Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

maskenfreiheit posted:

i like how he talks the talk (wah wah hgtv is capitalist propaganda) but when it comes time to walk the walk (help out equally with the :airquote:"women's work":airquote: in the kitchen) he pulls the "I"M A GUESSTTTT" card.

I wish there was a good term for this. I don't want to say virtue signalling since it's so loaded but I'm blanking on a better one

"smugma"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

maskenfreiheit posted:

i like how he talks the talk (wah wah hgtv is capitalist propaganda) but when it comes time to walk the walk (help out equally with the :airquote:"women's work":airquote: in the kitchen) he pulls the "I"M A GUESSTTTT" card.

I wish there was a good term for this. I don't want to say virtue signalling since it's so loaded but I'm blanking on a better one

Hypocrite?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

maskenfreiheit posted:

"Publicly pious" was the phrase people used before the new verbotten term came in vogue, you can use that I suppose

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"psychology major"

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Ham Sandwiches posted:

He's married to the count from sesame street :drac:

"1-2-3-4... 4 cans. That's a lot."

came here to post this

GET OUTTA MY HEAD

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Pick posted:

"smugma"

:golfclap:

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

La Brea Carpet posted:

Me [24F] at my company's holiday party - got drunk and embarrassed myself with my engaged coworker [27M]

You are now that girl. Update your resume.

Erin from the office

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

I [30/F] want to cut ties with my biological father [53/M] who tried to sabotage my weddingPersonal issues

quote:

submitted 2 hours ago by annoyedbutamused

Just as reference, my biological father walked out on my mom and I when I was 3 years old. I was raised by my mom and my step-dad who was the true father figure in my life. They got married when I was 9 years old.

My mom and stepdad never prevented me from having a relationship with my biological father. In fact, neither of them have spoken badly about my father at all. They always tried their best to keep a fair, neutral relationship with him so that I wasn't negatively affected by the situation while growing up.

My biological father never had a genuine interest in getting to know me as a person. He never calls or tries to come visit me. On top of everything else, he is a full blown alcoholic, and when we do talk, he is usually drunk.

When I do make the point to call him, the conversation is always about him, what he wants, what he is interested in, how his life is going, etc. He never asks about how I am doing, and if the topic just happens to be about me, it usually ends with him giving me unnecessary life advice.

For example, he's never been to college, and I'm finishing up my Ph.D. He will give me a long list of advice about how to get a Ph.D. and what I should be doing with it. It's really unhelpful.

Anyways, even though he has always been a self-centered rear end in a top hat of a father, I still have tried very hard to include him in big events of my life. I did that because his parents (my paternal grandparents) did help significantly in raising me, and I have a strong relationship with them.

However, when he does show up to these big events, he makes a point to ruin my day.

At my high school graduation, he was upset that I wasn't going to a top-tier school (I was accepted to one but didn't want to take out loans) and wasn't the valedictorian (I was 5th in my graduating class).

At my college graduation everyone already knew I was going to start my Ph.D. program. He joked that I will never finish my Ph.D. because getting a Ph.D. is a long process, and he said that he knows I don't have what it takes to make it through. He said this at the dinner table in front of everyone there.

Then at my wedding three months ago, he really tried to ruin my big day. I would like to mention that he made a huge deal about what he was going to wear. He uses all of his money on alcohol, so he said he didn't have the money to buy nice clothes. I didn't want to exclude him from the celebration, so I rented him a tuxedo that was identical to my stepdad's and my father-in-law's.

Our wedding was basically a stay-cation, so a lot of the guests arrived 2-3 days before the big day. My father arrived early, too, and complained about missing days of work, and then proceeded to get plastered drunk everyday. He couldn't even stand up. He kept falling on the floor because he was so drunk.

I tried having a conversation with him about not drinking so much, but he was dismissive with my comments, so I stopped talking about it.

Then at the rehearsal dinner, he told me that he didn't want to wear the tuxedo for the wedding. He said he tried it on, and it was uncomfortable. I asked if he had a different set of clothes to wear, and he pointed to his t-shirt and jeans and said that he was going to wear that to the wedding.

