Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Uh....sure I guess :shrug:
http://www.slashfilm.com/louis-ck-gravity-falls/

quote:

Louis C.K., who is currently facing allegations of a history of sexual misconduct, has been scrubbed from Disney XD’s reruns of Gravity Falls, where he played a minor character in 2015 and 2016 episodes of the show. The Disney channel has re-dubbed his voice in the three episodes where is character appeared. And no, before you ask, it’s not with Christopher Plummer.

Disney XD has dubbed over Louis C.K.’s role of the Horrifying Sweaty One-Armed Monstrosity with series creator and executive producer Alex Hirsch, according to The Hollywood Reporter. C.K. voiced the character in the 2015 episode “Weirdmageddon: Part 1,” and its 2016 follow-up, “Weirdmageddon: Part 3.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

See, this kind of poo poo is weird.

Like, I'm not sure I have a problem with this example, but in general the idea that being blacklisted can result in your retroactive removal from past projects is a scary one.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Children must never hear the sex mans voice

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If I made a cool tv show I'd want to get sexual abusers out of it too.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

"Horrifying Sweaty One-Armed Monstrosity"

Wondering if anyone else could embody that role as well as he could.

rubberrazors
Nov 1, 2011

GobiasIndustries posted:

I watch Shameless still! I even made a thread for it:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3839646

Riverdale owns though, sorry.

Oh, nice. I was wondering why there was no new thread.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I wish I could remember where I left off with Shameless. I think somewhere in season 3? I wonder if I just start with season 4 if I'd catch up easily, assuming I left a chunk of season 3 unfinished. I really don't feel like taking the time to skip through a bunch of episodes figuring it out.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I wish I could remember where I left off with Shameless. I think somewhere in season 3? I wonder if I just start with season 4 if I'd catch up easily, assuming I left a chunk of season 3 unfinished. I really don't feel like taking the time to skip through a bunch of episodes figuring it out.

They do a p. good recap of the previous season every first episode, you could probably jump in and if you feel like you really don't remember or wanna check it out just go back to 3. Or just jump in on episode 5 of season 3 and see if it feels familiar?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Snak posted:

If you haven't, you need to check out Man of Tai Chi, which Reeves directed, but is mostly a platform for his stuntman friend Tiger Chen to star in and be awesome. Tiger Chen is protagonist and Keanu Reeves is the villain. Straight up old-school "martial arts tournament" movie plot.

Sorry for the completely OT thought but I've always wondered about one thing in this film: Tiger's relationship with the female lead ends very sweetly/chastly - I wondered if that was 'Chinese Film Board' compliant, or more in line with culture, or film genre (just saw the awesome Way of the Dragon which I guess is similar) because drat if I wasn't expecting Tiger to give her a big old snog.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

They do a p. good recap of the previous season every first episode, you could probably jump in and if you feel like you really don't remember or wanna check it out just go back to 3. Or just jump in on episode 5 of season 3 and see if it feels familiar?

I thought about describing what happened where I left off but I honestly don't remember. I remember watching a ways through the part where Frank had moved in with the agoraphobic woman, and I want to say I got to the end of that little arc and a bit past it, but I don't actually remember much beyond that. If there is a recap then I should be fine, though.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I thought about describing what happened where I left off but I honestly don't remember. I remember watching a ways through the part where Frank had moved in with the agoraphobic woman, and I want to say I got to the end of that little arc and a bit past it, but I don't actually remember much beyond that. If there is a recap then I should be fine, though.

I don't remember exactly where that is but feel free to post in the thread, people there are way smarter than me about this stuff and could give you a good jumping off point!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Snak posted:

See, this kind of poo poo is weird.

Like, I'm not sure I have a problem with this example, but in general the idea that being blacklisted can result in your retroactive removal from past projects is a scary one.

It's especially weird because Louis CK was basically an open secret in Hollywood so they definitely knew about it and didn't care until it was public knowledge.

Also, Alex Hirsch himself seems like a nice guy but he's friends with some real horrid people so it comes across a little silly.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Being an open secret doesn't really matter when so many other people also have open secrets. I really believe that when these people work in Hollywood for so long they just get de-sensitized to it and that working with creeps is just an everyday occurrence. Eddie Izzard said in an interview that after living around Hollywood for a while that you really do change. Like the idea of getting plastic surgery goes from being horrendous to as benign as getting a hair cut.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

It's especially weird because Louis CK was basically an open secret in Hollywood so they definitely knew about it and didn't care until it was public knowledge.

Also, Alex Hirsch himself seems like a nice guy but he's friends with some real horrid people so it comes across a little silly.

Man overreacts to sexual assaulters to try and make themselves look like "one of the good ones". Probably out of guilt because he knows he's friends with horrid people.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Alex Hirsch, in a deleted tweet, said that higher ups gave him an ultimatum to either cut the scenes or rerecord it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That is really weird and dumb. But I’m not gonna shed any tears over it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I mean, if you start digitally removing sex pests from every TV show and movie, we're gonna have a whole lot of nothing to watch in very short order. Kevin Spacey is disgusting but that doesn't mean I'm never gonna watch Baby Driver again, and of-course there's the issue that Woody Allen's films aren't being removed from anywhere.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think there can be an exception when it comes to kids stuff though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
precision makes a good point. You shouldn’t not watch Baby Driver again because of Spacey. You shouldn’t watch it again because it’s not that great and super overrated.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Kevin spacey most assuredly tried to molest the titular baby driver

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Escobarbarian posted:

precision makes a good point. You shouldn’t not watch Baby Driver again because of Spacey. You shouldn’t watch it again because it’s not that great and super overrated.

