Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Stephenls posted:

After Dark Mechanicum, please.

Don't say this. I'm day one in if they ever put out insane too detailed dark mechanicum kits. That's painting I don't need in my queue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Strobe posted:

I'm really hoping that we end up with the Fallen being the next big semi/Chaos faction and getting a full Codex. There are enough gameplay mechanics for units with the <Fallen> keyword in the DA codex that it'd be really dumb to continue having the exactly one unit that nobody cares about. Plus, we've also gotten some fluff indications that the number of Fallen is "nearly Legion strength". Luther's escape, plus the Lion, plus the Fallen, could very well be the next big thing.

I think the coolest, best-case scenario thing, is that Fallen would be like VotLW in the 6th Ed Chaos book, just a modifier you can apply to existing units.

A campaign about the Unforgiven and the Fallen would be rad as hell, and it's certainly hinted at with repeated references to Luther and his Shitload of Fallen, but I'll believe it when I see it. Right now Inner Circle is almost worthless since other than a largely-pointless morale bonus (most Inner Circle units are solos that don't care about Ld, and the rest are, are like, grats on auto-passing a test that would have cost you 0-1 guys, after a re-rollable check against Ld9), it's just a re-roll against a sub-faction that barely exists.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
You'd hope they would actually finish the normal Mechanicum range before releasing Dark Mechanicum. They have some pretty major holes.

kommisar
Jan 2, 2007

briefly lived the dream earlier by killing Draigo and another grand master on the bottom of turn one with a death company, artisan of war, angel winged captain. It took like 6 cp's and he was gunned down the next turn but it was all worth it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm new to 40k, and it seems like 8th edition shakes things up a fair bit with Chapter Approved and all that so maybe you guys are as in the dark as I am. Is 40k like Warmachine, Malifaux, or any other minis game released since 40k existed where new units/models will come out for armies that already have books? Or is Imperial Guard for instance always going to have what's in their book and nothing else will ever change until 9th edition (which is... when?) except for point costs in Chapter Approved 2 or whatever?

kommisar
Jan 2, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm new to 40k, and it seems like 8th edition shakes things up a fair bit with Chapter Approved and all that so maybe you guys are as in the dark as I am. Is 40k like Warmachine, Malifaux, or any other minis game released since 40k existed where new units/models will come out for armies that already have books? Or is Imperial Guard for instance always going to have what's in their book and nothing else will ever change until 9th edition (which is... when?) except for point costs in Chapter Approved 2 or whatever?

Historically that's been the case that no new releases will come out until a new codex but we're all in new territory here. I wouldn't be surprised if they released new units once all (most) of the codex's (codeci?) are out.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Pendent posted:

You'd hope they would actually finish the normal Mechanicum range before releasing Dark Mechanicum. They have some pretty major holes.

It'd be sweet if some of the smaller factions got more stuff but I don't really see gw doing the massive army list model again, tbh

GSC are pretty woeful in terms of variety but you can use IG and Tyranids, it'd just be cool if they added more unique stuff

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

kommisar posted:

briefly lived the dream earlier by killing Draigo and another grand master on the bottom of turn one with a death company, artisan of war, angel winged captain. It took like 6 cp's and he was gunned down the next turn but it was all worth it.

Taking a break from playing over the holidays but as soon as I'm back I'm taking my captain on a LoW hunting expedition. I want at least a couple primarch kills before February

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

BJPaskoff posted:

They've committed to putting rules into packaging specifically to get away from releases being tied to codex releases. After all the codex books are out I'm expecting either waves of releases for armies themed around campaign supplements, or simply smaller but more frequent releases aimed at keeping interest in each army up.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 22, 2017

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Did the new Marbo come out yet? He was added after the book right?

Gilgameshback posted:

I played a game today at a local store and the store owner told my opponent and me that we were using "too much terrain." I mentioned that having plenty of line of sight blocking terrain lessened the first-turn advantage and made the game more balanced. He said that having lots of terrain was against the rules, and that if we wanted to play in a "serious" way we should have very few pieces of terrain on the table.

Page 186 of rulebook, just after the core rules under : FIGHTING A BATTLE -> THE BATTLEFIELD

So, if you had 1-2 piece per 1/6th the board, or something in the range of 6-12 total "pieces" (which I read as a full forest, a Single/Double-Corner ruins, or like a lot of shipping crates are all one "piece") then you were literally as written, but even the rules say you can go a lite over or under as needed.

