Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Can't wait for some kind of portal to open up in the next movie and Deadpool comes out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
More like Darthpool

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Zoran posted:

That was a scheduling issue, I thought. He really did reprise his role in the Clone Wars show.

Maybe it was just working with Lucas personally? That would make sense.

Anyway, I always assumed the implication at the end of ROTJ was that all those ghosts were appearing to Luke to be like, hey, you saved the galaxy and restored balance to the Force, good job, we're gonna go to heaven now or whatever.

Now that we know that they just hang out indefinitely, why don't we get scenes of Hayden Christiansen trying to talk Kylo Ren out of this whole Sith Lord thing because being Darth Vader actually sucked real bad? Or Obi Wan helping train Rey? Or Qui Gin helping deal with that shady junk trader from TFA, a skill we know he possesses?

Where is my tactical force ghost realism you hacks

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Wolfsheim posted:

Maybe it was just working with Lucas personally? That would make sense.

Anyway, I always assumed the implication at the end of ROTJ was that all those ghosts were appearing to Luke to be like, hey, you saved the galaxy and restored balance to the Force, good job, we're gonna go to heaven now or whatever.

Now that we know that they just hang out indefinitely, why don't we get scenes of Hayden Christiansen trying to talk Kylo Ren out of this whole Sith Lord thing because being Darth Vader actually sucked real bad? Or Obi Wan helping train Rey? Or Qui Gin helping deal with that shady junk trader from TFA, a skill we know he possesses?

Where is my tactical force ghost realism you hacks

It's because the only movie Disney retconned away was ROTJ.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Cojawfee posted:

Can't wait for some kind of portal to open up in the next movie and Deadpool comes out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=645l087nHMc

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hi.

I posted this in the other Star Wars thread. I'm not sure if it was the right one or not; I think it might be a general thread as opposed to a TLJ thread, so I'm reposting it here.

I'm somewhat interested in the numbers around movies and I've mentioned in other subforums (not having posted here before) that I think that TLJ will not be the number-one movie at the end of 2017 like Empire Strikes Back was; I think it will be third or fourth, like Attack of the Clones. I think it's final tally at the global box office will be in the region of $900 million or so.

Most of my information comes from the commentators on the Forbes site, but their two main movie writers seem to have mixed views at the moment: the one who liked it is optimistic and the one who disliked it is pessimistic and they seem to be drawing different conclusions from the same information. I don't completely understand exactly how all the numbers work; someone here might. Is my assessment of how well the movie will do realistic?

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Hi.

Most of my information comes from the commentators on the Forbes site, but their two main movie writers seem to have mixed views at the moment: the one who liked it is optimistic and the one who disliked it is pessimistic and they seem to be drawing different conclusions from the same information. I don't completely understand exactly how all the numbers work; someone here might. Is my assessment of how well the movie will do realistic?

Well there's a few things going on there. The rotten tomatoes user score might suppress some viewers but it's also right at the holiday season. The real answer is that their numbers are meaningless by themselves and can be taken either way. We will really know by next weekend. That's my take on it anyway.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Star Wars VIII spoil-o-rama thread: Sure it was kind of played for a laugh but

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Finally read through the thread. This thread and the other seem to have picked up on the failure theme that runs throughout, but I've also been thinking about the theme of communication/miscommunication that seems to be just as pervasive.

But maybe most important of all: why so many scenes and shots focused on cups, glasses, and other drinking vessels? Champagne flutes everywhere, Luke and Leia's nalgene bottles, a few fancy cups, even Finn's bacta suit

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Ingmar terdman posted:

Finally read through the thread. This thread and the other seem to have picked up on the failure theme that runs throughout, but I've also been thinking about the theme of communication/miscommunication that seems to be just as pervasive.

But maybe most important of all: why so many scenes and shots focused on cups, glasses, and other drinking vessels? Champagne flutes everywhere, Luke and Leia's nalgene bottles, a few fancy cups, even Finn's bacta suit

It's Johnson's cry for help. A literal "I'm drowning under the pressure of this film, send help" akin to "help" sewn onto the labels of clothes made in third world nations.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Ingmar terdman posted:

That will be unironically picked apart for decades to come.

