Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm way too old to be learning new ethnic slurs but i can always count on australians keeping me from being uncool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Cry Havoc posted:

they should just be like japan and pretend it never happened lol

They’re too busy pretending the Great Leap Forward and mass starvation never happened. Gotta pick your battles.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

icantfindaname posted:

The idea that the culture of remembrance stuff being used as fuel for nationalist/ethnic hatred is somehow a perverse or unnatural and unforeseen consequence seems just hilariously naive to me. That quote about those who don't remember history repeat it etc is one of the dumbest tidbits floating around in the liberal imagination IMO. It's literally the opposite. Every single nationalist rivalry/hatred in history has justified itself by claims to ancient injustices it seeks to avenge. One of the unique features of the Holocaust was that Jewish nationalism didn't really care about Germany either before or after the war, it focused on Arabs.

I basically take the position of David Rieff in his book

https://yalebooks.yale.edu/book/9780300182798/praise-forgetting

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/mar/02/cult-of-memory-when-history-does-more-harm-than-good

Yeah, I ended up explaining it to a mate thusly:

"It'll never end, you know. Not in a millennia, not if Japan were to turn over every asset and woman to Korea and China, if they were to murder their children and all the men were to take their lives while they screamed apologies and self-debasement with every cut. This isn't a grievance any more - in ten or so years it will pass from living memory. It's become a trifle that they'll shriek over and try and milk for as long as any of those countries exist."

"So like the Falklands, then."

"Eeeeeh."

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
https://twitter.com/BBCMonitoring/status/944122320767082497

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
who are they saying are from mars lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
this wsj report on surveillance in xinjiang is pretty good too

https://m.wsj.net/video/20171219/xinjiang121917_1/xinjiang121917_1_1500k.mp4

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Yes? That is the point?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You are not from mars you cannot understand.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

big time bisexual posted:

old guy fed up with ofos and mobikes clogging the sidewalk

https://my.mixtape.moe/ulngbg.mp4

https://slate.com/business/2017/12/dock-less-bike-share-is-ready-to-take-over-u-s-cities.html

I lol'd today

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I don't think the CCP is capable enough to make an SO functional enough to become a real life skynet.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
https://my.mixtape.moe/lzpftd.mp4

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

WarpedNaba posted:

"It'll never end, you know. Not in a millennia, not if Japan were to turn over every asset and woman to Korea and China, if they were to murder their children and all the men were to take their lives while they screamed apologies and self-debasement with every cut. This isn't a grievance any more - in ten or so years it will pass from living memory. It's become a trifle that they'll shriek over and try and milk for as long as any of those countries exist."

"Eeeeeh."

You know, it'd mean more if Mao had actually helped Kai-shek against the Japanese. Like, actually helped, as in fought. As in picked up guns and shot them. Not just hiding and letting the government guys and their families get tortured to death...at best! Because as we all know, all those Long-March troops who were very carefully conserved. So they could be eventually walked slowly towards the forces of Douglas MacArthur. And summarily gunned down by the Marine Corps, long after the end of WWII.

Ok, manipulating fractional Soviet bureaucracy to swoop in and appropriate a bunch of Japanese materiel, that's fair. Doubtless the Manchurian's also had more empathy for you than for the central government.

Forget the Japanese. The Chinese want to make amends? Put a Taiwanese on their central council. End the rift. End the war.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

WarpedNaba posted:

"Eeeeeh."

Argentinians are hilariously salty about the Falklands. Border checkpoints all over the country have globes exaggerating the size of the islands and billboards and plaques prominently point out that the Falklands are and always will be part of Argentina.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

True, but to my knowledge the British didn't commit a genocide campaign against the Argent within the last 200 years.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Is this what you guys mean by face?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The Falkland islands are garbage wasteland that should be turned into a wildlife conservation zone (managed by Argentina)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Does the face gain from showing the gate who's boss cancel out the face loss from walking into it in the first place?

peanut posted:

The Falkland islands are garbage wasteland that should be turned into a wildlife conservation zone (managed by Argentina)

That's a terrible idea. What will the Argentine government have to distract the population from domestic woes if not the Falklands Malvinas?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

peanut posted:

I'unno, Argentina usually deals in managing wildlife conservation zones into garbage wastelands. It's not like putting Moist V Lipwig in charge of a bank.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
would you trust the safety cables enough to do this?

