Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hopper posted:

So HZD is huge and the map is full of icons. I accidentally bought the maps now this even fuller of icons...

When people say "beeline" to Meridian to get the permanent fast travel, what does this mean? Do the very first main quest (Seeker at the gates) until I get there, leaving everything else for later? Or does it literally mean "run for the city"?

Also: How hard are mods things to come by? Should I just use the best ones I have in my current stuff or should I use the inferior versions until I have purple weapons (which I assume are best quality)?

They mean that Meridian has a vendor who sells the permanent fast travel pack, as well as all purple tier weapons and outfits. If you're enjoying the side content along the way there's no need to rush to Meridian but it helps that all the best gear is available there. It's also where the two main plot storylines really get moving.

You should just use the best mods available as they come to you. There is a skill called Tinker that later lets you swap them out whenever you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hopper posted:

So HZD is huge and the map is full of icons. I accidentally bought the maps now this even fuller of icons...

There's a filter on the map that lets you cut back on that.

quote:

When people say "beeline" to Meridian to get the permanent fast travel, what does this mean? Do the very first main quest (Seeker at the gates) until I get there, leaving everything else for later? Or does it literally mean "run for the city"?

Mostly do the questline, you literally can't run to the city straight off as there are progress checks. Getting to Meridian will unlock the best merchants and gear, several questlines, the collectible redeemers, and generally marks the point where the game opens up and everything is available to you. There are no missable quests, you can go back and do anything at any time.

quote:

Also: How hard are mods things to come by? Should I just use the best ones I have in my current stuff or should I use the inferior versions until I have purple weapons (which I assume are best quality)?

You will quickly be overflowing with mods.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I wish HZD had a demo. I hear nothing but good things about it, but I'm worried I won't like actually playing it. That's happened to me with Don't Starve and now I'm super worried about it forever. v:v:v

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
i feel like a lot of the icon vomit on HZD was for the machine packs and not strictly collectibles (though you can buy those maps).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bad Parenting posted:

Lots of bad information in this post. I dunno what a Japanese game menu is but everything is pretty clearly explained. The game has added literal damage numbers now so it's easy to see how effective your weapon is on different monster parts. I've never clipped through a monster even on the old 3ds games, if anything there used to be issues with their hit/hurt boxes being larger than the models, but I've not experienced that in mhw.

Tei's posts are great and should be enjoyed, not critiqued.

This however:

revolther posted:

World in the title seemed to imply a larger scale and more interactive environment, but sounds like it's just Cabella's Dynasty Warriors with 16 player raids.

Where did you even get any of this, it's nothing like dynasty warriors, there are no "raids," and it's 4-player coop not 16

The scale is also far larger and the environment is leaps and bounds more interactive than previous titles

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Shadow225 posted:

This isn't directed at you the person, but this post makes me really sad because it encapsulates what an average person is probably looking for in a game in 2017. I'm tired if seeing crafting, loot, and leveling in pretty much every game. This is coming from someone who plays Monster Hunter.

Like, those aren't necessarily bad things to want in a game, but it stomps out games that don't include them, or makes them worse for including them.

Understandable. I asked it the way I did because I know there's a lot more depth to Monster Hunter than what was available in the beta, and I'm just trying to get a grasp on what it is.

I'll probably just watch some livestreams of the full game once it comes out. That'll probably help me understand what the game is.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RareAcumen posted:

I wish HZD had a demo. I hear nothing but good things about it, but I'm worried I won't like actually playing it. That's happened to me with Don't Starve and now I'm super worried about it forever. v:v:v

Don't Starve is really unconventional and deliberately difficult, Horizon is a straightforward RPG that gives you all the breaks, shortcuts, and little nudges you'd expect from a mainstream AAA game. And there's always Gamefly or something :v:

WHOOPS posted:

i feel like a lot of the icon vomit on HZD was for the machine packs and not strictly collectibles (though you can buy those maps).

This is true, but if you buy all 3 collectible maps (flowers, figurines, mugs) that permanently adds at least 2 or 3 dozen icons. The map filter wasn't present at launch, it got patched in after so many people complained about it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yeah dont starve is an extremely difficult survival game that was patched over time to become even more difficult. the only thing i would ever take away from someone not actually liking dont starve is that they played the game (i like dont starve but its got to be one of the least friendly survival games there is)

boz
Oct 16, 2005

CVagts posted:

Understandable. I asked it the way I did because I know there's a lot more depth to Monster Hunter than what was available in the beta, and I'm just trying to get a grasp on what it is.

