Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darkest Auer posted:

It's literally the reason why the units are composed of people from other provinces

They were brought in from other provinces because they would hold little social connection, understanding or loyalty to to those they were going to crush. It also allows you to control the logistics train so if they turn on you they won't be able to do so effectively for long. It's a standard play in every authoritarian playbook through out history. Any reduction in PTSD is incidental if it even happens at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Raptor1033 posted:

Wonder how many of those soldiers developed PTSD and offed themselves. Or does Face allow one to disconnect that cause you were doing a good job following orders?

Thats not a face thing, just following orders is a real thing your brain does to justify itself

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 23, 2017

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
True enough. I should've remembered from my readings on the extermination squads of ww2 Poland. We're real good At dismissing atrocities if we have deniability.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Raptor1033 posted:

We're real good At dismissing atrocities if we have deniability.

drunken hookups explained

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
how long does it take eating chinese street food for the gutter oil to accumulate in such a way in your system as to cause constant irreversible diarrhea?

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Fututor Magnus posted:

how long does it take eating chinese street food for the gutter oil to accumulate in such a way in your system as to cause constant irreversible diarrhea?

7 to 10 days

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/10-000-killed-chinas-1989-tiananmen-crackdown-british-063526012.html

"Students linked arms but were mown down including soldiers. APCs then ran over bodies time and time again to make 'pie' and remains collected by bulldozer. Remains incinerated and then hosed down drains."
There's footage of it, too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9A51jN19zw

I skim-watched this with Chaoshan Girl. It was p good. Don't attempt to read the comments.

The official death tolls on it are laughably low. Some people on reddit (not useless r/China) pointed out that the CCP claims this rocket blooper killed only 6, even though the locals said it was thousands. You can see how destroyed the village is in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBJ9ue6GKek

This is one of several "whoops" rocket explosions with civilian death tolls in the 90's in China. Some of them were blamed on the wind.

AEMINAL posted:

guys living in china: how is the certain shortening of your lifespan from the insane pollution china suffers from worth it in the end? do you blast those 100 dollar xiaomi air purifiers and gangbang multiple poorly fitting bootleg 3M masks on your face?? im pretty sure chinese rice/wheat/corn etc is heavily polluted by ground waste water seepage lol, no way to hide

just seems loving stupid when you could live in switzerland or germany or sweden or norway, you know, good places Lol

edit: forgot about the stunted chinese girls that look like children, Lol. thats probably a big draw. Plunge on!!
This is some poor trolling. Come on. Put a little effort into it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Today my in-laws decided that a screaming toddler can have a drat glass of cold water, anything to make the kid shut up. He has different biology anyway so he won't benefit from it being hot.

Merry Christmas.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Atlas Hugged posted:

Today my in-laws decided that a screaming toddler can have a drat glass of cold water

instead of formula? makes sense.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Nah, it just needed a cigarette.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Nah he's almost 2 so strict milk/formula hasn't been a thing for awhile. At this age he should be drinking water and milk and eating food most of the time. But when he asks them for water or milk they always go with hot. He hates it and screams. They've finally caved and they give him cold water and milk.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Atlas Hugged posted:

when he asks them for water or milk they always go with hot. He hates it and screams.

wait, which goon in china are we talking about?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

A couple days back I was given water that was literally still boiling, just a gush of steam out of the glass.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Atlas Hugged posted:

Nah he's almost 2 so strict milk/formula hasn't been a thing for awhile. At this age he should be drinking water and milk and eating food most of the time. But when he asks them for water or milk they always go with hot. He hates it and screams. They've finally caved and they give him cold water and milk.

We could all learn a lesson from him.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Atlas Hugged posted:

He hates it and screams. They've finally caved and they give him cold water and milk.

Smart kid! Just 2 and already has working with mainlanders mastered.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

beep-beep car is go posted:

Smart kid! Just 2 and already has working with mainlanders mastered.

Sadly they don't even have being mainlanders as an excuse.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
my wife thinks my mil got cancer from drinking too hot water so long

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

angel opportunity posted:

my wife thinks my mil got cancer from drinking too hot water so long

But hot water is good for healthy, how can this be???

