Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Omobono posted:

:magical:

What happened to you Sonic? You used to be fun.

Sonic Mania is really good.

Forces, not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Mania is good but if the only good game in recent years is a nostalgia throwback to Genesis era gameplay then it's really time to take Blue Yeller behind the shed.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Omobono posted:

Mania is good but if the only good game in recent years is a nostalgia throwback to Genesis era gameplay then it's really time to take Blue Yeller behind the shed.

A nostalgia throwback to the Genesis era gameplay NOT made by sonic team***

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Omobono posted:

The best description was whoever said that the people making Sonic don't give a gently caress about him and the people who deeply care about Sonic shouldn't be allowed within 500 feet of an elementary school or petting zoo.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Sonic is the sort of franchise that has its own Palace.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Omobono posted:

Oh, it still is. It just can never live up to people's hopes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Tae posted:

Do you really want Sega involved again

:stare:

I'm going to pretend this is a fan edit.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Absolutely wasted opportunity to give Original the Character a Morgana outfit that gives them the power to make robots go to sleep.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Supersonic Shine posted:

I feel like there's some connection between Abdul Alhazred and Egypt, but the best I found was that he visited the ruins of Memphis during his travels.

I hear they have pretty good BBQ at least.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 80: 7/27: Morgana The Gross Car

Boss: Cognitive Wakaba Isshiki

Music: Will Power

So, Cognitive Wakaba Isshiki, or the Sphinx. The Sphinx here represents Wrath, I guess, the true sin of Futaba’s palace, but turned inward instead of outward due to guilt, self-loathing and all that jazz. The real demon of wrath was Satan, but that doesn’t matter because the sinner here isn’t a Shadow.

Shoot it down with this, then beat the crap out of it!
Ahhh, I get it now! Let’s go!
We’re gonna fire that giant arrow thing, right?

We’re going to send Ryuji, because he doesn’t have much utility at this stage of the fight due to his low Magic, lack of support skills, and Wind weakness. Don’t worry, we brought him for a reason beyond Tarukaja.

Don’t let the ballista-summoning fool you into thinking things will be different; Futaba is still Captain Obvious, just like previous navigators.

Sphinx Swipe is a new move that attacks every party member on the field. It’s bad for us!

And here’s the reason we bring Ryuji instead of Ann: 651 loving points of damage. The real reason Wakaba has been playing keep-away is because she’s incredibly vulnerable to Physical strikes. We could probably do more damage with Yusuke’s Tempest Slash, but he doesn’t have Tarukaja. With Rakunda and Tarukaja both up on Wakaba/Ryuji, we see returns of around 1200 damage.

Wakaba won’t get up until her third turn, which gives us plenty of time to attack.

This is how much damage Freila does with Rakunda, for the record. It’s not great. But we brought Makoto for more than just her damage, as you’ll see shortly.

And she finally gets up.

Necronomicon replaces the spent arrow.

You goddamn braaats!

Don’t complain, Ryuji! Do you want to get knocked on your rear end over and over?

This is Dreadful Scream, which is an odd attack that seems to target anywhere from one to three party members. It’s pretty bad for us because it inflicts Despair. It’s big part of the reason to bring Makoto and a few Relax Gels, because we’re sunk otherwise. Notice how it misses Makoto in the above picture: if it hadn’t, we’d be screwed, because I wouldn’t be able to act and everyone would be dead in three turns.

Now, I believe it takes a few turns longer for the ballista to target Wakaba the second time, which means we’re going to have to last with three party members for that much longer.

What are you, my therapist?

Anyway, after another round of attacks...

And children I don’t need… should be killed!

I can tell… with my Persona. I’ll let you know when the enemy’s approaching! You’re still OK! It’s far away right now!

This time we’re prepared.

On a previous run I had the ballista fire on the same turn Wakaba landed, launching her straight into her death animation—after she wrecked my party with Sphinx Dive.

Once we knock her down and deplete her health, a special animation starts.

If only I had never birthed you…!

...I will live! FIRE!

And the Sphinx is down.

