Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Maybe the kid was just hungry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Mister Mind posted:

How long has it been since someone posted about Lesch-Nyhan Syndrome?

"Lesch-Nyhan Syndrome is a disorder that strikes the sufferer with debilitating motor and cognitive problems, hyperuricemia, and the urge to do harm to yourself with acts of self-injurious behavior"

Oh? What kind of self-injurious behavior?

"Then they noticed that Matthew's hands were bound and covered in gauze. They asked for him to have his bandages removed and the young patient went wide eyed as if scared. When his hands were exposed they saw that the tips of Matthew's fingers were missing. It was at this time that the doctors noticed that Matthew had bite damage around his lips as well. Matthew then began to cry and thrust his hands towards his mouth. The doctors were horrified as they realized that Matthew had chewed off his own fingers and parts of his lips and needed to be stopped from doing any more damage at that very moment."

---

"Lastly, all people with LNS display some degree of abnormal behavior, specifically, the self-injuring of one's self by biting. This behavior begins as soon as the child's teeth come in and typically results in parents frantically calling pediatricians asking why their children are trying to eat themselves."

---

"Treatments as simple as wearing oven mitts and as complicated as electrical wiring in the brain have been used to help the LNS sufferer but no cure for the syndrome seems in sight."

:(

There's a story by Octavia Butler that depicts a fictional disease with qualities of self-injury drawn from this. "The Evening and the Morning and the Night." Good story.

My one year old daughter has been gnawing on her hands lately. Good poo poo.

Dr. Video Games 0081 has a new favorite as of 13:03 on Dec 22, 2017

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Mister Mind posted:

"Lesch-Nyhan Syndrome is a disorder that strikes the sufferer with debilitating motor and cognitive problems, hyperuricemia, and the urge to do harm to yourself with acts of self-injurious behavior"

"Then they noticed that Matthew's hands were bound and covered in gauze. They asked for him to have his bandages removed and the young patient went wide eyed as if scared. When his hands were exposed they saw that the tips of Matthew's fingers were missing. It was at this time that the doctors noticed that Matthew had bite damage around his lips as well. Matthew then began to cry and thrust his hands towards his mouth. The doctors were horrified as they realized that Matthew had chewed off his own fingers and parts of his lips and needed to be stopped from doing any more damage at that very moment."

---

"Lastly, all people with LNS display some degree of abnormal behavior, specifically, the self-injuring of one's self by biting. This behavior begins as soon as the child's teeth come in and typically results in parents frantically calling pediatricians asking why their children are trying to eat themselves."

---

"Treatments as simple as wearing oven mitts and as complicated as electrical wiring in the brain have been used to help the LNS sufferer but no cure for the syndrome seems in sight."

I'm getting a 404 and I would love to read it because broken brains are super scary and I like bringing this kind of thing up to my boyfriend who does brain stuff for a living because he's super good at explaining the inner workings of it in a way that's easy to understand.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Back a couple of pages re: human chew toys...

I can't find the article because i'm suck at google, but years ago there was a pretty creepy news story about a service dog, rescue dog they wanted to be a service dog or just the family pet. At any rate it was a doofy lab or something and it loved the disabled daughter they had. She had something like cerebral palsy or something like that and didn't have use of her hands and feet. This dog would sleep with her and keep her extremities warm. Well anyway during the reading of this article they made it seem like this kid had an issue with circulation and was always having to go in for debridement for gangrene. Well one morning they go in and find the dog has eaten all her toes and they are like "welp, he cleaned her wounds real good. kind of wish he'd left her toes tho.."

I just remember sitting there after reading it and being all "wow, they aren't even freaked out..they just accept that this dog licked her wounds so much and got so into "cleaning out the bad" that he ate her toes...and they are kind of cool with it."

To be fair this was years ago and that may just be what my freaked out brain took away and not what really happened.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

PetraCore posted:

I wonder what exactly went down that prosecutors are asking for Morgan to get almost twice the sentence of Anissa, other than Morgan being the one to talk Anissa around. Like that might be enough to bump the asked-for sentence up that much but I'm wondering if other factors such as a potential lack of remorse are going into that.