I'll probably just watch some livestreams of the full game once it comes out. That'll probably help me understand what the game is.

Monster Hunter Game Loop:

1. You are in a town, select a mission to hunt a monster.
2. Get transported to a map similar to the ones from the beta, hunt said monster.
3. Return to town, use pieces carved from dead monster to make new weapons and hats.
4. Repeat.

It's simple, numbers go up, everybody happy.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Got gifted a $50 psn card. Never play online so dunno if I’ll renew my ps Plus. Wonder if there will be a Boxing Day sale. Only game I want is nier but rather get physical unless the discounts get deep on digital. We’ll see.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

yeah dont starve is an extremely difficult survival game that was patched over time to become even more difficult. the only thing i would ever take away from someone not actually liking dont starve is that they played the game (i like dont starve but its got to be one of the least friendly survival games there is)

haveblue posted:

Don't Starve is really unconventional and deliberately difficult, Horizon is a straightforward RPG that gives you all the breaks, shortcuts, and little nudges you'd expect from a mainstream AAA game. And there's always Gamefly or something :v:

Oh no, I'm not saying that they're similar in any way I'm just using DS as an example of a game I bought that it turned out I didn't actually enjoy playing for myself.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I saw that the GT Sport career mode finally came out, and that GT Sport is on this month's Flash Sale! Has anyone here tried out the career mode? I'm kind of curious to try it myself but it's like $52 CAD on the sale and I'd like some impressions on it before plunking down any cash.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CVagts posted:

Here’s the monhun loop: you choose a quest in town and prepare for it as necessary, taking everything you know about the monsters/location into account. You might set up your gear to take advantage of elemental resists, grab antidotes if it’s poisonous, get hot/cold drinks to take care of environmental hazards etc, on top of keeping stocked up on all the basic supplies you need for hunting. You go to the map the quest is on and hunt the monster, maybe doing a little bit of gathering if you’re running low on materials from that area. Quests start out pretty static but more dynamic elements get introduced as you increase in rank. Depending on how you fight the monster, capture/kill wounds/breaks, you’ll get varying materials from the monster. You take those materials back to town and craft new gear to make yourself stronger, both in just flat numbers but also combining pieces in different ways to unlock bonus skills. Then you take stock of what you need and go on another quest, repeating over and over again with increasing difficulty.

The appeal of monhun is that pretty much every step of that process involves a lot of decision making and heavily leverages player knowledge over level ups and gating mechanics.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

It's hard as poo poo dude. I finished the Sunday cup (the very first beginner cup with five races) and only got first pace on two tracks, second place on two tracks and third on another.

There's other content like driving school, missions and circuit experiences that help you play offline but you should really try online with gt sport. It is where the real game is.

If you just wanna put in 20-40 hours, you can do that easily with the content that's already there.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Wolfenstein 2 is actually fun if you turn the difficulty all the way down. Not sure why they thought it was a good idea to make it so hard. Silly me got it at launch (in a Target B2G1 deal that included some big games coming out next year) to support the devs after getting the first game for $10 and loving it, but this was a disappointment. The middle difficulties are far more brutal than the most difficult settings on most games I have played in the past 15 years. Will get the next game on sale, which shouldn’t take long judging by how quickly this game dropped to $30.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

This Granblue Fantasy video looks surprisingly good. I gather Platinum is working on combat.

I thought this was a phone series?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It is but Cygames made so much money they decided to start their own anime studio and finance possibly the only big budget JRPG not made by Square just for something to do with it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fix posted:

This Granblue Fantasy video looks surprisingly good. I gather Platinum is working on combat.

It's a phone series that is making so much money that the publisher can start vanity projects like the ps4 game and an anime studio

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

the truth posted:

Wolfenstein 2 is actually fun if you turn the difficulty all the way down.

Nah it's still an uninspired hallway shooter.

Cut scenes are sometimes neat though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

the truth posted:

Wolfenstein 2 is actually fun if you turn the difficulty all the way down. Not sure why they thought it was a good idea to make it so hard. Silly me got it at launch (in a Target B2G1 deal that included some big games coming out next year) to support the devs after getting the first game for $10 and loving it, but this was a disappointment. The middle difficulties are far more brutal than the most difficult settings on most games I have played in the past 15 years. Will get the next game on sale, which shouldn’t take long judging by how quickly this game dropped to $30.

