Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Space Racist posted:

I'm super nearsighted. For reference, my contacts prescription is -7.00 for my left eye and -5.50 for the right, so some sort of corrective lenses are a must.

Harry Potter small glasses fit so people say.

3rd sensor is worth it if your placespace is over like 6x6 or something. You’ll have drops and tracking problems to a minor level with 2 but it’ll still be fun and you’ll just buy a third sensor.

Now if you’re trying to save 60 bucks. VR isn’t for you. Expect more costs and addons. Not trying to be a jerk but it’s still not a cheap hobby and adding things like a third sensor are critical for optimal gameplay. More so when you start playing games online with other people.

Hell im about to be like saq and get a 4th. Seriously. And my space is 9x9...

Just do it. Assuming you can throw money around here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I'm currently playing 360 standing with two sensors and, while I'm planning to add another sensor or two when I move to a larger room, I don't feel like using two sensors is causing any issues at all in my current setup.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Space Racist posted:

I'm super nearsighted. For reference, my contacts prescription is -7.00 for my left eye and -5.50 for the right, so some sort of corrective lenses are a must.

Your eyes are very close to mine with those numbers and I can’t see at all without lenses in the Rift so count on needing some. I thought my glasses wouldn’t work at first but after having some eye problems and having to take out my contacts I realized that the glasses work just fine, and I don’t have small glasses. They are metal frame, medium sized glasses. I guess it depends specifically on your frames though because I have read about people saying that their lenses stuck out far enough to run against the Rift’s lenses, which isn’t good. But there is more room in there than it seems when you first get it so unless you have huge 80’s throwback plastic frames then you might be in luck.

I don’t think the Vive is worth the extra money considering how cheap the Rift is now, and the touch controllers are much better than the Vive wands (in my opinion) with button placement, design and comfort. The headset is lighter too.

Regarding sensors, I started with two and my roughly 7x8 play area worked just fine with the experimental 360 setup but it was ugly and the wires really invaded on my living room space since it required the sensors to be in opposite corners of the room. The third sensor fixed that.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Seashell Salesman posted:

I'm currently playing 360 standing with two sensors and, while I'm planning to add another sensor or two when I move to a larger room, I don't feel like using two sensors is causing any issues at all in my current setup.

I feel like I made this same post when I first setup my 360.,

I then started playing onward more. And going prone a lot more.
I then started noticing drop outs, all the time. Mostly low or corners (you still have blind corners).

So if you actually walk around your roomscale playspace, you'll notice it more. If you don't have space to wander around in it, you may never notice.

Soundboxing, Does NOT like 2 camera 360. You need 2 in front of you. The game was unplayable with 2 cameras for me.

rio posted:

I don’t think the Vive is worth the extra money considering how cheap the Rift is now, and the touch controllers are much better than the Vive wands (in my opinion) with button placement, design and comfort. The headset is lighter too.

Agreed on the money part without a doubt. I cannot find a single reason to go Vive personally. Touch controllers are better than vive wands, and while you can argue lighthouses are better, is it worth the money and controller downgrade?

And before any vive hardcore fan or whatever throws a fit about me saying touch is better. Remember when your battery died last time you were playing? Yeah, Me too, I swapped a new one in, you had to stop playing or go tethered.

;)

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 23, 2017

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I finished playing Heart of the Emberstone and for the life of me I couldn't tell you any important details of the storyline. There was lore scattered everywhere and plenty of holograms talking but tbh nothing really clicked or sunk it. Unfortunate for a game that is really very clearly about the story, since the gameplay elements themselves were quite threadbare.

In other news you can apply into a closed beta for an archery-based roguelite In Death. Movement system is imo a little wonky but the vistas are gorgeous, the game is legitimately tense in that roguelike way and dropping a knight with an arrow when he is mid-leap towards killing you is a thrilling experience. Lots of promise here.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Space Racist posted:

Theres a few options for glasses use. You can order the pre-made lens adapters like swisscm linked, which usually get good praise, theres also the option if you have access to a 3d printer to make your own insert(or just order one to be printed), and then use these 10 dollar glasses from zenni optical to pop the lenses into the inserts, or alternately you can just spend 10 dollars on those cheap zenni optical glasses and wear them as your VR glasses since they fit in quite well all by themselves from accounts.

If you're spending $350+ on a vr system, don't bother mucking about with your day to day glasses, just spend the extra to go for one of those options and not have to worry about it.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

EbolaIvory posted:

And before any vive hardcore fan or whatever throws a fit about me saying touch is better. Remember when your battery died last time you were playing? Yeah, Me too, I swapped a new one in, you had to stop playing or go tethered.