When I told him "no," his response was, "I'M YOUR FATHER, AND YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO ACCEPT ME FOR WHO I AM." I put this in capital letters because he screamed those words at me.

That was the last straw. Honestly, I have been dealing with him for the last 30 years and tried my hardest to let it all go, but this time it was much different.

I will totally admit it. I let him have it. I specifically brought up everything wrong he has purposefully done to me, and I told him he was a horrible father and a person. I meant it, and I don't regret sticking up for myself.

He said we should cut ties, and I agreed. I don't think that was response he was looking for because when I agreed with his statement, his mouth fell open. He mentioned it first, I just acknowledged.

The next day (wedding day), he packed his bags and left without saying anything. Everyone was shocked except for my mom and me.

I don't care if I never see my father again. It may sound cold, but I think it's the best choice for my well-being.

The only thing worries me is my relationship with my grandparents. I haven't called them for the past 3 months because I know they will be sad about what happened. They weren't at the wedding because they live in a different country and traveling would have been too difficult for their old age.

I don't care about my father, but I do care about them. My grandparents are in their mid-80's, and I know they won't be around much longer. I don't want to stress them out in their old age. What do I do here? Do I fake a relationship with my father for my grandparents' sake? Do I just tell them the truth even though they might take my father's side?

tl;dr: My alcoholic biological father tried to ruin my wedding and I'm scared to talk to my grandparents about it because they might take my father's side.

drat, this is really similar to my wife's situation. Raised by grandparents, mom tries to sabotage wedding, similar relationship with mom, etc. We eventually cut her mother off entirely after a suicide threat. Basically, her mom called us and said she was committing suicide because of us. We figured it was fake but also figured she wanted us to think it was fake so we'd look bad if we didn't call 911. So we did call 911 and she was embarrassed when the first responders showed up to her apartment which had multiple family members in it, all waiting to see if my MIL was right about my wife not caring enough to call 911. My wife was worried it would affect her relationship with her grandparents but they were just like "lol your mom is a loving rear end in a top hat. Good. Never talk to her again."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Doc Hawkins posted:

He has a misdemeanor. Speeding is a misdemeanor.

I'm pretty sure in my state speeding is only a misdemeanor if you're doing 30+ mph over the limit, and even then it's not the speeding that's a misdemeanor it's the automatic reckless driving charge that comes with being popped for 30+ over.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

I [30/F] want to cut ties with my biological father [53/M] who tried to sabotage my weddingPersonal issues

drat, this is really similar to my wife's situation. Raised by grandparents, mom tries to sabotage wedding, similar relationship with mom, etc. We eventually cut her mother off entirely after a suicide threat. Basically, her mom called us and said she was committing suicide because of us. We figured it was fake but also figured she wanted us to think it was fake so we'd look bad if we didn't call 911. So we did call 911 and she was embarrassed when the first responders showed up to her apartment which had multiple family members in it, all waiting to see if my MIL was right about my wife not caring enough to call 911. My wife was worried it would affect her relationship with her grandparents but they were just like "lol your mom is a loving rear end in a top hat. Good. Never talk to her again."

She made more effort keeping him in her life than most parents do with the kids they're raising. Only two things he did for her was deposit some sperm and walk out of her life before he did more damage. She should just tell her grandparents the whole story, but regardless of what they say, never ever get back in touch with him. Get a restraining order if necessary.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

Yeesh; poor gal. I'm sure the grandparents know their son is an alcoholic piece of crap and are quietly disappointed.

I have the opposite problem. I cut ties with a cousin that's a severely alcoholic shithead (ten years ago he attacked me when he was drunk and coked out of his mind). My aunt keeps trying to force us to 'make up' because 'you're family! You were best friends growing up!'

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Anne Whateley posted:

This was my dad's main hobby when I was little. We lived in a super old house and this was way pre-youtube, so he would be balancing the Readers' Digest Home Guide on one arm and using the other to just lay waste to the plumbing, heat, plaster, framing, you name it.