Breaking out of your restraints and killing every nazi in the building was an amazing moment in the game for me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fix posted:

Why do so many Japanese game demos have people screaming over them. Theres always like 3 women doing the 5 year old voice and some dude going "duouahhhhhhhh!!!!"

Game actually looks sort of cool though

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a stage demonstration and they always use the voice actors and stuff to demo it and all the 'sugois' etc is just how you act excited in Japan

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I guess it’s no worse than IGN hype men in shiny t-shirts pretending to be excited about crafting systems.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Breaking out of your restraints and killing every nazi in the building was an amazing moment in the game for me.

I did that on “Do or Die.” It was not fun. There should have been some sort of automatically enabled god-mode for that part.

Turned down the difficulty once I got to New Orleans and breezes through the last third of the game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Nah it's still an uninspired hallway shooter.

Cut scenes are sometimes neat though.

It's pretty hysterical how quickly opinions went from "oh you just dislike the game because you're alt right" to "uh actually yeah the game play is pretty bad".

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I mean the former was mostly before it even came out, and I at least still enjoyed it, even on the higher difficulty levels. Wasn't as good as TNO though sadly.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

Why do so many Japanese game demos have people screaming over them. Theres always like 3 women doing the 5 year old voice and some dude going "duouahhhhhhhh!!!!"

Game actually looks sort of cool though

:shrug: heh heh, may I remind you

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I mean the former was mostly before it even came out, and I at least still enjoyed it, even on the higher difficulty levels. Wasn't as good as TNO though sadly.

Reading through the thread, I still saw a bunch of comments like 'How long until they give you a drat shotgun?' Are you seriously just given 200 armor and half health and that's it? That's all the armor does for you?' 'I don't know what it is that other games do to give you feedback that you're getting shot but this game is really missing it' 'Why do the guns sound so bad?' 'This game's starting to feel like they had an idea for one game- maybe two- and then stretched it out for three for some reason.'

I dunno where he's reading comments from, since I haven't read anything beyond the games thread in here.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The recent Deus Ex and Telltale Batman are allegedly next month's PS+ games.

Mankind Divided is the perfect Plus game for me. Been sorta interested, but never enough to commit money. I really liked some parts of Human Revolution, but I didn't think it was great overall. The Detroit hub was the highlight.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

RareAcumen posted:

Reading through the thread, I still saw a bunch of comments like 'How long until they give you a drat shotgun?' Are you seriously just given 200 armor and half health and that's it? That's all the armor does for you?' 'I don't know what it is that other games do to give you feedback that you're getting shot but this game is really missing it' 'Why do the guns sound so bad?' 'This game's starting to feel like they had an idea for one game- maybe two- and then stretched it out for three for some reason.'

I dunno where he's reading comments from, since I haven't read anything beyond the games thread in here.

Same thread as you, friend.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Mankind Divided is one of the only games I’ve ever played where I felt like the story was unforgivably incomplete, especially considering the franchise itself.

Like Human Revolution has a bad ending but at least it takes you a minute to get there and there’s plenty of game along the way.

Mankind Divided stops before it ever gets going.

It also runs like hot dogshit on PC

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Bust Rodd posted:

Mankind Divided is one of the only games I’ve ever played where I felt like the story was unforgivably incomplete, especially considering the franchise itself.
didnt they intentionally split it into 3 games or something stupid?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Awesome! posted:

Yeah they were planning to stretch it into some big saga. But it didn’t sell that well and so now the franchise is on ice.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wolfenstein The New Colossus is good. The combat is not best-in-class and the level design is eh but it has its moments and the dual shotguns and laser rifle feel great. The setpieces make up for a lot of its shortcomings.

Also the voice acting is superb

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Awesome! posted:

Basically, the game ends just before what would have been the end of Act 1, with Squeenix-Suits insisting that Acts 2/3 be DLC.

Then the game was released and panned universally, in part because of the story, so they announced they were shelving it, which they very recently backpedalled on

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That is fuckin painful to watch.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Brb. Gonna abandon gaming for a new hobby.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I’m happy that they are happy.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Reaction videos are almost invariably garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

It's sort of painful, yeah, but those people (now EZA) are legitimately excited about the possibilities of the medium in a way that's kind of awkwardly charming. I'll give them a few childish freakouts here and there, but I was mainly posting it to demonstrate that hype is hype, regardless of native language.

edit; honestly, I was pretty excited while watching that conference, too