Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Mr. Apollo posted:

Here's a clip of Cyborg's VFX that look off. When he's turning his head it looks like his face is floating in front of his head.

I don't really see the face floating in front of his head, but, the motion just looks unnatural. And I don't think in a deliberate way either, because it is in the movement both WW and Flash have as well, not just Cyborg.
It looks simultaneously both too smooth and too jerky, maybe that's just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

garycoleisgod posted:

I don't really see the face floating in front of his head, but, the motion just looks unnatural. And I don't think in a deliberate way either, because it is in the movement both WW and Flash have as well, not just Cyborg.
Yeah, that's a better way of describing it. It's just an unnatural look, like the head/face is slightly out of sync with the rest of the movements of the body.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
It looks like one of those GIFs where someone edits the heads of topical politicians/celebrities/sports people onto the bodies of people from well known movie scenes but they only have like 4 or 5 sample photos of the person so the head flicks suddenly between them.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I'm legit confused by that opening. From a storytelling perspective, hell from any perspective, why was that opening sequence needed? What does it achieve?

I mean, at least Ezra Miller and Jason Mamoa are having a lot of fun.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Everybody knows was Whedon's choice for song though.

I really wish I could see that montage with a Junkie XL track on part with Beautiful Lie.

Huh. I actually didn't know that, and credit due to Whedon, that was a great choice.

McSpanky posted:

There's already a bunch of "Justice League rescored" clips on youtube and every single one is better than the half-baked snoozefest Williams sleep-scored through, even when they don't quite fit the scene because some lame Whedony crap like Flash's pratfall is going on.

I found this, which I really liked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KovO1WrsXnQ

It's the ending sequence replaced with Supermans theme from MoS.

DrVenkman posted:

I'm legit confused by that opening. From a storytelling perspective, hell from any perspective, why was that opening sequence needed? What does it achieve?

I mean, at least Ezra Miller and Jason Mamoa are having a lot of fun.

Obviously it's saying that since Superman died the world's become a darker place, a more desperate and hopeless place. The idea I imagine is that Superman is a symbol of hope, and with him gone people lash out since they're scared.

I suspect that the original plan was to tie this in to Supermans resurrection a lot more to the themes of hope and what not, but it's kinda hard to say for sure

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

McCloud posted:

Obviously it's saying that since Superman died the world's become a darker place, a more desperate and hopeless place. The idea I imagine is that Superman is a symbol of hope, and with him gone people lash out since they're scared.

Think he meant the opening with Batman and the thug on the roof. Or maybe he did mean the opening credit sequence. :shrug:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Oh, that. No loving idea then.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
No sorry, I did mean the phone opening. It's just bad, on every level, and it offers nothing of any bearing on anything else. It just gives the absolute worst look at old smooth-face.

The part with Batman is almost as bad for entirely different reasons.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

McCloud posted:

Huh. I actually didn't know that, and credit due to Whedon, that was a great choice.

I don't care for it. I was actually wondering why I was so turned off by a classic Snyder opening montage, given it was obviously shot by him. Though the bit with the shopkeep dealing with the racists seems like it would be hamfisted no matter the music.

garycoleisgod posted:

Some of that is because the animated GIF is running at 15 fps.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It looks better in the gif than the YouTube clip tbh

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Jimbot posted:

https://twitter.com/JamesConoway/status/944035740509458433

I forgot how stark the difference is. The JL suit is just so ugly.

Holy poo poo, I didn't remember the suit looking this awful on JL.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

Some of that is because the animated GIF is running at 15 fps.

It actually looks worse at full framerate/resolution, the gif is chopping out a fair bit of the jank.

Also in the same scene, the reshoots for Momoa stand out SO BADLY. Like "inserts from an SNL skit" bad.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 23, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

McSpanky posted:

It actually looks worse at full framerate/resolution, the gif is chopping out a fair bit of the jank.

Also in the same scene, the reshoots for Momoa stand out SO BADLY. Like "inserts from an SNL skit" bad.

The home release for this film won't be kind, isn't it?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

K. Waste posted:

PM me your email address if you want a very special Christmas gift tomorrow.

If you've already given me your email for the proof-of-concept, please send it again so I have a consistent record of who wants in.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The home release for this film won't be kind, isn't it?

yeah, can't wait to not buy it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

This is the best bum sign ever.