Feel free to point this out next game.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Gilgameshback posted:

I played a game today at a local store and the store owner told my opponent and me that we were using "too much terrain." I mentioned that having plenty of line of sight blocking terrain lessened the first-turn advantage and made the game more balanced. He said that having lots of terrain was against the rules, and that if we wanted to play in a "serious" way we should have very few pieces of terrain on the table.

Rest safe in the knowledge that he's a complete idiot who knows not of what he speaks. If he challenges you, tell him I said he's wrong.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
hams are the loving worst

worse than star wars fans even

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

adamantium|wang posted:

hams are the loving worst

worse than star wars fans even

Warhammer fans didn't edit an actor's wikipedia page to be racist at her, so somehow I think the people playing Fascist Barbie have one up on Star Wars nerds.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

The Deleter posted:

Warhammer fans didn't edit an actor's wikipedia page to be racist at her, so somehow I think the people playing Fascist Barbie have one up on Star Wars nerds.

If you think star wars fans have a monopoly on being racist, uh...

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

If you think star wars fans have a monopoly on being racist, uh...

I'm not THAT naive. I'm just saying 40k shitbirds aren't as visible as Star Wars shitbirds.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

The Deleter posted:

I'm not THAT naive. I'm just saying 40k shitbirds aren't as visible as Star Wars shitbirds.

They definitely are, but they're more of the 'The Wehrmacht Did Nothing Wrong' sort.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Boon posted:

Eh, I don't agree. Eldar, especially Reapers, benefit from big squads for some of the stratagems. Forcing smaller squads cuts that advantage by a great deal.

But I'd be just fine if they went up a couple of points a model - GW will probably break Reaper spam though, not curb it

You’re probably right that cutting max size to five would curb some of the worst nonsense. My assumption is that people are tagging guide on them then using word of the phoenix to double shoot, which is kind of ridiculous as long as there are suitable high value targets to point them at. It does vary a lot based on opposition though - it’s incredible if your opponent has multiple stormravens, valuable t7 vehicles or primaris squads on the board (for example), but a lot more disappointing if they’re shooting at either lower value targets or t8 vehicles (they’ll crater one per turn reliably, but this is most of the output of a quarter of your army).

5 max weakens that a lot, and means you get, as you say, less value from strategems - the really annoying thing about the ten blob is that you can webway strike them in, meaning they guaranteed get a full round of shooting unless your opponent can trigger an intercept strategem.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
So I just had my first ever pick up game of 40K with my brand new Ynnari Eldar Wraithsy army that I've never ever played before. While I haven't played many games of 40K in general so far, this was exactly the kind of awesome down-to-the-wire poo poo that I was hoping I'd experience going into this hobby.

My army: A sleek, high-tech and intricately planned and theorycrafted Ynnari list, designed around an unstoppably devastating alpha strike wherein 10 wraithguard with D-Scythes deep strike in and rip the beating heart of the opponent's army. Intricately painted with complex blends and elaborate freehand.
His army: A bunch of random Eldar crap he literally had thrown together into a big cardboard box and stuffed in a backpack. No foam, it was just out there. It was pretty Thin Your Paints.jpg even before it had started flaking of on account of being in a big unsecured box in a backpack.

He had Asurmen, an Avatar of Khaine, Illic Nightspear, a Farseer, a Spiritseer, a Warlock on a jetbike, 6 Dire Avengers, 10 Guardians, 6 dark reapers, 5 wraithblades with axes, and 5 rangers. Literally a random pile of stuff.
I had 10x Wraithguard with D-scythes, 5x Wraithblades with swords, Yvraine, a Farseer, two Spiritseers, three Wraithlords, a Wave Serpent and a Death Jester. Svelte, synergistic, complimentary - an army with a plan.

Turn two the plan went off. The Wraithblades disembarked from the wave serpent and the wraithguard teleported in. A Quicken got the Wraithguard into D-Scythe range and my psykers hit my own Wraithblades with Fortune, Ancestor's Grace and Empower, and his Wraithblades with Doom. Hitting on 3s, rerolling 1's, wounding on 3's rerolling all failures - every piece of the puzzle was there and he had fallen into my trap. I made the charge.

I put two wounds on the fuckers.

Protect on axe wraithblades is pretty good. T6 3++ is... nasty.

