Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Samizdata posted:

Or, you know, you leave the most nutritious part of the potato on...

Absolute bullshit. This is the same school of thought that "The crust of the bread is where all the vitamins are" comes from

OK jackass*, explain to me how during the baking process, all the vitamins and nutrients that already exist in the dough get concentrated and moved to the outside of the bread.

*Not necessarily Samizdata specifically, just a general jackass who keeps pushing this lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

"The crust of the bread is where all the vitamins are"

I've literally never heard or seen this being posited anywhere. The crust is, of course, the best part of the bread because it's nice and crunchy but that's got nothing to do with nutrition.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

You should leave the potato skins on for flavor, if there is more nutrition then that is also good.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Jerry Cotton posted:

That doesn't hurt the chicken though, right?

i mean, technically it doesn't

but the feathers are the most nutritious part so i dunno why you've got to remove them so quickly

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

CzarChasm posted:

Absolute bullshit. This is the same school of thought that "The crust of the bread is where all the vitamins are" comes from

OK jackass*, explain to me how during the baking process, all the vitamins and nutrients that already exist in the dough get concentrated and moved to the outside of the bread.

*Not necessarily Samizdata specifically, just a general jackass who keeps pushing this lie.

Pretty sure the crust thing comes from mums trying to get their kids to eat a whole sandwich and not leave half the drat thing because they don't like crusts.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

CzarChasm posted:

Heat causes chemical reactions. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/jf020618n

No, the crust doesn't have all the nutrients, but it has a different chemical composition.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sunswipe posted:

Pretty sure the crust thing comes from mums trying to get their kids to eat a whole sandwich and not leave half the drat thing because they don't like crusts.

Why are American kids so picky about their bread crust? It's delicious! Just eat the drat thing. Can't you chew or something? My nephew started eating bread crust as soon as he got his first teeth.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I never really tasted much difference in the crust, honestly.

My ex was the kind who would throw out the end of a sliced loaf.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

FFT posted:

life hack: don't watch this if you've got chicken carcass hangups

Thank you for the thread title!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Paladinus posted:

Why are American kids so picky about their bread crust? It's delicious! Just eat the drat thing. Can't you chew or something? My nephew started eating bread crust as soon as he got his first teeth.

I think of that as a U.K. thing.

Or maybe it's a sitcom/ children's book thing that doesn't happen in real life? :shrug:

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 22:21 on Dec 23, 2017

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Crusts have a different texture. Crusts are also at the edge of the sandwich where there are generally less fillings.

Actually, as an adult I still eat sandwiches crust-first so I can get them out of the way with and focus on the good sandwich in the middle.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

chitoryu12 posted:

In other words, your ex was normal

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

IYKK posted:

That's a myth.

Not so much. Given the volume of skin versus flesh and the relative nutritive value of each, the skin IS the most nutritious. I suppose I should have said, "by volume". Besides, I could further argue, by locking in the nutrition of the flesh, it is.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I never really tasted much difference in the crust, honestly.

Yeah, no.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

how exactly do you think potatoes are made?

the last time i saw a vegetable peeling argument on these forums i learned that there are people who peel carrots before using them, those are the people we should be worried about

A FUCKIN CANARY!! has a new favorite as of 01:10 on Dec 24, 2017

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Paladinus posted:

It's also a bread quality thing. Nice bread has nice crust. lovely bread has lovely crust.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Paladinus posted:

With modern fluffy bread the crust is much firmer than the interior.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I've literally never heard or seen this being posited anywhere. The crust is, of course, the best part of the bread because it's nice and crunchy but that's got nothing to do with nutrition.

No part of wonderbread is crunchy. The crust has the texture of a Styrofoam cup.

Ye olde european breads are a whole different story. The crust is nice, and the middle isn't so soft that you risk tearing it with peanutbutter.

But those don't fit in my toaster so fuckit.

Mmm, white and flavourless, just like mom used to make.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The worst part of that lifehack video is that he didn't put any spices on his potatoes. Not even salt! Just a dash of honey. Those must be so incredibly bland.

And maybe you're not getting rid of nutrients when you peel your potatoes, but you're throwing away a lot of perfectly good potato flesh. Just wash them lightly and cut away any bad spots.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

The worst part of that lifehack video is that he didn't put any spices on his potatoes. Not even salt! Just a dash of honey. Those must be so incredibly bland.

And maybe you're not getting rid of nutrients when you peel your potatoes, but you're throwing away a lot of perfectly good potato flesh. Just wash them lightly and cut away any bad spots.

Honey AND gravy. Meh.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

There was salt added at some point (right before the flour I think), but only so much that he might as well not have bothered

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Potatoes need so much salt.

Lifehack: Put salt on things before you eat them. Except if you've got high blood pressure I guess

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Lifehack: Taste things before loading them down with salt to lessen your dependence upon salt. Your heart will thank you.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Potatoes need so much salt.
So much salt that they're literally what you add to a dish if you accidentally added too much salt

in retrospect this was probably advice intended for casseroles and the like

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Screaming Idiot posted:

Lifehack: Taste things before loading them down with salt to lessen your dependence upon salt. Your heart will thank you.

Listen.

My heart can go gently caress itself. It doesn't even have a particularly good rhythm!

Also your body can handle processing salt, unless you've got a medical disease.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Cover your potatoes in cheese. There's plenty of salt and even more flavor!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Listen.

My heart can go gently caress itself. It doesn't even have a particularly good rhythm!

Also your body can handle processing salt, unless you've got a medical disease.

If your heart walks without rhythm, it won't attract the heartworm. And when it comes to tasty spice alternatives, my weapon of choice is Mrs. Dash with a sprinkle of MSG.

Edit: I say this as a fat boy trying to get slim.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
As a former fat boy, good luck! I'm rooting for ya!

Also that was a cool and good Fatboy Slim ref.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

As a former fat boy, good luck! I'm rooting for ya!

Also that was a cool and good Fatboy Slim ref.

fatboy slim was terrible

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Randaconda posted:

fatboy slim was terrible

You can go with this, or you can go with that. But despite your questionable taste and aggressive centrism, you're still a funky soul brother in my book, Randaconda.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Screaming Idiot posted:

You can go with this, or you can go with that. But despite your questionable taste and aggressive centrism, you're still a funky soul brother in my book, Randaconda.

:yaycloud:

what is aggressive centrism

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
We could throw down right here, right now, Randaconda.

I call a dance-off! My champion is Chris Walken.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*twerks to Ride The Train, by Quad City DJs*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gEdQ5KpY8Y

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Christopher Walken? Is a fantastic human, being who is... NOT! Constrained by your petty laws? Of physics or punctuation.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Fries too salty? Add some potatoes to them! Walla.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

NonzeroCircle posted:

Fries too salty? Add some potatoes to them! Walla.

This is reasonable to me.

Slowflake
Aug 18, 2010

Fatboy Slim derail is fitting, considering that the whole idea behind life hacks is that machines should work, and people should think. Machines can do the work.

There's gotta be a better way to make that reference work...

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Allows You To Grab First Place If No Blue Shell Comes Along

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
You don't have to worry about peeling the banana the wrong way if you eat the peel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I nearly lost my eyesight to a stray breadtag today. Would have got me too if it weren't for the banana peel.