Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Man that typo was probably influenced by my subconscious. Where is my freakin burger...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

Yeah, John Wick 2 wasn't great, mainly because they took the hidden underground assassin world, a concept that is neat but doesn't really hold up if you think about it too much, and expanded on it to the absurd degree that pretty much every resident of New York City is an assassin but they're apparently all trying to keep it secret from one another.

In what world could this ever be a bad thing

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

raditts posted:

Yeah, John Wick 2 wasn't great, mainly because they took the hidden underground assassin world, a concept that is neat but doesn't really hold up if you think about it too much, and expanded on it to the absurd degree that pretty much every resident of New York City is an assassin but they're apparently all trying to keep it secret from one another.

Bingo. The vagueness of John Wick was one of its appeals: "Killer in weird underground world goes ham because they killed his dog." John Wick 2 spent so, so, so goddamn much time on world-building and it was so much the worse for that.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I loved the expanded world-building in John Wick 2, and can't wait to see how insane it gets in part 3, once we get into the mythology of the Illumina... I mean High Table.

But I forgot Dredd, and it really is good. That belongs on any worthy list of top 21st Century action movies.

Has anyone seen that new John Woo movie? Is it any good? The Killer, Hard Boiled, Hard Target, and Face/Off are all all-time greats for me.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The world building is cool

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I have to agree with Raddits about John Wick 2, the fact that literally everyone is a secret assassin was real dumb.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yep it made for cool action scenes, but was dumb. I felt a bit let down about it to be honest, but the hall of mirrors tribute to Enter the Dragon was neat. I’m still looking forward to 3.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just thought most of the plot didn't make any sense at all.

I just saw an ad for the new mythbusters, and it looks dire.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

The first F&F is great just because its a heist movie where the big-ticket items they're stealing are bulky CRTs and DVD players and camcorders.

oh man that one in the lower-right corner has a built in VHS

i'd heist that poo poo too

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The latest two Great News episodes are great.

rubberrazors
Nov 1, 2011

I feel that I'm the only person who still watches Shameless. On the other hand Riverdale turned into straight trash.

Why am I so lost?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

rubberrazors posted:

I feel that I'm the only person who still watches Shameless. On the other hand Riverdale turned into straight trash.

Why am I so lost?

I still watch Shameless and I think this season's been pretty dang good so far. I'm waiting for whatever horrible third act gut punch they're gonna pull though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Party Plane Jones posted:

That Will Smith movie Bright came out today.

It's not... awful? Like you can plainly see the glimmers of a somewhat interesting movie universe in between absolutely awful jokes and a cliched ending.

It's better than Spectral ended up being anyways but jesus that's 90 million down the drain on something they could have plopped out for 30.

I liked it quite a lot honestly, it's funny and has some good action, it makes the police look like the insane racist assholes they are, and Will Smith actually puts effort into his role. It would work great as a series, it has a very similar vibe to Almost Human

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

The world building is cool

Yeah that's what elevates John Wick from simply being a great action movie to something more interesting. In John Wick 2 it's even more effective. It takes place in a unique and imaginative world rather than just being another standard revenge film

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

rubberrazors posted:

Why am I so lost?

I watch Shameless still! I even made a thread for it:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3839646

Riverdale owns though, sorry.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

I liked it quite a lot honestly, it's funny and has some good action, it makes the police look like the insane racist assholes they are, and Will Smith actually puts effort into his role. It would work great as a series, it has a very similar vibe to Almost Human

Went in wanting to hate it, couldn't get there.

I do think there was way too much none organic swearing.
I'm sure Will Smith has a thing for blonde aussie girls. But he's only human.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Bright is pretty entertaining so far. It's not amazing or anything, but way, way better than reviews are making it seem. If the trailer got your interest it's worth a shot.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I’ve been trying to get people to watch Patriot. During one of my conversations pushing the show the question of what is the most criminally under watched and under appreciated show since 2000 came up. My first thought was Halt & Catch Fire, but critics seem to end up giving the show its proper due (it has made several top 10 lists over the years). Now I think it has to be David Simon’s Treme. Great acting, music, and writing, but it has been pretty much forgotten. Any thoughts or other shows you can think of that have been lost in this now platinum age of TV?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm amused how everyone is jumping on Netflix for spending *gasp* $90mil on Bright when Warner can drop $300mil on trash like Justice League and get a pass and Disney can drop $230mil on another Pirates movie that no one asked for.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

nate fisher posted:

I’ve been trying to get people to watch Patriot. During one of my conversations pushing the show the question of what is the most criminally under watched and under appreciated show since 2000 came up. My first thought was Halt & Catch Fire, but critics seem to end up giving the show its proper due (it has made several top 10 lists over the years). Now I think it has to be David Simon’s Treme. Great acting, music, and writing, but it has been pretty much forgotten. Any thoughts or other shows you can think of that have been lost in this now platinum age of TV?

Terriers. It got great reviews and was in all the best of 2010 lists, sure, but its one season run means that it's largely forgotten now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

bull3964 posted:

I'm amused how everyone is jumping on Netflix for spending *gasp* $90mil on Bright when Warner can drop $300mil on trash like Justice League and get a pass and Disney can drop $230mil on another Pirates movie that no one asked for.

Bright looks way cheaper than 90 million. I think Will Smith has been speaking to Adam Sandler about how to get dem profits.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Maybe I didn't notice before but watching The Librarians on TNT and they're now advertising The Alienist as a "limited series."