He proceeded to butcher my WB, dumpster my Wave Serpent, and knock a few models off my Wraithguard. My big counter was unloading a shitload of Smites on his Wraithblades which managed to gut the unit down to almost nothing. But this is when I saw my chance arise. I still had seven Wraithguard in the middle of his formation, the Dire Avengers had a single model left in the unit and by this point Asurmen was down to a single wound. I could fire my Wraithguard in all directions, wipe either Asurmen or the Dire Avenger, and then Soulburst for a second round and kill his Avatar.

Three WG fired D-scythes at Asurmen. Two fired D-Scythes at the Dire Avenger. Two fired at his Dark Reapers. A D-Scythe is a pretty good weapon, you know? Hits d3 times automatically, strength 10, AP-4. They're reliable weapons, about as sure a thing as a gun in this game can be.

Killed nothing. Well. That's XCOM!

Okay, so the plan was ruined but it was okay. I could still salvage this. I just had the WG charge Asurmen, and Yvraine charged the Dire Avenger. I understood that Asurmen had a 3+ Invulnerable in melee and it was possible I might not kill him - but Yvraine would definitely kill a single Dire Avenger, right?

Well, she did! But then he command point rerolled his invulnerable save and made it. This was the only command point he'd spent the entire battle.

My entire plan fell apart like wet cardboard. The Avatar strolled through and killed all my Wraithguard. The battle was his.

The war was mine, though. I'd spent the entire game camped out on all the victory points with my Wraithlords while he focused on destroying my army and there was no time for him to finish the job because the shop was closing.

It was a fantastic match and the guy was awesome fun (as horrified as I am at his Backpack Full Of Miniatures). It came right down to the wire - I had a brilliant plan, perfectly mapped out weeks in advance, and the opportunity to pull it off came perfectly when 400 points of elite superheavy infantry in the centre of his formation had the opportunity to fire their murderguns twice... and the plan was thwarted by a single spooky dude in gaudy armour backflipping over a comical quantity of laser beams. It was the most Eldar way I possibly could have lost that fight, and the most Eldar way he could have possibly won it.

40K owns.

Thanqol fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Dec 22, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Thanqol posted:

His army: A bunch of random Eldar crap he literally had thrown together into a big cardboard box and stuffed in a backpack. No foam, it was just out there. It was pretty Thin Your Paints.jpg even before it had started flaking of on account of being in a big unsecured box in a backpack.

This makes me feel physically ill jfc

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BJPaskoff posted:

They've already added new units that aren't in the book. Stores celebrating their birthday sell a Primaris Captain with Power Fist and Plasma Pistol, which is a completely separate unit and is not in the SM Codex. The rules are in the box.

GW is doing this because if they release rules for models that don't exist it opens up an opportunity for third party groups to make and sell something. I would definitely expect to see more units.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Corrode posted:

Rest safe in the knowledge that he's a complete idiot who knows not of what he speaks. If he challenges you, tell him I said he's wrong.

He also shared many other completely wrong or made up rules so I came to the same conclusion. I don't know how a person could have such a poor grasp of such a short ruleset, but hams are always full of surprises.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Page 186 of rulebook, just after the core rules under : FIGHTING A BATTLE -> THE BATTLEFIELD

So, if you had 1-2 piece per 1/6th the board, or something in the range of 6-12 total "pieces" (which I read as a full forest, a Single/Double-Corner ruins, or like a lot of shipping crates are all one "piece") then you were literally as written, but even the rules say you can go a lite over or under as needed.

Feel free to point this out next game.

We were definitely within these very loose and permissive guidelines. It was my first time in this particular store so I didn't really want to tell the owner that he had no idea what he was talking about, but if I ever go back I will.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
So, I've noticed we have a much larger number of goons going to Adepticon this year. If you guys are interested in a GoonMeet go ahead and send me a PM and I'll get a list of contacts thrown together.

In 2016 Boon was the only goon I was able to track down, and 2017 I ran into a total of three goons.

This year I'll have a posse of 16-20 individuals representing my 40k "team" and I know Naramyth will have something close to that in addition to whichever goons make themselves known. I doubt everyone will want to do the same thing, but maybe we can get some sort of meeting worked out. I am sure everyone will have different schedules and availabilities.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Uroboros posted:

So, I've noticed we have a much larger number of goons going to Adepticon this year. If you guys are interested in a GoonMeet go ahead and send me a PM and I'll get a list of contacts thrown together.