Morgana learns Mediarama to replace Media, which would have been REALLY NICE to have for this fight, dude

Also, Makoto learns Defense Master (Automatic Rakukaja at the start of battle) to replace Vajra Blast.

Futaba!
drat, you’re freakin’ incredible!

Music: Alleycat

Mom!?
Huh…?
Futaba. Thank you for choosing to remember the real me.
I’m sorry for being so selfish. Mom...

This isn’t where you’re supposed to be, is it?
But I finally got to see you again...
Are you being selfish again?
Um, I… I love you, Mom...
I love you too, Futaba. Now, you should get going.

…...

Home. I know how to use the Nav now.

She left...
That girl marches to the beat of her own drum, doesn’t she?
Like you’re one to talk.
But if we have her on our side… Wait, what about her Treasure!?
Oh yeah! We almost forgot.

Music: Run, Run, Run!

The Palace shakes.

Eek!
What’s goin’ on!? Wasn’t it supposed to be here!?
Futaba herself was the Treasure! And she’s gone, so of course it’s empty!

The shaking intensifies.

Shoot… This is bad!
What’s the matter?
Not only did the real person come into her own Palace, she awakened to a Persona while she was here! This place could collapse any second now!
We’ve accomplished our mission if her Palace is crumbling. We should hurry back to reality.
That would be wise.

Pyramid Escape (Watch this)

Music: The Collapse of Wrath

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Everyone lands… safely… in the car.

Hey… You guys still alive?

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

I thought I was gonna die in—HEY! Will you let go already!?

Ann elbows Yusuke.

Ah, sorry!
N-Not again...

...Hm? What’re you guys doing out here?
Oh, ummm...
That reminds me, where’s Futaba?
What about Futaba?

SHUT UP RYUJI. GOD.

Oh, ummm...
Ah, yes! We came all this way, so how about we enjoy some coffee?
Oh! That’s a great idea!
That’s fine, but...
I’m not thirsty though.

Makoto punches Yusuke in the ribs. Poor guy’s getting it from all sides today.

Oh, I almost forgot! I have some business to take care of, so you guys go on ahead.
O-OK, gotcha!

Music: Suspicion

Oh dear.

Futaba? Can you hear me? Please, say something! Please… Could this be our fault? Is it because we defeated her monstrous mother…?
No, that was nothing more than a cognitive being created in her mind. Destroying it wouldn’t cause memory loss or put a physical burden on her...
What should we do…?
Hey, don’t you know a doctor?
You do? Can you contact them?

I could, but things are a little awkward between us right now. See, I don’t have enough Charm, but you’d know all about that Makoto...

Oh hey Takemi, how’s it going? Your life’s work still meaningless because your patient’s dead? Rough.

How much will it be…?
...That was a joke.

HA. HA. FUNNY.

So, um… how is her condition?
Her pulse, breathing, temperature, and blood pressure are all normal. No ocular abnormalities either. I’m not sure why, but it seems this girl is in some kind of light stupor. Furthermore, she lacks muscle for her age. I doubt she has much stamina either.
I see. The rebound from her awakening was too strong.

Not in front of the doctor, Makoto.

There may have been too many abnormal circumstances…
We simply cannot keep quiet about this. We should let Boss know.
Wouldn’t he figure out our identities!?
Still… we should tell him, shouldn’t we?

Stop talking to the cat in front of the doctor, Makoto.

Mm, I think that would be best. Letting him know is really the only option we have.
I guess it can’t be helped now… Just keep the circumstances that led up to this a secret, OK?

……
……
Oh dear...
……
Um… About Futaba…

Futaba-chan’s condition...
What, this? It happens every so often.

Huh?

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

She must’ve used up all her energy. It’s like she ran out of batteries. I think it happens ‘cause she doesn’t get enough exercise.

That’s dumb!

My feelings exactly, Ryuji.

She stays like this for a few days whenever this happens. I’ll make sure she gets plenty of rest. Here, keep an eye on her. I’m gonna go close the store.

Yeah, I’m feelin’ pretty frustrated...
I’m glad she’s OK… but what are we gonna do about Medjed?

