Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I think the one thing the original movies got right is a proper X-Men movie should have an established team/teachers of original and giant sized and a solid group of new comers/students made up of Gen X and modern and then cycle them up or out with every sequel.

What they can't seem to get right is a strong line up and casting for anyone who isn't Wolverine, Xavier, and Magneto.

I'd love it if a new trilogy only showed Magneto giving speeches on TV, first in a political debate setting, then at a rally he's attacked at where he kills a bunch of FoH, and then finally being interviewed from his compound on Genosha after fleeing the country. They could even nuke Genosha like in the comics giving him a martyr's death(best thing that ever happened to the character), really drive home the Malcolm X allegory.

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It took George Lucas like twenty years to get the Tuskegee airman movie made. George fuckin Lucas. No one would back that project. Then when it finally came out a lot of people downplayed it like "Oh it's not that hard to make a movie with a black cast, Lucas is just exaggerating for attention"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wasn't there already an HBO film about the same thing though?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's very facile to think racism is the only possible reason that piece of poo poo couldn't get funding.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
There was a TV movie in 95 with Larry Fishburne in it... Wait, why are we talking about the Tuskegee Airmen?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It took George Lucas like twenty years to get the Tuskegee airman movie made. George fuckin Lucas. No one would back that project. Then when it finally came out a lot of people downplayed it like "Oh it's not that hard to make a movie with a black cast, Lucas is just exaggerating for attention"

Didn't he say something along the lines of "There are no other all Black lead movies," or "No other movies staring black people?" Which confused a hell of a lot of people.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Anora posted:

Didn't he say something along the lines of "There are no other all Black lead movies," or "No other movies staring black people?" Which confused a hell of a lot of people.

He said it was one of the first all-black action movies ever made. To my knowledge, he's right. He also said it was basically impossible to get studios to put any real amount of money behind an all black cast, which is also true; I'm trying to think of one other majority-black cast movie with a budget over 50 million. Bad Boys 2, I guess.

Don't get me wrong, Red Tails was poo poo, but George Lucas's intentions were great.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 22, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Lurdiak posted:

It's very facile to think racism is the only possible reason that piece of poo poo couldn't get funding.
Well...yeah? Kinda? We're talking about bloody George Lucas here, not Colin Trevorrow (to toss a completely random example). If a huge name like Lucas can't get a project funded, even in the 2010s, there's probably a more thorough reason behind it than just "heh he's such a loser amirite?"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

And he was trying to make it since before the prequels when his name was basically money and everyone loved him

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like Spielberg could have made it happen though maybe I'm being naive on that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He probably could. George Lucas' name was never worth as much as it should have been because he was apparently unbearable even for Hollywood. People in Hollywood like George Lucas less than the pedophile who fled to Europe.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Seriously? I was always under the impression that Lucas was quite well-liked by his peers.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

He probably could. George Lucas' name was never worth as much as it should have been because he was apparently unbearable even for Hollywood. People in Hollywood like George Lucas less than the pedophile who fled to Europe.

Well, it is Hollywood after all...
:edgy:

Sgt. Politeness posted:

There was a TV movie in 95 with Larry Fishburne in it... Wait, why are we talking about the Tuskegee Airmen?

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I think the one thing the original movies got right is a proper X-Men movie should have an established team/teachers of original and giant sized and a solid group of new comers/students made up of Gen X and modern and then cycle them up or out with every sequel.

What they can't seem to get right is a strong line up and casting for anyone who isn't Wolverine, Xavier, and Magneto.

I'd love it if a new trilogy only showed Magneto giving speeches on TV, first in a political debate setting, then at a rally he's attacked at where he kills a bunch of FoH, and then finally being interviewed from his compound on Genosha after fleeing the country. They could even nuke Genosha like in the comics giving him a martyr's death(best thing that ever happened to the character), really drive home the Malcolm X allegory.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

This flow of conversation has been...odd(?) to say the least.
At any rate, I'd say (assuming that ABC's post was in relation to Sgt. P's) that, as comics have shown, it's easier to sell aliens/non-human genocide metaphors(/characters) than it is to sell real-life minority ones. Sure, it'd be hard to get a movie about the Tuskegee Airmen sold, but what if they were mutants? And instead of being black, what if they were red, blue, and black(literally)?

side-note: Does anyone have that message about Marvel addressing diversity where they literally mention pink and green people as part of their initiative?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
What if they were Tusken Airmen?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

is he still alive?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I legit have a black tails poster in my room. Don't judge me, the cast is fiiiiiine.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Finally saw Thor 3 yesterday. It was pretty good.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Aphrodite posted:

Of course they prefer the pedophile. :smuggo:

(Look it's a joke that had to be made twice.)

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

fruit on the bottom posted:

Get help!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

I didn’t like that. It seemed humiliating.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm not a big fan of the Thor stuff generally, but it is for sure up there as one of my favorite Marvel films. I liked how they expanded the canon and also used the supporting characters/cameos.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

It was, hence why Loki hates it. He probably can't stop his brother from doing it anyway, though. Seemed like a fun goofy thing super powered brothers might do though, and everyone laughed at it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Fingers McLongDong posted:

It was, hence why Loki hates it. He probably can't stop his brother from doing it anyway, though. Seemed like a fun goofy thing super powered brothers might do though, and everyone laughed at it.

(I know, in fact my post was almost word for word what Loki said ;))

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

(I know, in fact my post was almost word for word what Loki said ;))

:downs:

goons arguing about pedantics and what is/isn't funny has broken me

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It’s also funny to me because as far as these things go, “help me” is so much more tame than turning into a snake and ambush-stabbing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Not to me it's not.

I saw it about a week ago. Fun movie and some good silly moments. A little jarring held up against the tone of the other Thor movies (which, even when I liked them, were rather bland and generic), but good on its own.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I thought the other Thor movies were ok but super bland and didn't really have their own "flavor" like the other movies felt like they did. Ragnarok though, was definitely a standout and very memorable. Colorful, extremely 80's electronic/metal, funny, Jeff Goldblum. I also loved Thor going super-saiyan at the end on the bridge, it was like a big payoff moment for the other movies not really making Thor seem super powerful. Plus he immediately does the M. Bison flying attack after he powers up and I love it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I just loved that whole scene. "I thought the world of you" was a really meaningful line to me.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

It’s also funny to me because as far as these things go, “help me” is so much more tame than turning into a snake and ambush-stabbing.

Yeah, but Loki had the agency for that game.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ava/status/944258928715513856

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ryan Coogler not on Twitter? Mad respect

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

As someone who grew up thinking, "why do all our superhero movies suck?", I love this so much.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Bright on Netflix is way better than the reviews suggest and has a few well-done set pieces that are about what being on the receiving side of a comic book character attack would be like.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

^^^^^Hell Yeah!

This is awesome and the number one reason why I'm more hyped about this movie than anything else right now.

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 23, 2017

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

bright is not as bad as the reviews say but its also not really good

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I thought it was great, it was at least what I expected/wanted it to be. It's few cliches were the kind I still like but I'm a big Shadowrun fan so I might be biased.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

poly and open-minded posted:

bright is not as bad as the reviews say but its also not really good

Sorry if it's not really good it's automatically the worst movie of the year or possibly all time, there is no in between anymore

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Bright on Netflix is way better than the reviews suggest and has a few well-done set pieces that are about what being on the receiving side of a comic book character attack would be like.

Ignoring who wrote the script because the guy seems to be about to get in to poo poo, yes, it is a nice cop buddy action explosions movie where one of the cops happens to be an orc. (I haven't finished it watching it).

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

And other assorted images at ComicBookMovie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

That is really cool

• Locked thread