Going from what I remember of the documentary on the case it does appear that Morgan has some severe mental issues that her family's pretty much been downplaying or brushing off since she was very young. I'd have to sit through the documentary again to refresh for specifics, but when I sat through it, there were enough tell tale signs that she needed help before the stabbing.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Crazy that you can kill for one made up entity like "One's Country" and everyone cheers, but you do it for the Slender man and you go to a mental hospital forever.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Burning hot take right there

Makes u think

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Crazy that you can kill for one made up entity like "One's Country" and everyone cheers, but you do it for the Slender man and you go to a mental hospital forever.

Actually I can confidently say that you can kill for the Slender man and remain free and unhindered

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The same could be said of all religions.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

People go to jail all the time for "killing for their country." Are you confusing government sanctioned violence for individual choices again?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Sarcopenia posted:

I'm getting a 404 and I would love to read it because broken brains are super scary and I like bringing this kind of thing up to my boyfriend who does brain stuff for a living because he's super good at explaining the inner workings of it in a way that's easy to understand.

If the link starts working, make your boyfriend write a post or st least transcribe it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solice Kirsk posted:

People go to jail all the time for "killing for their country." Are you confusing government sanctioned violence for individual choices again?

No, the guys who landed on D-Day are exactly the same as these girls murdering another child!

Reflections85
Apr 30, 2013

Sarcopenia posted:

The correct url is https://www.cs.rutgers.edu/~biglars/LNS.html

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Mister Mind posted:

---

---

The (fictional) follow-up to Hot Zone took inspiration from this. Someone created a contagioius version. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cobra_Event

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

M_Sinistrari posted:

Going from what I remember of the documentary on the case it does appear that Morgan has some severe mental issues that her family's pretty much been downplaying or brushing off since she was very young. I'd have to sit through the documentary again to refresh for specifics, but when I sat through it, there were enough tell tale signs that she needed help before the stabbing.
That's really sad.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Thanks; yes.

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

"For America, Anissa?"
"No, for memes"

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

There's a pretty good podcast ep by a former forensic psychologist about the Slenderman murder and the weird mental issues that led to it.

For some reason the podcast itself only seems to go halfway, but the transcript below it has all the info.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Apraxin posted:

This one is pretty hard to top for :stare:-factor:

Sarcopenia posted:

Fuuuuuuuck that judge.

Milo and POTUS posted:

He'll win reelection.

Don Gato posted:

Roy Moore was a representative example, not an outlier.

Holy poo poo...Same judge here!!!
https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/08/idaho-judge-rape-social-media-twin-falls
Dude is highly loving suspect

quote:

An Idaho judge who said a man who raped a 14-year-old girl could be released on probation if he agreed not to have sex outside of wedlock also linked the case to a breakdown of morality in the social media age, adding: “If I had my way, I would eliminate the internet.”
The unusual requirement that a convict remain celibate as a condition of probation received widespread attention this week, after segments of Judge Randy J Stoker’s ruling were made public.
“I will tell you, sir, that if you are ever placed on probation to this court, a condition of that probation will be you will not have sexual relations with anyone other than who you are married to, if you’re married, period,” the Twin Falls district judge said.
However, additional details of the judge’s ruling, contained in a transcript of the hearing obtained by the Guardian, reveal how Stoker delivered what amounts to a sermon on modern-day morality in which he connected the 14-year-old victim’s rape to “the social media system”.
The extramarital celibacy requirement is highly unusual but has some statutory basis in conservative Idaho, where premarital sex is still technically a crime, although the statute banning “fornication” is rarely if ever enforced.
Twin Falls prosecuting attorney Grant P Loebs said the sex offender’s compliance with the no-sex rule would be tested via polygraph. “The probation officer whose job it is to make sure you’re not a threat to the community will ask you ... have you been doing this or this or this?” he said. “That’s the way those conditions are checked. Not by spying on someone.”
Stoker conceded that Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram and other sites might not be the direct cause of all the sexual assault cases he has presided over in the deeply conservative Gem State. But he said “the vast majority” of such cases originate online.

“I can’t change that,” he said. “If I had my way, I would eliminate the internet, and we’d all have better lives. But I can’t do that either. It also says something about, I guess, the level of morality in this country. I can’t change morality. People are going to do what they’re going to do."
On 2 March 2015, Herrera snuck into the girl’s bedroom, ostensibly to watch a movie with her. He began to fondle the girl. She asked him to stop. He then raped her without wearing a condom.