She’s up!
Medjed… ……. Tired. Gonna sleep for a bit.

Futaba-chan! For a bit…? How much is she planning on sleeping…? We probably shouldn’t wake her up either…
What to do…
It’s too late for us to find another hacker…
All we can do is wait for her to wake up...

Music: Beneath the Mask

It is hard for me to even fathom what it could be.
People have really been up in arms about the whole cleanse thing...

Uhhh, sorry! My bad, dude!
No matter how you look at it, we need a countermeasure.
Our best bet would be Alibaba…
But she may not be capable of it in her current state.
I guess we should think of some other ways too then.
Yes, it would be best to have as many solutions as possible.
Well we still got time, so let’s come up with something good, k?

After all that, we’re just going to find a different solution? Yeah, I don’t think so.

The chief is with her. I’m sure everything will be OK. Now we just gotta wait for Futaba to wake up...

Right now, we’re here at the planetarium in Ikebukuro! Looking up and seeing a sky full of stars is so romantic. And the atmosphere here is so soothing!
Such a magical place. If you want to get close to someone, this is the date spot to visit.
We’ve got one more place to introduce in our summer special feature! You’ve been living under a rock if you’ve never heard of this one. It’s Destinyland in Maihama! As usual, it’s packed with people. It’s a captivating world of dreams and hope!
I’ve always dreamed of going there with a girlfriend. It really feels like a place of destiny.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also don't link the trailer for P5D here, there's a very minor spoiler for a future party member that only I care about

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Futaba can sleep for at most almost three weeks, goddamn this girl is energy efficient.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Arist posted:

Also don't link the trailer for P5D here, there's a very minor spoiler for a future party member that only I care about

Not P5D, but info about P5A got announced apparently. Joker has a new official name, which is Ren Amamiya.

Also, I saw a YouTube video of a guy who beat Cognitive Wakaba on Merciless without using the ballista the second time, instead using Physical Ointments to reflect her Sphinx Dive back at her.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Arist posted:

Trailer for what?

Uh, apparently Dancing All Night has now become a go-to spinoff, as we're getting P5: Dancing Star Night and P3: Dancing Moon Night.

GhostStalker posted:

Not P5D, but info about P5A got announced apparently. Joker has a new official name, which is Ren Amamiya.

And arena too? Makes sense to be honest, though.

quote:

Also, I saw a YouTube video of a guy who beat Cognitive Wakaba on Merciless without using the ballista the second time, instead using Physical Ointments to reflect her Sphinx Dive back at her.

I don't know what exactly in the formulas causes this, but when the party reflects damage it deals way more damage than it should. Are you forced to use the ballista the first time?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The boss doesn't use Sphinx Dive until a certain threshold.

Also they were talking about the anime, not arena, I believe.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I personally believe that the Sphinx being able to cast full-party Despair is the meanest thing any boss in the game does.

Especially for my first time through when I didn't know about it and thus didn't bring Makoto.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Omobono posted:

Trailer for what?

Uh, apparently Dancing All Night has now become a go-to spinoff, as we're getting P5: Dancing Star Night and P3: Dancing Moon Night.

And arena too? Makes sense to be honest, though.

Arist posted:

Also they were talking about the anime, not arena, I believe.

Yeah, I meant Persona 5 the Animation, not Arena. I forgot about the use of that abbreviation for Arena.

Also, P3D and P5D were announced months ago, alongside PQ2. Didn't know there was a new trailer out for them yet though. But they are great trailers, now that I've seen them.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 25, 2017

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Sojiro is a really bad dad if his reaction to Futaba being in a coma for multiple days is to just say "yeah that just happens"

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

At this point I managed to have a way to break people out of despair on both Makoto and the Main Character, I think I also used a persona with physical and wind immunity so it was kind of amusing just to sit there and take no damage from most of Wakaba the Sphinx's stuff.

