Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Unlikely I know, but do any of you have Primaris Intercessor auxiliary grenade launcher bits you'd be willing to part with? I need a couple and my usual sources are failing me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Unlikely I know, but do any of you have Primaris Intercessor auxiliary grenade launcher bits you'd be willing to part with? I need a couple and my usual sources are failing me.

I have two you can have.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Deofuta posted:

Quick rules question for y'all since my google fu seems lacking. Are there any rules about models needing to remain upright during a game? I had someone in our gamestore recently have a model of his charge a unit by laying it flat on the board, which allowed its wing to enter melee range while avoiding other units that had been trying to provide a protective bubble around them. It sounded like nonsense to me, but I also couldn't easily show that it was against the rules as written.

Technically I think you could handle this under the Wobbly Model Syndrome rule, but I don't think there's explicitly a rule because no one has ever been that much of a stupid rear end in a top hat to try it. I'm almost impressed - I'd let the guy get away with it that once, and then instantly pummel anyone else who tried that poo poo.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Its called the spear, and I'm fairly sure it's the ideal charging finisher.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
I'll try and find a witness to provide a poorly done MS paint picture depicting the scene, and I agree that its complete nonsense even if there is no particular rule disbarring it.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Technowolf posted:

There's also Canoptek Wraith lower bodies.

Merton Blask posted:

Also the big power cables connecting the sides of the Necron Tesseract Vault. They’re not very desirable bits-wise, so they pop up on eBay here and there.

Thanks guys I didn't even consider necron stuff.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
No part of a model can end up more than the movement distance away from where they started. You can't rotate your model to gain distance, especially on its side jfc

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MasterSlowPoke posted:

No part of a model can end up more than the movement distance away from where they started. You can't rotate your model to gain distance, especially on its side jfc

Yeah, the movement rules might cover that.

Also holy poo poo that's sad.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of the Necron Tesseract, last night I played against it in a 1000 point game and learned that apparently you can't charge it unless your model's highest point comes within an inch of the Tesseract's model. Or just reaching the base is fine. It ate my army thanks to its mortal wound spam and me not being able to roll high enough to charge even with my Kraken Nids.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I have two you can have.

Great. I'll PM you.

Deofuta posted:

Quick rules question for y'all since my google fu seems lacking. Are there any rules about models needing to remain upright during a game? I had someone in our gamestore recently have a model of his charge a unit by laying it flat on the board, which allowed its wing to enter melee range while avoiding other units that had been trying to provide a protective bubble around them. It sounded like nonsense to me, but I also couldn't easily show that it was against the rules as written.

That is the most absurdly bald-faced bit of cheating I've heard of in ages. It's just so unabashed I'm impressed.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 24, 2017

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Great. I'll PM you.

That is the most absurdly bald-faced bit of cheating I've heard of in ages. It's just so unabashed I'm impressed.

That's approaching "it doesn't say I cant remove your models from the board" levels of rules lawyering.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
My friend's combination of simultaneously laughing and shouting "oh gently caress off" summed it up pretty well. I'm still grinning at the audacity of it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Artum posted:

That's approaching "it doesn't say I cant remove your models from the board" levels of rules lawyering.

Serious Question, if you move your models into cover but there's a little bit sticking out, is it against the rules to snip that bit off right then?

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
How about making your marines 'go prone' at the end of their movement, oh the possibilities!

Thanks for the responses so far, glad I'm not alone in seeing the ridiculousness of it.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Guy Goodbody posted:

Serious Question, if you move your models into cover but there's a little bit sticking out, is it against the rules to snip that bit off right then?

