Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
lookit dem transaction fees

Hope you weren't planning on cashing out, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Buckle up, motherfuckers.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I know we were talking about Bitcoin / Soylent synergy some pages back... turns out the people who brought you the Kentucky Fried Chicken VR Escape Room game were also running a brilliant deep-web campaign:

https://soylentkxgydn6bz.onion.casa/

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I just made my first bitcoin exchange account today. I plan to buy quite a few BTCs once they hit $1. By the looks of it that could be as early as next week.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Kazinsal posted:

Buckle up, motherfuckers.

I might actually put honest to god real American dollars into this poo poo if it crashes. Seven years and nothing has killed this dumb poo poo off yet

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG7zLhEWanc

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

yeah, I basically agree with all of that, I was just trying to put it in layman's terms.

honestly, it seems a bit silly to even worry about ethereum self-immolating in pursuit of PoS when the whole thing is based around a hopelessly lovely programming language for contracts that doesn't work and can't be changed. I also think that even Lightning is papering over the holes in bitcoin at best, and we won't see any sort of implementation for a year at least.

Like any tech product ever, this entire generation of cryptocoins is effectively a collective public alpha, and really shouldn't be taken seriously as a long term implementation.

Lightning is amazing. Whenever you tell a bitcoiner "this is poo poo and can't scale" they go "but, Lightning Network!! lol" neglecting the subtle but possibly important point that the LN doesn't loving exist yet, and that it's been "coming next year!" for 2015, 2016 and 2017.

They have actual code now!! Its path-finding algorithm is "flood the whole network with every channel and transaction". That's O(n^2) and will scale to literally tens of users.

Solving the path-finding problem, btw, is unsolved computer science.

And the best bit - if they do solve the path-finding problem, the economics of the LN totally can't work and grind to a halt in any number of really obvious ways.

so, it clearly fits in with how bitcoin does absolutely everything else and is the correct path forward

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

This is great

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

lol @ "all my cotton's egypted"

edit: holy poo poo it's Reason, this is maybe the first time a libertarian has been intentionally funny

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 22, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
two fans like a chargers game

:vince:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

divabot posted:

Solving the path-finding problem, btw, is unsolved computer science.

Can't wait for bang paths to make a triumphant comeback.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I wonder if these are going out around the "industry"

quote:

Hello David,

NOTICE: Two Important Changes as of 12/22/2017

As a follow-up to our email earlier today regarding BitPay requiring a $100 Minimum, BitPay has made a second change - please note that effective immediately, the Bitcoin Payment Protocol is required for all transactions. Only Payment Protocol-compatible wallets can be used.

According to BitPay, this change is meant to protect you from over- or under-paying on your transactions, sending your payment to the wrong address, or sending a miner fee that is too small. Using this protocol, payments with such errors will never reach the bitcoin network, and you won’t be charged miner fees for failed transactions.

While eGifter does not endorse any specific wallet, here are some examples of Payment Protocol compatible wallets: BitPay Wallet, Copay, Electrum, Mycelium, Bitcoin Core (Satoshi client), and BitX. For more information on compatible bitcoin wallets, please see BitPay’s Bitcoin Wallet Comparison.

If you are not using one of these wallets, and have had an issue making a bitcoin payment recently, this may be the reason.

As we announced earlier today, BitPay has also raised the minimum payment amount to $100.

For more Information on the minimum bitcoin payment amount, please see BitPay’s article, “Why We’re Updating the Minimum BitPay Payment Amount to $100.”

If you are looking to buy gift cards with a lower value for the holidays, you can buy an eGifter Choice Card™ and use that to buy individual cards at a lower value.

Lastly, due to popular demand, we are planning to add other payment options in the very near future!

We are sorry for any inconvenience that this may have caused you.

Regards,

The eGifter Team

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

BitPay? I am the Bit Boy, very good

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

$100 minimum value transaction
$50 fee
~2 days to clear

That's a drat convenient currency right there.
It's been said before, but with the network this crippled it's hard to imagine the new-wave of people getting the buzz sticking this dip out.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I don't understand how bitcoin is surviving with those kind of transaction fees. Why haven't folks jumped ship to other currencies?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nitrousoxide posted:

I don't understand how bitcoin is surviving with those kind of transaction fees. Why haven't folks jumped ship to other currencies?

