Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Teenage Fansub posted:

You want the I Am Suicide trade, #24 and ongoing from #33, incl. Annual #2.

Ty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Also Batman/Elmer Fudd, just cause.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Schneider Heim posted:

Is the Bizarro mini (2015) good?

It's delightful. Great art, too.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Can Starro's characterization in Dark Nights be his characterization from now on? Honestly, I think Dark Nights is a genuinely good event comic. It's like a summer blockbuster that you just turn your brain off and enjoy for how dumb it is.

Also like that Tomasi wrote the Teen Titans better in one issue than Percy has in over a year.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Well, The Terrifics had a little more of a point when it looked like Marvel were in no way interested in making a new F4 series.

Also, these were advertised as breaking out of Metal, but there's really only been vague mentions of the old Challengers and Immortal people. Not much springboarding with just two issues to go.

e: And when Doc's on Terrifics it's gonna look fresh as hell.

I'm iffy on the Terrifics because one big thing for F4 for me is that they're a family. I just don't see that with the new line-up. Take that away and the F4 is just another superteam. But, hey, maybe its good? Don't mean to piss in anyone's cerals, just giving my feelings.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Sideways preview:
http://www.dccomics.com/reader/#/comics/434995
It's millennial, livestreaming Spiderman 100%. They're not pretending one iota.

This looks okay, actually. Though, I'm torn. On one hand, Marvel's currently putting out 5 or so Spider-Man series and, while I don't buy them all, I definitely get my Spider-man fix. On the other hand, till Dan Slotts leave, (excluding the AWESOME Chip Zardasky series which is the best one coming around right now), Spider-Man is mostly just moping around on Mockingbird's couch.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
I wonder if Starro's appearance and power up are related to the dark multiverse. Him coming back to life and turning into a 'Super Starro' looked like they would be on Mr. Terrific's list of fears.

I'm more than willing to give Slider a try. It seemed like maybe eXiles, I think they sold it with some world/dimension hopping angle due to his power. But even if they don't, I've never really been able to get with the Spider-mythos and background, which is pretty vast. I like a couple of the villains but that's about it. So maybe a new variant would help, unbound from the Spider stuff.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I've seen people complain about King's plots, and I understand how they feel, but it's what I love about his work. His stories don't feel like plots. It's characters interacting with each other, and the story flows organically.

Starro and Dream appearing in the same issue made me like it less because it just reminded me of that amazing two parter Morrison did in JLA.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
If I want to bury myself in $5 Rebirth collections during the current Comixology sale, what would be good? I already have the Batman volumes because of King, and it sounds like Flash isn't particularly good.

I tend to like more contained or street level comics with psychological components (Waid's Daredevil would be a good recent example). I'm not too big on grand scale events, which tends to rule out a lot of "cosmic" adventures. Like, I likely wouldn't be interested in whatever arc launched Rebirth -- I just want the individual stories from this era.

Sorry if this is better suited for the recommendations thread, but I'm primarily looking for picks from the last two years so thought this would be a good place to start. Thanks

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Detective Comics & Superman

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Speaking of Detective Comics, I'm a little down on it lately. I'm so tired of the future Tim and Colony stuff, and judging by solicits, they're gonna be the focus of the book for the foreseeable future. I wish Tynion would do an issue like the latest Batman where it's just the characters hanging out, because the small moments with characters like Cass and Clayface interacting are the strongest stuff in the book, but he seems focused on making everything an epic storyline that never lets up.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

purple death ray posted:

Detective Comics & Superman

Thanks for the tips. The complaint about DC above gives me pause, but it still sounds like it's a fairly self-contained storyline.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, after the first arc it went right into a crossover (Night of the Monster Men) but that was just a fun little Bat-fam thing about giant monsters. Detective is actually the comic it has ramifications for.

Green Arrow is a good guy on the street comic and the rotating artists are amazing. You shouldn't be going 'oh man' when they swap out like other comics.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Teenage Fansub posted:

Well, after the first arc it went right into a crossover (Night of the Monster Men) but that was just a fun little Bat-fam thing about giant monsters. Detective is actually the comic it has ramifications for.

Green Arrow is a good guy on the street comic and the rotating artists are amazing. You shouldn't be going 'oh man' when they swap out like other comics.

The Batman collections skip over Night of the Monster Men, and I think that's a separate book you can buy.

Green Arrow feels like one of those things that should be right up my alley, and I liked the Lemire (?) run a little while back. Sale's on til Jan 4, I think, so I'll check those out.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Green Arrow's introduced some interesting villains, at least. Detective Comics is 1 for 6.

nofather fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 24, 2017

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!
Just finished Seven Soldiers of Victory. Very good story.