I recently saw this movie, it has cgi graphics.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 23, 2017

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Nope, that's been taken down already as well.

Edit: versions keep popping up and getting taken down but I managed to snag this:
https://i.imgur.com/Lc9vsHo.gifv

That's hilarious. "Joss Whedon- I tried."

Tenzarin posted:

This is the best bum sign ever.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

I am watching the movie and the soundtrack is even more offensive in its blandness than it felt the first time.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

hump day bitches! posted:

I am watching the movie and the soundtrack is even more offensive in its blandness than it felt the first time.

The soundtrack is so bad I can't think of a good joke. I'm stressed out. Danny Elfman has won conclusively and I admit defeat.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
"Jenny, headline: End of Love Affair With Man In The Sky - question mark."

edit:

The funny thing in retrospect is that Ben Affleck's portrayal of Bruce Wayne is most similar to George Clooney.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 25, 2017

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

K. Waste posted:

The funny thing in retrospect is that Ben Affleck's portrayal of Bruce Wayne is most similar to George Clooney.

Disagree, I'd say it's more Kilmer. They're both gruff and a little ornery while clooney was daddy Superman in a bat suit. There's even a moment in Forever where Kilmer is triggered by dropped flowers, and he has a PTSD moment that transports him back to crime alley.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I thought the same thing, I didn't see Clooney at all in his Bruce Wayne but immediately thought of Val Kilmer.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The soundtrack is so bad I can't think of a good joke. I'm stressed out. Danny Elfman has won conclusively and I admit defeat.

I'm still kind of stunned that we got "generic ethnic people strings" multiple times in a movie with that much money and interference thrown at it and no one thought to be like "Hey Danny, this soundtrack is dogshit." Like entire soundtrack was painful but drat.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Having the Kenny Cut in full, the first time I've seen this whole thing since the Director's Cut came out a yearish ago - Beavis is extremely good. I had a similar reaction to MOS when it came out on home video too, but BVS is even better.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Having the Kenny Cut in full, the first time I've seen this whole thing since the Director's Cut came out a yearish ago - Beavis is extremely good. I had a similar reaction to MOS when it came out on home video too, but BVS is even better.

The transition from black to the gloss of the coffin was all I needed to know I was in for a good time. It's beautiful.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Part of what I always liked about it was "wow, somehow this movie was allowed to exist". But even outside of its context, it's just a great looking movie that takes its subject so seriously that it annoys people.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

He not only uses and promptly discards the 89 batman theme and the wonder woman, he takes a little cue from the alan silvestri avengers theme

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Part of what I always liked about it was "wow, somehow this movie was allowed to exist". But even outside of its context, it's just a great looking movie that takes its subject so seriously that it annoys people.

mos/bvs really came out at the perfect time for me, mos in particular right at the cusp of me starting to get sick of the amount of ironic detachment in so much american pop culture but not realizing it yet

if they'd come out even 5 years earlier i probably would've been a nerdlinger excessively focused on being mad that they weren't the story i'd already played out in my head months before the movie even released, but instead irony poisoning has made me greater appreciate earnestness in my superhero stories

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
This was also my first time in a while watching it all the way through (albeit my own slightly abbreviated cut), and the thing that struck me this time was just how bizarre it is. In some ways it's very Inception-y, with that stinger at the end of the dirt rising from Clark's grave being the most obvious nod, but even that doesn't really convey what's going on in the film at a narrative level. It's not just Bruce's dreams, either, the whole film has this really uneasy, pervading dread like whatever thin fabric of reality there is is crumbling around the characters. It's even a tad Cronenbergian.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

There's something meditative about the movie, the finality of it. There's never a moment where you can expect some one to be saved, unlike even in Nolan's Batman aka off screen hero. With Bruce watching helplessly as both of his families crumble in front of him, it's an ironic juxtaposition that the actual cruelty usually stopped by the off screen just in time hero is being done by the very person you would usually most want to be on the case with his branding and other more hasty means.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Yeah shout outs to k.waste this was dope. I’m disappointed with the way the DCEU is likely to go on the future but we got great stuff with MoS/BvS. It’s the gift that keeps on giving!!!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
It's the epitome of that kind of movie that gets pilloried because you actually do have to see it multiple times in order to appreciate everything that's going on.