Bitcoin was initially promoted as a payment network, but it's not really used as a payment network. Those fees don't affect you if you are just trading one coin for another internally on an exchange, or if you are eternally hodling.

It's useless for normal people, but normal people were never the target market.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Can't wait for bang paths to make a triumphant comeback.

I actually went to Google Plus, which seems to be social networking for old geeks, to ask about this. Yep, nobody has solved this problem better than "everyone gets a complete map of the network", and everyone moved to DNS on a proper Internet as soon as possible.

LN seems to be a silly idea someone mooted, and Blockstream, desperate for something anything to make bitcoin scale, latched onto it.

It can't possibly work economically even if they make it work technically. As far as I can tell, they literally don't have an economic plan or vision of how the eventual LN will work in real life.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

divabot posted:

I actually went to Google Plus, which seems to be social networking for old geeks, to ask about this. Yep, nobody has solved this problem better than "everyone gets a complete map of the network", and everyone moved to DNS on a proper Internet as soon as possible.

LN seems to be a silly idea someone mooted, and Blockstream, desperate for something anything to make bitcoin scale, latched onto it.

It can't possibly work economically even if they make it work technically. As far as I can tell, they literally don't have an economic plan or vision of how the eventual LN will work in real life.

I wasn't joking. The best solution is to give a known-good path from you to some well-known backbone node. This is also basically what BGP does - the backbone providers all tell each other who they can talk with and what IPs are on their network. This is definitely not a trustless model and broadcasting a bad BGP route has been known to gently caress up the internet hard on occasion. Failure modes like "a couple terabits of traffic do a loop-de-loop and a chunk of a country drops offline".

A lot of the internet infrastructure is actually ad-hoc solutions that have been quasi-formalized and very much depend on everyone (or at least key nodes) not to poo poo everything up for each other. For that matter so is bitcoin, I think at one point (and possibly still) the nodes advertise their existence to each other in an IRC channel. Wouldn't be surprised to see that approach replicated here.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 23, 2017

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Merry Cryptsmas and Happy HODLidays

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

Bitcoin was initially promoted as a payment network, but it's not really used as a payment network. Those fees don't affect you if you are just trading one coin for another internally on an exchange, or if you are eternally hodling.

It's useless for normal people, but normal people were never the target market.

Do exchanges just not write their transactions to the blockchain unless people cash in or out of them entirely? Otherwise they couldn't avoid the fees either.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Nitrousoxide posted:

Do exchanges just not write their transactions to the blockchain unless people cash in or out of them entirely? Otherwise they couldn't avoid the fees either.

Correct, they do everything off the blockchain until you cash out, and they can amortize transaction costs a bit by using one transaction to send to a lot of addresses. It still costs a lot of money, but less than sending N individual transaction.

(which is why you're not supposed to keep money in exchanges, they're not your butts until they're in your wallet instead of the exchange's wallet)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Nicehash added 50% more hashing power into ETN, payouts are down :sigh:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Clearly this is a great time to get in on mining, so I set the 1080 to 65% TDP limit and installed Winminer with the idea to let it do what it wanted with the computer while I'm at my parents' place over christmas, but alas, it says there's a waiting time to get in. Ah well. I left it and see if it gets going. I looked into other alternatives including more ordinary pools but winminer still seems like the best option because as far as I can tell you can use it without actually touching the poop directly - they claim you can cash out directly from winminer to PayPal, so I don't have to gently caress around with wallets or bitcoin transaction fees or crypto exchange transfers that will cause my bank to flag my account for suspicious behaviour. Getting my paypal account closed is no huge deal, if it comes to that.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I’ve got 3 1070s now; NiceHash is showing $12.94 daily. Long as they don’t get hacked more than every 12 days (about how long it will take to hit 0.01BTC to get a payout) I’ll be good.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I ended up switching from Winminer back to Nicehash because it's making a lot more, other than with my RX580 rig which for some reason isn't recognized by Nicehash even after reinstalling the driver.

EDIT: I guess there are some issues with the latest AMD driver and Nicehash, rolled back to 17.10.1 and now it works.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 23, 2017

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

MaxxBot posted:

I'm not sure what you're referring to with the waiting time, try going to settings -> mode and change it to manual and then hit the start button if it's not starting up for you.

