded or drive train swapped pretty frequently so it didn't matter - no premature failure but I think but there's no way the bearing and fingers would have lasted as long as the normal friction disc wear rate accepted on most standard cars.

Eifert Posting posted:

Why would you do that?

Because it's 30 years ago with less lights, faster cycle time, less traffic. No way I'd do that now unless a killdozer was sweeping the road in front of me from all the inattentive and slow fucks

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 23, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Eifert Posting posted:

Why would you do that?

I've heard you get in trouble in the UK driving test if you don't do that when stopped. I guess the idea is to make it faster to take off again if you're about to get rear-ended.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
That's what the handbrake is for.

I can put the car in gear, release the handbrake, and still be as fast off the mark as most of those people inching forwards all the time. Usually faster. It's not exactly difficult to predict most traffic lights, and if you're in the middle of a queue you're not exactly going anywhere unexpectedly anyway.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I've heard you get in trouble in the UK driving test if you don't do that when stopped. I guess the idea is to make it faster to take off again if you're about to get rear-ended.

When you are stopped you are supposed to go into neutral and apply the handbrake. Holding your foot on the brake is a failure.

The stuff on the test is mostly forgotten once you have your license. For example I have not had to reverse up a blind corner on a hill since my test in 2001 :v:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I put it in neutral at lights and I drive an automatic.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
(European) Driving schools here tend to suggest to keep in gear if the pause is small and shutting down the engine with hazards if the pause is long. Most people living in a town with variable inclination learns the hard way to hand brake+neutral on old cars, people with flat roads tends to sleep on the clutch.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Some cars suffer premature wear on the crank thrust bearings from the clutch being pressed in, which is thankfully rare, but "correct" practice is handbrake on, gearbox in neutral, clutch up and foot off the pedals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

SlowBloke posted:

(European) Driving schools here tend to suggest to keep in gear if the pause is small and shutting down the engine with hazards if the pause is long. Most people living in a town with variable inclination learns the hard way to hand brake+neutral on old cars, people with flat roads tends to sleep on the clutch.

How is it a good idea to recommend shutting the engine down and putting hazards on as standard practice at a stoplight? It gives you reduced ability to evade if someone comes flying up behind your or an emergency vehicle needs to pass, and also seems like it would send a signal that your car is inoperable and people should proceed around you.