For instance, I just noticed last night that at one point when Diana is fighting Doomsday and he knocks her off-balance, as she's getting up, she gives this beaming smile. She's really into it, and that's something that really got neglected in the foregoing films. Diana in Beavis is written to be so much more detached and kind of like that classical idea of a Greek warrior-hero who smiles in the face of death and is actually only truly fulfilled when she's fighting giant monsters. She's obviously still very perceptive and critical of mankind, but her behavior in the climactic fight gives her that extra edge of ambiguity. Even once Clark is dead, Lois just looks up at her, like, "Who the Hell are you?", and she's all like, "What do I possibly say about this?" And then in the wide shot, she's clearly very sad that Clark has died, but then she looks up to the sky, takes a deep breath, and looks away. She's not mourning, she's acting like this is a scenario she's seen a million times before, like she's jaded to all of it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Yeah she's really into the fight and obviously relishes it like you'd think a fighting hero would but it feels more like a kinky kind of thing the way she delivers it.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

After seeing WW I appreciated the scene with Diana looking at Lois more because Diana understands what it’s like to have someone you love sacrifice themselves to save the world. She’s the only one who understands what Lois is feeling.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Losing Wonder Woman's backstory about turning her back on the world of man is probably one of my biggest disappointments with her movie. Wonder Woman was a weaker film for ignoring that characterization imo, and Justice League going full throttle with ignoring or straight up retconning story elements from MoS/BvS showed us what you end up with when you try to get rid of literally every interesting part of those movies.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The original ending to WW had her basically saying gently caress all y’all after Steve’s death and locking her armour and weapons away in a chest that was hidden somewhere. After the poor reception that BvS got the ending to WW was rewritten.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Not just that, though. Wonder Woman in BvS gives the impression of someone who has been through more than just one brief trip through one war. Both in attitude and, since BvS has her turning her back on mankind after the First World War, then presumably the events when she "killed things from other worlds" would have been before that. But Wonder Woman has her on Themyscira up until WWI.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Sir Kodiak posted:

Not just that, though. Wonder Woman in BvS gives the impression of someone who has been through more than just one brief trip through one war. Both in attitude and, since BvS has her turning her back on mankind after the First World War, then presumably the events when she "killed things from other worlds" would have been before that. But Wonder Woman has her on Themyscira up until WWI.

Yeah it's off and disappointing.

I was hoping for a God of War romp through mystical realms and fighting giant monsters and Deities thing with Steve Trevor in tow and then it ends with Diana leaving Themyscira and entering the World of Man. Like, ultra wide and deep scale and scope.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I wish they weren't sticking to known historical wars, her getting pulled to some otherworldly hell dimension, maybe even a bump into a Granny Goodness colony or something that has ties to cooperative humans would be way more interesting. WW ends with her recognizing that humans suck, but she's cool with cleaning up after them because... Love?

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 25, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

K. Waste posted:

It's the epitome of that kind of movie that gets pilloried because you actually do have to see it multiple times in order to appreciate everything that's going on.

For instance, I just noticed last night that at one point when Diana is fighting Doomsday and he knocks her off-balance, as she's getting up, she gives this beaming smile. She's really into it, and that's something that really got neglected in the foregoing films. Diana in Beavis is written to be so much more detached and kind of like that classical idea of a Greek warrior-hero who smiles in the face of death and is actually only truly fulfilled when she's fighting giant monsters. She's obviously still very perceptive and critical of mankind, but her behavior in the climactic fight gives her that extra edge of ambiguity. Even once Clark is dead, Lois just looks up at her, like, "Who the Hell are you?", and she's all like, "What do I possibly say about this?" And then in the wide shot, she's clearly very sad that Clark has died, but then she looks up to the sky, takes a deep breath, and looks away. She's not mourning, she's acting like this is a scenario she's seen a million times before, like she's jaded to all of it.

That little smile was the thing that sold me Gadot on the role so yeah, it was bummed by what WW turned out to be. Say is still late to send you a PM for your cut? So may glowing reviews has leave me eager to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That little smile was the thing that sold me Gadot on the role so yeah, it was bummed by what WW turned out to be. Say is still late to send you a PM for your cut? So may glowing reviews has leave me eager to see it.

It's never too late, comrade.

Well, okay, eventually it'll be too late, I can't keep it on Google Drive forever but, yes, you can still get it.