Speaking of 'to come', who else is excited for the inevitable prequel actors cameos in the next couple Star Wars movies? I am. 100% we'll see a thought-dead Jedi Master from e2 or e3.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
If you want to laugh, check how in denial some fans can be

https://youtu.be/-mZZAvIHMvQ

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Don't let Disney fool you! Everything about Snoke points to him being Plagueis!

1. His theme is the exact same from Plagueis's in Revenge of the Sith.

2. He wears a ring with Dwaarti symbols on it. Who was the original owners of the statues of Dwaarti? That's right Darth Plagueis!

3. Kylo says that Snoke is wise! Funny Palpatine said the same thing about Plagueis!

4. Disney claims Snoke is not a Sith yet everything about Snoke screams Sith. Heck he was even betrayed by his own apprentice which is exactly what Sith do!

5. He is incredibly wealthy! So much so he can fund the first order. Who else was wealthy you may ask? That's right Darth Plagueis who in legends was the head of a massive galactic banking clan.

6. Palpatine stated that "To cheat death is a power only one has achieved" pretty sure he is referring to Plagueis.

7. He uses force lightning!!!!

8. Snoke has a fascination with Vader. Who Plagueis technically created by messing around with the force.

9. JJ Abrams said episode 9 would link the entire saga together. What better character to use to connect them all than Plagueis.

10. Snoke seems to have a taste for the finer things in life. Darth Plagueis was equally fascinated with items of wealth and value.

11. Snoke is stated to have had at least one apprentice other than Kylo Ren! Dun Dun Dun...... how about Darth Sidious aka the former emperor.

12. Snoke is said to be a master manipulator! Legends refers to Plagueis as the "great manipulator"

13. Disney is drawing heavily from Star Wars legends! The dreadnought first order ship is mentioned in legends!!!!

Theory Time:

Snoke aka Plagueis did not die on the supremecy and Palpatine never killed him. He was using force projection just like Luke to such an extent that it made both Palpatine and Kylo believe they had killed him. Instead he lives in the shadows "manipulating" galactic events from afar.

If Snoke is not Plagueis! Star Wars is dead! There is no other story to tell!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Don't let Disney fool you! Everything about Snoke points to him being Plagueis!

1. His theme is the exact same from Plagueis's in Revenge of the Sith.

2. He wears a ring with Dwaarti symbols on it. Who was the original owners of the statues of Dwaarti? That's right Darth Plagueis!

3. Kylo says that Snoke is wise! Funny Palpatine said the same thing about Plagueis!

4. Disney claims Snoke is not a Sith yet everything about Snoke screams Sith. Heck he was even betrayed by his own apprentice which is exactly what Sith do!

5. He is incredibly wealthy! So much so he can fund the first order. Who else was wealthy you may ask? That's right Darth Plagueis who in legends was the head of a massive galactic banking clan.

6. Palpatine stated that "To cheat death is a power only one has achieved" pretty sure he is referring to Plagueis.

7. He uses force lightning!!!!

8. Snoke has a fascination with Vader. Who Plagueis technically created by messing around with the force.

9. JJ Abrams said episode 9 would link the entire saga together. What better character to use to connect them all than Plagueis.

10. Snoke seems to have a taste for the finer things in life. Darth Plagueis was equally fascinated with items of wealth and value.

11. Snoke is stated to have had at least one apprentice other than Kylo Ren! Dun Dun Dun...... how about Darth Sidious aka the former emperor.

12. Snoke is said to be a master manipulator! Legends refers to Plagueis as the "great manipulator"

13. Disney is drawing heavily from Star Wars legends! The dreadnought first order ship is mentioned in legends!!!!

Theory Time:

Snoke aka Plagueis did not die on the supremecy and Palpatine never killed him. He was using force projection just like Luke to such an extent that it made both Palpatine and Kylo believe they had killed him. Instead he lives in the shadows "manipulating" galactic events from afar.

If Snoke is not Plagueis! Star Wars is dead! There is no other story to tell!

it's like a kid being told there's no santa and refusing to accept it

if darth plagueis isn't real then who ate my cookies and kissed my mom

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Cojawfee posted:

I've been thinking that with the kind of battles Star Wars wants to have, it would make a lot more sense to have the ships be floating in a gas giant. So it would make sense to have the ships fly around like WWII fighters, and the artillery shells would make sense because there's gravity.

