Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

So in other words they're idiots?

I don't see how it would work, but then again, I don't see how Republicans pass and Trump signs any DACA legislation at all.

I know Trump said he supports DACA but I think that was another lie. Maybe Trump would do it for the Wall, but should Democrats trade the Wall for DACA?l

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Badger of Basra posted:

Shutting down the government is a tactic and DACA is a good reason to use it imo

Treating the government as some weak needless thing and making it's services random and untrustworthy by mostly punishing rank and file random government workers is like the most right wing plan imaginable. It doesn't hurt your enemies in any way to shut down the government, they generally hate and seek to shut down the exact list of things that would be shut down.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Especially considering the chance congress funds "essential services" because Democrats won't want to be on the hook for sending the FBI and FAA home, this shutdown could last months once it starts. Trump doesn't need federal funds to do what he wants in office, so why would he concede anything?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

If you shut down the government, no more ICE either! Sounds good to me.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
My perfect plan to harm the republicans: lets shut down the smithsonian and halt food inspection programs, next we will stop political asylum applications for immigrants and end WIC. We will definitely have them on the ropes then! The right wing will be BEGGING to do what we ask once the head start program becomes unfunded and the people processing social security applications are working without paychecks!

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
DACA is popular. CHIP is popular. Things the government does are popular. Threatening and following through with a shut down where the Republicans will have to explicitly say they are against CHIP and DACA is good politics. It is one of the few instances where the politically expedient thing to do and the right thing to do are the same.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm super certain that all those Dreamers and the communities they belong to will be super understanding and totally accept these impeccable reasons as for why the Dems had to throw them under the bus, and I'm sure that immigrant communities will just be bursting with enthusiasm to reward the Dems at the ballot box for their principled decision to not even try.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

My perfect plan to harm the republicans: lets shut down the smithsonian and halt food inspection programs, next we will stop political asylum applications for immigrants and end WIC. We will definitely have them on the ropes then! The right wing will be BEGGING to do what we ask once the head start program becomes unfunded and the people processing social security applications are working without paychecks!

Are you suggesting that if Democrats shut down the government the Republicans will keep it shut down in perpetuity?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

See that's why this sucks, ICE will certainly continue to arrest people but you won't be able to get a Social Security appointment.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.fbc2df11f3e3

It's such a no brainer for those democrats to support a shutdown! We kill children, republicans back down, because we all know republicans love children getting government health care.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Badger of Basra posted:

Are you suggesting that if Democrats shut down the government the Republicans will keep it shut down in perpetuity?

The suggestion that the GOP are stealth anarchists is kind of a new one, tbf.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

Dismantling the federal government has been the GOP goal for decades. Don't confuse destruction of the federal government for anarchism, lest the sheriff and his boys have to teach you a lesson in respect.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.fbc2df11f3e3

It's such a no brainer for those democrats to support a shutdown! We kill children, republicans back down, because we all know republicans love children getting government health care.

As opposed to dreamers and kids on CHIP, which we are totally OK with throwing under the bus.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Like, have none of you brain geniuses even considered that if the GOP was so chafing at the bit to shut down the government as you say they could do it themselves.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Cerebral Bore posted:

The suggestion is that the parts of the government legally marked as "non essensial" is a lot more democratic darlings than republican ones. And a threat of "government shutdown (but mostly the stuff republicans didn't like anyway)" is not the ultra super trump card against a republican congress that it is against the a democratic congress.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Don't forget about processing federal student loan discharges from the Corinthian Colleges fiasco. If they government is shutdown there is no one to deny the loan discharge.

Badger of Basra posted:

Most of homeland security is immune to a shutdown.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

Like, have none of you brain geniuses even considered that if the GOP was so chafing at the bit to shut down the government as you say they could do it themselves.

You're right, they're trying to just shutdown the part they hate first and keep the handouts for big business at the same time. But if they don't get that, some of the House caucus is already calling for a shutdown.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Cerebral Bore posted:

Why have the Republicans shutdown the government when the Democrats promised to shut down the government for you?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I think Democrats should still try and shut down the government rather than pass a permanent CR or budget without DACA, but I have no illusions that this shutdown will be clearly blamed on Republicans.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

karthun posted:

Why have the Republicans shutdown the government when the Democrats promised to shut down the government for you?

I know you're dumb, but I didn't know you were this dumb. They'd do it because they want it to happen. Which is what you lot are literally claiming.

Trabisnikof posted:

You're right, they're trying to just shutdown the part they hate first and keep the handouts for big business at the same time. But if they don't get that, some of the House caucus is already calling for a shutdown.

The fact that they haven't done it yet means that the leadership doesn't think it's worth it. Which means the threat of a shutdown gives the dems leverage. This shouldn't be hard to grasp.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

karthun posted:

The list of "things the government shutdown actually harms" and the list of "stuff republicans want to shut down" are like a near perfect circle.

Like the only thing I can find that isn't on the list of "things republicans would cut anyway" is that eventually the government shutdown would impact the ability to get certain gun licences.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
A government shutdown would be bad. Not finding a solution for DACA and CHIP would be worse.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The list of "things the government shutdown actually harms" and the list of "stuff republicans want to shut down" are like a near perfect circle.

Like the only thing I can find that isn't on the list of "things republicans would cut anyway" is that eventually the government shutdown would impact the ability to get certain gun licences.

