Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

I suppose "Kara Vaggio" would be right out

Sandra Botticelli. If this caravel goes less than 50 kph

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I saw this on Facebook, had my mind asploded, and had to share:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Aleph Null posted:

True.

Did find this about lady artists of the Renaissance. http://www.artcyclopedia.com/hot/women-artists-of-the-renaissance.html so there were some to pick from.

I noticed you didn't mention Leonardo because, yes, everybody knows who that is.

drat right, dude was a renaissance mad scientist, inventing tanks and helicopters and writing backwards in code. Kids are all about that poo poo. And michaelangelo lying on his back painting the sistene chapel is a famous (if apocryphal) image, and Michaelangelos David is a pretty famous sculpture, so some kids might have at least heard of him. But as a kid I'd never heard of Raphael, and as an adult I'm still not really sure what the non-ninja turtle version of Donatello even did without a quick google.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always like when Batman villains have interesting takes that differ from the norm, like the idea that what the Joker fears most is being sane, as presented in the episode of Brave and the Bold where Batman presents a reality in which he didn't exist while messing with the Joker's head - a reality in which the Joker never went crazy. His reaction to that, seeing the makeup dissolve from his face and himself joining the world of the working stiffs, is pure terror. Either because becoming sane would mean facing all he's done without the veneer of madness to help him cope, or because of a fear of being forgotten or average, it's an interesting thing to explore.

The moments when the Riddler realises that he is in fact mentally ill are cool too, like
1) the famous comic where he accidentally themes a crime after the riddle of the sphinx and when it's pointed out by Batman he asks to be taken to Arkham, because he really intended not to leave any clues this time.

2) the comic where another riddle-themed villain's daughter is trying to talk to him about her father and he literally can only talk in riddles as a prisoner in his own mind.
3) The really good one-shot in the Joker's asylum series where he falls in love with a girl and tries to woo her, learning all he can about her to learn what she likes, and when she finally falls for him after a few months and agrees to marry him, he loses interest because his mind was not actually in love with her. He thought he was, and genuinely wanted to be with her but his brain problems had kicked him in the balls in the worst way - to his illness she was just another riddle to solve.

Despite their other writing problems I also like how the Rocksteady games wrote Nigma in particular, by the last game he clearly isn't taking care of himself and is severely malnourished and sleep-deprived.

Edit: also, on Leonardo da Vinci - he was notoriously paranoid, despite revolutionising the field of optics he never published out of fear of his work being stolen. This paranoia was only made worse when two things happened:

First of all, he was indicted for homosexuality in a sweeping accusation by a guy with a political beef with a bunch of people. The guy indicted a bunch of guys, Da Vinci just happened to get caught in the net - luckily it was dismissed due to the politics and the charges dropped, otherwise Leo may have died way before he was supposed to a long with a bunch of other figures. Then he took a couple of German students, who in fact did attempt to steal his work, which didn't help. My source was this book, so if it's wrong let me know: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Leonardo-V...first+scientist

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:34 on Dec 21, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I keep mixing names up, but yeah, Venus de Milo is the Scrappy Doo of TMNT. Oddly enough the latest cartoon actually has April O'Neil end up playing a similar role and actually fits it much better.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Inescapable Duck posted:

I keep mixing names up, but yeah, Venus de Milo is the Scrappy Doo of TMNT. Oddly enough the latest cartoon actually has April O'Neil end up playing a similar role and actually fits it much better.

Maybe because April is an established character with a job and a purpose in the universe and not some girl thrown in to tick boxes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How can you tick boxes if you don’t have arms

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Escobarbarian posted:

How can you tick boxes if you don’t have arms

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I re-watched Burn After Reading yesterday, which I like more and more with each viewing and, like most Coen Bros films, has a ton of cool subtle poo poo in it.

In the opening scene, they tell Cox "you have a drinking problem" and at the end he's holding a tumbler in one hand and a gun in the other. Then he murders a guy in broad daylight with an axe while wearing a bathrobe.

Clooney's character in the second scene explains that he's never discharged his firearm but, if he were to do so, it would be instinctual and the training automatically would kick in. When Pitt's character comes out the closet he's hiding in, Clooney instantaneously shoots him.

Cox's wife in one scene is being told by Clooney that she hammers people and she gets defensive, saying "I...do...not....hammer!" and each word is punctuated by her hammering her fist on the table.

It was also funny, in light of current events, watching the CIA being baffled by the idea of the Russians being involved in anything.

Lot of subtle poo poo in that film. I notice more every time I see it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Watching I, Robot last night. A much better film than people give it credit for, even if it is Asimov in name only.

I noticed two things. First, you can actually tell that Calvin didn't decommission Sonny because for a split second you can see the duplicate robot's eyes open before dying to the nanites. The copy has yellow eyes, Sonny has blue.