He didn't improve, I think by the time I was 10 my mom just put her foot down, because it was so much cheaper to pay a repair guy before Dad double-hosed it up.

My mom bought a house from a guy who was like this, at one point she had to have some rewiring done and found that he'd spliced an electrical circuit several times through a few studs, with visible dark areas where the wire was contacting the wood. If I remember right the electrician basically told her the only reason the house hadn't burned down yet was because there wasn't any insulation in that wall. The main breaker for the house was also overrated, beyond the capacity of the service from the utility lines; she wound up having the breaker box totally replaced.

Also she found out the hard way that he didn't even bother filing for a permit when he built a garage attached to the house, after she had to get the garage roof rebuilt because he'd completely hosed it up.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The smart redditor who cut out her dad really underestimates her grandparents. I bet a whole bitcoin they would side with her completely.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
Lol never mind

girl pants fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 22, 2017

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Nitr0 posted:

Erin from the office

damnit kimmy

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
My [27 F] boyfriend [28 M] spent over $500 on himself for Christmas, got me something less than $10Relationships

quote:

For background:

I am a PhD student and I'm poor as anything. I make $25,000 a year in an expensive area to live. It's really hard. I have about a year and a half to go.

My bf, who've I've been with for about eight years and with whom I live, went a different path and makes a great amount of money. Like $120,000. He's very comfortable.

We do live together but we don't share finances completely. It's sort of a me sending him rent via PayPal kind of thing. But I can't say he's not generous I suppose, though they're all things he benefits from: for example, nicer apartment than I could afford on my own, furniture, etc.

However, it gets to me that he lives at a certain "income level" while I don't. What I mean by this is that he clearly is enjoying his money, whereas I stress and agonize about how I'm going stretch what money I have to make it through the month, often on basic necessities such as train travel (I live an hour from school) and sometimes food. If I were to flat out say "I can't afford food" I'm sure my boyfriend would cover me but it would be a rather humiliating conversation. Often when I've been desperate I've asked him for a "loan" (I always pay it back as soon as I have money) of about $100-$200, and he isn't really happy about it.

This is all to say... Christmas, ah, the most awkward time of year for someone who doesn't have money (me.) I can't afford gifts even though some friends/family insist on giving me some.

And I would say the awkwardness includes my bf. For years he would give me a lot of gifts. Then, about two years ago, it stopped. He just stopped giving me gifts. Sometimes, in like October, he'd buy me something that was like $50 and say "This is your Christmas gift" but it was never anything I asked for or wanted. It would often be like, he thinks my closet should be more organized so he buys me bins and storage stuff.

This year, I got him about three gifts, despite the fact that it was going to kill me honestly. I threw it on the last that I had on my credit card and just lived with the anxiety. I didn't want him to end up buying me gifts and I have nothing for him to give back.

Last night, I was wrapping the last of his gifts and he came in and was like "oh, you got me gifts? what are they?" (teasingly) and then said "I didn't get you anything just so you know." And I was like "ok..." Then, he corrected himself, "Well I got you one little thing, something small."

Today, we're both off. He came home with a big package. I was a little excited and said "is that for me?" and he was like "NO!" and opened it. It was an extremely expensive suit. I know how much it costs because I had been there with him when he had bought the same suit in a different color. I didn't say anything and then as he opened it he said "This is my Christmas gift for myself."

Later today, a small package came, fedexed overnight. I can tell by the brand name that it's either a Christmas ornament or a mug (I know the company, have bought from them before.) He was like "don't touch that, it's your gift!"

So... he most certainly got me something, small, a mug/glass/ornament/etc whatever.

However. this is the context of... back in October, I asked him if he could help me with even $100 or $200 towards a new computer. My computer has broken (half the keyboard just doesn't work at all) and is very old (it's been on death's door for a while now.) I do all my work from my computer... I work on my dissertation, do grantwriting, grade essays, etc. all from my computer. I live off that thing. I won't be able to afford even a lovely one used or a small new one like a chrombook probably until February, when I get a big teaching grant (big for me. It's like $5,000.)

