Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Tamamo is apparently getting an animation update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Wait, does Mordred "remember" the events of Fate/Apocrypha? The Root records everything that has ever happened everywhere ever, and the Throne is a subsystem of it, so it wouldn't be impossible that she would have a record of the events that took place in that alt timeline. Some of her dialogue seems to imply it to me, but maybe I'm just not far enough into London's story yet and it's hinting at something different.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Heroes generally do not retain the memories of things that have occurred outside the Throne; they do not remember their summoning, their fights within Holy Grail Wars, etc.

There are some exceptions as is standard for Nasuverse, but mostly they will have a vague inkling of weird things that happened to them, such as Hans remembering a certain other person who shows up but not remembering why.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Stallion Cabana posted:

Heroes generally do not retain the memories of things that have occurred outside the Throne; they do not remember their summoning, their fights within Holy Grail Wars, etc.

There are some exceptions as is standard for Nasuverse, but mostly they will have a vague inkling of weird things that happened to them, such as Hans remembering a certain other person who shows up but not remembering why.

So is Artoria one of those exceptions. Because at least in the UBW anime she sure seemed to remember Kiritsugu.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZiegeDame posted:

So is Artoria one of those exceptions. Because at least in the UBW anime she sure seemed to remember Kiritsugu.
artoria isn't subject to the normal grail system because she always exists in avalon

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
In the normal 'Fate' Timeline she's never actually /dead/, and a proper Servant. She's instead in a bit of looped time stuck perpetually dying at the Battle of Camlann, sent to the modern world as a Servant so she can Holy Grail War, because Merlin Did a Thing so she can get a Wish.

It's complicated.

Do not go to Camelot, it is a silly place.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

ZiegeDame posted:

Yes. Fate/Zero had a lot of weird things going on and I think part of the reason Saber remembers is because she never actually died before becoming a heroic spirit or something like that?

I do not remember Artoria's specific strange circumstances that led to her remembering things from Zero in FS/N.

EDIT: but the posters above me have confirmed what I half remembered.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Gologle posted:

Wait, does Mordred "remember" the events of Fate/Apocrypha? The Root records everything that has ever happened everywhere ever, and the Throne is a subsystem of it, so it wouldn't be impossible that she would have a record of the events that took place in that alt timeline. Some of her dialogue seems to imply it to me, but maybe I'm just not far enough into London's story yet and it's hinting at something different.

With FGO, it's a mix of Chaldea's summoning system being different and it's a fanservice game so references everywhere.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

I assume the reason they don't remember within the standard 'context' of Holy Grail Wars is that if you fought someone multiple times you would end up already knowing who they were, giving you an unfair advantage.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Stallion Cabana posted:

I assume the reason they don't remember within the standard 'context' of Holy Grail Wars is that if you fought someone multiple times you would end up already knowing who they were, giving you an unfair advantage.

Well, ordinarily you're summoning a copy of the heroic spirit recorded in the Throne of Heroes. Whatever happens to the servant after they're summoned is not passed on back. And yeah, Artoria remembers because she wasn't a "real" servant all those times.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
Really wish people would stop casually mentioning things like (London singularity.) Zouken showing up, and the Demonic Fog being a play on words with Makiri, implying he has a big role in the London singularity. without spoiler-tagging them.

I haven't finished London yet, avoided clicking on any spoiler tags or story discussion threads on the subreddit, but leave it to goons to forget not everyone played JP or can rush through the new content, especially with the server downtime.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The answer is that the original VN stated that servants don’t remember stuff from other times they were summoned with Arturia being the exception.

But in the name of fan service in FGO everybody has a feeling they’ve met before or remembers in uncertain terms or something along those lines. The Extra characters and people related to Shirou or Kiritsugu are especially guilty of this.

In any event FGO timeline is pretty explicitly not in the F/SN timeline, but the throne of heroes seems to ignore alternate timelines for the sake of convenience to the plot. So who knows.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Stallion Cabana posted:

They do, though. F/SN Archer talks about facing the original Gungir, which he sure as hell didn't do as a human, and his Reality Marble is filled with Noble Phantasms of the Servant's he's previously fought.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Man, having just finished London, that final scene really made me wanna summon Mordred. Gacha is insidious.

Stallion Cabana posted:

This does nothing to account for all the heroic spirits who knew each other when they were alive.

Crasical posted:

In the normal 'Fate' Timeline she's never actually /dead/, and a proper Servant. She's instead in a bit of looped time stuck perpetually dying at the Battle of Camlann, sent to the modern world as a Servant so she can Holy Grail War, because Merlin Did a Thing so she can get a Wish.

It's complicated.

Do not go to Camelot, it is a silly place.

So tl;dr a wizard did it

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.
[quote="“Stallion Cabana”" post="“479600233”"]
I assume the reason they don’t remember within the standard ‘context’ of Holy Grail Wars is that if you fought someone multiple times you would end up already knowing who they were, giving you an unfair advantage.
[/quote]

As is pointed out in London the Throne doesn’t exist for the sake of grail wars, and the servants fighting each other is more of an abuse of an existing function of reality than the main purpose. It exists to stockpile weapons that can be used to fight threats to the fundamental existence of the world. What is ‘fair’ in the grail war is utterly irrelevant to the original system.