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

My personal opinion - which no doubt won’t get many takers - has to be John From Cincinnati.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Terriers. It got great reviews and was in all the best of 2010 lists, sure, but its one season run means that it's largely forgotten now.

I never watched it. Is it worth watching for just one season?

Escobarbarian posted:

My personal opinion - which no doubt won’t get many takers - has to be John From Cincinnati.

I’m not sure I fully agree with you , but there were a couple of episodes that were definitely A+. I would of loved to see where the show would’ve of went in season 2.

If you’re going to mention JFC I would add Carnivale to the list.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

nate fisher posted:

I never watched it. Is it worth watching for just one season?

Definitely, it's a complete plot arc and the show runner answered the only dangling plot bits after they knew for sure it was never coming back.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

nate fisher posted:

Daybreak is my favorite go to for best show no one remembers/saw. There is also a warm place in my heart for Kings which I want to recommend to everyone but I lost my DVD copy of it and have not actually rewatched it in years, so I have no idea how well it holds up.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Terriers ends pretty conclusively. Yeah, they could've wrote another story for Season 2, but the season's story ends.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
You can definitely tell that they were hoping for a back 9 order. They bounced through so many things in that last episode.

Terriers is still very very good though.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

nate fisher posted:

I want to see a Venn diagram of people who love F&F, SoA, and who also think John Wick is the greatest action movie of the 21st century. Trash opinions.

SoA is loving terrible but the Fast and Furious movies are mostly really fun and John Wick legit is probably the best American action movie of the 21st century. I guess that would put me in a weird part of the venn diagram?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

SoA is loving terrible but the Fast and Furious movies are mostly really fun and John Wick legit is probably the best American action movie of the 21st century. I guess that would put me in a weird part of the venn diagram?

It's an interesting diagram, because there's gonna be a big overlap of people who have no taste and love macho poo poo.

But, a lot of SoA fans think it's serious business and will consider F&F to be dumb poo poo. Same for John Wick fans. There will be some overlap there, but also SoA fans who also think that John Wick is too silly and also that Keanu Reeves isn't a real man. There will be John Wick fans who don't like garbage misogyny shows and hate SoA.

Then there will be people who like fun more than violence and really only like F&F.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Snak posted:

that Keanu Reeves isn't a real man.

Motherfucker does all his own stunts, and is a master marksman and martial artist.

https://youtu.be/rCIgpUTvfsA

The fact he's so good at that poo poo is why they could do long shots in the John Wick movies- they never had to hide a stuntman.

He also gives away a shitload of his pay and gives up his seat to people on the subway. Keanu is one of the baddest motherfuckers working in film.

E: I know you weren't saying he's not a real man in that post. I just like to show people that for all his flatness, he is definitely not a lazy actor.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 23, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
if Keanu Reeves offered to give up his seat on the subway to me, I would politely decline and inform him that because of the John Wick movies I loving owe him that seat and will happily stand in his presence

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Motherfucker does all his own stunts, and is a master marksman and martial artist.

https://youtu.be/rCIgpUTvfsA

The fact he's so good at that poo poo is why they could do long shots in the John Wick movies- they never had to hide a stuntman.

He also gives away a shitload of his pay and gives up his seat to people on the subway. Keanu is one of the baddest motherfuckers working in film.

E: I know you weren't saying he's not a real man in that post. I just like to show people that for all his flatness, he is definitely not a lazy actor.

I know that, but people who idolize masculinity don't all see him that way.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

bull3964 posted:

I don't give a poo poo what they spend, but their strategy with no theatrical run is beyond stupid. It's one of the few things Amazon is smarter about than Netflix.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Snak posted:

I know that, but people who idolize masculinity don't all see him that way.

Hence the edit.

Honestly, I wish that his behavior would leak into the idea of badassery, but he's also so humble about that poo poo I know it never will (but that's part of why he's so cool)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Someone show those people Wolverine singing and dancing on Broadway

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Norwegian Rudo posted:

I don't give a poo poo what they spend, but their strategy with no theatrical run is beyond stupid. It's one of the few things Amazon is smarter about than Netflix.

Why in the hell would I want to go to the theater to see something I can see at home?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Hence the edit.

Honestly, I wish that his behavior would leak into the idea of badassery, but he's also so humble about that poo poo I know it never will (but that's part of why he's so cool)

If you haven't, you need to check out Man of Tai Chi, which Reeves directed, but is mostly a platform for his stuntman friend Tiger Chen to star in and be awesome. Tiger Chen is protagonist and Keanu Reeves is the villain. Straight up old-school "martial arts tournament" movie plot.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Snak posted:

If you haven't, you need to check out Man of Tai Chi, which Reeves directed, but is mostly a platform for his stuntman friend Tiger Chen to star in and be awesome. Tiger Chen is protagonist and Keanu Reeves is the villain. Straight up old-school "martial arts tournament" movie plot.

I have loved martial arts movies since I bought a Bruce Lee box set in third grade and Man of Tai Chi is an all time favorite

It nails the structure of a proper Kung fu film in ways I haven't seen since the classics

Underdog protagonist and gloating villain, feats of strength, it's all there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hence the edit.

Look, he doesn't wear a MAGA hat or shoot at ducks, he's not a real man.

• Locked thread