Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

GrAviTy84 posted:

hi, yes, I'll have the sandwich^2 special, thanks

I dunno, I've eaten a lot of square sandwiches.

Five Guys will make you a sandwich^3 if you ask, but that's a lot of greasy burger meat to jam down your throat hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Imagine a hotdog on a treadmill...

In non-shitpost news, I love this recipe for mu shu pancake dough. I guess the boiling water ups the gluten? And rolling two together gets them really thin? I want to try those two techniques with tortillas to get very strong DIY tortillas. Has anybody done this with, say, half flour half masa?

Here's the above pancake but done with Food52's cabbage and mushroom filling:

:ssh: It's basically an excuse to slather hoisin on veggies and call it healthy

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

GrAviTy84 posted:

only in a breadbowl
Useless etymology: the term soup originally referred to bread dipped in broth, a usage whose remanent is the rustic `sop'.

One of the European antecedents to the sandwich was the practice of using trenchers---planks of stale(ish) bread used as plates---which would soak up bits of the meal and then be consumed (or tossed to the dogs) when on the verge of losing structural integrity.

So yeah. Soup in a breadbowl pretty much exactly satisfies the original notions of both `soup' and `sandwich'.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SubG posted:

Useless etymology: the term soup originally referred to bread dipped in broth, a usage whose remanent is the rustic `sop'.

One of the European antecedents to the sandwich was the practice of using trenchers---planks of stale(ish) bread used as plates---which would soak up bits of the meal and then be consumed (or tossed to the dogs) when on the verge of losing structural integrity.

So yeah. Soup in a breadbowl pretty much exactly satisfies the original notions of both `soup' and `sandwich'.

so this is what perfection feels like. :feelsgoodman:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

SubG posted:

im going to pretend i knew that

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

OMGVBFLOL posted:

im going to pretend i knew that

Who doesn't

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

That Works posted:

Who doesn't
SubG

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

SubG posted:

I poo poo you not your stunning etymological pedantry prowess came up over dinner tonight.

Why? Because dino is here for Christmas! It's amazing. Almost as amazing as his cooking is the fact that he laughs at all my dad's stupid jokes. I will understand if y'all have problems controlling your jealousy...

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I'm jealous dino gets to hear stupid dad jokes and I dont

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Wroughtirony posted:

I poo poo you not your stunning etymological pedantry prowess came up over dinner tonight.

Why? Because dino is here for Christmas! It's amazing. Almost as amazing as his cooking is the fact that he laughs at all my dad's stupid jokes. I will understand if y'all have problems controlling your jealousy...

The only dino food i get is when I cook it from his cookbook.

So yes I am jealous

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I haven't hung out with my own dad since he moved to Arizona back in like ... 2009~ish? So having an honest to goodness dad to hear dumb dad jokes from is kind of giving me home-like feelings. Casa de Wroughtparents is kind of great. They built me a "dino-larium". Which is like a lair. In which your local Dino lives.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Does anybody know what would happen if I threw chunks of peeled horseradish in with the potatoes and mushrooms in a pot roast? I can't fine any information online about what happens when you roast horseradish. I know it would lose most of the bite. Would it turn out nice, like sunchoke or salsify? Or would it get bitter and ruin the roast?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Kenning posted:

Does anybody know what would happen if I threw chunks of peeled horseradish in with the potatoes and mushrooms in a pot roast? I can't fine any information online about what happens when you roast horseradish. I know it would lose most of the bite. Would it turn out nice, like sunchoke or salsify? Or would it get bitter and ruin the roast?

I've just seen a few roast recipes with horseradish so I don't think it'd go bitter. I'm curious. Report back please!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Milk Street Radio just did a thing on how to calm down horse radish. They said it mellows to no flavor at all after a day, but that was raw minced and mixed in with mashed potatoes. Roasting may eliminate those enzymes and make it last longer??

If you're concerned, I'd roast it separately wrapped in foil a day ahead, then taste it before adding to your dish to see where it ended up.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Turns out horseradish is sorta stringy and definitely develops a pretty intense bitterness once it's been roasted. However, it flavored the braising liquid very nicely, so in that respect it's sort of like cooking with big chunks of ginger. I'd call this a modest success.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Once when I was 12 I was tasked with making the seder horseradish dip. I was told I'd need vinegar, salt, and horseradish root. So I put all of that (an entire root) into the giant food processor in the church kitchen and hit high. It was a good 30 minutes before anyone could go back into the building.

Welp that's my horseradish story.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

It's the MOST wonderful time, of the year!

All hail my namesake fruit!

Ok, about a month late, but here is my winter squash haul.
The three on the left were from my dad's garden. So far I've eaten them all but one.
I'm pretty sure the green one that my old man grew is Japanese Pumpkin (kabocha), but he had some goofy white-people name for it.