Also for the purposes of FGO at least heroic spirits absolutely return to the Throne, bringing their memories et. al. with them, which is even a weird plot point in Agartha. The Summoning system just ensures that a Servants memories are experienced as if they were anciently old, except for new ones during the current summoning, to keep them from developing problematic behavior traits over time; they leave vague impressions, but only the most incredibly important encounters leave a permanent impression.

Like Quetzalcoatl and Lucha Libre.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I can't find any balanced servants to beat up.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Malissa in Septem has one.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Tired Moritz posted:

I can't find any balanced servants to beat up.

Doing London should fill the requirement. Off the top of my head, Mordred, NRhyme and Babbage all count.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Vengarr posted:

They do, though. F/SN Archer talks about facing the original Gungir, which he sure as hell didn't do as a human, and his Reality Marble is filled with Noble Phantasms of the Servant's he's previously fought.

That's because EMIYA is a counter guardian. He's explicitly not really a heroic spirit like the others are. What happened with him is he made a covenant with the will of mankind to save a life (or multiple ones if, as per the UBW anime which I think is canon he stopped a second Chernobyl), and in return was kept as a permanent retained by it to exterminate threats to man, forever. This supersedes his status in the Throne, so he's an eternal existence that abuses the fact of being part of the Throne to become much, much more powerful than he was in life due to expanded options.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Tamamo is apparently getting an animation update.

That's nice, will she actually do something in the story this time?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Sophism posted:

Really wish people would stop casually mentioning things like (London singularity.) Zouken showing up, and the Demonic Fog being a play on words with Makiri, implying he has a big role in the London singularity. without spoiler-tagging them.

I haven't finished London yet, avoided clicking on any spoiler tags or story discussion threads on the subreddit, but leave it to goons to forget not everyone played JP or can rush through the new content, especially with the server downtime.

Sorry. :doh:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I really wish the pools were mixed a bit more for the new years gacha, or they let us roll on both. Guess I'll settle on Calvary for the Alterego chance..

Also made me realize I own every 5 star assassin in the game besides MHX :v:

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 23, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

An Australian artist is doing art for a new year's CE, which is cool. I think they're Japanese-Australian, but still cool.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

They were a top prize winner in a fanart contest hosted through pixiv some months back, so that's cool.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

knew namie from their pokemon art (which was rad) and their art improved even more when they started the fgo stuff.

pretty rad to see their art in the game now

also holy hell Ibram your assassin luck is pretty drat high, ghosts' luck I guess

Would love Eresh but unlikely so might roll on the right one for a chance at Kiara

boredsatellite fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 23, 2017

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
oh hell yeah that's namie their stuff rules especially their okita/nobu art

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
my pulls so far have been almost entirely Berserkers but I'm wary of using them due to being weak to everything. Is it okay to just stick Lu Bu on my team and go to town?

disclaimer: I'm still in Fuyuki.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

berserker gorilla-ing is a totally viable strategy up through london. if anything berserkers are a great class to level first sicne they're good for farming exp and class dailies to level up other characters.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I just wanna say how much I love Okita's ability to just destroy poo poo and rack up stars.
She is a good friend.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

FInally got a page, and then ran out of AP.

...still missing (I need 5, not 4 like I originally though). :negative:

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

I'm on 3 out of 14 :smith::hf::smith:
And that's not even counting if I want to max ascend Medea in future, which I almost certainly will :smithicide:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
When are they gonna release Jason

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Also, I'm still missing Babbage dammit.

I want my big dumb robot.

Edit: https://imgur.com/gallery/xpGdl

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Dec 23, 2017

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
One Octuplet crystal short of ascending Mordred to 80. Bleh.

Also need 24 fangs for Lancelot's final ascension. Thankfully Jack makes farming Wyvern Island a joke.

RanKizama fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 23, 2017

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Got the heart and talon I needed to ascend Jack and Mordred to 90 from the Mystic Code quests, so now I just need a few more gears and Saber monuments. The 40 AP Saber daily loves giving me Saber pieces instead of monuments though, so that might take a while.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
DW is planning to implement a hard 1.5GB RAM requirement to run Japanese FGO in February, for Android.
http://news.fate-go.jp/2017/1221ztexq/

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

1.5 GB is an odd requirement on a phone. As in you need 1.5GB just for fate or the entire phone with it's services?

My old phone was a Nexus 5x that had 2GB of RAM and it could barely run fate

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 23, 2017

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
1.5GB total, yea.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Retcon posted:

Got the heart and talon I needed to ascend Jack and Mordred to 90 from the Mystic Code quests, so now I just need a few more gears and Saber monuments. The 40 AP Saber daily loves giving me Saber pieces instead of monuments though, so that might take a while.
Which ones drops the Talon??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

RanKizama posted:

Which ones drops the Talon??

Last arrow of the Atlas Academy one drops four.