Look if you're not going to take this hobby seriously and assemble everything solely with magnets instead of glue then maybe you shouldnt play.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
It's never come up (because I don't use them) but the thought has previously crossed my mind about the Imperial Guard Steel Legion heavy bolter models. You know, this feller:

These guys only come up to about knee height on a guardsman or space marine, and drawing line of sight for shooting and being shot at pretty much doesn't work unless you're sitting out in the open. My friends and I, when presented with such a ridiculous model, would agree beforehand that they could draw LoS to and from standard guardsman height, but I always imagined there would be a good number of people out there who would try to gently caress each other over with rules lawyering.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'd go by the "if I can't see you, you can't see me" if someone pulled that.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Yeah isn't that what you'd just do for silly situations like that

Obviously if you can't see them how are they shooting you

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Hamshot posted:

Despite setbacks, agony, drawn blood, never receiving the package with the lighting system, being the biggest little bitch about it in the slack :siren: Toxx complete!:siren:

(cultist for scale)

Lacrimas Rosa, or the Bloody Rose, Legio Oculorrhexis, Forgeworld Meninx, a warlord titan aligned to the Warmaster.

Travels with the word bearers, so the corruption has already begun.

Fully magnetized and with a system for interchangeable weapons for every option.

More pictures, including some detail shots, here.

This needs to be seen here in all its glory.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Hencoe posted:

This needs to be seen here in all its glory.

Yeah, the fleshtone on his biceps is great.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Floppychop posted:

goose willis posted:

Yeah isn't that what you'd just do for silly situations like that

Obviously if you can't see them how are they shooting you

That's just it though, "Your heavy bolter team can't see over the aegis defense line/sandbags/anything at all in front of them. They can't shoot my dudes, but I won't be able to target them either. You have to bring them out of cover or you can't use them." isn't really a solution for how bad this particular model is with regard to line of sight. This particular sculpt requires you to either discuss a work around with your opponent before hand, or they're totally useless sitting ducks. It's like the old prone Catachan sniper sculpt, it just doesn't stand up to the current rules, and needs special consideration. Without discussing that special consideration beforehand, tomfoolery will ensue. They used to be even worse, as the original base they shipped with was like 1mm thick.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Deofuta posted:

There's the golden rule, which is "gently caress off with that poo poo or I'm throwing the model on the ground and stamping on it since nothing in the rules says I can't."

Reading through the rules again, the only references I can find to bases are in the Movement phase, where it specifically says "no part of the model's base (or hull) can move further than..." and specifically references the same for flyers with minimum moves later on. All later references are just "within 12"" or "move so that the model finishes within 1"."

Since no movement works without referencing the Movement phase rules for how you move stuff, his move is illegal (otherwise e.g. normal infantry can charge through other models, nothing stops you charging and placing your Rhino on top of some Guardsmen, etc.).

The other angle is that 40k is a permissive ruleset - the rules tell you what you can do, not what you can't do. This is the fundamental underpinning of how special rules work - the general rules say "you can do x or y" and then a special rule says "in this circumstance, you can also choose z." Sometimes z is "do something disallowed in the normal rules" such as pistols shooting at units within 1", sometimes it's "do something not provided for in the normal rules" like charging 3D6".

Reynold posted:

That's just it though, "Your heavy bolter team can't see over the aegis defense line/sandbags/anything at all in front of them. They can't shoot my dudes, but I won't be able to target them either. You have to bring them out of cover or you can't use them." isn't really a solution for how bad this particular model is with regard to line of sight. This particular sculpt requires you to either discuss a work around with your opponent before hand, or they're totally useless sitting ducks. It's like the old prone Catachan sniper sculpt, it just doesn't stand up to the current rules, and needs special consideration. Without discussing that special consideration beforehand, tomfoolery will ensue. They used to be even worse, as the original base they shipped with was like 1mm thick.

100% a "talk to your opponent" situation. Anyone sensible will say treat them like a normal HWT (which it's worth noting are not, as sold, regular Guardsmen height but are all modelled kneeling). If someone insists on strict TLoS, that's up to them, but I find that kind of player is usually not that good and you can spend the rest of the game stiffing them back on things.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 24, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

In non-rules fussing news, here's a Cybernetica Datasmith I painted up yesterday:

Just need to do his shooty robot friends now. I'm trying to get everything ready so that when my 6k or so of stuff shows up for Apoc next week it's all painted.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

A buddy of mine got me a demon prince for Christmas! I play Emperor's Children and was thinking about kit bashing the legs to be mechanical snake tendrils. Anyone know of a reasonable facsimile bit I could use?