I ended up switching from Winminer back to Nicehash because it's making a lot more, other than with my RX580 rig which for some reason isn't recognized by Nicehash even after reinstalling the driver.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Nicehash consistently shows higher values, but don’t the transaction fees eat up that and more? I used it for a day and figured I wasted my time and should use Winminer instead.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The ability to cash out directly in gift cards sounds pretty nice. Right now transaction fees are a big issue, MiningPoolHub just jumped their withdraw fees a whole bunch to deal with it and I'm sure other pools are going to follow suit (and/or increase minimum withdrawals as well). I cashed out from them yesterday so I timed it right, lol.

A withdrawal I did from another pool yesterday cost them 0.002 BTC in fees... so roughly $28 to process my withdrawal. And that wasn't even one of those mega-transactions with a billion addresses, that was a transaction for just me, one input and two outputs. Currency of the future.

Bitpay (the payment processor behind most sites that accept BTC including those gift-card sites) is adding the ability to pay in altcoins early next year, so hopefully in the future you can withdraw in LTC or something.

I pulled my money out of the pools I've been using and I'm thinking pretty heavily about cashing out in case this thing dead-cat bounces and dives again. Bitcoin is poo poo and it seems like the transaction issues are coming to a head. Too bad transaction fees are going to eat a huge chunk of it anyway though.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 24, 2017

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
The fees will go down once the backlog is cleared imo. The transactions per second has doubled twice in the last two days, and this has happened before. I have no way of knowing if this one is too much to handle but one way or another that transaction count will go down

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I pay 1-2% miner fees, 1-2% pool fees, 0.2% to convert to btc on an exchange, 0.2% to convert to eth, and then a transaction to cold storage so probably $1, then again to an exchange I convert into cash to withdraw. It ends up being under 4% cumulative

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Risky Bisquick posted:

I pay 1-2% miner fees, 1-2% pool fees, 0.2% to convert to btc on an exchange, 0.2% to convert to eth, and then a transaction to cold storage so probably $1, then again to an exchange I convert into cash to withdraw. It ends up being under 4% cumulative

Sure but at least you’re helping create the currency of the future, instead of acquiescing to VISA’s oppressive regime

Fight the good fight, good fellow

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

1gnoirents posted:

The fees will go down once the backlog is cleared imo. The transactions per second has doubled twice in the last two days, and this has happened before. I have no way of knowing if this one is too much to handle but one way or another that transaction count will go down

Transactions per second is a function of block size, it's roughly 3-8 transactions per second depending on how big the transactions are. Unless you change the block size, it's a simple function of how fast blocks are getting found on average.

Yeah, I guess it's dropping somewhat. Down from 290K over the last couple days to 220k right now.

There is a sharp gradient you hit when the block fills up, as people start competing on fees to get their transactions processed. That's another obstacle to cashing out in an emergency - transaction fees are going to go through the roof.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Cryptocurrency doesn't make sense in both theory and practice? :monocle:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Currency of the future

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/7lrpcq/my_low_fee_transaction_was_rejected_by_the/

Just delete your mempool grandma and redownload the thing

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?
Also, anyone running back to Nicehash should read their payment schedule veeeery carefully: they're only paying out to external wallets at 0.1 BTC right now: https://www.nicehash.com/help/when-and-how-do-you-get-paid

In true bitcoin fashion, this is of course buried at the bottom and was 100% not mentioned at all anywhere in their re-launch messaging, because lol at setting the minimum payout to like $1500 (or $1200 or $1600 or...)

cstine fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 24, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cstine posted:

Also, anyone running back to Nicehash should read their payment schedule veeeery carefully: they're only paying out to external wallets at 0.1 BTC right now: https://www.nicehash.com/help/when-and-how-do-you-get-paid

In true bitcoin fashion, this is of course buried at the bottom and was 100% not mentioned at all anywhere in their re-launch messaging, because lol at setting the minimum payout to like $1500 (or $1200 or $1600 or...)

Hahaha what

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

cstine posted:

Hahahaha, they've definitely converted it to a Ponzi scheme. They have no money and are counting on most people not hitting the 0.1 btc payout for a few months. They'll probably pay out to a couple people to convince everyone they're legit but eventually they're running off with everyone's money.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Well... that’s not very nice!

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Thats daily. Weekly is still the same. All those numbers are the same I believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

It does say they are working on implementing cashing out in other coins to be fair. And with 50 dollar transaction fees it's not like they can let people cash out at 15 dollars.

• Locked thread