My man.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oh and speaking of Keanu Reeves, this is so great on so many levels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_pzhhxMDT8

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Look how much fun he's having. I love that dude.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
it's a real crime that despite being written by Alex Winter and starring him and Keanu Reeves, Freaked was DOA and barely even has a cult following

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well wasn't it just a direct to HBO thing? I don't think it ever actually aired in theaters.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't have a problem with specifically removing someone who did a bad thing from something.

I'm more worried about it becoming acceptable practice. It's not like Disney cares about the fact that he did something bad, they care about the bad press. So I'm worried that if this sort of thing becomes standard practice, people could be erased from passed media for things that aren't crimes, but that Disney doesn't like because they are controversial. Like people who become politically active, or people who speak out against Disney etc.

If being a wistleblower can not only gently caress up the future of your career, but also erase your past work, that's pretty hosed up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I saw Freaked once when I was young and home sick with a fever and to this day I'm not 100% sure I didn't imagine it even though I know there's like records of it existing on the internet.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Snak posted:

I don't have a problem with specifically removing someone who did a bad thing from something.

I'm more worried about it becoming acceptable practice. It's not like Disney cares about the fact that he did something bad, they care about the bad press. So I'm worried that if this sort of thing becomes standard practice, people could be erased from passed media for things that aren't crimes, but that Disney doesn't like because they are controversial. Like people who become politically active, or people who speak out against Disney etc.

If being a wistleblower can not only gently caress up the future of your career, but also erase your past work, that's pretty hosed up.

And that's exactly why it shouldn't be acceptable in any situation. Because there's no arbiters of what "bad thing" is the right kind of bad thing.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think the kid's show thing is fine, if only for the small chance of some kid liking the character and googling CK or something.

But in general I'm against altering/removing art because someone involved did a bad thing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

I think the kid's show thing is fine, if only for the small chance of some kid liking the character and googling CK or something.

But in general I'm against altering/removing art because someone involved did a bad thing.

yeah that specific Louis CK thing is fine, but then you have stuff like how Netflix has just taken his standup specials off the service entirely which... I understand not wanting to give him residuals or whatever but it's kinda like punishing his fans for something he did. I mean Eddie Murphy's Raw is super problematic but it shouldn't be erased from existence.

plus you know the fact that you'd have to stop playing basically every musician/band that's ever existed if you go down that road

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

precision posted:

yeah that specific Louis CK thing is fine, but then you have stuff like how Netflix has just taken his standup specials off the service entirely which... I understand not wanting to give him residuals or whatever but it's kinda like punishing his fans for something he did. I mean Eddie Murphy's Raw is super problematic but it shouldn't be erased from existence.

plus you know the fact that you'd have to stop playing basically every musician/band that's ever existed if you go down that road

Yeah it's purely for the optics. The Louis ck stuff isn't viewed enough to affect them.

Let's see them remove every Weinstein produced movie from their catalogue...

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

I agree, It doesn't stop motherfuckers making money off Micheal Jackson.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

precision posted:

I mean, if you start digitally removing sex pests from every TV show and movie, we're gonna have a whole lot of nothing to watch in very short order. Kevin Spacey is disgusting but that doesn't mean I'm never gonna watch Baby Driver again, and of-course there's the issue that Woody Allen's films aren't being removed from anywhere.

Your end of 2017 reminder that the director of the Jeepers Creepers franchise is a literal child molestor (he was convicted for it) and he's still apparently getting work.

Hell, Powder was produced by Disney, for chrissakes, who knew about the director's conviction for child molestation during production.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Sup guys and gals.have you seen futureman?no?go watch it now.then seclude yourself in your favorite zen garden and ponder "boy i did not expect that show to be that awesome". Then watch it again,prefirably with your significant other,belly full with your favorite snack.that is all.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Regy Rusty posted:

The world building is cool

I thought it was cool in the first movie, and I think it could have continued to be cool if they didn't go completely off the rails with it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What is the Plummer replacement reference to that everyone thinks themselves super clever to be making?

Re:Bright

There’s some good stuff in there but too much time is spent trying to build up stuff for a sequel. Everything about the prophecy and the whole dark lord stuff does nothing for the movie. Also it can’t seem to decide if the orc is supposed to be naive, dumb or competent but inexperienced.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 24, 2017

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Aphrodite posted:

What is the Plummer replacement reference to that everyone thinks themselves super clever to be making?

Kevin Spacey was written out of a movie made recently, and his scenes were reshot with Christopher Plummer.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Aphrodite posted:

Ridley Scott went and recast Kevin Spacey with Christopher Plummer in his J Paul Gettys movie after the allegations broke. What made it really noteworthy is that they reshot all of the scenes Spacey was in like two weeks and brought the majority of the cast back for the reshoots, so the release date never actually changed. Also Scott made the decision unilaterally and only told the execs he was doing that after he laid out the schedule of the reshoots and offered Plummer the part.

e: beaten

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Your explanation was infinitely more thorough than mine was, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Aphrodite posted:

Re:Bright

There’s some good stuff in there but too much time is spent trying to build up stuff for a sequel. Everything about the prophecy and the whole dark lord stuff does nothing for the movie. Also it can’t seem to decide if the orc is supposed to be naive, dumb or competent but inexperienced.

he reminded me of Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys

• Locked thread