I was thinking of using maulerfiend whips, but I'm not sure if they're the right size. Also, is giving it Intoxicating Elixer and Diabolic strength with two malefic talons the load out I should be shooting for here? I figured it would make the most sense considering the legion traits and stuff, but I'm not sure. Just looking for general opinions. :)

The elixer is a great relic, going to str8 is big. If you get diabolic power off then even better for killing the surising amount of T8 we see now adays.

Two claws are especially good for this config, gets the most out of the buffs.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
EC Princes are really fun, amazing beatsticks of a character.

Warlord-trait wise I'm kinda partial to the one that adds attacks as it loses wounds.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

I have one that I clipped off sprue into my bits box yesterday if you need any more.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Floppychop posted:

This is why smart games use standardized volume cylinders for LOS so that they can sculpt poo poo like flowing capes or weird poses without it affecting gameplay.

Science Rocket
Sep 4, 2006

Putting the Flash in Flash Man

Guy Goodbody posted:

As long as you scream "Get your head down newbie" at your model as you clip the offending piece off, I think it's legit tactic

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Deofuta posted:

adamantium|wang posted:

hams are the loving worst

worse than star wars fans even

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Science Rocket posted:

As long as you scream "Get your head down newbie" at your model as you clip the offending piece off, I think it's legit tactic

"Well you see my entire army is fighting with high explosive ammo" I explain as I take a hacksaw to the cover that your tank is hiding behind.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Can't be real, russ hated spears.
:goonsay:

I don't know if them forgetting to list 2/5ths of his equipment makes it more or less authentic.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Artum posted:

I don't know if them forgetting to list 2/5ths of his equipment makes it more or less authentic.

Someone named Michael Tite said it's real on Faeit. Although I suddenly seem to have a gigantic pile of salt outside my house for some reason.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I'm still new at this game (I've never played a real match) despite owning a bunch of Ork models for a few years. Playing casually against my friend has made me realize that I don't really like the Ork play style. What army should I play if I prefer:

A. Killing my opponent's guys from as far away as possible?

B. Having a few elite units instead of a mass of cheap ones?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

If this is real thats a very dangerous path for GW to go down. If I were a Space Wolf player that would very likely turn me off of the army entirely.

Farecoal posted:

I'm still new at this game (I've never played a real match) despite owning a bunch of Ork models for a few years. Playing casually against my friend has made me realize that I don't really like the Ork play style. What army should I play if I prefer:

A. Killing my opponent's guys from as far away as possible?

B. Having a few elite units instead of a mass of cheap ones?

Definitely not Orks.

You're probably looking for Space Marines or Tau with battlesuits overall.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

A: Imperial Guard has tons of excellent tanks that are pretty cheap and there are turrets for basically any kind of situation and you can just spam nothing but tanks with a spearhead detachment

B: Marine armies in either loyalist or Chaos variants and while the codices are a little bland on the customization end they're still very effective, you can also try Grey Knights though I hear mixed things because they're not as insanely strong as they used to be

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Pendent posted:

If this is real thats a very dangerous path for GW to go down. If I were a Space Wolf player that would very likely turn me off of the army entirely.

Search within your heart and you know there's no way in hell that's real

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

Search within your heart and you know there's no way in hell that's real

I'd be very surprised if it were, but there've been rumors for a while now about one of the loyalist primachs falling to chaos and one of the traitors returning to the Imperium. Weirder, dumber things have happened.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
It is at least more believeable than the "leaked" lion stats that referenced mechanics removed from the game.

Roll on the new years open day so we might know whats coming after the Chaos Daemons codex.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Even with an IG tank army you are gonna want to have at least 40 infantrymen to screen the tanks. I'd go with Tau or Grey Knights if I was you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

It's not real because non-cult Chaos gets exactly one release per edition and the codex is already out