I know this makes me sound really petty and selfish, but it's hard to watch someone really enjoying their money/lifestyle while attempting not to burst into tears when my credit card gets declined when I try to buy a subway ride. That's really how bad it gets sometimes. I have no parents or other family that can help me, so it is just up to me.

I want to be able to talk to him about this but I also don't want to seem selfish or money grabbing. I know he wants to get married at some point in the next two years but like what will happen then, will we combine finances or just continue with me living at my income level and he at his? I feel incredibly resentful and stressed about this and I just don't know how to approach him, or if I'm even in the right to feel this way?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

maskenfreiheit posted:

My [27 F] boyfriend [28 M] spent over $500 on himself for Christmas, got me something less than $10Relationships

I'm sure the pre-nup he'll have her sign if they get married will be legendary.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Gifts are his love language, and he loves himself more than her.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Dienes posted:

I'm sure the pre-nup he'll have her sign if they get married will be legendary.

A reasonable pre-nup (Ex: I keep my retirement account if we split) will hold up.

A “legendary” one will be thrown out and he’ll be paying alimony in much greater amounts than if he’d write a reasonable one.

(You can put 18k into a 401k and 5500 into an IRA each year. Make those untouchable and you’re gravy)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

maskenfreiheit posted:

Jesús, what a piece of poo poo (him, not her). I hate the thought of being stuck with a free loading girlfriend, but drat. If there's that much of an income disparity you buy her a goddamn laptop for less than a percent of your yearly and she'll wear the professor costume for you.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

He seems kind of an rear end, especially getting grumpy at loaning her $100 or $200, but it seems like there's more going on there with "For years he would give me a lot of gifts. Then, about two years ago, it stopped." Also, who overnight fedexes a $10 gift?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

someone who forgot to get a gift for their girlfriend

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
My brother has a history of abuse and expects us to forgive and forget every time

quote:

I will start off when I 24F was 11 and my brother 28M was 15. He had a friend spending the night and while I was in bed in my room they both snuck into my room and his friend sexually assaulted me while my brother watched. I told my mother and we went to court over it and my brother and his friend just got a slap on the wrist. Well my family and I all tried to forget this situation but of course our relationship was never the same. Growing up him and his friends were always bringing drugs and alcohol around my sister. (Sister is 3 years younger than me) more recently my brother, sister, brothers boyfriend, and his sister all went on vacation together. They were drunk and my brothers boyfriend 30M punched my then 19F sister in the face. Afterwards my brother did not check on my sister and went to bed with his boyfriend like nothing happened. We have cut off contact since then but my brother is constantly bugging my mom to get us to apologize to him and talk to him again. He also has my Aunt now trying to get us to make up but he himself has never tried to even call us or anything. He just hides behind family members. My sister and I are done and want nothing to do with him ever again. But he won’t leave it alone and continues to play the victim.

:stare:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

maskenfreiheit posted:

My brother has a history of abuse and expects us to forgive and forget every time

I would murder my own son.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

therobit posted:

I would murder my own son.

Why stop there, build a device to resurrect the dead and kill him again

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

maskenfreiheit posted:

:killing:

Kill the son, kill the parents, kill the aunt, kill kill kill!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

maskenfreiheit posted:

For some reason I saw a confederate flag rising over the background of that post.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Outrail posted:

For some reason I saw a confederate flag rising over the background of that post.

roll tide!

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
My brother [18M] girlfriend [18F] won't let him hang out with me [16F] and that is driving our family apart.

quote:

I enjoy hanging out with my brother. He will go to college next year and I know I won't see him as often. I started hanging out with him this year a lot more, since I won't see him as often next year. We watch TV and play video games together.