I cant believe Morrison wrote himself into a comic again though. That is getting a bit tiring.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Darth Nat posted:

Speaking of Detective Comics, I'm a little down on it lately. I'm so tired of the future Tim and Colony stuff, and judging by solicits, they're gonna be the focus of the book for the foreseeable future. I wish Tynion would do an issue like the latest Batman where it's just the characters hanging out, because the small moments with characters like Cass and Clayface interacting are the strongest stuff in the book, but he seems focused on making everything an epic storyline that never lets up.

You'd think with as pretty big of a team as it has going they'd try for more of it, but instead it's just "the team's back together!" and "the team's falling apart!" alternating every week, it feels like. :v:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mr Hootington posted:

I cant believe Morrison wrote himself into a comic again though. That is getting a bit tiring.

I just read the Suicide Squad issue where Morrison died. Just shows that dead doesn't mean dead in comics.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

I just read the Suicide Squad issue where Morrison died. Just shows that dead doesn't mean dead in comics.

If I was a comic writer I'd constantly make self inserts that die, either randomly (like first name people who show up at the beginning of a Claremont book) or hilariously.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Oh yeah. The Writer is obviously the ultimate legacy hero.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
morrison thinks he is the greatest genius of metatextualism. OF COURSE he writes himself into many stories.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Neurosis posted:

morrison thinks he is the greatest genius of metatextualism. OF COURSE he writes himself into many stories.

No, he just thinks it will give him mystical powers. It's basically a more complicated version of The Secret.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Madkal posted:

John Ostrander is the one that murdered him though

Neurosis posted:

You'll pay for your heresy one day

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Skwirl posted:

No, he just thinks it will give him mystical powers. It's basically a more complicated version of The Secret.
Well I mean if we're going to have a comic book warlock determining the fate of the cosmos, we could do far worse than Morrison. Could've been Dave Sims.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

everybody!

e: I hesitate bringing it up in this thread to kill everyone's DC X'mas vibe immediately, but in looking through the 2017 holiday special to find that, it looks like Max Landis' story has been scrubbed from the digital copy and replaced with a reprint Batman story in the back. I'm not imagining that having been there, right?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Dec 24, 2017

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

I think he make up for it by writing himself and Alan Moore as rival subway-pirates:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!

Madkal posted:

Yeah that entire sequence owned.

Alhazred posted:

I think he make up for it by writing himself and Alan Moore as rival subway-pirates:

Lmao i forgot about this. He put himself in the series twice.

It is too bad that after 7 soldiers was done we only got a Frankenstein and demon knights series. Manhattan Guardian and Zantanna had good takes.

I think the weakest of it all was Mister Miracle. I just do not like Morrison's interpretations and reinterpretations of the New Gods.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
my memory of 7 soldiers is all of the heroes introduced in the second volume were nowhere near as good as the ones introduced in the first volume

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I found the Mister Miracle stuff a bit out of place because everything else is relatively stand-alone and then you've got a massive chunk that ties into all the 4th World stuff. It felt like it belonged in a different book.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bleeding Cool is reporting that Bendis will be taking on Superman with Ivan Reis in 2018. That's Superman, not Action. Tomasi said he had his run planned to issue #50 so hopefully that doesn't get disrupted.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BC's saying Bendis is getting 'Superman' rather than Action Comics along with Ivan Reis, which is supposedly some power move against Geoff Johns who wants the artist to himself.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/12/25/brian-bendis-ivan-reis-joe-prado-superman/

Not really buying that anti-Geoff angle, and maybe whatever source was only saying 'he's writing Superman (the character)...' but if it's true, I'll be pretty unhappy if Jurgens sticks around through this with Tomasi bumped.

e: What he said.

My Max Landis Holiday Special tip got picked up, though :)
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/12/25/dc-comics-remove-max-landis-superman-story-holiday-special-2017/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 25, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DC made a point of telling retailers that Action #1000 did not have a Bendis story in it. Pretty much every rumor has had Bendis taking over Action.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Thanks DC, you ruined Christmas

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I even like Bendis generally, but gently caress that move.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
This is absolutely terrible news.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Relax. It's not news yet.

Will we hear about the post-AC1k stuff next solicit?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!
Lmao if dc is blowing up relationships with tomasi and johns for bendis

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

Lmao if dc is blowing up relationships with tomasi and johns for bendis

Johns is still upper level at DC, he probably helped make this happen. It's just RJ being a dipshit for click hits.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Why the gently caress they would want Bendis and Dan Jurgens on Superman when they could have Bendis and Tomasi is beyond me

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd be willing to bet that Jurgens is the one leaving (for the rumored Blue & Gold book) and Johnston is just an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!

Rhyno posted:

Johns is still upper level at DC, he probably helped make this happen. It's just RJ being a dipshit for click hits.

Yeah there would have been an announcement, but it would have been hilarious after a 2 years of DC doing good.

Rhyno posted:

I'd be willing to bet that Jurgens is the one leaving (for the rumored Blue & Gold book) and Johnston is just an idiot.

How was the supes/booster issues of action? This would be the one book i trust jurgens with if that was a good arc.