Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

This independent comic was released by established PNW comickeer Donna Barr for the 2017 winter season. The excerpts provided above are provided for academic purposes and for the sake of providing an informed review.

The art in this comic is quintessential modern Barr. I am especially impressed by the note on the endpage that explains this comic was done in freehand. There are very few artists who are able to draw elk, rhinoceroses, and most particularly these beautiful horses without so much as an underlying sketch. The animals are vivacious and expressive. Every page exemplifies her strong compositional sensibilities.

I was also taken by the non-linear structure in which case footprints may appear on the page prior. This zine can be enjoyed by any route the reader selects, even right-to-left, as may be more comfortable for those who are accustomed to Eastern comics. As such, there is a range of potential page orders and a reader can explore. The reader is free to find their preferred narrative mode.

The metaphors in this zine range from the familiar to the exotic. While everyone has seen a bear, it is not everyone who considers the unique perspective of the metaphorically Jewish rhinoceros. That said, there is a perhaps overly equine dimension to most of the animals we see. Though there are Jewish birds and fish, we are not given insight into the challenges of the Jewish invertebrate. That said, it is comforting that she remembered to be broad-based in this respect, as we often see a preponderance of mammals in "animal-metaphor" works such as Animal Farm and The Animals of Farthing Wood.

The binding is well-done for a small run comic. The printing is crisp and the yellow cover stock is sturdy. The construction of this zine means it can last without special handling instructions. The zine itself is 12 pages, not including the front and back (which present the title and the author information, respectively).

Animal Jews by Donna Barr, 2017

They're $2 ea plus s/h ($5 in the USA for any amount of zines I think) to donnabarr01@gmail.com if you would like a copy yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I recommend this comic for artists, indie comics enthusiasts, and as a most exceptional white elephant gift exchange selection.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Please order me 500 copies,

Tia

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Good to see Donna Barr is still 100% crazy and obsessed with horses and nazis

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh poo poo the bears have seen our photos

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Good to see Donna Barr is still 100% crazy and obsessed with horses and nazis

For anyone tuning in, Donna Barr literally suffered an axe head wound as a child to which she credits her originality.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Animals aren't circumcized and thus cannot be Jewish.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
My animal..............is a JEWWWW :smug:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Also comparing Jewish people to animals is problematic, to say the least.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I believe these are actually what are known as "comix"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

Also comparing Jewish people to animals is problematic, to say the least.

Oh man, you really need to explore you some Donna Barr.

She also invited the creator of Antique White House to her small comic-con, which is amazing, because "Diana Kennedy" loves JFK* like Donna Barr loves Rommel. I don't know what that way is because I am not sure it can be explained with words that we can understand.

*a version of JFK that rides horses on the moon and has married multiple elves

Pick fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 22, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

how does she square the Jewish horses with the well-established Barr fact that all centaurs are Nazis?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

how does she square the Jewish horses with the well-established Barr fact that all centaurs are Nazis?

TECHNICALLY her showstopper Stinz is pre-Nazi because he's WWI-era German.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

These are unjustifiably bad. Am I missing something?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

These are unjustifiably bad. Am I missing something?

Donna Barr owns, dumbass.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Pick posted:

Donna Barr owns, dumbass.

I respectfully disagree.

I am giving this thread a 3, because based off the title it could have been waaaaay worse than a bunch of animals with the star of david branded on their asses.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I respectfully disagree.

I am giving this thread a 3, because based off the title it could have been waaaaay worse than a bunch of animals with the star of david branded on their asses.

It is you who is wrong.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pick posted:

It is you who is wrong.

I'm the dude screaming GENEVA CONVENTION

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yeah no offense, I get that you like the artist and all, but comparing animals to jews is kinda iffy, and I usually can joke about a lot of stuff.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

These read like those parody comics Alan Moore would put in-between chapters of the league of extraordinary gentlemen, only the punchline is that the author is a crazy woman. Well, Alan Moore is crazy too but he found better cover.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

These read like those parody comics Alan Moore would put in-between chapters of the league of extraordinary gentlemen, only the punchline is that the author is a crazy woman. Well, Alan Moore is crazy too but he found better cover.

Yeah and dr manhattan at least hangs dong

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Yeah and dr manhattan at least hangs dong

There is a shocking lack of centaur dongs in those comics.

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Its not a good comparison because most people like animals, Hitler was a vegetarian even

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

Where did you get that idea?

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Who What Now posted:

I think its because the artist cant render circumcision in an accurate manner. Thus, to preserve the authenticity of a proper ninja centaur, no dong is hung.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

I'm the dude screaming GENEVA CONVENTION

She will teach you how to draw a horse, and she does a good job. Does the Geneva Convention prevent you from learning to draw a horse? Get real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-5dIGJQyHg

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Is this the natural terminus of all those "sonic converting to christianity" things the kids are into nowadays

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I think its because the artist cant render circumcision in an accurate manner. Thus, to preserve the authenticity of a proper ninja centaur, no dong is hung.

That brings up an "interesting" question of what constitutes a foreskin on a horse and how, or how much, you would remove it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

That brings up an "interesting" question of what constitutes a foreskin on a horse and how, or how much, you would remove it.
dont

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Is this the natural terminus of all those "sonic converting to christianity" things the kids are into nowadays

Donna has been publishing since the 80s.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Hey, I didn't make the covenant with the Lord, I just enforce it.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Can we make this the gbs alt text please

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Can we make this the gbs alt text please

as if we didn't already have enough furries in gbs

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Creamed Cormp posted:

yeah no offense, I get that you like the artist and all, but comparing animals to jews is kinda iffy, and I usually can joke about a lot of stuff.

It would be difficult to explain why Donna Barr is different but suffice to say I've met her several times and her standard is one unique to her.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pick posted:

It would be difficult to explain why Donna Barr is different but suffice to say I've met her several times and her standard is one unique to her.

Standard for what?

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Standard for what?

loving hell, what about this is so hard to understand?!

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants

Creamed Cormp posted:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Creamed Cormp posted:

as if we didn't already have enough furries in gbs

Watch the horse drawing video, you'll get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Horse dad broke his leg and needs to be put down. Son, as the new man of the house it's your duty. *hands over loaded shotgun*

• Locked thread