Also the thing about not enough exercise is actually semi-legit, doing exercise gets the body working so it produces more energy, it also helps you sleep better and so would in fact make you less tired after a while. If Futaba really is alone in her room and doing nothing but computing for days on end she probably has the world's most awful sleep patterns, add in some serious strain in awakening a Persona and hard work immediately after and her zonking out for a while is pretty reasonable.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 25, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

It's just been revoked. :getin:

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's just been revoked. :getin:

Oh gently caress.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

GeneX posted:

Sojiro is a really bad dad if his reaction to Futaba being in a coma for multiple days is to just say "yeah that just happens"

Except the doctor looked at her and it's not a coma.

Well it is realistic about one thing: being a shut in means you don't get any exercise and Futaba is short stuff due to her unhealthy lifestyle.

Blademaster_Aio fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 25, 2017

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Well it is realistic about one thing: being a shut in means you don't get any exercise and Futaba is short stuff due to her unhealthy lifestyle.

Is she actually going to fully join the party now or is she just non-crippled Oracle?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

C. Everett Koop posted:

Is she actually going to fully join the party now or is she just non-crippled Oracle?

Maaku suddenly feels like he needs to put on the most tourist getup he can find and deliver flowers to Futaba.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

ok, she's just unconscious indefinitely

much better

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

It's literally just sleep deprivation and exhaustion. The indefinite thing is probably like with all the other dungeons and subsequent confessions, important plot event happens on a specific day so even if you complete dungeon beforehand the targets will wait until then to confess their sins and prove you successfully changed their hearts.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 25, 2017

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Yeah it's pretty much Atlus needing a way to keep the plot from advancing if you completed her palace immediately.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

Yeah it's pretty much Atlus needing a way to keep the plot from advancing if you completed her palace immediately.

yes but it's one with really iffy implications regarding Sojiro's already suspect parenting skills

doesn't change him being really good though, he's great

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Funky Valentine posted:

Yeah, but that's why the other people who have dungeons don't go into details beyond "They're recovering". Because holy poo poo Sojiro, her just passing out for three weeks is not okay and you need to go find a hospital to test for sleeping sickness or something.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Stroth posted:

Yeah, but that's why the other people who have dungeons don't go into details beyond "They're recovering". Because holy poo poo Sojiro, her just passing out for three weeks is not okay and you need to go find a hospital to test for sleeping sickness or something.

presumably she wakes up and gets some food and drink/goes to the bathroom every few hours before going back to her room and passing out again

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
She actually feels better after a few days but spends the rest of the remaining time getting distracted by Overwatch and cute kitten videos on Youtube, and so she just pretends to be asleep when people come to check up on her because she feels guilty about not taking care of Medjed.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

PoptartsNinja posted:

She actually feels better after a few days but spends the rest of the remaining time getting distracted by Overwatch and cute kitten videos on Youtube, and so she just pretends to be asleep when people come to check up on her because she feels guilty about not taking care of Medjed.

I would believe this.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

PoptartsNinja posted:

ok this works

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I see that Makoto has taken some stunt driving lessons off-screen, much to Morgana's chagrin.

PoptartsNinja posted:

This is canon until the game states otherwise.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Wait, her sin is Wrath? Gotta admit, I would not think that. I suppose I should be glad that they didn't make it obvious with her doing violence against herself.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hell, same

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Wait, her sin is Wrath? Gotta admit, I would not think that. I suppose I should be glad that they didn't make it obvious with her doing violence against herself.

Yeah, suicide is classified under wrath (7 deadly sins, medieval Italy fanfiction, etc.) and she was feeling pretty suicidal there, sloth was just the way she was going at it.

As for her shutting down, it actually happened to me once for a day. It is a thing that can happen (not particularly healthy). Of course the three weeks are the seams of the plot showing.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

AradoBalanga posted:

I see that Makoto has taken some stunt driving lessons off-screen, much to Morgana's chagrin.

Thus continuing the trend of Makoto Gets poo poo Done while everybody else flails around. Though Joker gets points for his cool method of putting a cap in Old Desert Yeller at least.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The next sin is much more obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Huh, I never thought about wrath for Futaba. I always thought it was using sloth with despair as the twist "real" sin.