Punkin Spunkin has a new favorite as of 02:25 on Dec 23, 2017

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

It's like a christian version of that judge from Futurama but not funny at all.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Mister Mind posted:

---

---

edit: URL correct now, I hope.

They taste like ladyfingers.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
fyi, potential slenderman sacrifice is still alive. she was stabbed a bunch, but survived. you can use "the slenderman stabbing case" like the local media instead of "the slenderman murder."

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The correct term is "the Slender Man attempted murder"

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Oooh here's people legally getting off easy with murder.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5a3d98cee4b06d1621b45d8d?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/apos-kayak-killer-apos-released-185440519.html

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants

I remember hearing about some guy in Wales who murdered his girlfriend but managed to get his sentence reduced to 6 years (3 with good behavior) because she "provoked" him, or something. I'm a little fuzzy on the details, does anybody remember?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

quote:

They discussed a potential future military career for the informant that would allow him to kill people legally.

“Have you heard or do you think it’s possible after all this is done ... I can go into the military?” Moriel asked the detectives. Flynn acknowledged that it was a real possibility.

“You want to legally kill some people, huh,” Grover said.

“Yeah, I want to go fight,” Moriel responded. “If that’s possible, I want to go.”

Flynn replied: “It’s much nicer when Uncle Sam’s behind you on it. … Then you know you get away with it.” 

“That’s cool,” Moriel said.

:catstare:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

One of the few times you'll ever see a case where the judge is more worrying than the guy who raped a 14 year old.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
There are a limited number of courts for judges to preside over, and most get to that point after many, many years of experience in the law, so while judges are still human and imperfect, most are at least marginally rational and could at least be argued to be doing a reasonable job. However, because REMOVING a judge is often difficult, and because they wield so much power, when you get someone objectively terrible things can be really, REALLY bad.

Like this case that I believe came up earlier in the thread of a judge being complicit in an elder abuse con where a lady identified retirees, rushed paperwork through that judge to gain guardianship over them, threw them into a care facility with the aid of the police via orders from the judge, and then sold or destroyed all their property (apologies for the New Yorker link). The judge, who has demonstrated an inability to care for the rights of the more vulnerable, was moved from a court dealing with the elderly to one that deals with children instead.

It's hard to find a good write-up of some of the legendarily bad judges, the ones who abuse the law and those that come through their court, because the ones who actually commit crimes get more attention and, thankfully, usually seem to be prosecuted faithfully. I suspect that other judges also don't look kindly on their contemporaries giving the career a bad name.

Like the judge convicted of using a penis pump in court.

Or the judge convicted of, well, the brief in the appeal sums up the crazy part pretty well. 'Counts One, Four, Five, and Six stem from allegations that Cochran sexually propositioned A.G. and, after being publicly exposed by her husband during a contested reelection campaign, sought to discredit her by planting methamphetamine on her car and having her arrested.' He was also charged with sexually assaulting a different lady and inappropriately searching the cel phone of someone else.

Or this judge who was convicted of taking bribes in murder cases. They were under investigation for ten years before the prosecution finally dropped the hammer on them, though, and he was involved in the practice of moving bribes to corrupt judges even before becoming a judge himself, so uh, there's that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I've read about this before, and it absolutely infuriates me that this kind of thing happens.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I generally think of myself as a peaceful person who believes that all life is intrinsically valuable and that any death is a tragic one and stories like that elder abuse one really strain my belief in a way that even serial killers don’t, because at least with some of them I can at least tell myself that they were a victim of their broken brains.

E: not to downplay how hosed up serial killers can be, but I think I’m just more emotionally bothered by evil springs from greed or personal profit than I am with, for lack of a better word, “crazy” evil.

christmas boots has a new favorite as of 21:26 on Dec 23, 2017

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Why apologies for a New Yorker link?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aaaaaaaye, forget about it!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

fruit on the bottom posted:

I generally think of myself as a peaceful person who believes that all life is intrinsically valuable and that any death is a tragic one and stories like that elder abuse one really strain my belief in a way that even serial killers don’t, because at least with some of them I can at least tell myself that they were a victim of their broken brains.

E: not to downplay how hosed up serial killers can be, but I think I’m just more emotionally bothered by evil springs from greed or personal profit than I am with, for lack of a better word, “crazy” evil.