Actually, I don't. The Vive controller batteries last a looong time :p

But yeah, no real reason to go for the Vive over the Rift right now that I can think of.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Bremen posted:

But yeah, no real reason to go for the Vive over the Rift right now that I can think of.

Haha.

Yeah every night we play with a group there’s at least one vive Guy after about 3 hours who’s like “gotta charge my poo poo be back”.

I mean don’t get me wrong. 3+ hours of standing Vr is a long time but that’s like entry level omg having fun. I’d be forever charging controllers. Tbh I’d own a second set if I was a vive owner.

Hell at 99 bucks I might pickup a second set of touch controllers. Get that 4th sensor that way. (I’ve punched things a lot, gonna be warranting soon)

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

EbolaIvory posted:

Haha.

Yeah every night we play with a group there’s at least one vive Guy after about 3 hours who’s like “gotta charge my poo poo be back”.

I mean don’t get me wrong. 3+ hours of standing Vr is a long time but that’s like entry level omg having fun. I’d be forever charging controllers. Tbh I’d own a second set if I was a vive owner.

Hell at 99 bucks I might pickup a second set of touch controllers. Get that 4th sensor that way. (I’ve punched things a lot, gonna be warranting soon)

That dude's not charging his poo poo you can get a solid 8 hours out of them at least

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Bremen posted:

Vive controller batteries last for like 6-8 hours. A fresh set of AA (get rechargables) in the touch controllers last for like 40. Plus the touch controllers can swap them out in about 10 seconds vs an hour or so recharge on the vive. Most cases the Vive battery life shouldn't cause a problem but the touch solution is far better and I hope valve learns that with the knuckles and anyone else who is making a future 6dof motion controller.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

EbolaIvory posted:

Agreed on the money part without a doubt. I cannot find a single reason to go Vive personally. Touch controllers are better than vive wands, and while you can argue lighthouses are better, is it worth the money and controller downgrade?

The Touch is better but you did mention the big advantage. Lighthouses are better, and lighthouse compatible gear (Knuckles should be coming soon, which is a much better controller than either from all reports) is more versatile than being locked to Oculus supported stuff. Also the number of USB 3.0 ports required is still an issue for some.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

(Knuckles should be coming soon, which is a much better controller than either from all reports)

Lol, Valve

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

rage-saq posted:

Vive controller batteries last for like 6-8 hours. A fresh set of AA (get rechargables) in the touch controllers last for like 40. Plus the touch controllers can swap them out in about 10 seconds vs an hour or so recharge on the vive. Most cases the Vive battery life shouldn't cause a problem but the touch solution is far better and I hope valve learns that with the knuckles and anyone else who is making a future 6dof motion controller.
What I want most is controllers I can easily put on a charging dock without having to plug them in. Wireless charging would be ideal.

6-8 hours of battery life is more than enough if I can be bothered to get them recharging whenever I'm not using them.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

ShadowHawk posted:

What I want most is controllers I can easily put on a charging dock without having to plug them in. Wireless charging would be ideal.

6-8 hours of battery life is more than enough if I can be bothered to get them recharging whenever I'm not using them.
Just did a quick search, does anyone have experience with this:

https://www.bestorx.com/magnetic-charging-dock-for-htc-vive.html

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The Touch is better but you did mention the big advantage. Lighthouses are better, and lighthouse compatible gear (Knuckles should be coming soon, which is a much better controller than either from all reports) is more versatile than being locked to Oculus supported stuff. Also the number of USB 3.0 ports required is still an issue for some.

If we see knuckles anytime soon I'll be shocked, so for now, lets not pretend they exist.

Totally the light houses are nice though. But for this gen, I don't think its enough to sway recommending the vive over the oculus.

The Walrus posted:

That dude's not charging his poo poo you can get a solid 8 hours out of them at least

"That dude"
Is always "some guy" Every single time. Meaning, its not the same guy. It happens in lobbies all the time. Do you not play games with people? Onward, Someones always leaving to charge controllers. BAM, Someones always leaving to charge controllers. Well unless they have a rift :v:

I mean. I get it. But 8 hours isnt poo poo. We do 5+ hour sessions with groups regularly, so yeah. Its an issue. I mean sure if you're a guy who plays for an hour a day, here and there, 8 hours might feel like a lot of battery but really its not in any way shape or form. My wireless headset gets 20+ use hours on an internal batter, and it can go through my entire house. Why cant a vive wand last more than 8? We're at a point where batteries and wireless tech is really good. Theres just no excuse for piss poor battery.