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Prolonged consumption of excessively hot beverages can damage the cells in the esophagus and lead to neoplasias such as cancer.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

McGavin posted:

Prolonged consumption of excessively hot beverages can damage the cells in the esophagus and lead to neoplasias such as cancer.

you are not chinese, .

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

McGavin posted:

I'm legit scared that this is my fate.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

McGavin posted:

yeah mil actually got cancer and this is why my wife thinks she got it. of course mil still won’t touch even a room temperature beverage

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

oohhboy posted:

They were brought in from other provinces because they would hold little social connection, understanding or loyalty to to those they were going to crush. It also allows you to control the logistics train so if they turn on you they won't be able to do so effectively for long. It's a standard play in every authoritarian playbook through out history. Any reduction in PTSD is incidental if it even happens at all.

The Tienanmen square protest wasn't really crushed until troops from a few provinces over arrived. They found that the local troops were easily persuaded to not run over teens with tanks or shoot unarmed people because they could more easily identify with them and would actually listen to the old people telling them to stop their tanks. Once the the country-bumpkin division showed up it was "Charge of the Nong Brigade", and they didn't give a crap about running over and shooting rich city university students.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I'm legit scared that this is my fate.

booze can strip away the protective mucus in your esophagus

smoking can hit it pretty hard with carcinogens

good luck

(i already know i have cancer from polonium lurking around my lungs from the cancer sticks but my throat will probably get me first)

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Blistex posted:

The Tienanmen square protest wasn't really crushed until troops from a few provinces over arrived. They found that the local troops were easily persuaded to not run over teens with tanks or shoot unarmed people because they could more easily identify with them and would actually listen to the old people telling them to stop their tanks. Once the the country-bumpkin division showed up it was "Charge of the Nong Brigade", and they didn't give a crap about running over and shooting rich city university students.

All that practice running over and shooting Uighurs finally paid off.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

P-Mack posted:

All that practice running over and shooting Uighurs finally paid off.

In 89 the only practice they had was probably getting hosed in Vietnam.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It must be handy having a country diverse but segregated enough that you can have whole military units that see large chunks of your civilian population as an inhuman others.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Grand Fromage posted:

A couple days back I was given water that was literally still boiling, just a gush of steam out of the glass.

my favorite part of this is that its always a tiny cup/glass with no handle

thats cool i just like scalding my fingers and throat to enjoy a small amount of liquid with my giant plate of salt and oil

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS

Blistex posted:

I actually just had a nightmare last night that this happened in America but with our hillbillies. It was awful. Thanks for seeding my subconscious, thread.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Escape Addict posted:

I actually just had a nightmare last night that this happened in America but with our hillbillies. It was awful. Thanks for seeding my subconscious, thread.

Bad news bud, that's not a dream you're the oracle. What's tomorrow's power ball number?

randomcommoner
Sep 6, 2006
it's a-me

Baronjutter posted:

It must be handy having a country diverse but segregated enough that you can have whole military units that see large chunks of your civilian population as an inhuman others.
It's a nong-eat-nong world.

boner penis
Oct 1, 2012

To Be is to get HYPHY
To Know is to go DUMB
THE DISEASE IS SPREADING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhFn0DU-LN8

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This is 100% made in america fast food behavior.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

randomcommoner posted:

It's a nong-eat-nong world.

so, the n-word is cool again? thank you, trump.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

ladron posted:

Lol n word

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

angel opportunity posted:

yeah mil actually got cancer and this is why my wife thinks she got it. of course mil still won’t touch even a room temperature beverage
It also doesn't help that Mainlanders think heating heavy-metaled highly polluted tap water makes it safe to drink over something important like filtering it as much as possible. I always loved hearing the phrase "make water" meaning "take the brown sludge we call tap water and boil it for 5 minutes and then it's perfectly safe for consumption."

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ladron posted:

lol shut up u fuckin oval office

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
is nong a slur or is it equivalent to bogan and redneck

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
who cares, you think the mainlanders ask themselves that question before calling you guizi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

underage at the vape shop posted:

is nong a slur or is it equivalent to bogan and redneck

the latter. just means "agriculture". nongmin = farmer, nongchang = farm, etc.

• Locked thread