Star Wars can do whatever the gently caress it wants with physics. It has always had sound in space and gravity on ships and all the poo poo that never happens in real life. It's a fantasy film series. If you want science technobabble poo poo, Star Trek is for you, noob.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As far as I'm aware, there's no reason why spaceships should have to get close to each other to make sure they hit their targets, but one of my favourite bits in Revenge of the Sith is when a Republic star destroyer and a Separatist ship draw up alongside one another and give each other a full broadside like they're in Hornblower.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

BarronsArtGallery posted:

Star Wars can do whatever the gently caress it wants with physics. It has always had sound in space and gravity on ships and all the poo poo that never happens in real life. It's a fantasy film series. If you want science technobabble poo poo, Star Trek is for you, noob.

Wow, you sure owned me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If you complain about realism in Star Wars you’re kind of dumb. Like really dumb.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

I have a complaint about the realism of Star Wars

okay checks out

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Do you legit have complaints about realism in Star Wars

What is wrong with you?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Just saw it for the third time. I genuinely like this movie a lot, warts and all.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
I’ve been watching a lot of Star Wars lately and I’m a little concerned about the realism of the physics.

I mean these movies have spaceships which are in no way technologically possible. Really off putting IMO

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

no
I was just backing you up

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Remember when Luke fell into a bottomless pit and then happened to land in a laundry chute which then landed him on a tv antenna directly above the millennium falcon.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Bip Roberts posted:

Remember when Luke fell into a bottomless pit and then happened to land in a laundry chute which then landed him on a tv antenna directly above the millennium falcon.
The real question is if he screams while falling or not

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
or when he fell on the tv antenna did it mess with vader's hbo or not

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Punkin Spunkin posted:

no

Oh. Alright word

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Brother Entropy posted:

it's like a kid being told there's no santa and refusing to accept it

if darth plagueis isn't real then who ate my cookies and kissed my mom

No, Luke, I ate your cookies and kissed your mom.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

It was a weird, messy movie but Kylo Ren is awesome and I cant wait to see him in Ep 9. That's my hot take thanks for listening.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo this was fantastic. The only good Star Wars movie for me and so beautiful.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I liked it.

Snokes guards were fly as gently caress.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Democratic Pirate posted:

I liked it.

Snokes guards were fly as gently caress.

I thought it was a little silly that they kept taking their kung-fu defensive postures, but stayed 40 feet back from where they'd be needed.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
My favorite part of that throne room fight was that Kylo and Rey understood that lightsabers can be strategically turned on and off and you could also switch hands with them. As if that never occurred to anybody in the movie franchise before this.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Gonz posted:

My favorite part of that throne room fight was that Kylo and Rey understood that lightsabers can be strategically turned on and off and you could also switch hands with them. As if that never occurred to anybody in the movie franchise before this.

I don't think there was ever a situation in the movies up to this point where it would have been advantageous, because they were usually locking blades and would have gotten cleaved in half by the forward inertia of their opponents' sword if they had. Maybe in the Cloud City fight where Vader overpowers Luke and forces his saber way down low a couple of times. It's a cool gimmick but would make the mechanics of the fights less interesting if they did it all the time.

Exar Kun pulls something like this with his double bladed saber in the Tales of the Jedi comics though (which were 100 times better than any turd Disney will ever squeeze out).

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

GORDON posted:

I thought it was a little silly that they kept taking their kung-fu defensive postures, but stayed 40 feet back from where they'd be needed.

They’re just like white sneakers - look fresh and more importantly keep out of the way and stay clean.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Chickenwalker posted:

Exar Kun pulls something like this with his double bladed saber in the Tales of the Jedi comics though (which were 100 times better than any turd Disney will ever squeeze out).

Never read them but I've read KJA's stuff and Dark Empire and that was all really bad stuff.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

GORDON posted:

It was nice of Snoke to employ out of work former Putty Patrol members.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

CelticPredator posted:

If you complain about realism in Star Wars you’re kind of dumb. Like really dumb.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

okay checks out

CelticPredator posted:

What is wrong with you?

Punkin Spunkin posted:

no

CelticPredator posted:

Oh. Alright word

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM0dbwDc2FE

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Gonz posted:

Which is weird, because Rey has had essentially no lightsaber training yet managed to...

Oh gently caress it..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

GORDON posted:

Yeah, the actors were being so extra with their en guarde flourishes.

• Locked thread