So why haven't they done it already, ya dingus?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
"We'll let 9 million children lose their healthcare and we will destroy the lives of close to a million young adults, but that is a small price to pay to avoid the risk of maybe being partially blamed for a government shutdown"

I sincerely think that if democrats are this spineless that you will see several third party candidates running against democrats who go along with it. Hell, there is already a ton of democrats pissed off that things were kicked down the road to january.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 23, 2017

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I can't imagine the marginal voter who changes their vote because of a government shutdown in a world where Roy Moore got 49.5% of the vote.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
"Republicans just worked together to pass this gigantic corporate wealth-care tax bill with absolutely no form of Democrat help at any step of the way. Now they want to blame Democrats because they can't vote to keep the government running or save DACA and CHIP?"

This poo poo is not hard...if you actually want to fight for it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ron Jeremy posted:

I can't imagine the marginal voter who changes their vote because of a government shutdown in a world where Roy Moore got 49.5% of the vote.

It's not about changing votes, it's about turning out your base. Depressing your base by not fighting for important things reduces turnout.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One day the Democrats will say to the Republicans "in exchange for loving over this vulnerable group, I hope that you will extend to us the benefit of not loving over this other vulnerable group." The Republicans will then say "Thank you for your show of good faith. I appreciate it and will do this favor for you." They will then firmly shake hands, look each other in the eye, and smile because they have both crossed the aisle this day in the interests of the greater good.

It is this dream - this beautiful, ephemeral dream - that motivates John McDemocrat to get up each morning. That some day a future will come when a bunch of rich old white men will join hands and act for the benefit of all rich old white men, regardless of political creed.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

joepinetree posted:

"We'll let 9 million children lose their healthcare and we will destroy the lives of close to a million young adults, but that is a small price to pay to avoid the risk of maybe being partially blamed for a government shutdown"

I sincerely think that if democrats are this spineless that you will see several third party candidates running against democrats who go along with it. Hell, there is already a ton of democrats pissed off that things were kicked down the road to january.

CHIP is safe for six months

If the Dems don't fight for DACA in January I'll be annoyed but that ain't goddamn nothing

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

If the Dems don't fight for DACA in January I'll be annoyed but that ain't goddamn nothing

I thought so too but if the numbers previously mentioned a page back are correct than CHIP was funded for "6 months" with 2 months worth of money.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

joepinetree posted:

The CR deal allocated 2.85 billion for CHIP. The yearly budget for CHIP is 14.5 billion. The 2.85 billion are supposed to cover the period starting on October 1st. So yes, it is just as much of a priority.

https://ccf.georgetown.edu/2017/12/22/congress-approves-cr-but-fails-to-pass-long-term-chip-funding/

This looks more like it got retroactively funded until now-ish.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

We literally just went over this:

joepinetree posted:

The CR deal allocated 2.85 billion for CHIP. The yearly budget for CHIP is 14.5 billion. The 2.85 billion are supposed to cover the period starting on October 1st. So yes, it is just as much of a priority.

https://ccf.georgetown.edu/2017/12/22/congress-approves-cr-but-fails-to-pass-long-term-chip-funding/

The "six months" statement is meaningless.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

karthun posted:

Don't forget about processing federal student loan discharges from the Corinthian Colleges fiasco. If they government is shutdown there is no one to deny the loan discharge.

you're sort of stretching the definition of immune

a shutdown that lasts for long enough means essential employees are coming to work with a paycheck delayed until whenever Congress gets its poo poo together and nonessential employees, of whom there are some in Homeland Security, are furloughed

One week isn't that big a deal for most agencies, one or two months are an entirely different animal, and if it somehow goes longer you'd see some serious bleeding of personnel, both the ones who go "I would like to pay rent and eat" and the ones who start looking harder at that private sector revolving door because reliability is suddenly less of a government perk

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Cerebral Bore posted:

So why haven't they done it already, ya dingus?

The whole existence of this whole weird mechanism where we need to vote to pay the funding we already agreed to pay that doesn't exist in any other country is because republicans like this mechanism because the labels of "essential" and "non essential" lined up with their pre-existing wishes so well. Republicans wanting this to happen and it to be democrats that shut down or defund their own programs is like the main thing they want to happen.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

joepinetree posted:

We literally just went over this:

The "six months" statement is meaningless.

Guess I missed that, darn. Carry on talking about how Dems are a waste.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

GreyjoyBastard posted:

you're sort of stretching the definition of immune

They are literally immune, ICE is marked as essential and will continue getting funding. It's the people processing social security applications that are "non essensial"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

They are literally immune, ICE is marked as essential and will continue getting funding. It's the people processing social security applications that are "non essensial"

Not exactly. They are guaranteed their back pay when the shutdown ends but if the agency runs out of payroll money they get paid in IOUs until then.

The difference between essential and non essential is that the former keep working and the latter get furloughed (historically but not bindingly with back pay).

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I thought so too but if the numbers previously mentioned a page back are correct than CHIP was funded for "6 months" with 2 months worth of money.

Which means it is funded for 1 month longer than the rest of the government.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lmao shutting down the government to protect CHIP and DACA is a right wing plot now? Never change liberals, never change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao shutting down the government to protect CHIP and DACA is a right wing plot now? Never change liberals, never change

I mean, it is 100% because of the right wing that we're faced with this false choice to begin with. We should loving be able to do CHIP and DACA without shutting the government down. It is right wing insanity that has forced such tactics.

• Locked thread