The second moment is at the end of the film. Respecting Sonny at last, Spooner shakes hands with the robot. He uses his biological hand to shake Sonny's damaged hand, showing how both meet each other on the human level rather than the artificial.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I was rewatching Whatever Happened to Baby Jane yesterday and noticed a new bit of foreshadowing of the ending - the sisters are colour coded. Blanche always wears black, or dark colours, while Jane only wears white or pale - this allows the user to realise that Blanche is in the car from the start, and Jane is by the gates because while we never see their faces, the one that attempts the crime is wearing Black, and the one going to unlock the gate is in white. Also, traditionally black is the colour of the antagonist, not white so that foreshadows who's fault the situation really is.

I also like that Jane goes from cruel and completely in control of everything, to losing control of everyone and everything as she slips back into her own delusions and completely regresses back to how she was as a 10 year old - the selfish but not intentionally cruel sister who no longer realises how badly she has hurt Blanche because her grip of reality is by that point a faded dream.

Spoilered as it is a very old movie that a lot of people may not have seen.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

BiggerBoat posted:

I re-watched Burn After Reading yesterday, which I like more and more with each viewing and, like most Coen Bros films, has a ton of cool subtle poo poo in it.

In the opening scene, they tell Cox "you have a drinking problem" and at the end he's holding a tumbler in one hand and a gun in the other. Then he murders a guy in broad daylight with an axe while wearing a bathrobe.

Clooney's character in the second scene explains that he's never discharged his firearm but, if he were to do so, it would be instinctual and the training automatically would kick in. When Pitt's character comes out the closet he's hiding in, Clooney instantaneously shoots him.

Cox's wife in one scene is being told by Clooney that she hammers people and she gets defensive, saying "I...do...not....hammer!" and each word is punctuated by her hammering her fist on the table.

It was also funny, in light of current events, watching the CIA being baffled by the idea of the Russians being involved in anything.

Lot of subtle poo poo in that film. I notice more every time I see it.

Burn After Reading was a lot better than I was expecting. I threw it on one day, not realizing that it was a Coen brothers movie. It took me about a half hour before I figured it out. It's one of my favorites of theirs, and trying to tell my wife about it, she looked at me like I was an idiot, but she wanted to see it for herself.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

Burn After Reading was a lot better than I was expecting. I threw it on one day, not realizing that it was a Coen brothers movie. It took me about a half hour before I figured it out. It's one of my favorites of theirs, and trying to tell my wife about it, she looked at me like I was an idiot, but she wanted to see it for herself.

Oh poo poo. I left out the comedy element of Pitt getting shot. Clooney says his training would kick in (and it did...BANG) but then he immediately dropped the gun, ran downstairs in a panic and then grabbed a kitchen knife and went back upstairs.

I was lukewarm on this movie first time I saw it but dig it more and after seeing ti 3 or 4 times. It's climbing the ranks on my Coen list.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think it proves the genius of the Coens that for a fan of theirs, it's very tough to maintain a consistent ranking of their films because it seems to change every time you rewatch them. I've liked every single Coen bros. movie more the second time I watched it, and usually that keeps happening into a third or fourth viewing.

Their comedies especially have that effect, The Big Lebowski, Burn After Reading, and Hail Caesar! all just get better and better as you rewatch them. And for anyone who hasn't seen Blood Simple, there's a real argument for their debut as still their best film to date.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Burn after reading is awesome, I’ve seen it like 4-5 times now and I distinctly remember not loving it and actually being kinda “meh” about it the first time I saw it. Definitely gets better each time I watch it.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Watched Bright last night and there is a scene where Will Smith and Joel Edgerton's characters are talking in a bathroom and on the wall right behind Joel's orc there is graffiti saying something like "Owen loving sucks". He played Luke Skywalker's uncle Owen in Episode 3.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So does mean 'The LadyKillers' will now somehow be a good movie if I watch it a second time?

Harton posted:

Burn after reading is awesome, I’ve seen it like 4-5 times now and I distinctly remember not loving it and actually being kinda “meh” about it the first time I saw it. Definitely gets better each time I watch it.

That was some harrowing poo poo for a teenager to watch late at night, in the dark, in a strange house.

I still remember the scene with the newspaper hitting the picture window. It wasn't even a scary part, but it startled the poo poo out of me. Then I watched it again years later and was like, "how did I not remember the knife in the hand?".

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Krispy Wafer posted:

So does mean 'The LadyKillers' will now somehow be a good movie if I watch it a second time?

Maybe we shouldn't ask for too much.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

I think it proves the genius of the Coens that for a fan of theirs, it's very tough to maintain a consistent ranking of their films because it seems to change every time you rewatch them. I've liked every single Coen bros. movie more the second time I watched it, and usually that keeps happening into a third or fourth viewing.