In 2016 Boon was the only goon I was able to track down, and 2017 I ran into a total of three goons.

This year I'll have a posse of 16-20 individuals representing my 40k "team" and I know Naramyth will have something close to that in addition to whichever goons make themselves known. I doubt everyone will want to do the same thing, but maybe we can get some sort of meeting worked out. I am sure everyone will have different schedules and availabilities.

I'll be there, mostly doing painting classes so I probably won't have time to play a GoonHamGame or whatever but would stop in to say hi at least.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
What's the best way for Nids to deal with a bubblewrapped baneblade? I feel confident with anything else guard brings, but the limited antitank is making me fret.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

The greatest thing ever would be if GW released Dark Mechanicum, complete with flyers, more robots and transports, before releasing anything else for the Ad Mech line.

I'd probably just toss all my poo poo in a bin.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zuul the Cat posted:

The greatest thing ever would be if GW released Dark Mechanicum, complete with flyers, more robots and transports, before releasing anything else for the Ad Mech line.

I'd probably just toss all my poo poo in a bin.

Dual kits for both loyalist and traitor forces.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

JoshTheStampede posted:

I'll be there, mostly doing painting classes so I probably won't have time to play a GoonHamGame or whatever but would stop in to say hi at least.

I think an after hours thing might be the best time.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Mine and muggins games is tentatively scheduled for Saturday evening, after 6pm.

"after hours" in adepticon time can mean after midnight.

E: totally open to blowing that up to a goon free for all.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Uroboros posted:

Sent m8

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

SpikeMcclane posted:

What's the best way for Nids to deal with a bubblewrapped baneblade? I feel confident with anything else guard brings, but the limited antitank is making me fret.

6 Hive Guard, preferably Kronos, double tapping with SMA.

Prions!
Jun 30, 2010
I've been tempted by Death Guard or Tyranids armies recently, got the champion model as a tester and painted him to see how they look.

Prions! fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 22, 2017

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Prions! posted:

I've been tempted by Death Guard or Tyranids armies recently, got the champion model as a tester and painted him to see how they look.

I messed about with the white balance. Still not perfect, but it gives a better look.

Model looks great.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?
Hey all, I have a friend who's interested in getting into Grey Knights: I have absolutely no idea what to suggest for getting started though, and they don't have a "Start Collecting" box, anyone have any suggestions on where to begin?

We're talking up to 1000 points, as that's the "standard" in our growing community right now. :)

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Prions! posted:

Nice job dude. The new Death Guard stuff is nice and you've done good work here.

Also I loving love that Nurgling with the helmet.

I played 1500pts today, using the Marine list I posted upthread:

Captain
LT w/ Teeth of Terra
2x Dreads, LC/ML
1x Dread, TWAC
2x 5 Scouts, bolters
1x 10 Intercessors
2x 3 Inceptors
1x 5 Devs, 4 LCs

CoCo, Grand Strategist/Kurov's Aquila
2x Infantry, plasma guns
Eversor

It worked great. Inceptors are so loving good now that you can afford to put them in a list and still have an army. Dreads are as capable as ever. Teeth of Terra continues to be goddamn amazing, it's hard to understand how that absolute gift of a relic is in the same book as the rest of the lacklustre SM ones.

I did have a huge advantage that my opponent's list wasn't the most competitive, and that we rolled up the Chapter Approved Maelstrom mission where you have 3 cards + kill points so my fairly small, tough army was picking up tons of points massacring Guard infantry. I took a bunch of pictures, but we played on a pure white board which is always tough to get good looking photos out of. Both armies were fully painted, which is refreshing.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
What's the largest legal vehicle in the entire game, out of curiosity?

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 22, 2017

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Define "legal"...

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

Teeth of Terra continues to be goddamn amazing, it's hard to understand how that absolute gift of a relic is in the same book as the rest of the lacklustre SM ones.

If I ever complain about a free 3++ that denies the witch please just kill me.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Farecoal posted:

Define largest, manta has a huge wingspan but the warlord has more mass I think.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Artum posted:

If I ever complain about a free 3++ that denies the witch please just kill me.

Do you see any Ultramarines in those pictures my dude

E: tbh though looking at the relics again they're better than I remember.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Farecoal posted:

https://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2009/9/28/55895_md-Games%20Day%2C%20Games%20Day%202009%2C%20Imperiator%2C%20Titan.JPG