However, He started dating a girl, who gets jealous easily. She saw me hugging him and she told me to "get my filthy hands off her". My brother told me that I am his sister and she just called me a thorn in their relationship. One time at my house, she took me aside and said that if they broke up due to his infidelity, she would blame me. One time at the gym, she saw me working out, and said that I will have no luck "stealing her man" and that I should "find another boyfriend". I had a phone wallpaper of a family vacation we took and she got angry that "another girl had her man's photo" and forced me to delete it. She also slapped my brother for choosing to go to the movies this weekend with me and not her. He already hung with her every day last week.

What do I do? I enjoy hanging out with my brother, but his girlfriend hates me. My brother lacks the spine to stand up to her, and tolerates her rude behavior towards me and my parents just because she is his first girlfriend, and that he never had any luck before . How do I tell him to grow a spine and get his girlfriend to respect me more? Or is hanging out with him less a better idea?

TL;DR: My brother's girlfriend won't let him hang out with me and that is driving our family apart. Am I wrong to spend time with my brother?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

maskenfreiheit posted:

My brother [18M] girlfriend [18F] won't let him hang out with me [16F] and that is driving our family apart.

Girlfriend jealous of boyfriends loving sister?! How the fu

Outrail posted:

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
*whistling dixie*

e:f;b

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
After the Santa Claus guy I can't rule out that she literally doesn't know what "brother" means.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Krazyface posted:

After the Santa Claus guy I can't rule out that she literally doesn't know what "brother" means.

"He's :airquote: 'like a brother to you' :airquote:? I'm not an idiot you hussy - I've read about ladder theory!"

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

if that's functioning alcoholism I'm the loving messiah of alcoholics.

I was married to a functional alcoholic and if someone only thinks an alcoholic is like what you see on TV being the stereotype of winos, it's easy to not realize how much of a problem a functional alcoholic has because they're able to hold down a job and present the facade of just being someone who enjoys a beer now and then. My ex was able to polish off a 30 pack of beer a night with wrapping up the evening with tumblers of screwdrivers with just enough orange juice for color. I was made out to be some sort of a shrew when I'd say he can't be drinking since everyone insisted there was nothing wrong with a man who works hard unwinding with a beer. It would never be just a beer and it was always a race to try to get him to use his paycheck on the some of the overdue bills or groceries for the kids before blowing it all on booze. Granted I didn't stick around 20 years like that poster did, I left with the kids the night he tried to kill me.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

M_Sinistrari posted:

I was married to a functional alcoholic and if someone only thinks an alcoholic is like what you see on TV being the stereotype of winos, it's easy to not realize how much of a problem a functional alcoholic has because they're able to hold down a job and present the facade of just being someone who enjoys a beer now and then. My ex was able to polish off a 30 pack of beer a night with wrapping up the evening with tumblers of screwdrivers with just enough orange juice for color. I was made out to be some sort of a shrew when I'd say he can't be drinking since everyone insisted there was nothing wrong with a man who works hard unwinding with a beer. It would never be just a beer and it was always a race to try to get him to use his paycheck on the some of the overdue bills or groceries for the kids before blowing it all on booze. Granted I didn't stick around 20 years like that poster did, I left with the kids the night he tried to kill me.

Sorry you had to deal with that, alcoholism is a killer and miserable and it's destroyed a lot of people I cared about. To this day I absolutely understand the temperance movement.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That looks like the potential for an embarrassing but profitable sexual harassment lawsuit.

Also, something about putting the dildo into the fleshlight as an avant-garde decoration.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Lol "could this be sexual harassment?"

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Oh no, a dildo and a vagina, no woman has ever seen a set of those and certainly not in such close proximity to one another!

Like, dude totally has a profitable court date coming up but also sounds insufferable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Scathach posted:

Oh no, a dildo and a vagina, no woman has ever seen a set of those and certainly not in such close proximity to one another!
I mean. It's reasonable to be uncomfortable when they're being used to humiliate another person in an inappropriate gift. The women weren't silent because they were scandalized at seeing a dildo, in all liklihood, they were silent because they recognized sexual harassment and didn't find it funny, even directed at a dude.