There's a difference between evil born out of madness and evil born out of malicious conspiracy. They're both repulsive, but a serial killer's usually a sick person and the other's a group of calculating minds making selfish but technically rational decisions. I can see finding the latter worse.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I definitely agree. "Mental issues" is a legit medical problem. Selfishness to the point of harming others just means you're a bad person.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Shady Amish Terror posted:

There are a limited number of courts for judges to preside over, and most get to that point after many, many years of experience in the law, so while judges are still human and imperfect, most are at least marginally rational and could at least be argued to be doing a reasonable job. However, because REMOVING a judge is often difficult, and because they wield so much power, when you get someone objectively terrible things can be really, REALLY bad.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't judges often elected, not appointed, and therefore don't they need very little experience?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pookel posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't judges often elected, not appointed, and therefore don't they need very little experience?

Federal are appointed.

State judges vary in method, it depends on the state's constitution.

Some are direct election. In some states they are affiliated with a political party. In others they run unaffiliated. Judges can also be appointed by a governor or a legislative committee based on merit. Also, in some states, judges that are appointed have to pass a periodic referendum-like vote to keep their seat.

EDIT: Here's a Find Law article that explains it better:

http://litigation.findlaw.com/legal-system/how-are-judges-selected.html

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 00:21 on Dec 24, 2017

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

I shouldn't laugh but all I see is penis pump bloopers.

"Objection! Badgering the witness!"
"Sus*pffffffffffffft*tained"

"Your honor I move to *squeek* strike the *squeeksqueeksqueeksqueek* last statement, what's that squeeking?"

"Anyone remember those pump up sneakers?"

Imagine the scene if it got stuck or he accidentally used the pump as a gavel.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

pookel posted:

Honestly the concept of judges being elected at all is one of those things that many countries (and people) find wholly unnerving. That's not to imply everything is always hunky dory forever if judges are appointed (see: that American guy from last week who basically hadn't had anything to do with a court since he graduated law school in 1999, unnerving also) but seriously, your job as an impartial arbiter of law shouldn't hinge on approval ratings.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You trying to say that Judge Reinhold isn't impartial and fair?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Guys. GUYS.

I have no updates for you. Nothing of substance. I’m still like 30 pages behind on this thread. But I want to let you know there is BREAKING NEWS in Albuquerque.

Last year you may remember I posted about Clifford Miller, a man found stabbed, mutilated, genitals removed, and decapitated behind a Wal-Mart a short distance from my home. In fact, it was just over a year ago. Miller’s body was discovered on December 17th 2016.

https://www.abqjournal.com/913907/friend-man-found-decapitated-outside-ne-abq-walmart-was-homeless.html

An autopsy report had been released in March of this year that gave no insight other than two details – Miller was decapitated post-mortem and that seminal fluid was found on the man. No one could say whether it was his or not because presumably no one in charge cared. That was literally the last thing learned about the case that’s been made public as far as I’m aware. And most of the articles detailing this again used mugshots of Miller, no doubt a tactic to make this man more distant from the general population.

Okay. Okay okay. So I walked into work this morning and I’ve caught up on work and I usually have about an hour or so before I have to get rolling unless there’s some emergency that needs to be tended to. Sunday mornings, not so much. Sunday morning on xmas eve? Even less. So I open up local news and I’m greeted with a slew of vague news reports:

Suspicious death being investigated in Four Hills area.

Four Hills is a neighborhood in the city situated at the extreme southeast of Albuquerque and is generally considered one of the “nicer” neighborhoods. Upscale homes on rolling desert plots. Lots of money, lots of expensive properties in spite of having been built on a former dump.

One news story in particular was explicit about the damage found to this body. It was decapitated and mutilated, and for the time being, investigators can’t determine the identity, or even the gender, of the victim.

No story has mentioned Clifford Miller of a year ago, or the fact that he had been found headless and mutilated, or the fact that it was just days before xmas, but I think that’s a hell of a coincidence. Four Hills is not close to Miller’s location, but nothing is that far in Albuquerque. I’ll post updates as information comes out. Not that there will be much, as history shows. But here are some links:

http://www.koat.com/article/albuquerque-police-investigate-suspicious-death-in-se-abq/14491641
http://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news/apd-investigating-suspicious-death-found-in-four-hills-area/4719486/
http://krqe.com/2017/12/23/apd-investigate-suspicious-death-in-southeast-albuquerque/
https://www.abqjournal.com/1110613/dead-body-found-in-four-hills-with-massive-trauma-police-say.html