https://my.mixtape.moe/rzwkmm.mp4

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

big time bisexual posted:

would you trust the safety cables enough to do this?

https://my.mixtape.moe/rzwkmm.mp4

it's kinda bullshit they reversed this to make it look more daring, but I wouldn't expect anything less from china

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The safety ropes look just long enough to leave you hanging between the steps, with your head bouncing off them.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
I like this version more

https://my.mixtape.moe/qomdms.mp4

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
I'm in Singapore with my family now. My Chinese wife has met one of her friends who immigrated here several years ago and has a son. I suggested that we go to one of the parks which supposedly has a nice hidden playground and the children can run around while my wife and her friend visit the art gallery. Her friend said that there is a children's section at the art gallery, so we are now engaging in the time-honored Chinese tradition of taking your kids to an air-conditioned building and having them run around inside screaming instead of being outside in the fresh air.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Imperialist Dog posted:

and having them run around inside screaming instead of being outside in the fresh air.

I was under the impression that poo poo didn't fly in Singapore

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\

ladron posted:

The museum staff just walked over to say "Parents, please supervise your children!" Yesssss, official warning level one

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ladron posted:

they're Chinese

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Just made some traditional christmas candy for christmas, googled what it was called in english and apparently it's peanut brittle. Merry Christmas!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

peanut posted:

Argentina lost that war.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Saw this little guy on the street today.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
guys living in china: how is the certain shortening of your lifespan from the insane pollution china suffers from worth it in the end? do you blast those 100 dollar xiaomi air purifiers and gangbang multiple poorly fitting bootleg 3M masks on your face?? im pretty sure chinese rice/wheat/corn etc is heavily polluted by ground waste water seepage lol, no way to hide

just seems loving stupid when you could live in switzerland or germany or sweden or norway, you know, good places Lol

edit: forgot about the stunted chinese girls that look like children, Lol. thats probably a big draw. Plunge on!!

AEMINAL fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Dec 23, 2017

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

AEMINAL posted:

guys living in china: how is the certain shortening of your lifespan from the insane pollution china suffers from worth it in the end? do you blast those 100 dollar xiaomi air purifiers and gangbang multiple poorly fitting bootleg 3M masks on your face?? im pretty sure chinese rice/wheat/corn etc is heavily polluted by ground waste water seepage lol, no way to hide

just seems loving stupid when you could live in switzerland or germany or sweden or norway, you know, good places Lol

edit: forgot about the stunted chinese girls that look like children, Lol. thats probably a big draw. Plunge on!!

Yeah, employers in those countries are just lining up to hire losers like us at wage levels comparable to the lives we can lead in China.

Why go where the opportunities are when you can just point to a place on a map and go live there with no difficulty whatsoever?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
hell even if you're a reeeal loser fucktard there's still Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain.. etc, beats china for sure if you give a drat about your personal health

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

hakimashou posted:

Argentina lost that war.

Gotcha!

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
merry christmas chinathread

https://twitter.com/QiZHAI/status/944500083642339328

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

A mural outside a mahjong parlour in Yau ma tei.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Tiananmen Square protest death toll 'was 10,000'

quote:

Mr Donald said the source had been reliable in the past "and was careful to separate fact from speculation and rumour".
The envoy wrote: "Students understood they were given one hour to leave square but after five minutes APCs attacked.
"Students linked arms but were mown down including soldiers. APCs then ran over bodies time and time again to make 'pie' and remains collected by bulldozer. Remains incinerated and then hosed down drains.
"Four wounded girl students begged for their lives but were bayoneted."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-42465516

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/10-000-killed-chinas-1989-tiananmen-crackdown-british-063526012.html

"Students linked arms but were mown down including soldiers. APCs then ran over bodies time and time again to make 'pie' and remains collected by bulldozer. Remains incinerated and then hosed down drains."

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Wonder how many of those soldiers developed PTSD and offed themselves. Or does Face allow one to disconnect that cause you were doing a good job following orders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Raptor1033 posted:

Wonder how many of those soldiers developed PTSD and offed themselves. Or does Face allow one to disconnect that cause you were doing a good job following orders?

It's literally the reason why the units are composed of people from other provinces

• Locked thread