Their comedies especially have that effect, The Big Lebowski, Burn After Reading, and Hail Caesar! all just get better and better as you rewatch them. And for anyone who hasn't seen Blood Simple, there's a real argument for their debut as still their best film to date.

Blood Simple is cool and all but there really isn’t

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

Good question, that's one of only a few Coen bros. films I haven't seen. I've seen it mentioned in several "bad movies made by usually great directors" lists, so maybe not.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Blood Simple is cool and all but there really isn’t

Depends on what you're into, but personally yea I agree that it's on the lower end of their top-5. But if you love noir and neo-noir, I don't think they've topped it yet in terms of plot, characters, and visuals.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Everyone seems to hate this one and I've always unashamedly loved it. I mean, poo poo. It's got JK Simmons and Tom Hanks. I legit like it better than Barton Fink or Hudsucker Proxy.

And I suppose it's not subtle but I really enjoy how the facial expression on the husband's portrait every time the old lady looks at it.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

kaesarsosei posted:

Watched Bright last night and there is a scene where Will Smith and Joel Edgerton's characters are talking in a bathroom and on the wall right behind Joel's orc there is graffiti saying something like "Owen loving sucks". He played Luke Skywalker's uncle Owen in Episode 3.

There is a LOT going on with the graffiti and billboards in the background

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

Everyone seems to hate this one and I've always unashamedly loved it. I mean, poo poo. It's got JK Simmons and Tom Hanks. I legit like it better than Barton Fink or Hudsucker Proxy.

And I suppose it's not subtle but I really enjoy how the facial expression on the husband's portrait every time the old lady looks at it.

Tom Hanks is fun enough to carry the movie. It's decent, but definitely a weaker Coen film.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Ladykillers ain't bad, but it's forgettable. Toss it on while you clean house or something.

BiggerBoat posted:

I legit like it better than Barton Fink

woah woah let's not go fuckin' crazy here

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Ladykillers was good.

I've despised Hanks in some things but that was a funny movie.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

My favorite parts of Cohen brother movies are the things going on in the background like Bruce Campbell’s hats in Hudsucker Proxy as his tone changes

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

woah woah let's not go fuckin' crazy here

I suppose I deserve that but I like EVERY Coen Bros film. Ladykillers loving cracks me up.

I'll raise you one. I like LK better than O Brother Where Art Thou, which is filled with clever subtle poo poo but is probably my least favorite film of theirs.

I'll show myself out.

E: Is there an active Coen Bros thread? There was one for a while. Because god drat they're great. Along with Scorcese, their films really, REALLY crowd my top 20 and it's difficult to choose their best. I bet if I made a top 20 list, Martin and Joel and Ethan would have at least 8. Maybe even half.

Raging Bull, Goodfellas, Taxi Driver, Lebowski, Arizona, No Country, Fargo...

Holy poo poo. I didn't know Marty did The Grifters.

I'm rambling though.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 02:48 on Dec 28, 2017

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I saw this on Facebook, had my mind asploded, and had to share:

It's also BS.
Play the scene and his finger is there only for a second.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

I suppose I deserve that but I like EVERY Coen Bros film. Ladykillers loving cracks me up.

I'll raise you one. I like LK better than O Brother Where Art Thou, which is filled with clever subtle poo poo but is probably my least favorite film of theirs.

I'll show myself out.

E: Is there an active Coen Bros thread? There was one for a while. Because god drat they're great. Along with Scorcese, their films really, REALLY crowd my top 20 and it's difficult to choose their best. I bet if I made a top 20 list, Martin and Joel and Ethan would have at least 8. Maybe even half.

Raging Bull, Goodfellas, Taxi Driver, Lebowski, Arizona, No Country, Fargo...

Holy poo poo. I didn't know Marty did The Grifters.

I'm rambling though.

Naw m8, LK is better than O Brother

Unless you count the soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSGuBNopzBw

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
In Burn After Reading, Brad Pitt's character can't read.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

MariusLecter posted:

In Burn After Reading, Brad Pitt's character can't read.

No, that’s just Brad Pitt.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Rather than rank Coens movies, I'll just point out here that John Goodman in any Coens role is a goddamn national treasure.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

John Goodman in any role is a goddamn national treasure.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Avenging_Mikon posted:

No, that’s just Brad Pitt.

Hemingway once wrote that the world is a good place and worth fighting for

I agree that Brad Pitt is illiterate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioBueVTZ0RM

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

That Brad Pitt joke will never die

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Smiling Jack posted:

That Brad Pitt joke will never die

Unlike his literacy

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Unlike his literacy

did you mean illiteracy?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

We only just talked about that! Jeez, you got memory problems or something?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
edit: whoops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

We only just talked about that! Jeez, you got memory problems or something?

He may not be able to read.