Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

redleader posted:

For me this change may not be game breaking but heart breaking. It completely makes the game not fun for me, which saddens me a lot.

:raise:

your enjoyment of the game is based on belt compression?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Are you surprised? This is a game about automation.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I exclusively registered on the forums to report this as well.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
The sideloading stuff is weird and I hope it gets addressed to make sure the behavior is consistent at least. Underground belts violating the laws of physics was always dumb and I'm glad it's gone.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I hope we're being trolled

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

This reminds me of the guy who posted a giant essay on why underground belts should give compression. I think his main point was that it's compact so he gets more effective use of beacons. And, as we all know, more numbers = better game design. He also said that it was more intuitive, and didn't really elaborate on why he thought that.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Factorio is pretty much an autistic bonsai tree so how can y’all be surprised that someone really enjoyed the belt logistics optimization micro-game and is disappointed it was simplified like that?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

pretty much an autistic bonsai tree

I think we're about due for a new thread title

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gadzuko posted:

I can get behind this

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So to get a compressed belt while side loading it seems you now need to:
-load from the same color belt (red to red, blue to blue)
-load from the same color splitter if loading from a slower belt (yellow to red splitter to red)
-load from a yellow onto a single tile of blue belt to get a compressed red belt.

Survivable, but it's still weird and is the one little edge case that I hope is fixed.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

RyokoTK posted:

Factorio is pretty much an autistic bonsai tree so how can y’all be surprised that someone really enjoyed the belt logistics optimization micro-game and is disappointed it was simplified like that?

His issue was that it was made more complicated since he couldn't just plop underground belts everywhere and needed new designs.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Alkydere posted:

So to get a compressed belt while side loading it seems you now need to:
-load from the same color belt (red to red, blue to blue)
-load from the same color splitter if loading from a slower belt (yellow to red splitter to red)
-load from a yellow onto a single tile of blue belt to get a compressed red belt.

Survivable, but it's still weird and is the one little edge case that I hope is fixed.

Or just use this handy mod until it gets fixed: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Klonan/belt_buffer

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

PerrineClostermann posted:

I can get behind this

I think we already had this thread names exactly that once. At least I remember seeing that expression in this thread before.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nalesh posted:

Or just use this handy mod until it gets fixed: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Klonan/belt_buffer
You can do the same thing if you use a mod that enables loaders, since a loader will always output at perfect compression.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Gadzuko posted:

Agreed

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Factorio: My heart aches for optimal belt compression

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

concise posted:

Factorio:Myheartachesforoptimalbeltcompression

Fixed to optimize thread title compression

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Paper Tiger posted:

concise posted:

Factorio:Myheartachesforoptimalbeltcompression

where is your side-loaded belt there mister :colbert:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Collateral Damage posted:

You can do the same thing if you use a mod that enables loaders, since a loader will always output at perfect compression.

Also best used with warehouses, since having chests that are larger than 1x1 makes it easier to feed in multiple inputs to feed out a different number of outputs (and with circuits, you can cascade outputs as well by restricting the belts after the loaders from operating unless the warehouse has X amount of product in it).

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I don't get what the current discussion is about. Was there some special thing happening (that is now gone) where inserters filled underground belts better than regular belts? I never tried that in any of my games.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Paper Tiger posted:

concise posted:

Factorio: MyHeartAchesForOptimalBeltCompression

CamelCase you philistine!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Look compression is important but can we get to the real disaster in this update? You can no longer disassemble cars you're driving to get out of them.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

DontMockMySmock posted:

I don't get what the current discussion is about. Was there some special thing happening (that is now gone) where inserters filled underground belts better than regular belts? I never tried that in any of my games.

Yes, previously the old belt code did some hand-waving with underground belts that made them auto-compress the items on the line. If there was space when an inserter placed an item on an underground belt tile, it would compress perfectly. The new belt code does away with this due to the hand-waving not being needed and everyone's pretty much fine with that part since it was an unintended feature and the new code does wonders for making belts take up lag free.

Unfortunately the new belt code has a bit of weirdness when it comes to previously well known interactions:
https://i.imgur.com/TxqARwE.mp4

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Alkydere posted:

Yes, previously the old belt code did some hand-waving with underground belts that made them auto-compress the items on the line. If there was space when an inserter placed an item on an underground belt tile, it would compress perfectly. The new belt code does away with this due to the hand-waving not being needed and everyone's pretty much fine with that part since it was an unintended feature and the new code does wonders for making belts take up lag free.

Unfortunately the new belt code has a bit of weirdness when it comes to previously well known interactions:
https://i.imgur.com/TxqARwE.mp4

This is apparently a cyclic behavior as the distance between items streches to allow a fully compressed iron-copper-iron-copper-iron lane or is one floating point 1 short of allowing the inner lane to merge in. So about 25% of the time you get both, and the rest you get only the one.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Ideally I think they should just implement loaders or some equivalent that allows for full belt saturation right off the bat and different types of splitters or inserters so that sideloading stuff is unnecessary. The more options the better IMO.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

uPen posted:

Look compression is important but can we get to the real disaster in this update? You can no longer disassemble cars you're driving to get out of them.