Kenning posted:

Turns out horseradish is sorta stringy

That was my first thought, it's pretty fibrous.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Once when I was 12 I was tasked with making the seder horseradish dip. I was told I'd need vinegar, salt, and horseradish root. So I put all of that (an entire root) into the giant food processor in the church kitchen and hit high. It was a good 30 minutes before anyone could go back into the building.

Welp that's my horseradish story.

Yeah, I didn't realize how much it would suck to grate a poo poo ton of horseradish.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I feel like whenever I grate fresh horseradish it’s not that hot. It takes a couple hours to wake up.

I use a micro plane maybe that makes a difference?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

It's the MOST wonderful time, of the year!

All hail my namesake fruit!

Ok, about a month late, but here is my winter squash haul.
The three on the left were from my dad's garden. So far I've eaten them all but one.
I'm pretty sure the green one that my old man grew is Japanese Pumpkin (kabocha), but he had some goofy white-people name for it.

That was my first thought, it's pretty fibrous.

Very nice! All good eatin', I take it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I do horseradish in the vitamix. Cube it up, then add a little white vinegar and mix it. And holy hell does it get hot.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I put horseradish through the zesting wheel on my Magimix - the same one I use for parmigiano, etc. I usually wear a mask while I do, because it gets pretty uncomfy around that machine for a while.

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

I bitched on Twitter at SeriousEats at the end of November about how it was easier to browse for author-specific recipes through their Feedly than on their incredibly lovely website and it looks like they got rid of the (xml? or is it rss? ... I don't know web stuff) feeds a little over a week later.

Probably unconnected but how nice of them to again make it more difficult to browse for inspiration.

Mr_Roke fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 31, 2017

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I still get their stuff on inoreader using RSS fwiw

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

BrianBoitano posted:

I still get their stuff on inoreader using RSS fwiw

Thanks. Looks like they kept the overall, recipe only, and Food Lab feeds but scrapped the editor-specific ones.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I thought I was being stupid and missing some obvious links on the SeriousEats site. Good to know I'm not a blind moron.

I just wanted to make fish fragrant eggplant, why you gotta be a dick and make it a pain to find delicious recipes SeriousEats? I had to google you like a common plebe.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I just use google, but it does make it highly unlikely you'll ever find anything there you weren't explicitly looking for in the first place. There's been a few food/recipe sites that insist on repeatedly redesigning what started out as a perfectly functional albeit bland portal and end up with something that's increasingly difficult to actually use in any capacity. I am angry about this.

Also pouring one out for lucky peach, it had the highest production quality I've seen in a food magazine in a long time. May it Rest In Peace.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Hauki posted:

There's been a few food/recipe sites that insist on repeatedly redesigning what started out as a perfectly functional albeit bland portal and end up with something that's increasingly difficult to actually use in any capacity.

ux_engineer.txt

e: \/ \/ what this guy said \/ \/

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 31, 2017

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
think the problem is they have a full-time web guy for a thing that could logically be pretty well handled by a CMS and maybe like a part timer
this is because they're p. old (like, 2006? something like that)

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

SeriousEats decline started when they brought in some "consultant" to tell them how to make more money around 2012 or so. They got rid of all location based content and the community/forums features and turned it into more of a Pinterest look. Besides kenji and the founder, those are about the only editors who survived that redo.

When I need to find a specific recipe I know is food lab I just google "Kenji" along with it

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

When I need to find a specific recipe I know is food lab I just google "Kenji" along with it

This is pretty much the only way to use SeriousEats, it's dire.
Kenji is so great that my google autocompletes are full of his name tho, to be fair.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Unpopular opinion: Kenji is about 50/50 with bad opinions.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

Unpopular opinion: Kenji is about 50/50 with bad opinions.

right there with you frankly

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
most food opinions are good
most nonfood opinions are p. mediocre

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
He gave us vodka pie crust but on the other hand he trash-talked my home made baking steel

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 1, 2018

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

He gave us vodka pie crust but on the other hand he trash-talked my home made baking steel

Did he say your opinion was useless because you wouldn't spend hours performing double-blind taste tests with your baking steal and write an article for his site in exchange for the $25 freelance fee and so you forfeited the argument? He did that to a guy about blade grinding coffee a while back. That was fun (Coffee dude looked to be a bit of a douche himself).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I told people how to make baking steels themselves so he compared mine to going to a junk yard and using a car door or something like that

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Kenji's recipes are mostly good but his attitude can be poo poo about foodpinions. I try to avoid him seeing his poo poo on social media

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Kenji's worst sin is any time he tries to be funny/entertaining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
All the above. If I'm looking for new ideas I'll give him more of my time than I would to a random. But I disagree with a lot.