Its a bad design, and its barely what I'd consider "good". Its borderline a joke for what they cost.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 24, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

EbolaIvory posted:

Its a bad design, and its barely what I'd consider "good". Its borderline a joke for what they cost.

Yeesh, I get it that having replaceable batteries is better than an internal non-replaceable one in the Vive controllers but I don't hear or see people going 'awww DANG my controllers are dead!' and leaving games.
I could use the same argument you are making here but swap around lighthouses with USB cameras and say something like 'woah all those cables just snaking all over the place and the USB controller snafus people deal with am I rite' and finish off with "Its a bad design, and its barely what I'd consider "good". Its borderline a joke for what they cost."

As one of those 'that guys' I've never had the batteries die on me but I also always have them charging when I'm not using them, not unlike my phone. Vive wands should have replaceable batteries and Rift should be using lighthouse. Bethesda and id shouldn't be locking out Rifts from their games and Oculus should be selling to software Vive owners. The only joke here is corporate practices :colbert:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

KakerMix posted:

Yeesh, I get it that having replaceable batteries is better than an internal non-replaceable one in the Vive controllers but I don't hear or see people going 'awww DANG my controllers are dead!' and leaving games.
I could use the same argument you are making here but swap around lighthouses with USB cameras and say something like 'woah all those cables just snaking all over the place and the USB controller snafus people deal with am I rite' and finish off with "Its a bad design, and its barely what I'd consider "good". Its borderline a joke for what they cost."

As one of those 'that guys' I've never had the batteries die on me but I also always have them charging when I'm not using them, not unlike my phone. Vive wands should have replaceable batteries and Rift should be using lighthouse. Bethesda and id shouldn't be locking out Rifts from their games and Oculus should be selling to software Vive owners. The only joke here is corporate practices :colbert:

Yeah and I'm being a bit extreme with my opinion on it but lets be real. A replacement set costs how much? And they still put lovely 8 hour batteries in them? Come on now.

Happy you've never left a lobby or friends due to dying controllers. Its great you remember to charge your poo poo. Wouldnt matter as much tho if the batteries wernt trash :P

Its not JUST because they arent replaceable. This isnt android/iphone debate here. The debate is they put lovely batteries in them, when the tech exists to boost that poo poo up. They CONTINUE to put lovely batteries in them, even though a single AA does wonders for touch. It makes no sense why they have no upgraded those at any level, be it new batteries, or more energy saving poo poo. Again wireless devices in general have 20+ use hour batteries these days. Its not 1996, the batteries exist to make the device better, HTC is just being cheap.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 24, 2017

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

"That dude"
Is always "some guy" Every single time. Meaning, its not the same guy. It happens in lobbies all the time. Do you not play games with people? Onward, Someones always leaving to charge controllers. BAM, Someones always leaving to charge controllers. Well unless they have a rift :v:

Not that I wouldn’t like better batteries and easier charging but there’s always going to be people who just don’t bother to take care of their poo poo even if the battery lasts for 100 hours. Half the phone screenshots you see online have the battery at 5%.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

KakerMix posted:

Rift Tracking is dumb and bad. Vive controllers are dumb and bad. Let's hope gen 2 has good controllers and good tracking.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Rift Tracking is dumb and bad. Vive controllers are dumb and bad. Let's hope gen 2 has good controllers and good tracking.

:yeah:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Why is rift tracking bad?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

PerrineClostermann posted:

I turned it on, drove into town, when i came back i asked it where i went and it didn't even say anything.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Well, apparently Oculus thinks my Rift is having “an abnormal hardware behavior” and they’re gonna exchange it. I guess if that doesn’t solve it, I’ll try RMAing my graphics card through Asus, but hopefully this means they saw something in the logs that indicated the headset was at fault.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Rift and Vive controllers are good for the first generation. If any company comes into Gen2 with similar or lesser controllers, then I hope they burn in hell.

Hopefully Gen2 is cheap enough to make hand+ankle controllers viable.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

PerrineClostermann posted:

It's not bad, it's just cumbersome and limited.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Thor-Stryker posted:

Rift and Vive controllers are good for the first generation. If any company comes into Gen2 with similar or lesser controllers, then I hope they burn in hell.