Wait, is that a .7 thing? I've done that many times in 0.16

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

necrotic posted:

Wait, is that a .7 thing? I've done that many times in 0.16

Yeah, it's a .7 thing.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I started .16 on a railworld-ish setting with lots of water because water looks neat now and I wanted a little more of a routing challenge.

I may have slightly miscalculated on my ore frequency settings. That's the first iron patch I've found.

I've got 320k iron ore and 133k coal back at base, better make 'em count...

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

DontMockMySmock posted:

Yeah, essentially an underground belt as it's implemented in 0.15 is two containers (one for each side) with capacity equal to a belt of the same length. So unlike a regular belt where the inserter has to wait for a space on the belt to drop an item, it can always drop it on an underground belt as long as the belt side isn't completely full.

Gadzuko posted:

Ideally I think they should just implement loaders or some equivalent that allows for full belt saturation right off the bat and different types of splitters or inserters so that sideloading stuff is unnecessary. The more options the better IMO.
Afaik loaders are already in the game, they're just not enabled. The various loader mods simply enable and add graphics for them.

The best solution would be if inserters were changed so they can always drop items if the belt segment isn't full, because the various compression solutions people come up with are really just a band-aid on the inserter problem.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Xerophyte posted:

I started .16 on a railworld-ish setting with lots of water because water looks neat now and I wanted a little more of a routing challenge.

I may have slightly miscalculated on my ore frequency settings. That's the first iron patch I've found.

I've got 320k iron ore and 133k coal back at base, better make 'em count...

Yeah, when adding a lot of water you have to turn up resource volume or else it just spawns in water and you get nothing.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, when adding a lot of water you have to turn up resource volume or else it just spawns in water and you get nothing.

Yeah, I know that's the mechanic. I'm kind of curious how they've implemented them. Best guess: each resource gets its own Voronoi tesselation with one deposit/cell, then they use gaussian_on_voronoi_centra * noise - threshold to form the resource values, maybe?

Anyhow, I did check the cool new preview thing and thought the map looked fine for the level of scarcity I wanted, but I wasn't really aware of the scale and I promptly forgot where all the deposits were. It doesn't help that I can't take a straight line anywhere, either.

That iron deposit is hooked up now, I just need to add a coal line and I should be able to get to bots and tanks and reactors before I need to scale up again. I'm happy I set the biters to mostly harmless on my little Lakeworld, building my giant circuitous rail lines would be a lot more annoying if I had to clear out serious biter camps.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I read "bots" as "boats" and was about to ask if you had a mod. :v: And yeah, too many Biters on that map would be hell.

As for me, personally I leave biter expansion on, and then have their only evolution cue to be nest destruction. That way I still get swarms of cheap guys to fight against without it being a hassle. The AI can buy all the little bugs it wants with the pollution I give it, it just can't upgrade from it.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Factorio: Side Loader? I barely know 'er

anyway I've been playing around with the new patch and it's been fun, but I want to restart to a new map with more water cliffs and biters to bomb. But I'm sick and tired of dealing with building a new bases. Katherine of Sky had a blueprint that was based on a speed runner's early base. It made red and green science, yellow belt stuff, inserters, miners and assembler 2s. I love how fast it is to set up and how much mileage you get out of it.

Does anyone have a bigger version of that sort of prefabricated base that's goes further into science packs? I'm working on my own that goes all the way up to yellow science, but if one already exists I'd happily steal that :)

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
https://factorioprints.com/view/-Ku5n4tLfmkZN8twwx-k I've been using this mall by mikec and it's amazing, the combinators tell you what are supposed to be on the belts.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

That looks like a mall. What I'm after is a bigger version of this. Specifically the bottom right part.

A smallish, optimized, bare bones factory complex that just makes science. Like, just feed in 4 belts of iron, 3 of copper, 1 steel, etc, and get out 15 science of each type per minute.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Try Gray42's Base In A Box. It's a series of blueprints that you can get to quickly lay down a bunch of different things to get your base off the ground. Covers all the science packs, has a mall, has a "starter" base for the barest first base, and a couple other things. Grab what you want, or get the whole thing.

EDIT: Wow, totally forgot to link the drat thing.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 24, 2017

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Do you have a link to that? Google's not very helpful.

Edit: never mind

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
Is there any way other than doing it by hand to mirror a blueprint? Is there a button somewhere I haven't seen, or do I have to do it manually? I know you can rotate them before placing but rotate does not equal mirror.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
There's a mod that does it, but you have to be careful with things that don't have mirror symmetry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

pretty much an autistic bonsai tree
Mods please