Gen-2 controllers already exist for the Vive, they're just still at the dev stage.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Thor-Stryker posted:

It really makes me wonder if LG is still going to release their headset (whenever that will be...) with those vive wand copies, or if they've taken the time since the reveal to prototype some different controllers.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Gen-2 controllers already exist for the Vive, they're just still at the dev stage.

I'll be honest in saying that the knuckles look and feel like 1.5gen. They're capacitive controllers with the ability to 'let go'. But will that really increase immersion outside of flashing gang-signs in a social app?

One thing I noticed when letting my non-gaming family and friends is that grabbing objects, interacting with the environment, and two-handed tools are all pretty 'meh'.

For example: putting my mom through Call Of Starseed, she was unable to catch the fuses being thrown at you for the bridge puzzle. She tried for like five minutes straight before giving up. I did it for her in a few seconds just because I understand gaming mechanics.
Future controllers need to let you do advanced concepts like double-open handed catches that are more common with non-gaming people (Which I understand is also on software developers for coding in the ability to do so.)

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Thor-Stryker posted:

I'll be honest in saying that the knuckles look and feel like 1.5gen. They're capacitive controllers with the ability to 'let go'. But will that really increase immersion outside of flashing gang-signs in a social app?

One thing I noticed when letting my non-gaming family and friends is that grabbing objects, interacting with the environment, and two-handed tools are all pretty 'meh'.

For example: putting my mom through Call Of Starseed, she was unable to catch the fuses being thrown at you for the bridge puzzle. She tried for like five minutes straight before giving up. I did it for her in a few seconds just because I understand gaming mechanics.
Future controllers need to let you do advanced concepts like double-open handed catches that are more common with non-gaming people (Which I understand is also on software developers for coding in the ability to do so.)

I think there's way more that can be done for that on the current Touch controllers, and I sort of doubt that new controllers are going to prompt devs who aren't already experimenting to do so.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://venturebeat.com/2017/12/23/oculus-patent-seeks-convertible-hdmi-that-can-be-powered-by-a-pc-or-phone/amp/

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Evil propaganda. Vive controllers are cool and good. I don't understand what the issue is. The rechargable batteries last a good while. The touchpads > analogue sticks. Holding them feels comfortable and fairly lightweight. I like them very much.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Space Racist posted:

I've read the Rift is a little less friendly to glasses than the Vive - how well would it work with hipster Ray-Ban frames? Mine apparently are just below the maximum recommended size (Clubmaster frames) but I'm wondering if I'd just wind up having to wear contacts every time I want to use the Rift.

I can fit my glasses without issues in my Rift. They are 13cm wide, 15cm long and 3cm high with -5, -5.5 flat lenses. I'm used to wear them all the time (IE: even under a fencing or ski mask) but they feel considerably better with the Rift than with anything else. Never had issues wearing or removing the headset or any discomfort on the nose or ears. The headset itself is adjustable enough that it shouldn't matter how big your head is.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Interesting - someone back in the thread was talking about having an HMD that can either work standalone or be plugged into a PC. Looks like that's something Oculus is considering/has considered.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Looks like VorpX got an update. https://www.vorpx.com/vorpx-17-3-0-released/

Seems like Arma 3 has 3D geometry support now. Combine that with opentrack, and it should be possible to have full 6 degrees of freedom head tracking. Gonna have to try that one out.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Rectus posted:

Seems like Arma 3 has 3D geometry support now. Combine that with opentrack, and it should be possible to have full 6 degrees of freedom head tracking. Gonna have to try that one out.
Performance will no doubt be nightmarish but please do report back. ARMA is near the top of my VR wishlist. Anyone know if BI has talked about an official VR product?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rectus posted:

Looks like VorpX got an update. https://www.vorpx.com/vorpx-17-3-0-released/

Seconding a request to report on this

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
It's still poo poo. Worst waste of $40 ever.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GutBomb posted:

It's still poo poo. Worst waste of $40 ever.

Talking about use in Arma.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

AgentF posted:

Evil propaganda. Vive controllers are cool and good. I don't understand what the issue is. The rechargable batteries last a good while. The touchpads > analogue sticks. Holding them feels comfortable and fairly lightweight. I like them very much.

The touchpads are ok, the grip buttons are trash, and the controllers suck for anything that isn't a gun. The touch controllers are just miles better. The knuckles controllers might be even better than touch, but those haven't been released yet. For all we know, it's just another dead valve project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

For anyone that was interested in 'From Other Suns', its 50% off through amazon right now:
https://www.amazon.com/Gunfire-Games-LLC-From-Other/dp/B077SS5Z5Z